PDA

View Full Version : feyes self trimming

lastnite
September 10th, 2012, 03:57 AM
I wanted to get some tips from people who do self trims and how you make sure you cut evenly. Also if you have ever trimmed a few inches off yourself how did you go about it.

I do the Faye's method where I put my hair in a ponytail and pull the scrunchie down and trim a bit off. With this way since the hair at the top is thicker, as I pull the scrunchie down to the thinner ends the scrunchie doesn't stay secure. Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe I need to use a different type of scrunchie?

If you do the V shape method sectioning your hair in 2, any tips to make sure you cut the same amount on each side?

Finally, has anyone self trimmed a few inches themselves? I know I probably have to trim off a little at a time till I get the length I want, again I'm worried about it coming out uneven or maybe these trimming methods aren't the best for large trims?

My hair is a bit wavy and it's mostly worn in a bun, so I guess I'm lucky it can be hard to tell if it's completely even or not, but I worry if it gets severely uneven it can become a disaster. And unfortunately, I'm one of those who never had good luck in the salon-so I'd rather try doing it myself.

AnnaJamila
September 10th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Try combing your hair out when damp and putting a rubber band style scrunchie (still soft and hair friendly but not quite as unwieldly as a big fluffy cloth scrunchie which is what I'm assuming you mean) about half way down the pony. It works just as well but doesn't have as much of a change in fullness so stays put better.

I've started just flipping my head over in the bath and finger combing through it to get it all in the front and then trimming the little point that forms. You really don't need a rubber band for this. I get even rounded layers that aren't very deep, at least they don't seem to be. My hair is so straight and thick I have a hard time seeing where the layers end so it pretty much just looks one length. This method would probably be very easy for you since you wouldn't have as much volume to work through (ie waves would be straightened out and fine hair weighed down by the water.)

spidermom
September 10th, 2012, 06:59 AM
I couldn't get an even result with the Feye method either. What I did was divide my hair into 2 halves, combed each half thoroughly, then joined the 2 sides into a single ponytail right under my chin. Then I combed the ponytail and closed a book over it and slid the book down toward the ends, keeping the book level. It was very easy to see what I wanted to cut this way.

It gave a U hem, which is my favorite.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/splatterviolet.jpg
I've been getting layered ends from a stylist in recent months so have not been self-trimming.

MeowScat
September 10th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I've done her blunt (straight) method a few times.

But what helps me is to put hair elastics (hair friendly) down the length a few inches apart from each other. It keeps the length in a straight line that way.

Also, the last 2 or 3 elastics towards my ends I have to tighten (by wrapping them a few more times) around my lower length when I pull them down since it starts to taper. My ponytail circumference gets smaller down towards the thinner ends.

Maybe try trimming a little at a time? Take the elastics out after your trim, let your hair down and look at it from all angles in the mirror. If you're not sure, instead of trimming more right away, maybe consider waiting a day (or a few days) and keep looking at it. You can always trim a bit more later.

Since you're new to self trims, take it slow. I know what it's like to have a hairdresser take off more than you wanted so I'd hate to hear you have the same thing happen again with the scissors in YOUR hand. :)

KittyBird
September 10th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I used this tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hamVwPGm3As) the first time I cut my own hair. I didn't cut layers though, I just trimmed the ends. The first time I cut off more than 6", but now I'm just micro-trimming every 3 months.

I use hair friendly elastics, and even though my hair is wavy, I still trim my hair whilst dry. When my hair is wet or damp, it's just too slippery and the elastics fall off when they get close to my ends.

I think my results are fairly even, but it's hard to tell because of the waviness ;)

ddiana1979
September 10th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I just used Spidermom's tutorial and liked it. It seemed easier (for me) than Faye's method, which I've been using for a long time. Thanks, Spidermom!

Peggy E.
September 10th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Word of warning! I had a terrible problem with faye's self trimming, though would probably have been bad regardless the method. Scissors are not my friends....

When I tried trimming approximately 1/2" off my ends, which were getting a bit ratty, I had a terrible time getting the hemline where I wanted it.

In fact, I never did. But I finally was able to stop myself before I cut it up into a butch! I ended up cutting EIGHT INCHES off and will NEVER again attempt to trim/cut my own hair!

Be sure you know exactly what you're doing and try to take it very slowly - don't relive my horror story!!!

katfemme89
September 10th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I brush my hair forward to the front of my face, take it all in one gob, and cut it. It gives a nice dramatic V shape that I like and layers. And you can see exactly what you're cutting, which is crucial.

ravenreed
September 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I also make a ponytail under my chin, and then I use a Creaclip. (http://creaclip.com/) It has a level so I know my ends will be even and straight.

Cirafly24
September 10th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I use Feye's method for a U-hemline. I recently cut 2" this way, and to make sure I was cutting evenly, I measured the amount I had cut on the first side with a tape measure, then cut the same on the other side.

I had the same problem with the scrunchie. When I slid it down to the thinner ends, I stopped and wrapped it around again, being careful not to move scrunchie up or down as I did so. This worked just fine. If your hair is shorter and it's awkward for you to do this behind your back, get someone to help you.

Nymphea
September 10th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I divide my hair into two even halves, place them over my shoulders (so they are in front of me, as in the tutorial KittyBird suggested), comb them thoroughly and then I divide one half into smaller sections. I try to keep my head even while I slide my fingers down my length (I keep looking straight to the mirror) and when I'm about the place where I want to cut, I hold my tress tightly and cut where I want. I do the same with every tress while I try to match the length with the previously cut length. When I cut all of them, I comb that half of hair again and see if I have to even out. Usually I don't have to.

So I do with the other half.

I did self trims from 0.5 inches to about 5-6 inches and every time it went ok. I trim slowly, patiently and try not to go self-trimming when I'm nervous, undecidable or scissor-happy. :D

edit: this gives me a slightly U-shaped hemline.

Amygirl8
September 10th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I always trim a little bit at a time.
What I mean by that, is if I have a trim a sufficient amount (2-3 inches) I trim them over a span of a couple of weeks. I only trim about 1/2 inch each time, and then see from there how much more I need to trim, if anything.

I typical have my hair in waves/curls when loose, and when it's in some sort of ponytail or braid no one would notice.
Right now my hair is in a very slight V shape. I had a U-shape before I trimmed a couple of weeks ago, and I did the straight-across trim to even it up a bit and get it to V-up.
I've only ever had positive experiences trimming myself. The trick is only to take a tiny bit at a time, no matter the amount you're trimming off, so you can make sure to get it even.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 10th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Spidermom, when you do your trim, does it give you a blunt cut U shape or layers? Your method sounds really easy but I would not be wanting layers. Your hair looks lovely in your photo.

Tota
September 10th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I couldn't get an even result with the Feye method either. What I did was divide my hair into 2 halves, combed each half thoroughly, then joined the 2 sides into a single ponytail right under my chin. Then I combed the ponytail and closed a book over it and slid the book down toward the ends, keeping the book level. It was very easy to see what I wanted to cut this way.

This sounds interesting! I will definitely try this next time.

I've been following the Feye's U-hemline instructions for a year now. I like a deep U so I'm looking at the floor when combing and arranging my hair. I love this method and I never had any problems with uneveness. But I don't have that much hair to cut because I have a lot of shorter layers. It may get tricky when my hemline becomes thicker.

Deborah
September 10th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I used Feye's method for a couple of years, thinking I was doing pretty well. Then I bought a generic version of the Crea Clip. The first time I had a friend do it for me, they commented that my hair was noticeably longer on the right than on the left. So, Feye's method may not be working as well as some of us have thought. I LOVE using the Crea Clip!

lastnite
September 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I also make a ponytail under my chin, and then I use a Creaclip. (http://creaclip.com/) It has a level so I know my ends will be even and straight.

thanks, now that looks like a good idea!

Petrichos
September 10th, 2012, 06:14 PM
I cut my hair in a blunt u shape, no layers. I part it on the side like always, then down the middle in the back, and while it's wet I comb it forwards, then use a fine comb so it's all even, then use my fingers threw my hair to have a nice even section to cut. Then I just cut it even, on both sides. The scrunchie in the back never works for me.

spidermom
September 10th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Spidermom, when you do your trim, does it give you a blunt cut U shape or layers? Your method sounds really easy but I would not be wanting layers. Your hair looks lovely in your photo.

Blunt.

A stylist is giving me long layers in recent months. I needed a change but will probably go back to blunt because layers mess up my braid ends, and they won't stay tucked.

lapushka
September 10th, 2012, 06:22 PM
If you do the V shape method sectioning your hair in 2, any tips to make sure you cut the same amount on each side?

Yes, ponytail the two halves, then slide the ponytail holder down the two sides evenly.

I always have this done for me (I have someone do this method for me), and that makes it easier. Try and see if there's someone willing to help you with the method.

katfemme89
September 10th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Habioku has a video on this technique ^^^

Xxanderia
September 11th, 2012, 05:47 PM
:/ I'm having a similar problem with feye's method. I'm actually in the process right now, trying to go for the "V" hemline. At first I did it looking straight, then I combed it back and realized it was still totally straight across. Then I tried it looking down for the more dramatic V, and combed it back and it's STILL straight across.
I don't want to cut any more because I'm going to start loosing my length. But I would love a method to do the V look.

katfemme89
September 12th, 2012, 11:17 PM
:/ I'm having a similar problem with feye's method. I'm actually in the process right now, trying to go for the "V" hemline. At first I did it looking straight, then I combed it back and realized it was still totally straight across. Then I tried it looking down for the more dramatic V, and combed it back and it's STILL straight across.
I don't want to cut any more because I'm going to start loosing my length. But I would love a method to do the V look.

Comb all your hair forward over your head in front of your face and then cut it straight across. You'll get the V and it won't take off any length.

miss_donya
October 2nd, 2016, 05:15 AM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/splatterviolet.jpg
I've been getting layered ends from a stylist in recent months so have not been self-trimming.I have also been looking to cut my hair to a soft U hemline. I'd like to know more details about this method, is the lady in the video explaining it correctly? Does the hair need to be wet?
http://https://youtu.be/I3la97cUPRY

ETA: I apologize, I replied to you in the wrong thread :p

melesine
October 2nd, 2016, 07:23 AM
I use different methods depending on what I'm going for. I did cut my own hair from hip to collarbone a year ago and loved how it came out. Since I did want it longer in front and shorter in back I use the low ponytail method. But when my hair is longer and I was just trimming I usually preferred to have it either slightly shorter in front or just straight across the hem. When I do that I cut each side separately and then make sure the back is straight. I've done long layers by bending over and combing my hair and then cutting the ends, but being careful not to do it too short. I can't tell you the names of any of my methods because it's just stuff I learned trial and error before the internet. I've been cutting my hair for a long time now. Make sure you use hair cutting scissors and it's easier to keep it even if you don't try and cut too thick of hair at once. Also, if you're trimming, just do a little at a time. You can always cut more. I always cut my hair dry and I've very careful to comb it even before cutting.

Mirabele
October 2nd, 2016, 07:40 AM
I use this method and it worked very well for me so far. My modification is that i use several elastics down my ponytail to secure, instead if one sliding down. I trim very little each time. My hair is fine and thin at the ends so it is very easy for me. I do it on dampened hair, seems that i can have more control this way.

lapushka
October 3rd, 2016, 06:57 AM
I have also been looking to cut my hair to a soft U hemline. I'd like to know more details about this method, is the lady in the video explaining it correctly? Does the hair need to be wet?
http://https://youtu.be/I3la97cUPRY

ETA: I apologize, I replied to you in the wrong thread :p

I cut dry, because it waves up terribly when wet, and when dry, at the end of the week, the waves can be combed out to such an extent that they are almost non-existent and therefore good & cut-able.

In other words, it depends upon texture more or less, and preference.

Nineteenbirds
April 19th, 2019, 09:48 AM
I just want to say that I tried Feye's method for the first time the other day and couldn't be happier with the results. I needed a trim and was getting nervous about trusting a stranger to do it the way I wanted. This is only the second trim I've had in the last 3 years. I took off about an inch and a half and it's even, perfectly curved, and much more manageable. THANK YOU Feye, whoever you are!!

GrowinIt
April 19th, 2019, 03:30 PM
I sort of have issues using the feye's method with the pony down the back, I think it tends to end up longer on one side than the other, so I must be doing something wrong. I think it would work better if my hair was longer. Or it might be because it is wavy, and I'm just not cutting it straight, or not pulling the pony straight.

I've been watching youtubes for tips on self trimming - this one looks pretty easy to do, and I'd feel pretty confident that the two sides are even - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54UfFXuWGPI

I'll probably only do the first step, and maybe the second step, but the last steps possibly not, because I'm not really into the face framing layers.

I need to wait for my hair to be longer before my next trim, it is at a length where the back does not come over my shoulders very far, maybe in a year =).

This one looks pretty good too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xPOWxc08CI (not in english, but you can see the technique)

TatsuOni
April 20th, 2019, 09:57 AM
I've been using this method for quite some time now and I'm very happy with the result :) I prefer to use a "flat" elastic.

Jamie Lynn 40
April 20th, 2019, 05:22 PM
Hello everyone
I just had some questions on the straight across trim ( Feyes). 1. Do you comb all your hair straight back or center part it in the middle? 2. Do any of you pull it over both shoulders on each side to make sure its even or just one shoulder? I assume.you only use 1 scrunchie. And 3. Do you cut wet or dry hair for best results? Thanks so very much for your time!
Jamie

Jamie Lynn 40
April 20th, 2019, 05:38 PM
Oh yeah and do you tilt your head down when you pull the scrunchie down you back or look straight ahead? Thanks again!
Jamie

renia22
April 20th, 2019, 06:54 PM
I’ve been doing this for a short while now too, I can’t believe how long it took me to build up the courage to try it. I do 2 low ponytails on each side of my head first, then one under the chin in the middle like in the videos. I dry my hair on low so the wave comes out, and cut it dry with good hair cutting scissors. I never do more than 1/4 inch at a time or so. So easy!

Kat
April 20th, 2019, 07:50 PM
I
Finally, has anyone self trimmed a few inches themselves? I know I probably have to trim off a little at a time till I get the length I want, again I'm worried about it coming out uneven or maybe these trimming methods aren't the best for large trims?

Oh yes. I'm lazy about trims, so I tend to leave it until I need to trim 4-6". It works fine. Usually I'll do it in a couple steps, just so if I mess up fixing it isn't a pain, but yes, it works just fine.

I used Feye's method for a couple of years, thinking I was doing pretty well. Then I bought a generic version of the Crea Clip. The first time I had a friend do it for me, they commented that my hair was noticeably longer on the right than on the left. So, Feye's method may not be working as well as some of us have thought. I LOVE using the Crea Clip!

I've had my stylist tell me this before too, though-- and since she was the one who had cut it previously, I have to assume she did make a straight trim... but she still said she took 3" more off the right side than the left!

TatsuOni
April 21st, 2019, 07:47 AM
Hello everyone
I just had some questions on the straight across trim ( Feyes). 1. Do you comb all your hair straight back or center part it in the middle? 2. Do any of you pull it over both shoulders on each side to make sure its even or just one shoulder? I assume.you only use 1 scrunchie. And 3. Do you cut wet or dry hair for best results? Thanks so very much for your time!
Jamie

I've answered your PM already, but in case someone else is wondering I'll post it here too :)

1. I keep my hair parted in the middle. The same way as I wear it when I wear it loose.

2. I use a flat elastic (https://www.google.se/search?q=flat+elastic+hair+ties&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj25KGlqeHhAhU1i8MKHfJlDNgQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=944#imgrc=dynihYQGi_KbWM:). I find those easier for cutting than any other type of elastic.

I make sure that it's straight behind my back (or it will be legs for my next trim.), by using two mirrors. I also make sure that the elastic is tight enough to not slide on it's own. Then I gently pull it under my arm instead of over my shoulder, since I find that it less likely to "disturb" the elastic this way. Then I cut a little bit.

After that I let my hair loose to see if it's kinda' even. Then I repeat until I've cut off the amount that I want. After that I check for uneven strands and cut them.

3. I look pretty much straight ahead, but have found that I need to tilt my head a few millimeters forward to get it completely straight, otherwise I end up with a slight U. This is one of the reasons that I only cut a few millimeters at a time and then repeat. Because it allows me to find the exact head position.

Jamie Lynn 40
April 21st, 2019, 02:33 PM
Thank you.so much TatsuOni! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this! And also thank you for answering my PM as well. ☺ I assume you cut your hair dry? Have a great day!
Jamie

-Fern
April 21st, 2019, 03:43 PM
Feye's instructions show her doing it on dry hair... I prefer to cut my hair when it is wet. Both work fine, though if you have curls, dry is best. :)

TatsuOni
April 22nd, 2019, 07:18 AM
Thank you.so much TatsuOni! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this! And also thank you for answering my PM as well. ☺ I assume you cut your hair dry? Have a great day!
Jamie

Yes, dry, but not freshly washed and preferably with a few drops of oil to prevent any hair from escaping.

Jamie Lynn 40
April 23rd, 2019, 07:20 AM
Ok thank you !

Jamie Lynn 40
April 23rd, 2019, 03:05 PM
Do any of you trim according to the farmer's almanac? There's specific days each month to trim to increase growth. Dont know how true it is lol.

littlestarface
April 23rd, 2019, 03:56 PM
Do any of you trim according to the farmer's almanac? There's specific days each month to trim to increase growth. Dont know how true it is lol.

I see those as just a reminder when to cut, cutting hair wont make it grow no matter on what day you do it on lol.

bparnell75
April 23rd, 2019, 05:41 PM
I have used Feye's method for years on wet or dry hair it works great.

enting
April 23rd, 2019, 06:10 PM
I sort of have issues using the feye's method with the pony down the back, I think it tends to end up longer on one side than the other, so I must be doing something wrong. I think it would work better if my hair was longer. Or it might be because it is wavy, and I'm just not cutting it straight, or not pulling the pony straight.

I had issues with getting the sides even the last time I trimmed. As best as I can figure out, my behind is becoming a little asymmetrical and I would have been better off using a plumb weight than using bodymarkers as a guide for what is straight down!

Though maybe it was uneven waves. I usually heavy oil with coconut oil to get everything to be as straight as possible before trimming. This last time I had run out and used sunflower oil instead which wasn't as effective. Although if that were the case, I'd expect the curlier side to end up longer, and it was the reverse.

Jamie Lynn 40 I've been using Feye's method for a few years now. I like a straight across blunt cut, so I look just a tiny bit down from straight ahead. I prefer to err on the side of longer in the center than shorter in the center.

I use one scrunchie. My biggest difficulty seems to be taper, as I go down I end up needing to wrap the scrunchie an additional time before I get to the ends. At some point I may switch to using a second elastic or scrunchie lower down to help hold everything.

I haven't decided what way of combing it is best for me yet, so I usually part it in the center and trim just a bit, then comb it all straight back and trim a bit more. I usually ponytail and pull down the scrunchie at least twice, lifting my ends over a different shoulder each time just to make sure I'm not skewing my line by pulling it only over one shoulder.

As I mentioned above, I like to cut it while heavily oiled on dry hair.

Jamie Lynn 40
April 24th, 2019, 06:34 AM
Thank you so much Enting and Littlestarface for replying to my posts 😇

TatsuOni
April 24th, 2019, 10:44 AM

Here's a thread that you might be interested in :) https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69119

Jamie Lynn 40
April 24th, 2019, 03:42 PM
Thank you TatsuOni!