PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my hair future

Chimom79
September 9th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Hey guys! I am worried about my hair in the future. I take so much after my mom, and my moms hair, as she aged into 40s and 50s, has REALLY thinned out and she even has a slight bald spot. Her hair is so thin and fragile. I am worried mine will end up the same way due to genetics. I am of course now taking the best care of my hair as possible, since Ive been here in these awesome forums and learned so much. But do any of you have any advice or tips on what I may can do or use now to help prevent future hair loss and thinness?

I worry a lot about this. I am trying so hard to care for my hair properly and would be devastated if I had such problems in the future. :shudder:

heidi w.
September 9th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Your post causes me to wonder about a thyroid condition that may be undiagnosed and unmedicated....have her see a doctor ASAP. And if your mother is so afflicted, you might eventually develop a similar condition. The good news is once it's relaibly diagnosed and properly medicated, it all will grow back.

heidi w.

Chimom79
September 9th, 2012, 02:59 PM
She doesnt have a thyroid issue, so her docs say. I DO have hypothyroidism, but have been on meds for yrs that is controlling it. Her doc is not very good though, I am trying to get her to change docs, I think she has several things that they just ignore when we mention them.

jillosity
September 9th, 2012, 03:06 PM
That sort of thinning to a bald spot can also be an indicator of PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, it's hard to diagnose because it has so many symptoms and manifests in so many different ways for different women.

lapushka
September 9th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I'd quit worrying. Stress isn't going to be good, for anything. You may develop thinning, you may not. You don't know. How was your grandma's hair? Maybe compare it to that? Was it also thinning, or is this something only your mom has?

lunalocks
September 9th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I would say, take care of your hair and general health and don't worry. My mom has thick hair and I don't even know what it really looks like because she always perms it. I, on the other hand, thinned a lot after I had my daughter (it grew back) and some during menopause ( getting better with better care). You just cannot predict what will happen.

Agnieszka
September 10th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Please don't worry about it as stress causes hair loss. I lost so much hair due to stress that had to cover my parting with camouflage powders. It made me worried even better, my husband was worried I felt terrible. Then I just forgot about it because I got pregnant and my hair is much better now thanks God, still fine but no balding. Check your blood and hormones once in a while, eat healthy and try to stay positive and happy.

Agnieszka
September 10th, 2012, 12:19 AM
sorry for language mistakes, I'm not allowed to edit my post for some reason :-)

Freckled.Thing
September 10th, 2012, 12:51 AM
I'm in the same boat. Both of my parents and in fact pretty much everyone on my mom's side of the family has very thin hair. My hair is fine, but has never really been thin, but I have to admit that there's a really good chance that when I'm in my 40s or older my hair will be just as thin as theirs. There really isn't much that you can do about genetics. Sure, it's a bummer but all the more reason to enjoy my hair now, right? :)

Silverbrumby
September 10th, 2012, 01:00 AM
My mother and her sisters all have thick heads of hair right up into their 80's now. My grandmother had long hair all her life.

Me, I've been battling a few health issues, most resolved and I've been dealing with thinning. I should be a thick hair like my sisters, aunties and mum. No, I appear to be taking after my dads side of the family - thinning. Still, my hairs ok and you should be as well with the thyroid treatment. I'm also wondering about your mums thyroid.

Chimom79
September 10th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Thanks to all of you, as most of you suggested, Im not gonna let it worry or stress me much as I dont want to lose hair due to stress for sure. My maternal grandma also had the thinning hair. I will take the best care I can of mine and keep in mind not to stress over genetics. I guess I just needed to hear STOP WORRYING, a few times. Lol!

I do have PCOS, causes me many issues, hopefully with taking care of myself and my hair, Ill be in pretty good shape for the future.

Thanks again and have a HAPPY Hair day! :wink: