PDA

View Full Version : article by 55-year-old WO longhair

spirals
September 9th, 2012, 11:02 PM
This is fabulous. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/fashion/24Mirror.html?pagewanted=all

Vampire
September 9th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Great article, thx for sharing

catamonica
September 9th, 2012, 11:41 PM
I read the long version. Over 1000 comments. If you type in the title & date 2010, you should get the long version. Really good comments.

teal
September 10th, 2012, 12:18 AM
I never did understand why people thought the media had the be-all, end-all opinion on hair and beauty and fashion and general attractiveness, anyway. To hell with them. If you want long hair at any age, man or woman, you go for it. Tell the media not to let the door hit their @$$es on the way out.

katfemme89
September 10th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Thank you for posting that!!! That's a really great article and gives a great perspective of a challenge faced by a mature woman in this stupid society in which we live. Hair is beautiful, all shapes, lengths, thickness, straightness, curliness, kinkiness, etc. I don't think our looks or lives should be dictated by society or especially the STUPID media. Kudos to this woman. And, of course, the OP :D

Tota
September 10th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Thanks for sharing, amazing article!

Toadstool
September 10th, 2012, 03:20 AM
"The short of it is that long hair means there is always, at least, hope. "

Hope of what? I didn't understand this last sentence, but enjoyed the rest of the article.

AnnaJamila
September 10th, 2012, 03:49 AM
BEAUTIFUL! :') Her hair is so lovely and I share her love for the head band over the forehead look. I think I'll do something like that tomorrow....

duchesswannabe
September 10th, 2012, 04:20 AM
My husband told me about this article before I joined here, and I eventually read it myself sometime later.

alyanna
September 10th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Lovely article!
Thank you for sharing it.

spidermom
September 10th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Interesting perspectives. She obviously gave it a lot of thought.

embee
September 10th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Heh. You might think that by age 55 you could expect your mom to respect (or at least be quiet about) your hair choices! Not.

Good for her, writing that article.

dulce
September 10th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Great article!!

lunalocks
September 10th, 2012, 11:24 AM
This woman could be me, word for word.

There are 2 ways people react to my hair - awe, or disgust. No in betweens.

gthlvrmx
September 10th, 2012, 11:36 AM
nice article. though im not sure that all men like long hair on woman or long hair in general.

whiteisle
September 10th, 2012, 11:55 AM
nice article. though im not sure that all men like long hair on woman or long hair in general.

Very true. I live with one. My DH doesn't care for long hair in general. He has nothing against it but he'd much rather see me with a short inverted bob or something.

akilina
September 10th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Nice article :) I don't see why so many people are opposed to long hair.
If my hair can ever get long...I know that I will want to keep it for as LONG as I possibly can :)

Charybdis
September 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Heh. You might think that by age 55 you could expect your mom to respect (or at least be quiet about) your hair choices! Not.

Reading stuff like that makes me really appreciate my mommy. :D Who, with her single hairdo that has been basically the same her whole adult life, has never said one unkind word about my many lengths and hair experiments. Bless her heart.

It always amuses me how there are always people who profess "concern" about someone else's hair. And sometimes it's genuine. But usually it's shorthand for, "You're not being NORMAL! Stop that! What if people SAW you?!"