PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing sticks and forks

Curlsgirl
March 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I have a few sticks and forks that really aren't smooth and polished enough for me. I LOVE my Sixtieth Street forks and the way they are so smooth and shiny and just glide through my hair. Is there a way for ME to make the ones that are less smooth like the good ones without expensive equipment? Anyone know?

florenonite
March 16th, 2008, 03:19 PM
What about really fine sandpaper?

Curlsgirl
March 16th, 2008, 07:56 PM
What about really fine sandpaper?

I don't know. Would that work? I wonder if they use enamel or acrylic or something too to make them smoother. Anyone know any more?

rubyann
March 16th, 2008, 07:58 PM
If you have a wood working store in your town you can buy a set of increasingly fine grained sanders. I don't recall what they're called, but I have some. The set cost me maybe $10 from Wood Crafters. I don't know if Home Depot or hardware stores would carry these, as they are for finishing wood working projects, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

lynnala
March 16th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Fine sanding is the key. Sandpaper grit is designated by number, 100 being very coarse, up to very very fine which is 3000. 3000 grit is used for things like sanding autos for painting and can be purchased at auto supply stores. Hardware stores will sell sandpaper up to at least 1200 and probably much higher. You want to start with the coarser grits and move up to the finer for finishing, as rubyann stated. 1200 is probably fine enough for wood, or 800. You can also buy sandpaper that can be used in water, then you can sand with oil, which creates a very smooth finish. I think most woodworkers don't add a varnish to their wooden hairsticks, as it would eventually peel and flake.

squiggyflop
March 16th, 2008, 08:37 PM
i make some toys for myself and i use gloss spray and very fine sandpaper.. ive never had anything flake off before but then again i let it really soak into the wood and sand between coats... unfortunatly because my stuff ends up being glass smooth (usually) i have trouble photographing it in any room but my dark windowless bathroom.. i say the higher the grit the better the results so go out there and find yourself some 600 or higher grit paper

Curlsgirl
March 17th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Thank you all so much! I'll give it a try with my cheaper wood hair fork that I haven't been able to wear because it's so rough! What kind of gloss spray do you use Squiggyflop and where do you get it?

squiggyflop
March 17th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Thank you all so much! I'll give it a try with my cheaper wood hair fork that I haven't been able to wear because it's so rough! What kind of gloss spray do you use Squiggyflop and where do you get it?
polycrylic is a good one and i know they sell it in most craftstores and walmart superstores. i use a variety of different sprays but ive found polycrilic to be a good one

Curlsgirl
March 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
polycrylic is a good one and i know they sell it in most craftstores and walmart superstores. i use a variety of different sprays but ive found polycrilic to be a good oneThanks a bunch! :flowers:

birdiefu
March 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I've had great results using a 3-way nail buffer to smooth down rough hairtoys. I just go from the rougher grit to shape (I usually like pointier tips, too), smoother to- uh- smooth it down, and the buff to make a nice glassy shine.

Curlsgirl
March 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I've had great results using a 3-way nail buffer to smooth down rough hairtoys. I just go from the rougher grit to shape (I usually like pointier tips, too), smoother to- uh- smooth it down, and the buff to make a nice glassy shine.

Oh I like that idea! I will try that first since I have one here! Thanks!