PDA

View Full Version : Protein treatments

Chanie
September 8th, 2012, 02:44 PM
So i couldnt find a thread in here regarding protein treatment, and thought to myself we need one of those! So post your favorite recipe on a homemade protein treatment

I usually mix eggs with oliveoil,honey, and cocnut oil and im looking for variety :) !

Excuse me for my english beeing bad <3

Pearly~91
September 8th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I'm surprised that there isn't another thread already... I searched but couldn't find an 'official' thread. If there is one that we can't find, then maybe we could get a little help from the mods??

Anyways, I don't really do anything specific. I have thrown together a couple of protein treatments before, just for fun, but my hair isn't really in dire need of protein or anything. I use soy sauce (low sodium) in mine typically, and a mixture of whatever else proteiny (sorry that's not a word) that I have on hand. I've heard avocado is good, and mayonnaise, and I have used coconut milk.

Yeah, I just throw stuff together and see if it works. :o I don't really have any expertise.

Here are some threads that might give a bit more info.

this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47142&highlight=protein+treatment)

and this one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49077&highlight=protein+treatment) is kind of like an 'official' protein thread, but it's not dedicated to treatments

and this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51147&highlight=sauce) thread has a few treatment recipes from other users.

gthlvrmx
September 8th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Honestly, when my hair needs protein, which is rare, i use Mane N Tail original conditioner. After that my hair isn't as stretchy anymore but honestly its only happened once in my life and it worked!

Before i tried all those packs and everything but they hardly did anything which worried and confused me. Seems like mane n tail works for me!
i think egg and mayo works better, just use the yolk as the white made my hair dry.

Chanie
September 8th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Honestly, when my hair needs protein, which is rare, i use Mane N Tail original conditioner. After that my hair isn't as stretchy anymore but honestly its only happened once in my life and it worked!

Before i tried all those packs and everything but they hardly did anything which worried and confused me. Seems like mane n tail works for me!
i think egg and mayo works better, just use the yolk as the white made my hair dry.
The whites has a lot of protein 88 &#37; or something, and its not drying when mixed with other things, at least for me :)).

Chanie
September 8th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I'm surprised that there isn't another thread already... I searched but couldn't find an 'official' thread. If there is one that we can't find, then maybe we could get a little help from the mods??

Anyways, I don't really do anything specific. I have thrown together a couple of protein treatments before, just for fun, but my hair isn't really in dire need of protein or anything. I use soy sauce (low sodium) in mine typically, and a mixture of whatever else proteiny (sorry that's not a word) that I have on hand. I've heard avocado is good, and mayonnaise, and I have used coconut milk.

Yeah, I just throw stuff together and see if it works. :o I don't really have any expertise.

Here are some threads that might give a bit more info.

this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47142&highlight=protein+treatment)

and this one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49077&highlight=protein+treatment) is kind of like an 'official' protein thread, but it's not dedicated to treatments

and this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51147&highlight=sauce) thread has a few treatment recipes from other users.
Thank you so much :)

Pearly~91
September 8th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Thank you so much :)

You're welcome! Hopefully someone comes along that really knows their protein stuff and really adds some info. ;)

gthlvrmx
September 8th, 2012, 04:06 PM
The whites has a lot of protein 88 % or something, and its not drying when mixed with other things, at least for me :)).
it was the white or the yolk, i completely forgot, someone mentioned it dries skin and hair and i took it out and there went my problem with dry hair after i used it.

Chanie
September 8th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Well i use it all with good results :) :)

DinaAG
September 8th, 2012, 04:22 PM
anyone tried Giovanni Hair Care - Smooth As Silk Xtreme Protein Hair Infusion? looks full of protein

Wildcat Diva
September 8th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I have heard that hair can't really absorb the food proteins that well. I have heard adding a teaspoon of soy sauce, and also a Knox gelatin treatment. I have also used a half can of coconut milk but I am not sure how strong that is.

Chimom79
September 8th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I'm still learning about protien, how do you know if your hair is is need of it?

Kyla
September 8th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I just use Mane and Tail conditioner once in a while, it seems to work pretty well for me. :)

Chimom79
September 8th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I'm still learning about protien, how do you know if your hair is is need of it?

Sorry, I looked it up and somewhere online it says the #1 one sign that you may need protein is if your hair is insistently dry and brittle. [If your hair seems to split and break easily and no longer seems elastic.] Number two sign that you may need protein is if your hair is very stretchy and gummy from too much moisture.

I don't think my hair fits any of that, so I guess I'm ok. Lol

HairySherry
September 8th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I think my hair needs some protein, it's been looking awful lately and is really stretchy, especially when wet. Has anyone tried yogurt and had good results? I've heard it's good for adding protein, but I'm not quite sure how to apply it (how much, in what manner, leave on for how long, remove how?) Is there a particular type of yogurt that works best?

Hollyfire3
September 8th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I think my hair needs some protein, it's been looking awful lately and is really stretchy, especially when wet. Has anyone tried yogurt and had good results? I've heard it's good for adding protein, but I'm not quite sure how to apply it (how much, in what manner, leave on for how long, remove how?) Is there a particular type of yogurt that works best?

Any unflavored yogurt works, greek is stronger though. I would use it on washed, damp hair and leave it on for 30 mins then rinse it out. If your hair is protein sensitive, maybe condition afterwards for moisture?

Agnieszka
September 8th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I started to go "natural" with my hair care and all lifestyle couple of weeks ago. Stopped using shampoos, conditioners, hair sprays etc. After no luck in finding natural products in Shanghai I reached to my fridge and did my first protein treatment :-)

eggs, avocado, lemon, honey, bit of olive oil, haha scoop of my husband's protein powder as it smelled good and had some hydrolysed, isolated whey protein :-) He wasn't too happy but told him not to be stingy on my beauty regimen haha. Left it on my head in a plastic cover for 40 min and rinsed it off following by ginger tea :-) I haven't used any shampoo and my hair wasn't greasy. It was clean. Have no idea how is it possible...

The only thing is I could not comb my hair after as it was impossible (I have year of strong bleaching every month on my head followed with light brown permanent dye so without conditioner I couldn't comb them anyway) but was hoping for more moisturising properties of this fridge goodness :-)

I will not give up, I'm actually quite motivated that this is good for my hair and scalp. I do water wash only twice a week, and once this protein wash. Hair after being dried naturally appear thicker and stronger too me.

Waiting for my henna to arrive soon from U.S. (fingers crossed it won't be lost somewhere on the way to China) and hoping to have some shine and thickness after. :-)

juliaxena
September 8th, 2012, 10:03 PM
There actually is a fairly recent protein thread that seemed it would become official.

Chanie
September 9th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I know my hair needs this because i have bleached over many years, i wont do it again! :)

HairySherry
September 10th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Any unflavored yogurt works, greek is stronger though. I would use it on washed, damp hair and leave it on for 30 mins then rinse it out. If your hair is protein sensitive, maybe condition afterwards for moisture?

Thank you! How can I tell if I'm protein sensitive?

UltraBella
September 10th, 2012, 08:10 AM
My hair loves protein !
I don't make anything homemade though, I use Joico K-Pak Reconstructor. My hair feels so soft and super shiny afterwards.

Annibelle
September 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Will be eyeballin' this thread, as I think I need a protein treatment!

Vrindi
September 10th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Any recommendations for vegetarian protein treatments? No eggs or gelatin? I'm ok with milk.

Annibelle
September 10th, 2012, 10:36 AM
^ Or vegan, as I'm vegan. :o

Sammie_holms
September 10th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Kind of a dumb question, but what is the opposite of a protein treatment? I don't think my hair likes protein, and I have no clue how to do a treatment for my hair other then olive oil :p

Pearly~91
September 10th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Kind of a dumb question, but what is the opposite of a protein treatment? I don't think my hair likes protein, and I have no clue how to do a treatment for my hair other then olive oil :p
The 'opposite' of protein is moisture. You can try a moisturizing treatment. The popular recipe that I've seen is the SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128), maybe you could try that. When I have done a protein treatment I have always followed with a SMT because protein can dry out your hair.

Chanie
September 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM
My hair loves protein !
I don't make anything homemade though, I use Joico K-Pak Reconstructor. My hair feels so soft and super shiny afterwards.
I use that to sometimes, its nice and i love the gummy smell :D

Chanie
September 10th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Any recommendations for vegetarian protein treatments? No eggs or gelatin? I'm ok with milk.

What about soy sauce ??

Hollyfire3
September 10th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Thank you! How can I tell if I'm protein sensitive?

If you do a protein treatment, such as a yogurt treatment, and your hair instantly is brittle, snappy and rough, it may be protein sensetive. Its not really cut and dry though because the bad results could just mean your hair doesn't need protein right now, not that its protein sensetive. Normally, if you get terribly rough, brittle hair from using daily products with fair amounts of protein high up in the lable, you hair is probably protein sensetive...but, then there is the whole buisness of deciding if the sensitivty is to all proteins or just specific ones, its all trial and error really. HTH

Long_hair_bear
September 10th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I use babyface pure protein. :)

aresamrit
September 10th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Hello! I've used a protein treatment by Aphogee call Two-Step protein treatment and it worked well! I've recently went from dyed jet black hair to platinum blond in 3 months. My hair was in terrible condition, it was very porous and I couldn't brush through it without saturating it in a keratin leave-in conditioner. Even then I still felt alot of hair breaking and snapping off. Also when wet it would feel gummy and stretch, when dry it looked like hay and had a very stiff texture. Never doing that again!

Give it a try if you're going a non natural route. It's inexpensive as a single treatment retails around $4-$6 and lasts for six weeks. A bottle may cost around $9-$10. You can find this online at Amazon or at a local Sally's Besuty Supply. So far I'm amazed as my hair no longer stretches nor does it feel gummy, it is now shiny and smoother. As soon as I finished rinsing out my conditioner I felt and saw the results. Since then a lot of people have commented on how healthy or great my hair looks! I highly recommend this to people who have chemically damaged hair or are experiencing breakage. I do not recommend this to any who are only experiencing dryness, for that I just recommend a hair mask or oil treatment with mild heat.

Sorry for being long-winded :eek:

lilliemer
September 10th, 2012, 09:19 PM
^ Or vegan, as I'm vegan. :o

you could try light coconut milk...I usually just put in a tupperware and dip the ends of my hair, then rinse it out at the end of my shower. As far as protein treatments go I believe this is a fairly mild one. There is an excellent article about coconut milk around here somewhere, i believe Dianyla is the author.

I have tried regular coconut milk and highly endorse using the "light" stuff. the full fat coconut milk made my hair greasy...even greasier than coconut oil itself for some reason.

I would also guess that soy milk might have similar effects but be a little more intense protein wise. But I have never read about anyone trying it...Might be worth an experiment :stirpot:

Rhoward
September 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Sounds a bit yuk but I mix 2 eggs into about a cup of mayo, leave it for about 45 minutes and it makes my hair strong and silky - which is almost impossible after all I've done to it.

P.S i'm totally repentant now and would NEVER put evil bleach or colour on my poor hair again

jojo
September 11th, 2012, 07:31 AM
My fine hair loves protein when it really needs a hard hit of it APhogee 2 step but my all time favorite now it joico K- pak reconstructor nothing beats how soft and shiny this makes my hair.

Vivalagina
September 11th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I use a simple homemade recipe I found over on NaturallyCurly. It's worked well for me, and is extremely easy on the wallet. It's based around gelatin.

http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/p/science-y-hair-blog-recipes.html

There's also a vegetarian option there... basically, beer. :)

HairySherry
September 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM
^^Very cool... I make tons of homemade marshmallows, so I've always got gelatin in my kitchen!

Random question... I'm due for a clarifying shampoo. If I were to do a protein treatment with greek yogurt and then clarify after I rinsed it out, do you think it would cause the protein to not "take" as well as if I didn't clarify? I can always push my clarify to another wash day, but I like to do those kinds of things on weekends when I have more time to baby my hair. Thanks!!

Vivalagina
September 12th, 2012, 03:06 PM
My understanding is that your hair will soak in as much protein into the strand and once it's hit "full" it won't take anymore no matter how long you leave it on. So I don't think a clarifying wash would effect a preotein treatment since your hair has already soaked the protein into the hair and a clarifying wash is only removing build up from the outside of the hair. Just a guess on my part though.

Hollyfire3
September 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM
^^Very cool... I make tons of homemade marshmallows, so I've always got gelatin in my kitchen!

Random question... I'm due for a clarifying shampoo. If I were to do a protein treatment with greek yogurt and then clarify after I rinsed it out, do you think it would cause the protein to not "take" as well as if I didn't clarify? I can always push my clarify to another wash day, but I like to do those kinds of things on weekends when I have more time to baby my hair. Thanks!!

Hmm..I would clarify first, then use the protein treament in place of normal conditioner. The, use a moisture treatment to balance it out.

Long_hair_bear
September 12th, 2012, 03:09 PM

I always clarify first, then do the protien treatment. The protien bottle says to so that no product build up will block the protien.

HairySherry
September 12th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Thank you, thank you, I'm glad I asked! Hollyfire what do you mean by moisture treatment, specifically?

Hollyfire3
September 12th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Thank you, thank you, I'm glad I asked! Hollyfire what do you mean by moisture treatment, specifically?

A moisture treatment is something such as am SMT (snowy's moisture treatment: conditioner, honey, aloe gel) it is a deep conditioner with little to no protein in it with the sole purpose of adding moisture to the hair instead of making it stronger. Soemthing like....Redken nature rescue deep conditioner...if you want to get fancy, if not, just take a regular conditioner add some oil of your choice, or some aloe or honey or all three depending on what your hair loves, put it on after rinsing out the protein treament, leave on for at least 30 mins and viola, moistureized hair that is stronger from the protein treatment.

HairySherry
September 13th, 2012, 07:33 AM
A moisture treatment is something such as am SMT (snowy's moisture treatment: conditioner, honey, aloe gel) it is a deep conditioner with little to no protein in it with the sole purpose of adding moisture to the hair instead of making it stronger. Soemthing like....Redken nature rescue deep conditioner...if you want to get fancy, if not, just take a regular conditioner add some oil of your choice, or some aloe or honey or all three depending on what your hair loves, put it on after rinsing out the protein treament, leave on for at least 30 mins and viola, moistureized hair that is stronger from the protein treatment.
So I could use my Biolage conditioning balm, then? Or could I skip putting the conditioner on in the shower and use some nice oils on damp hair instead? Or should I use something I can rinse out? I really appreciate the help, I'm definitely new to the whole protein treatment thing and I think my hair will benefit greatly from it!

kitcatsmeow
September 13th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Before I stopped using cones and sulfates, Aphogee rescued my over bleached hair several times. I also like Mane n' Tail but besides the cones it had parabens :O

So besides my Aubrey Organics GBP conditioner I guess I haven't really done any treatments besides my SMT. I think I could def use one though. MY hair isn't desperate for it but I think a nice egg mask followed by a SMT would be great,

Thanks for starting this thread OP...I was just searching for Egg masks yesterday and not finding too much!

HairySherry
September 16th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I did a protein treatment with greek yogurt last night and... wow. My hair looks and feels incredible. This is what I did: I clarified my hair, got out of the shower and combed the yogurt through my damp hair (for some reason this made my hair extremely tangly), put my hair up in a claw and waited 30 mins., got back in the shower and rinsed all of the yogurt out, applied some biolage conditioning balm to the bottom part of my length, focusing on my ends, then rinsed well after a minute. After I got out of the shower I put a small amount of mineral oil on just my ends, then I let my hair air dry. I didn't put too much conditioning balm on because my hair tends to get weighed down easily by conditioner, but all of my hair felt very soft and sleek. Normally my hair gets frizzy when it air dries, but it didn't do that at all. I combed through it with my tangle teezer about a million times while it was drying, so maybe that had something to do with it, but my hair feels so much nicer than it usually does. It feels thicker as well. I'm so happy I did this! :happydance: