PDA

View Full Version : Manic Panic: am I the only one with this problem???

MidnightStar
September 8th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Does Manic Panic stain anyone else's skin???? I mean, to the point where you need rubbing alcohol and you scrub till you're raw and it still won't budge?
Little background: a few months ago I did Manic Panic to try and cover my grays and have a little fun (my hair is dark so the crazy color wouldn't really show). I used to do henna/indigo but I hated the smell and thought this might be a less permanent alternative. I used a protein treatment first, which I then didn't wash out and left on with the MP overnight. It was a disaster!! It stained my skin so bad that I needed a washcloth to scrub myself and then the color transfer from my hair was so bad that it regularly made me look like a ridiculous Smurf. I thought it was the protein treatment.
With some trepidation, I tried again today with the same color MP (Rockabilly Blue, if you're interested). No protein treatment, and I left the color on for about an hour. I was going to do two or three, but I got nervous and jumped in the shower early.
And yet again, blue stains everywhere but my hair!! My feet were blue, my legs were blue, my nails are steadily turning blue (I wore gloves in the shower). I washed my hair with SLS shampoo while I was in there and then conditioned. I was prepared this time, at least, with a super scrubby brush and some rubbing alcohol. Oh, and a pumice stone which I used on my legs because seriously, this stuff wants to ruin my life. But I think I'm looking at at least another week of everything my hair touches turning blue. This was the WORST, I'm telling you guys. I don't know if I got a bad batch or what, but I'm done with Manic Panic. Pass the henna and indigo, I don't care if it stinks anymore! At least it doesn't dye my skin.
Oh, and to add insult to injury, it didn't color my hair. You suck, Manic Panic. I hate ya like you killed my dog! :(

Memza
September 8th, 2012, 12:40 PM
That's what normally happens to me with similar dyes. If you get it undyluted on your skin then rubbing alcohol is the only way to get it off your skin and it will stay on your nails for at least a week. Transfer from your hair will (if it's anything like mine) last for a lot longer than a week.

I always makes sure there is none on my skin before the waiting period and them wash it leaning over the bath to stop it getting on me.

pink.sara
September 8th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Wow, that sounds like a blue nightmare?!
I've never managed to stain myself blue all over, I wipe it off instantly if it spills when I'm applying and when I'm showering it off I make sure to get my skin completely wet before I start rinsing, then rinse with my head tilted back so it doesn't run down my face.

I've actually used that particular blue and didn't find it the worst for staining by any stretch, Special Effects reds and pinks get that prize :)

MidnightStar
September 8th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Now that it's dried and I've reassessed, I don't think it's as bad as it was last time. At least, this time I have the rubbing alcohol and other stuff to take it off so I don't end up looking like a complete idiot. :o
I've used MP in different colors before and never had this problem. I've used Vampire Red and also a different dark blue so it's not the dark color that's the problem. I've also used Pravana Vivids in blue, and it didn't stick to or stain my skin.
Also, weirdly...it turned some of my hair pink. This happened last time too, and I was convinced I'd destroyed my hair. Now I know I haven't, but I mean...in the sun, it's like I have neon pink highlights. I think I'll see how it is in the morning (meaning, how badly has it transferred to my skin!). Sigh...I actually love the color I get from MP, because I like just a hint of that blue/purple/whatever, and as I said, I hate how indigo smells. Maybe if I do it again I'll just lean my head over the tub or get into the shower fully clothed in something I don't care about. Hey, at least most of my tops are dark colored so if there's any color transfer, it won't show!

spidermom
September 8th, 2012, 05:58 PM
No.

I put Vaseline around my hairline and ears, wear gloves, and do my first rinse outside with the garden hose no matter how cold it is.

absinthewilde
September 8th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I second vaseline and then if you still get some stainging baking soda usually scrubs it off.

jackie75
September 9th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Special effects is like this for me. I don't like using Vaseline near my hairline, because then a lot of spots don't get colored. I just make sure I'm prepared with lots of cotton balls and q-tips soaked in rubbing alcohol beforehand.

You can try using olive oil or something similar for your legs, etc. Once I rinsed out purple dye in the shower, and it stained my feet, legs stomach...I looked like a corpse! Now, I just bend over the tub and rinse.

MidnightStar
September 9th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Special effects is like this for me. I don't like using Vaseline near my hairline, because then a lot of spots don't get colored. I just make sure I'm prepared with lots of cotton balls and q-tips soaked in rubbing alcohol beforehand.

You can try using olive oil or something similar for your legs, etc. Once I rinsed out purple dye in the shower, and it stained my feet, legs stomach...I looked like a corpse! Now, I just bend over the tub and rinse.

That's exactly how I thought I looked, except blue!! Thanks. I used my scrubby with a ton of body wash yesterday and that seemed to help a lot. I went ahead and washed my hair today even though I only wash every other day. I want to get this stuff OUT!! ;) I bent over the shower and washed my hair 3 times (length too, which I never do) and then conditioned. It was super tangly to comb out, but I was expecting that from the SLS shampoo and also washing it upside down. At least I didn't get any more dye on my skin lol! Used a whole palmful of Toadstool's leave in conditioner. We'll see what happens. I seriously feel so dumb right now...I mean, I had a feeling it was going to happen, and I did it anyway! Sometimes I think that's my life motto.

jackie75
September 9th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Just don't wash yourself raw! LOL. I just rinsed out my manic panic ultraviolet...and used Giovannis smooth as silk to condish. I even did my eyes brows for kicks...I have some purple on my ears...but thank goodness for rubbing alcohol. Even though my ear piercings are at least 20 years old, they don't like the rubbing alcohol, and act like I just got them pierced! It's like you just can't win, haha.

I also added amla oil to my hair. Yuck. I hate how it smells. :) What we go through to be pretty...

AlicesPlatforms
September 9th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Even when I didn't dilute, I'd maybe get some on my ears... And that would be gone in a week! :O
I mean it says on the jar you should put vaseline on your ears, but to have it get on your legs... woah!

Kaelee
September 10th, 2012, 08:51 AM
It turned your hair PINK and you blue?

I've never used manic panic and am no expert by any means but it sounds to me like you may have gotten a bad batch. :(

MidnightStar
September 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM
It turned your hair PINK and you blue?

I've never used manic panic and am no expert by any means but it sounds to me like you may have gotten a bad batch. :(

That's what I think, too, since I bought both pots at the same time, at Sally's, I think back in July? I only used one the first time I did this and then the second one this past weekend. The "pink" color is very weird, because MP doesn't lighten your hair and my hair was black, albeit black from henna/indigo, at least that far down on the length. I thought it was color-stripping at first but as the MP washed out, the pink went away.
Oh well. Lesson learned! At least I know how to fix it this time, and I have plenty of deep treatment conditioner left over from the last! Maybe I'll stroll through some indigo threads and see if anyone's come up with a way to mask the smelly scent of indigo. :bigtongue: