PDA

View Full Version : Rant! John Frieda advert

CurlyCurves
September 7th, 2012, 05:07 PM
May I have a rant?

/Begin rant.

So, I'm sitting there watching CBB, and the ad break comes up. This John Frieda advert comes on and, I kid you not, this is what it says;

------------------------------

(May be slightly paraphrased)

"What do we do with frizzy, curly hair?" (enter model with more wavy than curly hair, backcombed and deliberately frizzed out. Looks a bit fried, but not that bad to me).

"Get rid of it!" (enter model with shiny, photoshopped-to-perfection-, straight hair).

It then goes on to make other, not-so-subtle-subtle digs at curly hair, while promoting straight hair as the ideal.

I. Am. Sick. Of. It.

I love straight hair. I love curly hair. I love wavy hair. And everything inbetween. As long as it is healthy.

But as a person who doesn't like discrimination, and as a curly myself, I am sick, to the back teeth, of curly hair being seen as some sort of virus in the general media/society/some people's minds.

NO. Our hair does not need to go away. How dare you?

What do you do with curly, frizzy hair? (not neccessarily correlated, John Frieda) YOU BLOODY WELL LOOK AFTER IT AND TREAT IT LIKE ANTIQUE LACE!!

Quite frankly, Mr Frieda (and the rest of the media whose idea this curly hair hate is), my curls don't need or want your rubbish, cone-y products (hey, I use cones, but still). You can sod right off.

/End rant.

(You guys understand my frustration/anger/hurt, right?)

Kiwiwi
September 7th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hallelujah!

This was indeed my rant too when I saw this commercial for the first time months ago.
It pissed me off.

stew
September 7th, 2012, 05:27 PM
ugh. getting older, i've become extremely critical of advertising (to the point where it's probably unpleasant to watch television with me) and the idea of that commercial seriously bothers me. anything that is blatantly trying to change people's views, or make them feel bad about themselves, shouldn't be allowed in my opinion. so many people base their happiness off what advertisements tell them is the "right" way to be - and i'm not criticizing those people; advertising can be very persuasive. it's just low and dirty of the advertising company to make people think they're not good enough just to make some money :(

akilina
September 7th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Ranting is totally good! It really helps to speak your mind sometimes :)

I totally agree with loving your texture no matter what.

I am not a "hair discriminator" either :D I accept all forms! lol.

I do think though that this ad is probably aimed for people that have curly hair and hate it.
More people should embrace what they have. There is no doubt about it in my mind but a majority of people spend their time hating what they have instead of making it work and making it beautiful.

Does JF even have any lines for curly hair??? I dont use the product and don't like it in general. It is SOOO drying to me!
I also don't really keep tabs on what the drug store is selling. I go straight to the "ethnic" hair section and get me some Shea Moisture :]

Either way, curls are beautiful. It is annoying to hear a sales pitch saying things "get rid of it"

Lunadriael
September 7th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I tried using John Frieda products one time... It wasn't good for me. And my hair's straight and fine...

Arashi
September 7th, 2012, 06:18 PM
That commercial really ticked me off too. :mad:

It makes me think of my mother, who has the most gorgeous natural ringlet curls(I still curse the universe that I didn't end up with curly hair like her's) who has for as long as I can remember always said her hair looks like a "mess" or that she looks like "a wild woman" because of her hair.

She's told me how she used to brush it endlessly when she was a teenager to try to make it straight(and of course ended up with a poofball). I recall a period of a couple years where she straightened it daily before going into work until it was fried and broke off. And I know that it's because of stupid crap like that ad that the notion that curly hair is 'messy' or 'bad' entered her head and caused her a lifetime of struggling against her hair. Drives me batty that this sort of thing is still so rampant in the media and causing such complexes for people today.

Vrindi
September 7th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Ugh. I stopped reading magazines long ago because of the nastiness and judgement and forced "perfection." I also work in film/video/photography, and know my way around Photoshop, so I don't buy any of it. I watch most tv on the computer or netflix, so I miss a lot of these commercials, and I'm so much happier for it!

I think the best thing to do is realize that this kind of thing is completely misguided, and either fight it if that's your cause, or just ignore it altogether. Curly hair is beautiful. Straight hair is beautiful. Curvy women are as beautiful as slim ones, and older women are as beautiful as young ones. Just believe in your own beauty. There's no need to buy it from a store unless it's your choice and actually makes you happy.

Maverick494
September 7th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I saw that ad too and my mom was like "I actually prefer the 'before' look".:D

Tisiloves
September 7th, 2012, 06:44 PM
All of the ads (particularly the health and beauty one) are :bs:.

The ad can't be as bad as the series of hairstyling tutorials they have on Youtube (super patronising and a lot of unnecessary faff and products).

Milui Elenath
September 7th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Television has also become unpleasant for me to watch. After years of not watching it I briefly returned lulled back by Once Upon a time after seeing the add at a friends house. :) Unfortunately though I loved the show the adds made me crazy, I had forgotten how repetitive they are, how insulting and stereotypical. While shows do that too it's the adds which are by far the worst!

While my hair is straight and I love it, I also love other hair types on other people and I hate advertising for attempting to influence us all into one 'perfect' type . . . likely so we all can be told that we now need to buy product b to give us all a different look that is the new 'perfect.' The media's attack on women's beauty makes me very angry. :steam

spirals
September 7th, 2012, 08:31 PM
YOU BLOODY WELL LOOK AFTER IT AND TREAT IT LIKE ANTIQUE LACE!!<snip>
You can sod right off. First, :lol: . It's funny 'cause it's true. [/Will and Grace reference] Second, I thought you were American! :confused: :doh: :o

Dandelion6
September 7th, 2012, 08:39 PM
May I have a rant?

/Begin rant.

So, I'm sitting there watching CBB, and the ad break comes up. This John Frieda advert comes on and, I kid you not, this is what it says;

(May be slightly paraphrased)

"What do we do with frizzy, curly hair?" (enter model with more wavy than curly hair, backcombed and deliberately frizzed out. Looks a bit fried, but not that bad to me).

"Get rid of it!" (enter model with shiny, photoshopped-to-perfection-, straight hair).

It then goes on to make other, not-so-subtle-subtle digs at curly hair, while promoting straight hair as the ideal.

I. Am. Sick. Of. It.

I love straight hair. I love curly hair. I love wavy hair. And everything inbetween. As long as it is healthy.

But as a person who doesn't like discrimination, and as a curly myself, I am sick, to the back teeth, of curly hair being seen as some sort of virus in the general media/society/some people's minds.

NO. Our hair does not need to go away. How dare you?

What do you do with curly, frizzy hair? (not neccessarily correlated, John Frieda) YOU BLOODY WELL LOOK AFTER IT AND TREAT IT LIKE ANTIQUE LACE!!

Quite frankly, Mr Frieda (and the rest of the media whose idea this curly hair hate is), my curls don't need or want your rubbish, cone-y products (hey, I use cones, but still). You can sod right off.

/End rant.

(You guys understand my frustration/anger/hurt, right?)

Well said indeed! I'm a wavy and feel the same way.

floralgem
September 7th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Ahmen. I hate how much flack curly girls get because their hair isn't stick straight. I admit, I did hate my curly hair for the longest time since everyone I go to school with have stick straight, but I just realized I have to embrace it and just figure out how to deal with it, subtracting the heat..(Only for competitions...)

Seeshami
September 7th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I would trade in my dead stick straight straight hair for a wave or curls or anything besides straight. The Naughty Mess can't even hold a wave for more then five minutes.

katfemme89
September 7th, 2012, 11:32 PM
I totally agree with your rant and I think it's an atrocity to discriminate against hair types. My husband has BEAUTIFUL curly hair and I would b****slap someone who said something mean about it. And my hair is wavy and *feigned gasp* sometimes even frizzy! I think my hair is still beautiful, frizz and all.

However, sometimes I do feel the need to play devil's advocate, and this is one of those times. Marketing campaigns are entirely built around making you feel like what you have is not good enough. All of them. Always. Making you feel bad about yourself and like you don't stack up and that their product is the panacea for all, is how they sneakily peddle their s***. It sucks, but it's harsh reality. But they definitely could've been less derogatory about curly hair in the commercial.

Oubli
September 8th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Ugh. I stopped reading magazines long ago because of the nastiness and judgement and forced "perfection." . . . I watch most tv on the computer or netflix, so I miss a lot of these commercials, and I'm so much happier for it!

This ↑

I don't watch TV anymore either, when everyone went digital I choose not to. I was already watching less and less for years and then I had a baby and she made me turn off the TV with it's insipid, self-esteem harming commercials. My emotional health is so much better for turning off the TV and so is my self-image! I hope my daughter is well served by my decision to turn off the TV.

I actually looked up this commercial on Youtube and it's appalling, I am glad I missed it on TV.

Ticky
September 8th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Commercials like that annoy me, too. I just try to remember that they have to make money somehow, and pretty much everything is going to be considered a no-no once. ''Have curly hair? Here, take our magical, expensive product! Have a bra? It's not good, take our magical air bra that costs like gold (and is awfully uncomfortable, by the way)! Want your laundry to be crisp white? Well, we just happened to have our AWESOME detergent in our purse!'' and so on.

I can imagine that it is frustrating to see something like that. It's just that it's all about selling a product, and most commercials nowadays make you sit and wonder how can someone think of something so stupid and non-creative.

The most important thing, in the end, is that you are happy with what you have. Don't listen to silly television trying to tell you what is right and wrong, it can only leave you angry. I have been avoiding TV partially because of that.

Curly Hermione
September 8th, 2012, 03:04 AM
I agree with absolutely everything you said, that advert makes me seriously angry every time I see it. I'm glad there are so many here who think the same!

CurlyCurves
September 8th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Thanks everyone, for your replies. Glad it's not just me who sees the injustice!

First, :lol: . It's funny 'cause it's true. [/Will and Grace reference] Second, I thought you were American! :confused: :doh: :o

Hahah, why did you think that? British, born, bred and never left :) (and racially half).

MonaMayfair
September 8th, 2012, 07:12 AM
First, :lol: . It's funny 'cause it's true. [/Will and Grace reference] Second, I thought you were American! :confused: :doh: :o

Yay for the Will and Grace quote (I've got them all on DVD)

I haven't seen the ad (I record TV and fast forward through any ads) but J Freida DOES do a range for curly hair too ( I think it's called Dream Curls) and I daresay his ads for those celebrate curly hair.

TBH I thought the "fashion" for poker straight hair had been over for at least 4 years. I don't see many people when I'm in London (I'm here at the moment) with hair that looks like it's been straightened. Long ( around mid back) wavy- ish hair is what I see most of. Sometimes straight of course, but not with that flat ironed look.

Mischamiu
September 8th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I also don't like the fact that they basically "hate" on curly hair, but it is just for the money :D it is kind of like seeing a lot of skinny models on the commercials rather than curvier women.
Anyway it makes me happy to see curly hair in TV shows or movies, like Anne Hathaway on Love and other drugs, her hait looked awesome :inlove:

jacqueline101
September 8th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Its sad that people pick on curly hair.

vanillabones
September 8th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Mainstream hair care methods/ads make me giggle. It is all so ridiculous to me now after learning better YES - BETTER ways to take care of hair. It is so much easier too! But yes I've always noticed it seems curls are the enemy.. oo00ooooo... wish I had curls they're gorgeous!

Suze2012
September 8th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I'm with you on it too CurlyCurves!

I had something said to me that made my heckles rise which was along the same lines.

I told my team at work that I had a haircut booked and was getting a couple of inches trimmed off my hair as the subject of hairdressers came up.
All I had said was who I go to and that I was getting a trim that weekend and my whole team got very excited that they would see me with straightened hair the following Monday...

They all assumed that I would have it cut, blown dry and then straightened by the hairdresser - simply because it's curly - and well - you wouldn't want that would you. Straight is the 'ideal' obviously....*sigh*

Kayleigh
September 8th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I always laugh at these kind of commercials. Who are they kidding? How can anyone believe that curly hair magically pops into straight hair by just using a shampoo.

BTW I've seen it the other way around too. I believe it was a Gliss Kur add. The model had straight backcombed hair and she used the product (hairmask if I remember right) and suddenly she had perfect curly hair. Really? If I believed that would actually happen I would have ran to the store to get that product right away.
And also those commercials about 'limp' hair, I would kill (not literally) to have the 'before' hair sometimes!

PrincessIdril
September 8th, 2012, 02:56 PM
oh yeah I saw that advert, it does annoy me. I hate the suggestion that curl hair can "only" be frizzy.
Because of that I refuse to ever use John Frieda products and any other company that bashes curly hair. Long live Aussie and their magic curly hair serum!

Mayflower
September 8th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Seriously, why do you care so much about what other people think about curly hair? :confused:

Freija
September 8th, 2012, 04:31 PM
You know what? Some of you are being just as picky as that advert - you argue that curly hair is beautiful, but you're happy to talk dismissively of frizz.

My hair IS frizzy. I have a little halo of baby hairs, all growing down at different lengths. I have little fine, soft, wispy bits at my nape and temples. My hair is fine and light, soft and glossy, flyaway and thick. Wavy, curly, spirally, Cherub. That's just how it is.

And I love it. I was done trying to change it the last time I started growing it out. Every week I take a couple of shed hairs and do the 'snap' test: if that comes out okay and my hair just feels happy, then it is. I don't need TV advert writers telling me that there is anything wrong with it, that it's not allowed, that I have to do x, or y, or z. They can shut the hell up and go work on their own insecurities.

spidermom
September 8th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Advertisements in general irritate the hel out of me. Magazines would be 1/3 to 1/2 the volume without them, and I can't stand to watch T.V. because about the time I get engrossed in the action GUESS WHAT? IT'S COMMERCIAL TIME! A half hour show only runs for 21 minutes minus commercials.

As for getting my panties in a twist over certain commercials? Nope. Every single one is equally unwelcome.

Elithia
September 8th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Seriously, why do you care so much about what other people think about curly hair? :confused:

Because many of us with curly hair feel discriminated against as a result of it (plenty of women are told to straighten their hair because curly isn't 'professional' enough), and that kind of pervasive attitude contributes to insecurities.

At least, that's this curly's take. :) TBH I feel the same way about weight-loss commercials, especially when the "before" picture looks perfectly healthy, and the "after" is airbrushed and too-thin. Urgh. Some of us are curvy and meant to be.

piffyanne
September 8th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I just saw a monistat commercial with a woman with gorgeous natural curls. They were healthy and happy. There is some hope for curlies, I guess. I thought of this thread immediately.

aspartame gram
September 8th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I loved your rant! Yes, it's horrible that advertisements are still maligning hair texture and people's looks in general. It's not even worth watching television or looking at magazines because the expectations are unrealistic.

I love curly hair--I wish I had it! It's depressing that people are made to feel bad about their ethnicity instead of embracing the differences that make us unique.

Suze2012
September 9th, 2012, 07:01 AM

The only reason it bugs me is that people are happy to tell you you should be doing this that or the other.with it to make it 'better' which usually equates to straighter or straight.
I wouldn't mind if I wanted it that way or asked for advice or comments on my hair - but I never do either.

The ad campaign just backs up what people are saying.

There's two curlies in my team at work..me and one other.
She got ranted at a few months ago for saying she never brushes her hair. She went very quiet and looked at me. She is quite shy and personal comments really get to her.
The look she gave me was 'help!' so I did and proudly backed her up and said I never even comb mine - the attention all then went on to me and I got the hassle! Lol!
She gave me another 'look' and a smile - later that day she thanked me for stepping in.

Annibelle
September 9th, 2012, 07:11 AM
You know what? Some of you are being just as picky as that advert - you argue that curly hair is beautiful, but you're happy to talk dismissively of frizz.

My hair IS frizzy. I have a little halo of baby hairs, all growing down at different lengths. I have little fine, soft, wispy bits at my nape and temples. My hair is fine and light, soft and glossy, flyaway and thick. Wavy, curly, spirally, Cherub. That's just how it is.

And I love it. I was done trying to change it the last time I started growing it out. Every week I take a couple of shed hairs and do the 'snap' test: if that comes out okay and my hair just feels happy, then it is. I don't need TV advert writers telling me that there is anything wrong with it, that it's not allowed, that I have to do x, or y, or z. They can shut the hell up and go work on their own insecurities.

You know, I hadn't considered that. I have very flyaway hair, too, and have been globbing unhealthy amounts of gel into it to try to "fix" it. It looks frizz-free that way, but I can't touch it because it's sticky and matted and feels gross. I had never considered that maybe, like yours, it's "cherubic." SO always says he likes my hair when to me, it's "frizzy," but maybe he's not just saying that to make me feel better... :hmm: You've opened my eyes. Hair, whether curly, wavy, or straight, doesn't have to be sleek to be beautiful and healthy. :flower:

MonaMayfair
September 9th, 2012, 07:16 AM
oh yeah I saw that advert, it does annoy me. I hate the suggestion that curl hair can "only" be frizzy.
Because of that I refuse to ever use John Frieda products and any other company that bashes curly hair. Long live Aussie and their magic curly hair serum!

As I said earlier, John Frieda has a "Dream Curls" range which is designed to enhance curly hair.
I don't use their products, but it's not right to say the company is against curly hair, it's just that the particular ad that started this thread (I still haven't seen it, so I'm going by what I've read) is for a product aimed at people who want to wear their hair straight.

They also do the Frizz Ease range. Some people DO get "frizzy" hair whether it's curly or just not poker straight.
I just don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to change the texture of your hair if the technology is available, any more than I think all hair dyes should be banned, and everyone should be condemned to their natural blonde/brown/red or whatever they dislike.

LOL, it sounds like I'm a huge JF fan, which isn't the case, although i have used some of their products in the past. I do think this is being taken out of proportion though, and it could just as easily have been an ad for their curly range that was being shown on TV.

Suze2012
September 9th, 2012, 07:22 AM
You know, I hadn't considered that. I have very flyaway hair, too, and have been globbing unhealthy amounts of gel into it to try to "fix" it. It looks frizz-free that way, but I can't touch it because it's sticky and matted and feels gross. I had never considered that maybe, like yours, it's "cherubic." SO always says he likes my hair when to me, it's "frizzy," but maybe he's not just saying that to make me feel better... :hmm: You've opened my eyes. Hair, whether curly, wavy, or straight, doesn't have to be sleek to be beautiful and healthy. :flower:

:)

Hair that is touchable and healthy looking is more attractive.

My ex loved my messy locks.
He didn't like it straight, sleek or gunked up.

I like to tame 'some' of my frizz but I also wouldn't want to be without some of it as my hair wouldn't look or feel natural without it.

I know how to have sleek curls..have achieved that..I like mine with some life of it's own though. :)

EtherealDoll
September 9th, 2012, 07:34 AM
It seems like this advertisement was directed at frizzy hair. And you can have frizz even if you have only slightly wavy hair. They didn't say 'curly=bad', they said 'frizzy=bad', and that's actually the view that many people on LHC seem to have.

The only reason it bugs me is that people are happy to tell you you should be doing this that or the other.with it to make it 'better' which usually equates to straighter or straight.

People with straight hair are very often told their hair is limp and needs more volume and curl. So 'better' is usually considered not 'straighter' or 'curlier' but simply 'the one that's different from what you have'. :(

duchesswannabe
September 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM

The current campaigns to get everyone to have sleek hair are just as bad as the pressure was to have curly hair in the 80s. Turn it off, folks. These ads are like a stomach ache for the brain.

HylianGirl
September 9th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I have not seen this ad (I'm from Brazil, I didn't even know about this line of products xD) I tried searching on youtube and found a cople of JF ads, but the one the OP was refering to. With that out of the way...

I totally agree with CurlyCurves, I have been made to think my hair was rebelious, unmanageable and bad my whole life, not only because of the pressure to have completelly straight hair, but also because when I saw an ad for curly hair, it looked like this:

http://nadafragil.com.br/wp-content/gallery/fotos-cachos/32612_giselebundchenjpg.jpg

Which is definatelly not how natural curls look... I know better now ^-^ but it can really impact one's self steem, specially if you live among straight haired people that don't understand you.

There are many poeple that feel awful about the way they are because of ads like this and pressure from society, many people here on LHC have been able to win this battle and learn not to care, but most people out there feel like they are crap and not presentable enough, I have seen cases of people whose bosses told them to straighten their hair so they'd start looking professional, and not like a hippie with messy hair.

HylianGirl
September 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Hey again! I found this image, and I thought it was fitting

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uxwdMg6-tEM/T6w3PJjXcrI/AAAAAAAACBs/oOHOyk5LCJ8/s640/cachos2.jpg

Though I also would like to add, just like it has been told here before, that all the hair is beautiful, it's all about how you take care of it, and for many years, having straight hair was considered bad and people would perm their hair like crazy, which is also a bad message to pass, in the end of the day, there isn't one specific hair type that is beautiful, and that one only, they all are, and people should not be made feel bad because of that.

Mayflower
September 9th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Because many of us with curly hair feel discriminated against as a result of it (plenty of women are told to straighten their hair because curly isn't 'professional' enough), and that kind of pervasive attitude contributes to insecurities.

At least, that's this curly's take. :) TBH I feel the same way about weight-loss commercials, especially when the "before" picture looks perfectly healthy, and the "after" is airbrushed and too-thin. Urgh. Some of us are curvy and meant to be.

I wouldn't mind if I wanted it that way or asked for advice or comments on my hair - but I never do either.

The ad campaign just backs up what people are saying.

There's two curlies in my team at work..me and one other.
She got ranted at a few months ago for saying she never brushes her hair. She went very quiet and looked at me. She is quite shy and personal comments really get to her.
The look she gave me was 'help!' so I did and proudly backed her up and said I never even comb mine - the attention all then went on to me and I got the hassle! Lol!
She gave me another 'look' and a smile - later that day she thanked me for stepping in.

There are many poeple that feel awful about the way they are because of ads like this and pressure from society, many people here on LHC have been able to win this battle and learn not to care, but most people out there feel like they are crap and not presentable enough, I have seen cases of people whose bosses told them to straighten their hair so they'd start looking professional, and not like a hippie with messy hair.

Yeah but... people with straight hair are told to buy this or that volumising product for their "limp lifeless hair" (as EtherealDoll said). Short hair needs extensions, long hair needs to be cut, fat people are too fat, skinny people are too skinny etc. etc. etc. See where I'm going?

If you care about what ads/other people say, you'll be feeling crap your whole life about how you look. I honestly don't know anybody around me who cares about advertisement so it seems strange to me that people really put value on that. And CurlyCurves seems to be very sensitive about what other people (apparently) think about curly hair (judging by previous threads) but I don't know what kind of answer she's looking for. Maybe none, as she's just ranting -but it's healthier to stop looking for/caring about negativity than to rant. :shrug:

Milui Elenath
September 9th, 2012, 09:48 PM
SNIP
I honestly don't know anybody around me who cares about advertisement so it seems strange to me that people really put value on that. SNIP

They may not put a value on it but they still take it in. Advertising is subversive and people take in messages often unaware and believe these things as facts. If you are exposed to a continuous message eventually you will start to believe it, (especially if you have no knowledge on the subject or experience) or at the very least you will start to question if you are wrong to believe the opposite of the message.

Even if you don't take on board the message the bigger problem however is that the society around you probably will have believed it and that is which leads to bullying and peer pressure.

It's not so simple as just not allowing others to tell you how to feel because ads reach so many. Then it becomes about fighting an entire society that is telling you that you aren't suitable.

I also find it a bit horrifying to truly believe that people are not ever offended by television adds - seriously? There are so many terrible stereotypings of men, women, nationalities, religions, rich, poor. Very few of them are true when you meet people of those communities. Why listen to lies? Why allow them to fuel our society? Let's be outraged when it tells our community something we don't wish to perpetuate in society!!! And don't buy their product either ;)

But my advice to all is to turn the television off. You'll never regret it and you will be happier. Though the society around you may feel a certain way at least you don't have to hear about it in your own home!

riceball
September 9th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Hardly a surprise here. Everyone knows that advertising creates insecurities (where there had been none previously), or plays on existing ones in order to sell a product. Yeah, these ads are offensive but realize that they're just trying to make you feel insecure. You don't HAVE to take any offense.

Example: there was once an ad for a Gillette or Secret product that was supposed to me a skin softener for women's armpits. Like, what?? I'm supposed to feel bad about my scaly, bumpy, dry armpits? You've got to be kidding me.

My point is, our mainstream culture may not necessarily shun curly hair or scaly armpits but these ads will try to make you think that it does. I could care less if some weight loss company shows a person of my weight as their "before" model. Personally, they're not worth my energy or thought.

I know all this is obvious but I'm just saying these ads are part of how advertising can exist in the first place. It's capitalism, nothing is preventing ad companies from making "offensive" ads. I'd take them over censorship.

Mayflower
September 10th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I also find it a bit horrifying to truly believe that people are not ever offended by television adds - seriously? There are so many terrible stereotypings of men, women, nationalities, religions, rich, poor. Very few of them are true when you meet people of those communities. Why listen to lies? Why allow them to fuel our society? Let's be outraged when it tells our community something we don't wish to perpetuate in society!!! And don't buy their product either ;)

But my advice to all is to turn the television off. You'll never regret it and you will be happier. Though the society around you may feel a certain way at least you don't have to hear about it in your own home!

I'm never offended by television ads no. :p Here we just laugh at them because they are silly/annoying/unbelievable. Everybody knows they're a bunch of BS, right?? So why would you be offended by them? The creators of these ads don't know how you look so why take it personally?

I have to admit, when I was younger (13-17 or so), I was very influenced by the ads in magazines etc. I was always wishing to buy something because it would make my pimples go away (:laugh: ) or it would make my hair shiny or my lashes more defined. But I've seen most people around me grow out of it and so did I. There is still a lot of criticism and advertisement around me, yes, and people who are still influenced by the ads comment about certain things they don't like about my appearance -but I let it fall off my shoulders. They don't mean anything to me, so why would their criticism?

Well, I guess deep down we're all brainwashed to a certain extend of what to find beautiful and desirable (clear skin, healthy hair, slim) but ads just take it too far and so I won't take it in. Granted, I stopped watching television a while ago.

Basically, I'm with riceball.

jessicac1
September 10th, 2012, 06:20 AM
advertising can have a huge effect on younger people and children, all these overly photoshopped female models make teenage and preteen girls (and boys!) think they need to conform to a certain look. Nobody can have skin like these makeup ads because its not real! or hair like some of the hair dye ads because its usually extensions and video editing.
Embrace being an individual :) Curly straight red blonde whatever variety is the spice of life :)
And I agree, if you want good hair, no magic serum will repair the damage left by heat!

CurlyCurves
September 10th, 2012, 07:19 AM

Why do you mean, why do I care? :confused:

For a start, we're all individuals here. You may be able to brush off an offensive ad, but I don't. Even if it didn't affect me, it still affects someone else.

Secondly, I think it's a bit obvious. I have curly hair. I am sick of it being put down. I saw an ad that was negative towards curly hair.

As I said earlier, John Frieda has a "Dream Curls" range which is designed to enhance curly hair.
I don't use their products, but it's not right to say the company is against curly hair, it's just that the particular ad that started this thread (I still haven't seen it, so I'm going by what I've read) is for a product aimed at people who want to wear their hair straight.

They also do the Frizz Ease range. Some people DO get "frizzy" hair whether it's curly or just not poker straight.
I just don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to change the texture of your hair if the technology is available, any more than I think all hair dyes should be banned, and everyone should be condemned to their natural blonde/brown/red or whatever they dislike.

LOL, it sounds like I'm a huge JF fan, which isn't the case, although i have used some of their products in the past. I do think this is being taken out of proportion though, and it could just as easily have been an ad for their curly range that was being shown on TV.

Whether or not their company makes serums for curly hair, it doesn't excuse their rudeness, IMHO. If the product being advertised is to keep people's hair straight, fair enough, but they can advertise that without offending the rest of us.

I would be equally offended if this advert attacked any other hair type.

It seems like this advertisement was directed at frizzy hair. And you can have frizz even if you have only slightly wavy hair. They didn't say 'curly=bad', they said 'frizzy=bad', and that's actually the view that many people on LHC seem to have.

People with straight hair are very often told their hair is limp and needs more volume and curl. So 'better' is usually considered not 'straighter' or 'curlier' but simply 'the one that's different from what you have'. :(

The message sent out was that curly hair is bad, at least, that's how it sounded to me.

[Snip]And CurlyCurves seems to be very sensitive about what other people (apparently) think about curly hair (judging by previous threads) but I don't know what kind of answer she's looking for. Maybe none, as she's just ranting -but it's healthier to stop looking for/caring about negativity than to rant. :shrug:[Snip]

It's rather rude to talk about me, instead of talking to me directly.

I have only posted one other thread pertaining to societies view of curly hair. I'm not looking for any answer. It is perfectly okay to rant.

FYI, not looking for negativity. Doesn't mean I'll ignore it when I find it, though.

If you have a problem with my threads, I suggest you avoid them. I don't see how your attitude helps in the slightest. You're not me, so you can't tell me how to feel.

Suze2012
September 10th, 2012, 07:44 AM
The wording in the advert (which I can't find on the net anywhere) said:

'What do you do with curly. frzzy hair? Get rid of it!'

I'm going to start looking out for adverts asking what you do with straight hair.

I had another random comment from a stranger this weekend which went like this:

Lady: Hey, your hair is lovely! Where do you get it permed?
Me: I don't get it permed, it's naturally curly. :0)
Lady: Oh what a shame! You should get some ghd's so you can straighten it.

Er...I gave up the power of speech at that point in time....

Maybe it's just me but I only ever say nice things about people's hair I wouldn't dream of suggesting they change it unless they were actually asking for help.

CurlyCurves
September 10th, 2012, 09:05 AM
The wording in the advert (which I can't find on the net anywhere) said:

'What do you do with curly. frzzy hair? Get rid of it!'

I'm going to start looking out for adverts asking what you do with straight hair.

I had another random comment from a stranger this weekend which went like this:

Lady: Hey, your hair is lovely! Where do you get it permed?
Me: I don't get it permed, it's naturally curly. :0)
Lady: Oh what a shame! You should get some ghd's so you can straighten it.

Er...I gave up the power of speech at that point in time....

Maybe it's just me but I only ever say nice things about people's hair I wouldn't dream of suggesting they change it unless they were actually asking for help.

Yeah, I was looking for the advert too. I was gonna link it in the OP. But I could only find it on this ad site which requires payment to watch :/

Gosh, the gall of some people!

Mayflower
September 10th, 2012, 12:37 PM
It's rather rude to talk about me, instead of talking to me directly.

I have only posted one other thread pertaining to societies view of curly hair. I'm not looking for any answer. It is perfectly okay to rant.

FYI, not looking for negativity. Doesn't mean I'll ignore it when I find it, though.

If you have a problem with my threads, I suggest you avoid them. I don't see how your attitude helps in the slightest. You're not me, so you can't tell me how to feel.

It was well meant advice though. By getting all offended by ads, you're only harming yourself; the creators of those ads don't care (if anything they'd be pleased since that means one more person is influenced by their BS).

You're right, I can't tell you how you (should) feel, but I can tell you that it's easier and healthier to let it slide off your shoulders. Ads don't have any meaning unless you let them. :shrug:

CurlyCurves
September 10th, 2012, 01:16 PM
It was well meant advice though. By getting all offended by ads, you're only harming yourself; the creators of those ads don't care (if anything they'd be pleased since that means one more person is influenced by their BS).

You're right, I can't tell you how you (should) feel, but I can tell you that it's easier and healthier to let it slide off your shoulders. Ads don't have any meaning unless you let them. :shrug:

Harming myself how? No, I'm not. I'm allowed to rant. Ranting doesn't mean I'm devestated or gravely affected. I am merely annoyed, and that is a normal emotion.

Things don't just slide off my shoulders, that's not me. Everyone is different.

Unofficial_Rose
September 10th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Sooner or later people will wise up to the fact that there are much better products available than JF, especially online.

In the meantime, it's difficult not to be affected by this mainstream haircare cr*p, seeing as most people are so conservative in their views on how people should present themselves. I have 2a hair and I blow-dried my hair straight for years. Stopped bothering a while back though, and it's very liberating. It's not as if it even stayed straight for more than a day.

If you have curly hair it's so damaging to straighten it all the time.

feb26
September 10th, 2012, 04:15 PM
ads like this are why i love my pvr: i just skip em as i'm prone to migraines (noise/light is too much for my head). this would massively tick me off if i saw it though as for yrs i thought I had straight hair & was brushing the natural wave out. Now i love the wave & do everything i can to encourage it.:p

mzBANGBANG
September 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM
BRAVO on the rant! I found an advert in a magazine once (wish I could scan it) that had four pics of the same girl with different "hair types." The first one was her natural, wavy-almost-curly hair and it looked GORGEOUS. The ad was promoting products for the other 3 pictures, though! What spray to use for straightening, what to use for curling, and what to use for waves. I couldn't believe it! Her natural state was so angelic, and the other stuff just looked so... fake.

I would give anything for drastically curly hair. Why so much media negativity? Same with pale skin verses tan... the media will push anything that require us spending more cash.

Amygirl8
September 10th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Just went to find the ad on Youtube.
I AM SO JELLY OF THAT CURLY HAIR.

Seriously. I experiment so much to try to get my hair in a natural, curly poof like that (::)) and I just love curls.
Meanwhile, the second looks bleh.
It looks like freaking plastic. I mean, shiny hair is attractive, but no one needs "ohmigod I'm gonna go blind ahhhh" shiny hair.

I'm ranting too now, eh? Haha. I'm still fairly young and I'm at the primary age to be targeted to insanity by these ads, but I've always been a weird kid, and didn't let it affect me.
Although I face an unfortunate amount of peer pressure to straighten my hair at school. OH! Remind to get a short, stick-straight wig to wear for April fools day! I'll wear it the day before and April fools and then take it off during lunch lol.

Where was I? I have a short attention span. Oh right, ranting.
My ex-friend has always tried to convince me, and because I'm hyper and maybe hoping to get a laugh out of some of you members, I'll copy down one conversation we had on facebook about it:

Me: Quick hair decision time: waves or curls?
Her: How about.. A flat iron!
Her: Mah bestfrann ♥
Me: ‎*Ahem* No heat
Her: Has direct heat ever come in contact with your hair.. like... srysly.
Me: direct heat? no. I use a blow dryer on my mom's insistence, and even then I refuse to do it for longer than 2 minutes on anything besides the lowest setting
Her: And how the hell do you have so many split ends again?
Me: yearly trims
Me: from really bad hairdressers
Me: which is why I insist on yearly
Her: I can tellllll... (: LFAO EKBDFYUBLSJ ♥
Me: a deepened mistrust of hairdressers (my mom's fault)
Me: I'm contemplating trimming off the split ends myself, I'd probably do a better job
Me: YOU STILL HAVEN'T ANSWERED MY QUESTION
Her: OHOHOH right. Straight.
Me: THAT IS NOT AN OPTION
Me: ‎[] waves
[] curls
Her: ‎[ ] flat ironed hair.
Me: Gross. It even sounds gross. Ironed hair? YEESH
Her: ‎... but it looks amazing.
Me: not in my world...
Her: ‎-_-
Me: Can you imagine me with flat ironed hair?
Her: ummm...
Her: Yea.
Me: My hair would go past my hip...
Her: good.
Me: *facepalm*
Me: WE HAVE GYM TOMORROW
Her: mhm
Me: Not to mention, straightening is bad for your hair.
Me: I don't need more split ends, thank you.
Her: Oh wells. Id rather have burned and straight hair then splitendy uggz hurr.
Her: js.
Me: no worries. keep ironing it 24/7 and your hair will have more problems than just split ends
*random friend interrupts to say she found my last comment funny)
Me: /link to site about why heat is bad for hair/

That's the end, haha.
So yeah. That's my story. :D

ArienEllariel
September 10th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Just went to find the ad on Youtube.
I AM SO JELLY OF THAT CURLY HAIR.

Seriously. I experiment so much to try to get my hair in a natural, curly poof like that (::)) and I just love curls.
Meanwhile, the second looks bleh.
It looks like freaking plastic. I mean, shiny hair is attractive, but no one needs "ohmigod I'm gonna go blind ahhhh" shiny hair.

I'm ranting too now, eh? Haha. I'm still fairly young and I'm at the primary age to be targeted to insanity by these ads, but I've always been a weird kid, and didn't let it affect me.
Although I face an unfortunate amount of peer pressure to straighten my hair at school. OH! Remind to get a short, stick-straight wig to wear for April fools day! I'll wear it the day before and April fools and then take it off during lunch lol.

Where was I? I have a short attention span. Oh right, ranting.
My ex-friend has always tried to convince me, and because I'm hyper and maybe hoping to get a laugh out of some of you members, I'll copy down one conversation we had on facebook about it:

Me: Quick hair decision time: waves or curls?
Her: How about.. A flat iron!
Her: Mah bestfrann ♥
Me: ‎*Ahem* No heat
Her: Has direct heat ever come in contact with your hair.. like... srysly.
Me: direct heat? no. I use a blow dryer on my mom's insistence, and even then I refuse to do it for longer than 2 minutes on anything besides the lowest setting
Her: And how the hell do you have so many split ends again?
Me: yearly trims
Me: from really bad hairdressers
Me: which is why I insist on yearly
Her: I can tellllll... (: LFAO EKBDFYUBLSJ ♥
Me: a deepened mistrust of hairdressers (my mom's fault)
Me: I'm contemplating trimming off the split ends myself, I'd probably do a better job
Me: YOU STILL HAVEN'T ANSWERED MY QUESTION
Her: OHOHOH right. Straight.
Me: THAT IS NOT AN OPTION
Me: ‎[] waves
[] curls
Her: ‎[ ] flat ironed hair.
Me: Gross. It even sounds gross. Ironed hair? YEESH
Her: ‎... but it looks amazing.
Me: not in my world...
Her: ‎-_-
Me: Can you imagine me with flat ironed hair?
Her: ummm...
Her: Yea.
Me: My hair would go past my hip...
Her: good.
Me: *facepalm*
Me: WE HAVE GYM TOMORROW
Her: mhm
Me: Not to mention, straightening is bad for your hair.
Me: I don't need more split ends, thank you.
Her: Oh wells. Id rather have burned and straight hair then splitendy uggz hurr.
Her: js.
Me: no worries. keep ironing it 24/7 and your hair will have more problems than just split ends
*random friend interrupts to say she found my last comment funny)
Me: /link to site about why heat is bad for hair/

That's the end, haha.
So yeah. That's my story. :D

I hear you... all the girls/young ladies at church flat iron their hair.. sometimes they flat iron it, THEN curl it. I don't get it...

HylianGirl
September 10th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I hear you... all the girls/young ladies at church flat iron their hair.. sometimes they flat iron it, THEN curl it. I don't get it...

I once talked to a friend of mine about ways to enhance curls, and one of the things she told me to do was blowdry my hair straight and then try and curl it. What? I have also seen people flat iron and then use the curling iron on top to create curls x.x

spirals
September 10th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Hey again! I found this image, and I thought it was fitting

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uxwdMg6-tEM/T6w3PJjXcrI/AAAAAAAACBs/oOHOyk5LCJ8/s640/cachos2.jpg I've always wanted curls like this. But I really like mine, too. And I don't care what JF thinks of it.

Maverick494
September 13th, 2012, 01:46 PM
My dad used to work in marketing. When I was a kid, I asked him about it
---------------------
Me: "Dad, how do you sell the products? How do you even find the people that need them?"
Dad: "No-one needs them. I just go there and create the problem, then offer the solution, which is of course the product."
---------------------

This, I think is what it's all about. I mean, look at all the problems and solutions created for us:

- Women have short hair? Let's create extensions and tell them they need long hair to look feminine.
- Women have long hair? Cut it and then maintain it every 6 weeks weeks, so it doesn't look icky and out of fashion.
- You have straight hair? You need to buy our volumizing products and curling irons to give it life.
- Curly hair? You need straight hair to look pretty and professional, which can be achieved by buying our straighteners, and chemical relaxers.
- You have grey hair? Dye it.
- Got brown hair? Blondes have more fun.
- Got blonde hair? Brunettes are more mysterious and classy.
- Guys got the silvery look going on? You look old, get just for men and be unnatural pitch black like you were 20 years ago.
- Got stubble? Shave it so you can look like a teen real man.
- You're pale? Get bronzer so you can look like a brazilian goddess Adriana Lima
- Tan? Twilight is still "in" season so get your vampire on by using asian BB cream

And the list goes on...

The only things that make an impact on me are things that I like. So when I for example see the Gliss Kur commercial with the girl with glossy, wavy/curly hair, I get tempted to buy that stuff. I see a maybelline commercial with Adriana Lima looking like a flawless angel, yeah I get tempted to try out that new foundation. I see Lord of The rings and I get this insane urge to buy elven circlets and torture my arms making fishtail braids. Oh and I became a Liv Tyler fan for life. Marketing works on everyone, even when it's not intended. But it's usually only the stuff you want to see.

Since we live in a world where money is THE main motivator, it's not strange. I'm not too bothered by it.

Oh and to counteract the impact of the JF commercial, here's the Gliss Kur one I was talking about :D

http://www.sostav.ru/articles/rus/2004/columns/brand/images/Glisskur3.jpg

GrowingOut
September 13th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I think curly hair, when taken care of, is GORGEOUS!

Look at those perfect little ringlet's you have!

CurlyCurves
September 13th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I think curly hair, when taken care of, is GORGEOUS!

Look at those perfect little ringlet's you have!

Thank you so much :love:

melusine963
September 14th, 2012, 03:32 PM
This, I think is what it's all about. I mean, look at all the problems and solutions created for us:

- Women have short hair? Let's create extensions and tell them they need long hair to look feminine.
- Women have long hair? Cut it and then maintain it every 6 weeks weeks, so it doesn't look icky and out of fashion.
- You have straight hair? You need to buy our volumizing products and curling irons to give it life.
- Curly hair? You need straight hair to look pretty and professional, which can be achieved by buying our straighteners, and chemical relaxers.
- You have grey hair? Dye it.
- Got brown hair? Blondes have more fun.
- Got blonde hair? Brunettes are more mysterious and classy.
- Guys got the silvery look going on? You look old, get just for men and be unnatural pitch black like you were 20 years ago.
- Got stubble? Shave it so you can look like a teen real man.
- You're pale? Get bronzer so you can look like a brazilian goddess Adriana Lima
- Tan? Twilight is still "in" season so get your vampire on by using asian BB cream

I love your examples! This is exactly what people seem to think.