PDA

View Full Version : air drying

twoLs118
September 10th, 2012, 07:57 AM
i've recently gotten into the habit of air drying my hair all the time... since my hair does have some curl to it, it gets frizzy at the ends sometimes

can someone recommend a good product that i can use to smooth out the fizz without damaging my hair?

Suze2012
September 10th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I have air dried only for about 4 or 5 years now. I used to use Aussie Moist products for frizz but they didn't work much past the first few uses.

I switched to co - washing about 4 months ago and it's greatly reduced frizz.
I use a silicone free wash out conditioner as a leave in then scrunch and plop for about 20 mins to encourage the curl. I scrunch again a little bit after and go upside down to wiggle my fingers through my roots to wake them up a bit.
My hair is still very wet when I leave the house and I occasionally get a little frizz but hardly any any more.

Then again it depends if you want a product to do it for you or whether you might want to try other ways to help.

I have never found products give consistent results so they end up being a waste of money for me.

Madora
September 10th, 2012, 09:01 AM
You might want to investigate using mineral oil (baby oil) on the ends.

More about it here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Jorja
September 10th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I've tried Extra Virgin Olive Oil, just a little slicked on my hands and run through while wet, it's quite good on my coarse thick hair.

And, thanks to Madora in a previous post, I also tried mineral oil for the first time which is good too. I even added a bit more to my dry hair. It's lighter than the EVOO - and is only just over 1.00 a bottle which will last for-e-ver!

twoLs118
September 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM
You might want to investigate using mineral oil (baby oil) on the ends.

More about it here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

very interesting... thanks for the info i am going to try this!!!

shutterpillar
September 10th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I usually use a VERY VERY small amount of coconut oil on my ends and it works just fine. I am talking like, half a pinkie nail's worth. I just rub it between my palms and flip my hair over my shoulder and run my palms down the length, starting around ear level. Then I flip it over the other shoulder and do it again. After that, I will run my hands over my crown to get rid of the halo of frizz that I always have, and i'm done! :)

Good luck! Frizzies are a pain, and they definitely come out more for me if I air dry. Especially if I run my fingers through my hair when it is drying. It breaks up the wave pattern and creates more frizz.

DinaAG
September 10th, 2012, 10:37 AM
put a natureal moisturizing cream and then seal it with oil

afu
September 10th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I would recommend trying CO washing and/or using a little bit of your normal conditoner as a leave in. Oils can also work well depending on your hair, my personal favourites are coconut oil and sweet almond oil

jacqueline101
September 10th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I would use a leave in conditioner on your ends and mist oil over the entire length.

lunalocks
September 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM
One drop of baby oil, rubbed on your hands, then on your still damp ends will do it. Also a quick smoothing over the rest of your hair. Try it. It is a miracle product. I have found "mineral oil" too thick but generic baby oil (which is mineral oil) is perfect.

twoLs118
September 10th, 2012, 12:24 PM
One drop of baby oil, rubbed on your hands, then on your still damp ends will do it. Also a quick smoothing over the rest of your hair. Try it. It is a miracle product. I have found "mineral oil" too thick but generic baby oil (which is mineral oil) is perfect.

im picking some up after work today!! going to try this tomorrow!!! i never even thought of using baby oil!

elfgirl
September 10th, 2012, 12:56 PM
@OP I have a similar issue!! My hair is super fine, but there's lots of it, and it has natural waves to it. Especially now that it's super short, it's crazy wavy while/after air drying....I'm going to try baby oil too :) Hope it works out well for you!!

twoLs118
September 10th, 2012, 01:00 PM
@OP I have a similar issue!! My hair is super fine, but there's lots of it, and it has natural waves to it. Especially now that it's super short, it's crazy wavy while/after air drying....I'm going to try baby oil too :) Hope it works out well for you!!

having short hair was the WORST with the wavy frizzyness!! im hoping for great results with the baby oil!!

lunalocks
September 10th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Finger comb while drying (I actually comb through with a wide tooth after oiling with a smooth toothed comb, then finger comb til dry). The baby oil works a a great detangler.

Let us know how it works out!

twoLs118
September 10th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Finger comb while drying (I actually comb through with a wide tooth after oiling with a smooth toothed comb, then finger comb til dry). The baby oil works a a great detangler.

Let us know how it works out!

Oo thanks for that!! i plan on taking pictures!! :D

auroraclio
September 10th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Another vote for oil, I always apply a bit of oil to my ends and then let air-dry, great waves and minimal frizz :-)