PDA

View Full Version : Hair shedding alot! :( Help!

Stacey21
September 9th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Hi :) I've changed nothing in my hair routine which has worked fine for me for months now. But the past few weeks I have started shedding alot of hair. When I comb my hair or wash in the shower I can get a ball of hair about 2-3cms shedding. This is happening everyday aswell. My hair doesn't seem to be getting any shorter or thinning though :confused: I don't know what to do any advice would be very appreciated! :) xx

sakuraemily
September 9th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Think carefully about whether you've started eating something new. Are you having a lot of stress at work? or school?

spidermom
September 9th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Shedding is normal. In recent weeks, hair seemed to be jumping off my head by the hour. I almost got worried. But I turned my attention to what I was doing for my health - my eating habits, etc. Now I'm not shedding so much.

Take care of yourself!

Carriegirl
September 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I would agree on the diet issue. I've been having the same problem for a couple months now. But strangely my hair doesn't seem to be thinning much either. I do think it is something to do with diet and stress. I'm planning to get back to a better eating style with more protein and healthy fats (and of course lots of veggies and fruits).

I wonder too, though, if it is seasonal. Does hair tend to shed more in the summer months?

gonzobird
September 9th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I am a health nut and take very good care of myself inside and out,and have not really any stress. I've been shedding a bit lately and what made a huge different is drinking more water. I mean tons. Its hard sometimes to drink lots of water, and that when I shed more. About 90 ounces a day and my shedding is way better.

Also... Im starting this literally today... just did it now...Lavender oil mixed about 4 to 1 with a carrier (i like jojoba for my scalp) massaged into your scalp every day, is supposed to help tons with shedding. Lavender helps to regrow hair and keep hair on your head, less shedding. I don't know why these two things aren't mentioned in these posts more. Esp water.

bunnylake
September 9th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Excessive shedding can be due to a number of things... stress, diet, hormonal imbalance... if stress/diet/product use can be ruled out, have your doctor do a blood test. Don't panic, everyone sheds more than usual at some time or another! Sometimes it just happens, and then it stops.

spookyghost
September 9th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Shedding is normal. In recent weeks, hair seemed to be jumping off my head by the hour. I almost got worried. But I turned my attention to what I was doing for my health - my eating habits, etc. Now I'm not shedding so much.

Take care of yourself!

Spidermom-lmao about your hair jumping off your head! I have been shedding alot since April and although this bothers me a ton, I had to laugh at what you said!:D

I have no idea yet at why Im shedding so much or at the very least more than the norm. I have a very healthy diet and Im really into fitness and I exercise and work out alot. I had blood work done-cbc, thyroid, hormones, iron, etc. Anything that may cause hair loss and my labs came back great! The only thing I can think of is stress. But Im always stressed. I was born stressed! I have been stressed my whole life so why am I shedding more now? Hmm. I dont know.

I bought black tea and Im going to start doing black tea rinses and as much as I cant believe Im going to do this, I am going to buy Mira hair oil again. At $85.00 for 4oz-you know Im desperate. But it almost stopped my shedding. Im hear to tell you. My hair grew fast and stayed on my head! I had people telling me how thick my hair looked and I have fine hair. So Im hoping to use it and then slow down with it and then I hope the black tea has my back! Haha.

Bunnylake-Im going to try drinking alot more water. Thats something I need to do anyway so if it helps-thanks!;)

akilina
September 9th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I have had the same issue. I think I shed at the ending of every season. I know summer isn't over yet but its already September. I go thru winter sheds too. I feel like I am constantly shedding badly!
I have slightly reformed my diet...increased water intake, and I also have started spraying rooibos tea on my scalp...it is really helping with the shed.

shutterpillar
September 9th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Perhaps it is a seasonal thing? Have you noticed yourself shedding more during one season than the other? I personally shed like crazy in the spring and then again right when fall starts.

drinking more water is always good advice for life in general.

It could be caused by hormone changes. :shrug:

Kaelee
September 9th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I shed like crazy this time of year and so do a few others. I started a thread about it around here somewhere.

I wouldn't worry *too* much. Just take care of yourself and if it doesn't pass in a month or tow, check with your doctor to make sure it's not a sign of something serious. :flower:

KwaveT
September 9th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Medications can affect shedding too. Somebody not all that long ago resurrected an old thread that lists a bunch of medications that can affect hair loss and shedding. I have diagnosed one our cashiers at work and found out she is taking two medications that is affecting her hair loss/shedding. I told her that is what is contributing to it. My medication increases shedding of hair.

KwaveT
September 9th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I went through my posting history and found the thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73300

KwaveT
September 9th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I looked through my posting here and found the thread:

http://longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73300

Sorry for the double post. I had to try about five times to make it post and browser kept going down on me.

Silverfox
September 9th, 2012, 07:36 PM
When I had a shedding issue, I was told by a friend to take supplements of Calcium, Zinc and Magnesium. Solgar has a Ca-Mg-Zn combination.

The shedding stopped in a week. If I don't take it for a week, the shedding starts again.

Also, try using sulfate-free shampoos.

Silverfox
September 9th, 2012, 07:36 PM
When I had a shedding issue, I was told by a friend to take supplements of Calcium, Zinc and Magnesium. Solgar has a Ca-Mg-Zn combination.

The shedding stopped in a week. If I don't take it for a week, the shedding starts again.

Also, try using sulfate-free shampoos.

MsBubbles
September 9th, 2012, 07:51 PM
For me personally, a noticeable shed always happens 3-4 months after some kind of shed-trigger. These have been in the past, for me, chronic and relentless anxiety/shock/trauma, illness to the point of fever for a week or longer, or a drastic change in diet (for good or bad). Did anything like that happen for you 3-4 months ago? Any new meds, hormone changes, etc?

The shedding lasts about 3 weeks then is done til the next time.

lindaton
September 9th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I have lost about half of my in the past 2-3 months. The only thing I can think of is weight loss. Seeing my dermatologist Weds to see what he thinks. I have added aminos and a multi vitamin so far. Ive always been known for my thick hair. My ponytail feels so strange. Even if it stops I will be 65 yrs old by the time the new catches up.

Stacey21
September 10th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Hey guys! :) Thanks so much for all the advice. I really can't think of any changes that could have caused the shedding :/ I seemed to have a bit of a growth (which is very rare for me my hair takes a very long time to show any growth) then the shedding started :/ very bizarre. I think i'm going to go no shampoo for a while I did it a while ago and it worked very well for me. Maybe doing as little as I can to my hair for a while might help? I'm also going to give some of the suggestions here a go improving diet etc. Thanks again :)

Stacey21
September 10th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Spidermom-lmao about your hair jumping off your head! I have been shedding alot since April and although this bothers me a ton, I had to laugh at what you said!:D

I have no idea yet at why Im shedding so much or at the very least more than the norm. I have a very healthy diet and Im really into fitness and I exercise and work out alot. I had blood work done-cbc, thyroid, hormones, iron, etc. Anything that may cause hair loss and my labs came back great! The only thing I can think of is stress. But Im always stressed. I was born stressed! I have been stressed my whole life so why am I shedding more now? Hmm. I dont know.

I bought black tea and Im going to start doing black tea rinses and as much as I cant believe Im going to do this, I am going to buy Mira hair oil again. At $85.00 for 4oz-you know Im desperate. But it almost stopped my shedding. Im hear to tell you. My hair grew fast and stayed on my head! I had people telling me how thick my hair looked and I have fine hair. So Im hoping to use it and then slow down with it and then I hope the black tea has my back! Haha.

Bunnylake-Im going to try drinking alot more water. Thats something I need to do anyway so if it helps-thanks!;)

Pretty much the same as me! I've had lots of blood tests done in the past and they always come back fine. I've seen posts mentioning the black tea rinses before... although im not too sure what they are or how you do them? They don't cause any darkening of your hair or anything do they as i'm blonde :) I might look into them abit more if they'll help i'm willing to try anything before I go bald! :P

jacqueline101
September 10th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Mine did a shed for about three weeks no thinning or bald areas. It was a product issue for me. I stopped using that product it stopped shedding.

spookyghost
September 10th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Pretty much the same as me! I've had lots of blood tests done in the past and they always come back fine. I've seen posts mentioning the black tea rinses before... although im not too sure what they are or how you do them? They don't cause any darkening of your hair or anything do they as i'm blonde :) I might look into them abit more if they'll help i'm willing to try anything before I go bald! :P

Yes it does cause darkening. Im not sure how much though. I think its suppose to help darken grey hairs. Im trying to get back to my natural ash color so the darkening is good for me. Im not sure if other teas will work. Like chamomile is for lightening hair but I dont think it has caffine in it and Im pretty sure thats the key ingredient to stop the shedding. You can look into other teas to see if they have the same affect as the black tea.

I did my first tea rinse today actually! Im pretty happy with how it turned out. My shed was the same-maybe a tiny bit less but its day one so not expecting any miracles!:)

What I did notice was my hair seemed to lay better-like it flowed down my back better. It felt a little stronger and thicker. It also seemed longer but I know it didnt really grow. Maybe it seemed longer because it was flowing down my back nicer. Probably gave it the illusion of growth. Im going to continue and see where it takes my hair.

Oh I want to mention that after I sprayed the tea in my hair it immediately felt like straw!:eek: I did alot of research on this so I was expecting it and I was prepared to put on a moisturizning conditioner. But it still scared me. I thought holy crap the moisturizing conditioner better work or my hair is ruined! My hair could have been a little more moisturized but other than that I was pretty happy with the results. If you want to know how I did it just let me know and I will post how I did it.