PDA

View Full Version : I've Decided To Cut My Hair

LisaButz2001
March 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I love having long hair, but I'm bored and I've been debating cutting it since December 2007. I had a trim, in December, but I was disappointed. It was my usual from tailbone to waist trim and it didn't feel different. I've decided to cut it to the middle of my back (BSL). If I don't chicken out at the last second. I think going from tailbone to BSL will be a change and I'll still be able to create a bun for work in the morning. Has anybody made a significant change in their length and loved or hated it?

Neon Gloss
March 16th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Whatever you cut off... Give to me. :P :P

Back when my hair was long, I had it cut to my shoulders. I regretted it a few hours later.

You're positive that you want to cut it off, but you're also thinking that you might chicken out? Maybe just cut off a few inches at a time and see if you want to keep going? If anything, it will grow back with time. =) Good luck.

xrosiex
March 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I beleive the most important thing is that you like your hair. Even if that means you cut it. :)

Niphredil
March 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I had it cut several times, and although I miss the length (and currently considering growing back to waist), I didn't regret it at all. I like the shorter hair on me, it suits my face a lot better. I might very well not get to waist at all this time. I'll just see where I (or my hair ;) ) ends up.

If you have thought it over, and it is not a rash/emotional decision, go for it and enjoy the ride! You may regret it, or not. But you will only know for certain if you take the plunge. Remember, it is just hair and it will grow back! :agree:

thunderlilies
March 16th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Back in 2003 I went from hip length hair to shorter than shoulder length... I've regretted it ever since. And now my hair is finally back to hip length ( I cut it again in between then and now). if you absolutely want to cut, I'd suggest cutting like 4-6" off first to see if that does that trick in making you feel like your hair is interesting again. Sometimes a medium sized chop can make you feel better without sacrificing the whole length.

Requiax
March 16th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I went from tailbone to BSL last spring and I still regret it. My hair was too short to make a decent bun of any sort, and it's still a challenge. Like Neon Gloss said, maybe cut off a few inches at a time, leaving a couple weeks in between each time to make sure you don't go too short.

florenonite
March 16th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I agree with the people who say to take off a bit at a time. This way you can keep going till you're happy with your hair again without cutting off so much that you're once again unhappy with it.

spidermom
March 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I think you ought to plunge right in and do what you've been thinking. You tried a smaller cut and you've thought about it for more than 2 weeks, so why not?

HeatherMae
March 16th, 2008, 03:37 PM
In September I went from tail bone to above shoulder length and I regret it everyday. :(

wintersun99
March 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM

Carolyn
March 16th, 2008, 03:40 PM
You mention chickening out in your post so that tells me you aren't really ready to cut that much off. I would suggest cutting to BSL in maybe 2-3 cuts with at least a month or more between cuts. If you want to cut more then you can do it later and not regret it. When I had BSL hair it was too short to do most updo's or a decent bun. Go slow and don't regret it.

spidermom
March 16th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I just realized something. Usually when a person is bored, it has nothing to do with hair. Take a look at the rest of your life. It might be that you need to tweak something else.

LisaButz2001
March 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I want a stylist I trust to cut my hair & mine will be headed back to England during the first week of April. Had I been able to book more appointment with her I might have done a gradual cut. I've never, ever in 29 years had it cut shorter than my waist and I am really curious about what it would be like. My life is really cool right now, so I don't think I'm projecting. I might reconsider BSL though, since so many people have said it was hard to make a decent updo at that length. I might try Thunderlilies suggestion of 4"-6"

goodenough
March 16th, 2008, 04:22 PM
If that's what you want--go for it! I'm getting an inch off and maybe shorter bangs this week. Just having nicer ends will be nice. I'm between BSL and waist. I used to cut and color my hair a lot--now when I get that urge--I treat myself to new makeup, a masage, or hair toys. I got a waving iron and occasionally use a hairdryer--I know not the best, but it keeps me from getting bored and cutting it off.

I could do a basic bun at BSL, but not much else. If your hair is thinner, you should be able to do a lot more with it than if it's thick. (Mine is thick, so it needs to be longer to do some of the styles I like.)

FrannyG
March 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Just take the plunge and enjoy it. It sounds like you've more than observed the two week rule. It's your hair, and you have to enjoy it. BSL is still long hair.

Make sure you show us photos. :flowers:

waidz
March 16th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't. I dont know many people who cut their hair, and did NOT regret it. BUT it is your hair, and if you are 100% sure then just do it. Although posting about it here could show some doubt...

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I'd probably do the incremental cutting too.

FWIW, I've been able to make decent buns at BSL and even at APL. Nothing fancy or multi-tiered, but a still serviceable bun.

Elfling
March 16th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Every time I've cut seriously, I regretted it immediately. However, it's your hair :) and you need to be happy with it.

What do you dislike about it at the moment? What makes you bored? I like what spidermom pointed out- it's so often something else in life. Hair is a monumental reflection of your state of mind.

If you really want to cut it, I second the vote to go inch by inch until you feel it's shorter enough. Then you can always back out before it gets too short.

Blueglass
March 16th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I had classic lenght hair when I was in highschool. I cut it to just below shoulders. I regretted it immediately. Because of social pressure from my short hair haired mom, I have never made it back to waist. The choice I made in highschool to cut was not implusive, I really believed it was what I whated, but if I had it to do over, I would not have. It is a bit like being a amputee. I thought it would solve my problems... I suggest a deep U shaped hemline. That way you can play with a range of fun length. Also why not a fringe?

maskedrose
March 16th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I totally agree with just cutting 4-6" I almost to BSL now, and although I can do a sucessful bun, everything else besides braids is out of the question, pretty much. If you are used to doing a multitude of styles, you might get frustrated with the limited number allowed by BSL. Just a thought!

LisaButz2001
March 16th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I've had a fringe & HATED it. There's nothing I dislike about the length and nobody is pressuring me to cut my hair. I just really want to try a noticeably shorter length.

Shermie Girl
March 16th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I've had a fringe & HATED it. There's nothing I dislike about the length and nobody is pressuring me to cut my hair. I just really want to try a noticeably shorter length.

I think that our hair is here for us to enjoy it. If you would be happier with your hair shorter, if it will make you smile and feel beautiful when you look in the mirror, then you should go for it. It sounds as if you have given this decision a great deal of thought and that it is where you really want to go with your hair, at this time.

BSL is still long, especially by the standards of the beauty industry. And, if in time you decide you want it longer again, it will grow. :D

spidermom
March 16th, 2008, 05:53 PM

Then cut your hair and enjoy it. If you regret it - no big thing (probably). Hair grows back pretty quickly, unless you're me and it grows at a snail's pace. I'm going to have mine cut more probably this week. I'm still very unhappy about the number of split ends that I have. They taunt me.

Dvips
March 16th, 2008, 06:01 PM
:agree: What Shermie Girl said.

I cut my hair from tailbone to just below shoulders about a month ago with no regret and just cut it again to just above shoulders. I don't think I'll regret the length, but it is layered and I may end up regreting that. (We'll see!)

Also, I could do buns at BSL because my hair is rather thin & fine.

jojo
March 16th, 2008, 06:11 PM
like spidermom said you need to look at other issues which are going on in you life. At the end of the day its your choice but i know from experience i cut from waist and regretted it so much, still do. Please try and look at other issues which may influence your choice in cutting and apply the 2 week rule before doing anything drastic, its your hair and your choice but look at the sacrifices and time you have put into getting such lengths before making a decision so life changing.

If you do decide to cut, i wish you all the best and hope you find happiness. xx

do not make any rash decisions please xxx

LisaButz2001
March 16th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I definitely won't go near my shoulders-that's far too short for me! My hairdresser has told me before that my hair grows quickly & I know it's healthy, so I think I'll get the length back.

Teacherbear
March 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Almost 2 years ago I went from fingertip length/upper thigh to BSL and LOVED IT! I grew it back to tailbone and cut to the bottom of BSL. I think that is where I'll keep it - between BSL and TB.

I wish you happiness with whatever decision you make!

Patrycja
March 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I grew up with waist/hip length hair up untill I was 14 years old or so.I resented my mother for so many years growing up for making me have that hot hair that tangled so easily.Then I dyed it with purple koolaid and totally destroyed it.Then,she knew she had to let me cut it.I got it cut to my chin and razored.It was so liberating at the time,I finally felt "grown up".Now,I wish I never have.But,I also wish I never started dyeing it.That's why I'm growing out again.Ever since then,I haven't gotten past BSL.

Basically,the point to this little ramble is that do what you want and don't feel bad about it later.And,you can always grow back if that's what you decide to do down the road.The great thing about hair is that it always comes back.

unlike men...LOL

OhioLisa
March 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM
We're not talking about shaving your head here. I don't think you're going to be traumatized by cutting to BSL. I say go for it and be happy. ;)

Nicole Marie
March 16th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Hey just an idea, if you're just merely feeling 'bored' with your hair, and want to try a different or trendy style/look with your face, one idea is to get layers. I do NOT mean thinning out with shears, but like actual defined layers of length, and face-framing fringes. That way you will get a BIG change, but not actually lose too much in actual length. And as several others have said, it is like an 'amputation' when you just cut a bunch of hair off for the heck of it....it's mostly inspired by curiosity probably, you want to know what it will look/feel like to be without your hair .... but be aware that chances are you will miss it, because it has become a big part of how you are and how you see yourself, probably more than you realize. Think about what you will gain by a shorter haircut, or what it will achieve for you.

tameriska
March 17th, 2008, 12:04 PM
My opinion is, if you have been thinking of it for this long, and have had a smaller chop and still aren't satisfied, go for it.
BSL isn't that short, it can still be tied back/ updo'd out of the way, still visually looks long, but would be short enough to wear down loose easier than tailbone length hair.
At the very worst, it will grow back.

Ohio Sky
March 17th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I have waistlength hair when I was about 13, and cut it to earlength. Grew it back to about mid back, then shaved my head when I waas 15 or 16.
I havent really paid much attention to my hair since then, sometimes I cut it if it annoyed me, sometimes I would just ignore it. Only recently when I found LHC did I realize that I really wanted long hair, and now I keep having the though "How long would my hair be now if i hadnt cut it?" I liked it really short too, but I think I would be happier with it now if I hadnt shaved it.
I guess it all depends on the person, and if having it short will make you happy, go for it. But once those scissors touch your hair, theres no going back. :/

Crinita
March 17th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I say go for it. You've waited the suggested 2 weeks (plus quite a bit) and still want it so it's not a whim. Carpe Forfex!

Pax,
Crinita

DMARTINEZ
March 17th, 2008, 02:27 PM
FWIW I have my hair in a decent bun and Im just below BSL. I say go ahead, it will
be a fun change and BSL is a nice length, IMHO. :)

Deb

spidermom
March 17th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I used to love to wear a sort of peacock twist when my hair was BSL, except that the ends were so long they would hang down and cover my claw clip completely. I called it the "waterfall twist." I miss that style!

movie zombie
March 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
january 2007 i started taking several inches off the bottom.....only to still not be happy with the full length. and my hair grows very fast so it wasn't even really that noticeable. i did this throughout the year until december 7, 2007: then i took 10 inches or more off. my hair was still below my shoulders but perhaps an inch or two shorter than i would have liked at the time. so right now its where i wanted it. because i don't have layers i was able to put my hair up and/or wear it down. i'm much happier with this length. i'll probably let it grow until june and take some more off the bottom. my hair looks happier and healthy and i like the movement of it. however, it is an adjustment when you first do it no matter how motivated. but i'm so glad i did it!

movie zombie

ps keep the cut simple....no layers. if you decide you want to grow it back out, you won't have to deal with growing layers out. hair grows so its not like you're stuck with whatever length you go to!

Xanthippe
March 17th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I say go for it too, actually.

I spent a lot of last year going back and forth on whether to trim my hair or not. I finally did (3 inches) and I was very happy. I also spent a long time fantasizing about cutting fringe. I did that too, and was not so happy with it, but at least I know and I won't be tempted to do it again! If it's been on your mind for a long time (like a couple months), the only way to know is to take the plunge. It will grow back. :)

Niphredil
March 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I feel, there is a difference between missing the length that is gone when you cut your hair, and regretting the fact that you cut your hair.

I do miss the length, always have, but I never regretted my latest cuts (not talking way before LHC when I had some terrible cuts). To me, there is more about hair than just the length. To me it is more important how the hair looks on me, does it fit my faceshape, does it look healthy, does it look well taken care of, is it (relatively) easy to take care of, do I like the styles I can wear etc.
There are different styles for every length (and hairtype). Now that it is shorter, I like to wear messy bun type styles. But when it is longer, I can no longer pull those off, because of major tangles!

I like long hair, I like having a long full braid, a huge bun and the oh's and ah's when you release your hair from a bun (been there, done that :) ). But for the time being, this length (APL-BSL) is just as nice!

To the OP:
It is your hair, your decision. If you are a bit like me, you will most likely continue to doubt about the decision. But if you have thought it over, you will not likely regret the result. You might miss the length though, but remember, hair grows, it will grow back.

vindo
March 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I went from Midback to shoulder at age 15 and I hated it at first (My head felt weirdly light after), I was crying for a few days but then decided to keep it short for many years.
I sort of liked the long bob length actually but on the long run really long hair is better for me.

vindo
March 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I used to love to wear a sort of peacock twist when my hair was BSL, except that the ends were so long they would hang down and cover my claw clip completely. I called it the "waterfall twist." I miss that style!

A friend of mine used to wear it like that. My hair never wanted to stay over that clip..always falls to the side :lol:
Nowadays I do my renaissance bun trick thingie..it looks similar and stays put :)

WavyGal
March 18th, 2008, 03:04 PM
From what you are saying, it sounds like you are ready to get your hair cut. Go ahead. I'm sure it will look fine.

One rule that I have found handy thanks to LHC members is the 2 week rule. When you decided to do something drastic, wait two weeks, and if after that time you still want to do it, then go ahead. It sounds like you are still ready to do this, so go get your hair cut, but this is a great rule that doesn't just apply to hair care. It can apply to any big decision we have to make.

It makes sense because often when we want to do something drastic, we are not in the right mood, and if we act on it then, we almost always regret it.

But you sound like you really want to do this, so go ahead. GOOD LUCK! It's always a bit nervewracking getting a haircut.

Oh and show us pics if you can, we'd love to see them.

CaityBear
March 18th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Well, I had waist length hair (natural waist) and I cut it to shoulder length in summer of 2005, then to chin length later and I didn't mind it. I was ready for the change and was looking forward to shorter hair. And I always thought, "Hey, I can always let it grow out again"

I remember when I went to get it cut chin length, I had a different hair dresser then when I had it cut the few times before with my long hair and she asked me about a million times if I was sure lol

All in all, it depends what you want. Your hair will still be long enough for buns and ponytails and whatnot, and you are wanting a change so I think maybe just go for it. And if you don't like it, you can just let it grow out again. The idea of cutting off a short amount each time sounds like a good idea.

Mahars
March 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I always regret drastic cuts too, usually immediately after I get them. One other option, and I'm sure someone has mentioned this, is to get long layers. They look modern and give body and movement and definately feel like a change! I've always had layers and love them as long as they aren't too short.

Just_Isabel
March 18th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I cut my hair from BSL - midback (depending on shrinkage) to chin this December, and I haven't regretted it, I thought about it for a very long time.
(I didn't do it because I was bored with my hair, but still.)

I don't think the OP will regret it, at least that's the impression I get from her posts.

As some other posters have said: BSL should be long enough for simple buns (and if it isn't, it's definitely long enough for a pony tail), and hair grows.
I'd go for it. The length will come back if you want it to, and if you really don't like it (which I doubt), you'll learn something and probably not repeat the mistake again. :D

movie zombie
March 18th, 2008, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=Niphredil;19925]I feel, there is a difference between missing the length that is gone when you cut your hair, and regretting the fact that you cut your hair.

QUOTE]

this is so true! i think this is what i experienced after i did the last big cut! i didn't regret it, but i did miss it....but not miss enough to want it back.

movie zombie

tiny_teesha
March 19th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Hey i have an idea. Get the whole lot chopped off but get it made to extensions for you. That way if you regret it you can just pop them back in and non need to worry about different texture or colour issues, it is your hair! That might be expensive though. Probably a good idea to have them made in the clipable extensions so you can pop them back out if you want short hair again.
Just an idea.
I personally had 1 massive chop and 2 small ones in my short life, and i regretted them straight away. I like the 2inch trims because the hemnline feels better and it feels shorter nad looks shorter, but to others they don't notice.
I personally now HATE hair cuts, i just pretty much have to cut out all my damage and dyed hair that's all, so i can't really avoid it.
Wait 2 weeks, then if you still want to cut it and are 100% sure, go for it.