PDA

View Full Version : SO annoyed

lacefrost
September 8th, 2012, 10:01 PM
At this moment I am so sick of my hair. All I want to do is put it up in a bun. That's it. Is that so much to ask?

Please tell me that there is some kind of bun that I can do with my length and thickness. Or at least guestimate how long it'll take til my hair is at bun-able length. Cause I just spent an hour trying out buns and I want to scream.

Or barring that, are hair elastics really that terrible? Cause I can kinda bun if I ponytail my hair with one of those first.

I just. . .I just don't want to have to wear my hair in a tails up for the rest of my life. . . I don't want to have to straighten my hair just to bun it. . .

Macaroni
September 8th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Have you tried a braid and then bunning the braid?

HylianGirl
September 8th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Have you tried the sock bun? Not only it does not need much length, it also makes the bun look bigger if your hair is too short for another type of bun, it is also really easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM

ETA: Loepsi has a newer version of the video I linked, but I thought I'd share the older one because there she shows two ways of making that bun, and tone of them (the easiest one) is probably better for shorter hair

spirals
September 8th, 2012, 11:02 PM
It's hard to advise you because I know you're waistlength, but I don't know where it falls curly. I do understand about iii hair somewhat; I am on the cusp of it, with curls. This is what I do:

--cinnabun: I make a small bun with 1/3 of my hair and then add sections from the rest of it as I continue on to finish. I learned that reading something on the board somewhere.
--My version of an infinity: divide your hair in half, as you would for pigtails. Make a small cinnabun with the right half. Twist the left half toward the left ear, then bring up over the top and around the right of the cinnabun. Keep going until you reach the place where you started. Hold everything flat with your left hand and use your right hand to pull a loop of the little cinnabun over to the left side. You'll cover up the part where you started twisting in the second step. Secure with a stick horizontally.
--pull-through bun (something I was playing around with): divide hair in half as for the infinity I posted above. Make a cinnabun with each side. Make them loose, but tuck the ends underneath into the centers so they stay just long enough for you to complete the bun. After you make them, pull one of them underneath and through the middle of the other. You can; you just need to tweak it a bit. Once you get it through, pull them apart a bit, toward the ears to stretch it out. Secure with a stick horizontally.

Madora
September 8th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Perhaps a sectioned bun might help..i.e.

1) detangle hair gently
2) make a horizontal part from the top of the left ear around the back of your head to the top of the right ear
3) take all the hair above the part, comb it out, then braid it loosely and secure with hair friendly elastic
4) coil the braid in a bun and pin with crimped hairpins
5) take remaining hair, comb out gently, then braid loosely
6) take the braid and wind it around the bun braid already made
7) tuck tassel under braid

Voila..one double braided bun.

You can also use the sectioned method for:

double rope braid bun
cameo bun
double twist bun
double cinnabun

rusika1
September 8th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! What about a french twist? Not a bun, but not a pony tail either.

coneyisland
September 9th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Yes, elastics really are that terrible. I suggest using twisting against your head to anchor your buns in the first place, and using hairpins (not bobby pins) after to secure your buns.

There are some toothed ring-shaped hinged plastic ponytail holders that I suppose would be less damaging than elastics, but I have no experience with them.

http://www.franceluxe.com/pc/9556/franceluxeponytailholder/index.html

The thickness of your hair is a great gift. Because it is so thick, it will have to be longer than thinner hair for many of the bun styles. It will get there sooner and last longer if you do not straighten it with heat.

If you stretch it manually, damp, can you wind it all together in a single twist as for a simple Bantu Knot, and so that its shrinkage from drying would not draw tightly on your scalp? If you can make one twisted ring of it that way, you could fasten it with hairpins to have a bun. If you could make two twisted rings of it that way, you could flip the upper one (first one wound) and pin the coils as an Infinity Bun.

For now, assembling buns from sections of hair would give you more options for buns.

MinderMutsig
September 9th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Well I know the first bun I could do was the lazy wrap. I had o put my index and thumb very close together, be very careful when wriggling the length under the index, and put the stick in before tucking the ends. That was absolutely vital!

ETA: Then if it (barely) stays up with that one stick, use a second one diagonally in the same direction, going in, picking up scalp hair, scooping all the way under the bun including the first hairstick, and coming out in the bottom of the loop on the other end. /end ETA

I also seem to remember doing the LWB with half my hair first, and then wrapping the remaining length around the outside of the bun and pinning it but I don't think I did that often. I'm a one stick girl and do not like to use a million million hairpins.

The reason why the LWB worked for me if I did it like that is because my hair wasn't long enough to go a full circle like you need for a cinnamon bun but if you do the LWB just right you only have to make one loop with a tiny bit extra. Stick placement was very important. They also had to be inserted just right or the whole thing tumbled down. It was either secure and tight or not staying up at all; no middle ground.

So my advice would be to focus on the LWB and in the meantime try the french twist with sticks. Not a bun but the ends are tucked and protected, hair is up and out of the way and it's not a peacock twist. ;)

ETA: I think at 28" you are probably VERY close to having the length you need or you're already there but still need some practice. I could do a LWB around 25" I think and my hair is on the thin side of iii.

hairhair
September 9th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Madora -- that sounds amazing! I've been looking for a braided bun for my thick APL length hair; similar problem to the OP and I think braided buns look amazing. I'll have to try that! It sounds really easy too! :)

Madora
September 9th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Madora -- that sounds amazing! I've been looking for a braided bun for my thick APL length hair; similar problem to the OP and I think braided buns look amazing. I'll have to try that! It sounds really easy too! :)

Hairhair, please post pics if you are successful!

Here is a link to the double braided bun thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=100274&page=3

Scroll down and see Sarahlabyrinth's version for shorter hair! She even added accent braids to spiff it up!

heidi w.
September 9th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I recommend tying the hair in a ponytail and then bunning it. It might be a trace easier to manage for newbie bun makers. Twisting the length as it's wrapped around into a bun will also help; and PIN AS YOU GO, do not wait til the very end to pin everything up.

heidi w.

lacefrost
September 9th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Guys, why are you so awesome? I was so happy to see these responses when I got up today. I wasn't expecting any, honestly.

So I wear my hair most often in braidwaves because it gives me the most length while curly while keeping tangles at a minimum. Here's a picture of that:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8029/7962818210_001aa02b68_z.jpg

I've trimmed since then so the length is basically the same. When straight, my hair is waist length iii. When curly my hair is not quite APL and there aren't enough Is to go around.

So yeah, if I do a single braid curly, it ends at my shoulders. I can't do the lazy wrap because my hair can't complete a full circle around my finger. Also, as a 4, there's no such thing as a single braid or a single bantu knot. . .or really a single anything. The thousands of curls all wants to be in their own spiral groups (see siggie pic.)

I think I'm going to have to go with the multibuns that Madora and spirals came up with because I think they might work.

I went ahead and ordered the hair forks I wanted to badly. I WILL make them work!!!

gratitudinous
September 9th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I can't imagine the frustration of having waist length hair, but still being unable to bun!
Madora and spiral gave great advice, and the only other tip I can add is to try bunning higher up on your head. I'm at the cusp of ii/iii and at APL the ONLY way to get my hair to do a cinnabun was to start it at the crown. (as a matter of fact, at MBL it's still too thick to do anything other than a cinnabun, but at least I can put it at the base of my head now...)

If it's any consolation to your frustrations right now, I find your hair absolutely exquisite! :flower:

MinderMutsig
September 9th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Gosh your hair is pretty!:inlove: And so versitile.

Although I definitely understand the frustration of not being able to bun it. I hope sectioning and braiding works for you!

lapushka
September 9th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Yes, you have really pretty hair! Don't despair about the tails up or peacock twist. I'm past hip currently and I'm still rockin' it. It's not that bad, even though I get your despair.

Toadstool
September 9th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I just sat here with my mouth wide open at how gorgeous your hair is!

Kelikea
September 9th, 2012, 01:41 PM
First of all, I think you and your hair are really beautiful. Sorry you are frustrated with it right now. I've had the feeling of wanting to take my hair off (like a wig) but so glad these feelings pass!

I really like Madora's sectioned bun. I tried it yesterday and it stayed all day without pulling or making a headache. For your thick hair, rope braids would probably work the best. One more suggestion, if you like a sectioned/multiple bun look is three rose buns:
1. Part hair diagonally on the side to section the top portion, rope braid and rose bun each side and secure with hair pins.
2. Then, rope braid the bottom portion and rose bun.
This picture shows the parting/sectioning:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=117334&albumid=8987&dl=1319761518&thumb=1
Ignore the two top braids braided into the bottom. They will each form their own bun.
Here is the finished result:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=117335&albumid=8987&dl=1319761706&thumb=1http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=117335&albumid=8987&dl=1319761706&thumb=1
I hope you like it. Its different:)

elbow chic
September 9th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Got no advice about the bun issue, but you have got to be one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen.

Ashlbee
September 9th, 2012, 04:25 PM
If not suggested yet, you could try twist hair pins. They are like regular hair pins, but in a cork screw, so they offer fantastic hold for all hair types and don't fall out like hair pins can. You actually have to twist them in and out. My hair is very slippery straight, about BSL, and it only takes two for me to get my bun to stay, no elastics!

Not sure if they'll help sinc ether are worthless and ponytail holds and require at least a little bun, but I thought I'd mention just in case!

http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Simple-Styles-Assorted-Colors/dp/B003FVDNO6/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1347229309&sr=1-2&keywords=Twist+hair+pins

jacqueline101
September 9th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Do like I did when my layers were going everywhere. Do a basic bun and put a snood over to help hold it.

Dorothy
September 9th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Your hair is really lovely, in fact, it's some of my favorite hair, I always check on your threads to see if they contain pics.

This is not exactly a bun, but I think it would work for you and look adorable....and I think it would be indistinguishable from a bun to the casual observer. It's also an ancient hairstyle, which I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_30u_7KOAo

It's called the Aphrodite Knot - and if you do it I hope you post a pic. Otherwise I agree with the other ladies about sectioning.

Indigo Girl
September 9th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I don't have any advice on the bun issue, but I wanted to say that I love your hair - it is just beautiful.

lunalocks
September 9th, 2012, 07:13 PM
You have amazing hair!

Thai might work - take a mid section of hair and twist into a mini bun. Pin in place with spin pins. Then take another section from upper front and twist and then circle around bun number one. Hold in place with a spin pin. Then do another. Tuck ends under, pin with a spin pin onto the middle bun that is by now getting bigger. You might have to section you hair into 6 sections. Good luck.

lacefrost
September 9th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I am so blushing. Well, as much as I can given my complexion. Although DH says that when I blush my ears turn red.

Kelikea I think I will try your hair style, but maybe with the buns lower. I think I'd look too childish (because of how young I look) with them high on my head.

Ashlbee, I'm hoping that the forks will work much the same way as hair pins but with a stronger hold.

Dorothy, the Aphrodite knot is actually really sexy. I'm not sure if my hair is long enough to look that nice but I'll try it. If it's way too short, I could probably pin the ends and it would still be a bun of sorts.

I also don't post many pics or threads because I don't want anyone to think I'm vain. I'm not, really. I struggle with my hair just like everyone else. . .

CurlyCap
September 9th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I second the spin pins suggestion.

Traditional buns require a lot of length, which doesn't help if you have thick hair or curly hair and you have both.

Spin pins might work because between them and your hair, you'll pretty much be able to hold any "up" hairdo you want. I've gotten some pretty ridiculously awesome updos out of my spinpins so far and it's more architecture than traditionally bunning.

Just get a lot. I know a lot of peeps get away with 3-4 on this board, but I need at least 6 and I bet you'd need more.

lunalocks
September 10th, 2012, 11:27 AM
be sure to post pics!

Charybdis
September 10th, 2012, 12:30 PM
lacefrost, I love your curls! So thick! So squiggly! Squeeee!

OK, with that out of the way: I always ponytail with a hair-friendly elastic before attempting to bun in a single bun at my current length. I just cannot get a structure that stays otherwise. I think elastics cause the most trouble for fine hair. If you do not have problems with breakage, I wouldn't worry too much about the occasional elastic. Just don't wear an elastic in the same way in the same spot every day.

I really like my octopus clip, because I am very clumsy, and it takes basically zero coordination to fold up my ponytail and secure it with the octopus clip. Except that, unfortunately, I am outgrowing the giant octopus clip. I have ordered one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Caravan-Triple-Large-Amount-Tortoise/dp/B0014JO2K0/ref=pd_ybh_12), and will let you know how it goes.

I also like doing a French braid and then folding up the braid tail and using the octopus clip to hold it in place. I don't know how difficult French braiding would be with your level of curl, though.

As far as making a braided bun with two sections: I'm a bit past APL now (my hair is 2b, but looks more like a volume-tastic 1c a few days after wash), and I'm nowhere close to being able to do that. Half my hair makes a braid that's way too thick to coil in any kind of useful way at this length. Admittedly, I do have a bunch of layers, but I still think I'll need to be past BSL before I can start coiling up a braid that contains half my hair. Given how curly your hair is, I think you're about equivalent to someone like me between SL and BSL in terms of bunnability. Anyway, my point (yes! there is one!) is that more than two sections is probably a good idea. :)

ravenreed
September 10th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Can you manage a Gibson Tuck with your length and texture? It is one of my favorite looks, but my hair is too long for it now, and I didn't learn about it until too late! It does use an elastic, but it looks so darned cute! I don't think elastics are that horrible unless you are wearing them in the same place all the time.

Charybdis
September 16th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I really like my octopus clip, because I am very clumsy, and it takes basically zero coordination to fold up my ponytail and secure it with the octopus clip. Except that, unfortunately, I am outgrowing the giant octopus clip. I have ordered one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Caravan-Triple-Large-Amount-Tortoise/dp/B0014JO2K0/ref=pd_ybh_12), and will let you know how it goes.

OK, I just got my XL hair clip, and it's... not bad. I don't think the shape is as useful and versatile as the octopus, but the spring seems fairly strong and it's holding my hair up pretty comfortably. My big octopus clip bit the dust recently (one of the bits of plastic holding the spring in place broke); I'm undecided about whether to get another one while I wait for my hair to get closer to BSL.

I really wish Scunci made an XXXL octopus clip. Sigh.