PDA

View Full Version : "Split hair"

Asma
September 7th, 2012, 12:09 PM
So you would expect most people to have split ends but my hair has been really annoying and I have split hairs starting from my collarbone till the end of my hair (I have classic length hair). I'm guessing it's mechanical damage but what from? And how do I prevent this from happening? :confused:

Madora
September 7th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Are you tying/clipping/twisting your hair at that particular place?

Asma
September 7th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I do twist it when I put it in a bun but I don't see how that could cause damage?

Anje
September 7th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Some of it can simply be wear and tear on the hair as it gets older. Particularly if your hair is fine or somehow fragile, whether naturally or because of chemical treatments.

Start with the basics: What does your wide-tooth comb look like? Does it have rough or sharp seams that might be shredding your hair? Switching to a smooth wood, horn, or bakelite comb that has had the teeth cut out and sanded smooth will help with that.

When you comb and encounter a knot, do you push through it, or do you pick it apart with your fingers? If you're snapping hairs when you comb, those will become split ends.

Do you, or have you in the past, subjected your hair to bleach, peroxide-containing dyes, relaxers, perms, etc.?

Do you usually wear your hair in a contained fashion so that it doesn't experience day-to-day friction from the environment that wears it out quicker and encourages knots which lead to damage?

If you comb your hair when it's wet, are you extremely careful not to break hairs? Hair breaks much more readily when wet, unfortunately for those who want to preserve wave and curl patterns by not combing dry. Be careful, and if possible, comb when you've got plenty of conditioner in your hair.

How do you wear your hair at night? I'd recommend either bunning and sleeping on a silk or satin pillowcase, or wearing your hair inside a silky sleep bonnet, to limit friction and tangles.

Madora
September 7th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I do twist it when I put it in a bun but I don't see how that could cause damage?

If you twist it in a bun everyday, the hair will eventually break (you are applying torque to a certain place every day and over time the hair grows thinner and breaks).

If you are using ponytails, they could be the source of your problem.

Asma
September 7th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Thank you both.