PDA

View Full Version : Is virgin hair important to you?

Lauram
September 7th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I'm torn. I just did a henna gloss, and it came out perfect, just warmed my medium/ dark brown hair to a chocolatey color. Nothing hard to grow out. But I'm feeling like when my hair gets long, I'd really like to have it all natural. No other colors. Let my dozen or so greys just be.

I'd love the chocolate covered cherry look with henna, the shine, the strength. But I'd also love to have my hair all my own color. I know henna isn't something to be taken lightly and I've heard the gloss may wash away if it's the first time. Or fade a bit. So it's now or never and I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I don't want to deal with roots but I would love to have that pretty color. This might be one of those things that I'd wish I'd done but never did. But I'd rather have all my own color I think, and use cassia as needed to shine it up.

What about you! Is this something you struggle with? Wanting a change but...not?

FrozenBritannia
September 7th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I used to dye my hair a different colour every month, but after various happenings I let it grow in natural and don't have any real intention of colouring it again. There is a bit of dye residue on the ends still but it will get trimmed off eventually.

I still get the urge to do something different with my hair though, the dye colours are tempting. :)

Iolanthe13
September 7th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Ha, well for me the change would be virgin hair. I'm really happy with my henna colour and the effect it's had on my hair, though. I think my thoughts of virgin hair are more curiosity than anything - I've been some sort of redhead for nearly four years now, and I wonder sometimes what it would be like to be blonette again. Someday, virgin hair will be my goal...

browneyedsusan
September 7th, 2012, 09:16 AM
It used to be, but not anymore! I'm loving my henna, and may someday dilute it with more cassia to embrace my grays, but I'm just not ready for the possum head look yet.

I love the salt and pepper on other people,--or salt!-- I just don't like it on me.

Madora
September 7th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Yes, virgin hair is important to me. Why? Because I love the natural shine and softness and the way it feels.

If you wish to change your color, go for it...but be wary and use something that will not change your original color or harm your hair.

afu
September 7th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I highlight my hair and i don't miss having totally virgin hair, the only thing i regret is not doing it properly from the start. When i started the bleach highlights i had them done just like any other 'normal' person and my hair got very dry and weak, now i apply coconut oil before i bleach and the hair which has been done after starting this feels like virgin hair it has been so protected. For me the condition of my hair is most important now, so if i can have it the colou i want and also have it in good condition then thats perfect to me

Amber_Maiden
September 7th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I loved dying my hair. It felt like a new pampered me every time I did it. Virgin hair isn't important to me at all. I henna now.

rowie
September 7th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I can never give up henna. To me I love to have a pampering ritual once in awhile, because a happy me means a happy healthy hair. Do what makes you happy, and that is all that matters. :)

DancingQueen
September 7th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Virgin hair is not important to me. As long as it is healthy and I like it, that is fine. That said, I really like my own color and type, so I think I will keep it virgin. :)

LoveAngelBeauty
September 7th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Virgin hair is not important to me. As long as it is healthy and I like it, that is fine. That said, I really like my own color and type, so I think I will keep it virgin. :)

This.

Virgin hair isn't that important to me either. When it comes to coloring, anyway. When I think of virgin hair (natural hair), I think of hair that has not had its texture changed. I wouldn't hesitate to change my hair color, if that's what I wanted and I might even do something to change my texture in the future, but I really don't put a lot of emphasis on my hair being virgin or whatever anymore. It's more important that I am happy with my hair. And my virgin hair is time consuming...

henné
September 7th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Gah, I'm still undecided whether I should grow all of the henna out and go full-on virgin (which won't happen for like 10 years anyway :D) or if I should just continue hennaing but with more added cassia so that the color is not that rich and dark. I like my original hair color - it suits me better - but I love how healthy, shiny and thick my hair is while hennaed.

Wiggy Stardust
September 7th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Eh I find the whole "virgin" hair thing a myth. Virgin from what? The sun? That bleaches it. Salt water? Commercial products like Sun-In, Manic Panic or permanent dye? Natural products like henna and indigo?

The stuff that grows out of my head will never look like the stuff on the bottom, even if I never dye it. I don't understand why I'd value the color of something. I mean, I understand in terms of damage, but most of us know how to prevent that damage. I don't care how much microscopic damage happens, if my dyed hair looks like my natural hair in terms of smoothness, shine, strength etc. then there's no difference to me.

Furthermore it raises the question of veggie dye or henna affecting virginity. Both are non-damaging, yet one is impermanent whereas the other is permanent. If I consistently used veggie dyes (where I never let my hair fade back to "virgin") but the opportunity to fade back existed, is my hair dyed or virgin?

HylianGirl
September 7th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Healthy hair is the most important to me =)

Right now I love my virgin hair, this is when my hair is the most healthy, and I like the fact that I can accept it the way it is (I spent half of my life denying it). But if you feel like changing it, go ahead, your hair is there for you to enjoy, just make sure to keep it healthy so you won't hate it afterwards =)

vanillabones
September 7th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Virgin hair IS important to me. I have dyed my hair so long I just want it to be 100% mine again, if I felt differently henna may tempt me some day.. but I doubt I'd do it. I have some bleach left on the ends still being trimmed out and I'm almost done. I love bun waves and any waves and curls but I like wearing my hair the way it comes out of my head often too, just because it is that way! *shrug* I'm no where in love with my color but I plan on keeping it.

Salmonberry
September 7th, 2012, 10:15 AM
The most important thing to me is not having a line that shows a change in color. I had never done anything to alter the color of my hair before finding this forum and reading about Henna. Since then I've done several henna glosses on my golden blonde hair.

Fortunately for me, they fade out in about 2 weeks. No line of demarcation or anything. And I feel good because even though it's color, it's still "natural" and really more of an enhancement of my natural color than anything.

I would never want to go full on Red or anything though. Too drastic, and I'd have to do a bunch of upkeep to keep the roots the same color. my desire to stay as natural as possible is really just because I'm low maintenance.

holothuroidea
September 7th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Not dying my hair is important to me. I'm on a journey of self-acceptance, and accepting my hair without intentional alterations is part of that.

Yes the sun does bleach my hair but that's just from having hair and being outside. I don't think that counts.

Vrindi
September 7th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I had virgin hair for a long time. I loved it, and it was healthy and beautiful. I refused to dye my hair mostly because I was nagged to bleach it or put in highlights (my hair has truly incredible natural blond streaks already) and keeping it natural was the most effective form of rebellion when everyone was demanding I change. Last year I lightened my hair a lot, because I wanted to go lighter. The only regret I had about not having "virgin" hair anymore is that my hair was quite damaged and fragile after, and the color turned brassy right away, so I had to dye over it again. Now I have a bit of an ombre effect going on, and since I started lightening my roots with honey, the color line has softened and faded. I'm loving the color again. I'm going to keep lightening it.

If dying your hair makes you happy, and you can keep it healthy, then who cares if it's virgin or not? Does having un-virgin hair make it somehow not your hair?

I went to school with a girl who had beautiful extensions. Our chorus teacher was picking on her, saying it wasn't her hair. Her response was, "I bought it, it's my hair!" Brilliant.

So, if you buy your color from a box, it's still yours — really yours — unless you stole it. Do what you like. :)

sharonluvscats
September 7th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Having virgin hair is important to me. So many blonette people go and dye their hair because it is "ugly" and "boring." I've decided to accept and enjoy mine. Also, I spent many years dying and altering my hairstyles to please my ex-bf. Now that I'm with someone who loves me for who I am, I'm going to do what I want with my hair. This means growing out my dye and layers.

sharonluvscats
September 7th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Not dying my hair is important to me. I'm on a journey of self-acceptance, and accepting my hair without intentional alterations is part of that.

Yes the sun does bleach my hair but that's just from having hair and being outside. I don't think that counts.

I feel the same way. I want to accept my hair color for what it is. I don't count the sun highlights either. That's a natural thing to happen when you're outside and have dirty blonde hair.

jacqueline101
September 7th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Virgin hair isn't important to me I like to do the temporary colors. I gave up the harsh permanate dyes and chemicals.

Someday
September 7th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I would love to have virgin hair again (I have been growing out highlights/lowlights since January). I will get more grey, and I hope I am okay with that as it happens -- my hair can't handle the chemicals. Maybe if some ultra-gentle dye is invented, I will try that someday -- never say never!

Vivalagina
September 7th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I bleached highlights into my hair at the beginning of the year because I thought my hair color was boring. Now it's grown out and my dark blonde hair looks dirty (to me) all the time because I have a couple inches of virgin roots. I'm sure I'm the only once who really notices this, but... meh. I enjoyed the highlights for a few months, but now the low-maintenance voice-in-my-head is whining about how much work it would be to upkeep those impulse highlights. So, time to do different rinses to temp stain my hair a bit darker to blend while they grow out.

I am tempted by henna because red looks great on me, but don't think I'll ever do it because I'm just way, way too lazy to do root touch ups and everything I've read about henna screams "FOREVER AND EVER UNTIL CHOPPED DO YOU PART, AMEN."

So yes, virgin hair is important to me up to a point since it's easiest to just let it be the way it grows out of my head. :)

IvanaGil
September 7th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Yes, keeping my hair virgin is one of my top priorities. Any time I feel the urge to dye, I just remember that I will lose my virgin status, and there's really no going back lol

PinkyCat
September 7th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Nah, not at all. My hair hasn't been virgin since, well, the rest of me was, so I really don't pay that much mind. I'm still clinging to youth with white knuckles anyway (chasing the grays monthly). I know someday I'll have more white than reasonably dyeable - so then I will go from black directly to platinum.

shutterpillar
September 7th, 2012, 12:39 PM
In the past, it didn't used to be. My hair would be a different color each month and it usually stayed no longer than APL. The one time I left it to grow to BSL, I had not colored it for at least a year and it was completely virgin except for the last 5 inches. I was looking back on pictures and at that time it was sooooo smooth and shiny looking, and I wasn't even trying to take care of it! I was still blow drying, straightening, and ripping brushes through my hair.

So, I made a decision that I had had my fun with colors. My hair has been almost every color of the rainbow and then some. I have had streaks and highlights and experimented with Sun In. I have had it cut to pixie length. I have had bobs and shags and layers galore. I decided that it was time to just let it be and do its own thing for once.

So yes, to me, virgin hair is important. I noticed that when I had virgin hair, it was the most shiny and healthy looking, and that is what I am striving for. :)

Syaoransbear
September 7th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Nope, although I'm now starting the long process of growing out the dye and going virgin. It's more for monetary reasons, though.

AineMuirne
September 7th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Yes, very. I've never had my hair dyed or bleached and I've never even used a hair dryer more than twice in a year. The thought of dying scares me because I don't want to ruin my hair or get a bad color. After I have a considerable amount of grey, I might try henna, but it really depends how old I am and how I look with grey hair. I'd rather not dye it!

Mindy
September 7th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Virgin hair is not a top priority. Mostly because of all my grays that I'm not ready to grow out. But also because I feel like my natural color is too boring and doesn't suit my personality. I've been dying it since I was old enough to get my Mom to agree to it. My priority has shifted a bit recently though, I am much more interested in making sure that my hair is healthy and well-cared for.

pink.sara
September 7th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Nope, not important at all.
It's more important to me that I like my self and my image, and changing my hair to suit my mood is part of who I am now, my hair was natural for all of 3-5 months in the past 18 years and I was quickly bored of it!

HairySherry
September 7th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Virgin hair is pretty important to me. I've never dyed my hair. When I was younger my parents wouldn't let me and then it just became something I never wanted to do. Now I take a strange pride in the fact that my hair is 100% virgin. However, I can certainly understand people who like to play around with color. To each their own! :)

auroraclio
September 7th, 2012, 01:09 PM
It's not important to me, but I'm too lazy to dye mine anymore - I haven't in about a year now

Hairwish
September 7th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Not at all.

LadyCelestina
September 7th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Not really,but I think it's necessary for me to grow out my chem dyed-hennaed hair and go natural.If I want long hair,of course.

Boxed dyes are causing me too much damage,henna is too warm for my complexion and henndigo is too much work :D

battles
September 7th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I'm too low maintenance even for regular hair dye. Virgin hair is a nice idea, but I'll probably bleach and then dye the bottom few inches of my hair some interesting color when my henna is gone. That doesn't require roots, and most of my hair will still be virgin. :p

spirals
September 7th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I don't care as long as it's reletively healthy. I refuse to go grey at my age.

missketi
September 7th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I'm growing out my natural colour and I think it suits me the best because I have dark eyebrows so blond,even though it looks good with my complexion isn't so great with them and dark (black) hair is too much for my pale skin. My hair is also damaged from bleaching it too much so....But if someone want to dye it's their business...For me if I want to have long hair I need to have it virgin because I have fine hair that is fed up with chemicals. And red hair doesn't suit me so henna is not an option.

kidari
September 7th, 2012, 02:07 PM
It definitely is something that I want someday, but I've been greying since my early 20s so unfortunately I have to dye my greys monthly. I'm still barely hanging on to my 20s and with the choices that I have, I would rather dye the greys in the most convenient way possible (chemical dyes) than to let it go completely natural. Someday, I will let it grow for years and years without touching it at all and see what color pattern it takes! I stopped refreshing the color on my length and only dying the roots and realized that I have streaks of lighter brown all along my hairline and the hair around my neck and behind my ears.

morrigan*
September 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Not really, i use catnip which adds some golden shine, i would also use henna if i ever wanted red hair or something like manic panic. But i probably won't use chemical dyes again, because it alter structure of hair while henna, cassia, indigo or other deposit only dyes don't.

Shepherdess
September 7th, 2012, 02:14 PM
It is somewhat important to me, although my hair lightens easily in the sun, so I don't think it is possible for me to keep it the original color (which I don't mind anyway since it lightens to a strawberry golden color). So I guess it is just important that my hair stays healthy. I have never used chemicals in my hair, and I never want to anyway. :)

akilina
September 7th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I wish that the idea of virgin hair was more important to me.
Looking back in time and pictures in about....February 2009 I should have just STOPPED dying my hair. I got a really cute texturized short layered cut and when it got cut...a TON of the dark low lights got cut out and my hair was really light and blond. I should have stopped there and grew it out natural.

Now I recently went thru an attempt to get my natural color and it was all just serious fail. I ended up going back to black but I am happier than ever. I have hair dreams of long luscious wicked dark blue black hair :) natural hair is just not going to happen unfortunately.
Two toned level 9 roots and level 2 black length are not an option at all.

vamq
September 7th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I'm currently thinking a lot about this.
The reason I started to use henna in the first place was an accident (thought I was using cassia. Just imagine how hard I screamed when I got out of the shower that particular day). But I started to like the red.

I haven't used henna in 6 months now. I started growing out because I was curious to see my own haircolor again, but also because of finances and not having time to sit with henna on my head every four weeks. I have maybe 10 cm of my own haircolor now. It's not really special. It's not ugly, but I might end up liking the henna-red more.

It's just that I am so afraid that if I continue to use henna, I'll have to grow it out one day...and the longer my hair gets, the more time that will take..shudder:

spidermom
September 7th, 2012, 02:58 PM
That's why I like things like Manic Panic. All the fun, none of the commitment. Of course I guess I can't claim that my hair is virgin now that I occasionally color it. Hmmmmmmmm; doesn't bother me.

RapunzelKat
September 7th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Not very important, for me. ;) Healthy hair is important to me, but not virgin. I don't like the way my natural color looks on me - I find it to be unflattering and to look "dirty" even when it isn't. I LOVE the bright golden blonde I get from Sun-In, and have no plans to go back :D I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5" of virgin roots right now, and I strongly dislike them. :p Since it's only a couple shades up from my natural color, and since I don't do my roots often, I have no discernible damage.

The Sun-In color I have now (like in my sig pic and avatar) is close to the color I had when I was younger. It has only darkened up in the last few years, due to age and less time spent in the sun. So, I think I still see myself as blonde, even though my natural color is darker. :cool:

Another thing I like about my current color: it's close enough to my natural that if I ever decide to quit the Sun-In I'd just need a few highlights to blend it in. :D Plus I could use veggie dyes over it for a fun temporary change.

Interesting thread - I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on this. :)

ravenreed
September 7th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I have been coloring my hair almost non-stop since I was 16. I did take a three year break, a few years back. I wanted to see if I liked my natural color. I waited about long enough for all the dye to grow out, only to discover that I really do hate my natural hair color. So, I anticipate I will be coloring my hair for as long as I am able to lift my arms over my head. As long as my hair isn't damaged, why feel guilty about it?

rtree721
September 7th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Yes virgin hair is important to me because I don't want to worry about watching my roots. I have a weird blondette hair color going on, which I am trying to embrace.

Tota
September 7th, 2012, 03:44 PM

I feel exactly the same for the last three years. It has been quite a journey.

I've been dyeing and bleaching my hair for ten years (from 15 to 25) and at 25 I didn't even remember what my natural colour is anymore.

One thing I really like about having virgin hair is that I don't have to worry about the roots. I like being low maintenance like that :) I have to admit that I'm kind of bored at the moment and was thinking about using a tiny bit of Sun-In but I don't think I'll actually do it.

MinderMutsig
September 7th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Not as a matter of principle. But I like my hair color, my very fine hair doesn't respond well to dyes and bleach, I'm too lazy for the upkeep of things like henna, the novelty of having a different hair color wears off quickly for me and I won't rule out the possibility that I'll grow beyond my present goal of tailbone until I reach terminal so I prefer to keep it virgin at this time.

DayDreamerDani
September 7th, 2012, 03:54 PM
It is very important to me. I started dyeing and bleaching my hair when I was 15. Mostly because my mom suggested it, and that's what she had always done. I grew up feeling that to be pretty I HAD to dye my hair. Everyone else was doing it, so it seemed like the thing to do. I was bleach blonde for most of my teen years. And I did like standing out. But the damage was irreversible. My hair would finally get long and then I would bleach it. Then have to chop it all off because of damage. I know many of us here have gone through this same process over and over. A little over a year ago I made the decision to never dye/bleach my hair again. And I am so happy I did. Trust me, i HATED it at first. I made hair appointments then cancelled, considered henna and everything in between. But I didn't touch it and finally after a year, it's really growing on me. ;) The health of my virgin hair vs. the bleached hair is amazing. If I hadn't found this site I don't think I would have been able to stick to my guns. But my point is yes, virgin hair is important to me. Not only do I love my natural hair growing out, but I feel like I am accepting myself and embracing the real me. I also feel like It makes me unique. I definitely have a lot of pride for my half virgin head of hair lol. Especially since I haven't seen it in over a decade. I love getting compliments on my hair color because I get to say its all mine! :-) and for the ladies who do dye/bleach/henna their hair, I understand that too! I'm not saying virgin hair is better for everyone, but I'm happy to say that it is for me! Great thread OP!

jen5972
September 7th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I was actually thinking about henna vs. virgin hair this morning. I have been getting some more white hairs, and I was wondering what I would do if I got a lot more of them. I think that if my hair started turning white or gray, I would use henna. As long as my hair looked healthy, and I was happy with how it looked, that matters more to me than the virgin hair. I do love the lack of maintenance with virgin hair! I remember years ago when I used to color my hair, and it was a huge pain.

kitcatsmeow
September 7th, 2012, 04:51 PM
It wasn't but as my goals change so do my priorities. Virgin hair is the healthiest and I'm really loving the color as my natural hair grows out. I've been low lighting my length to blend my bleached blonde with my dark blonde natural color and was very adamant that my natural color didn't get any dye on it.

thatcrazychick
September 7th, 2012, 05:05 PM
"Virgin" hair isn't really important to me. I've used semi-perm green dye on my hair before. I'd like henna to enrich my medium-to-dark brown hair, but I'm thinking I'm just too lazy. Plus, my mom's side tends to go straight to platinum white, half of it by age 35-ish, and I've already got several, so I think it'll be fun to watch the change.

CurlyCurves
September 7th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Very important to me, I must admit. There's just something special about having something beautiful that's all yours, truly you, all natural, in a world full of fakery.

I think of my hair as virgin sometimes, but I did henna my hair last year. My hair grows fast and I pretty much BCd this year, before I started growing it out again, so maybe some is virgin, and some is henna. I am not sure.

I have used heat on my hair, so it's not truly virgin, but I'd love to have truly virgin hair.

Anywhere
September 7th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I too want "virgin" hair, but I get so tempted to mix it up and try other colors. I currently want to bleach a lock in the back and dye it blue, but I know the growout is going to suuuuck so hard.

Shepherdess
September 7th, 2012, 05:36 PM
As I said earlier, I have never colored my hair nor used chemicals on it before. But I was wondering, since my hair lightens easily in sunlight and has changed color a little because of that; can it still be considered virgin hair?

RedJen
September 7th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I had virgin hair for most of my 20s and 30s. When my natural red started fading was when I realized the color is more important to me than the virgin status. (Plus, now I can get people off my backs about cutting it off and giving it away.) I did a full henna in 2009 and have done a couple of glosses since then. I love the shine it gives and the slight boost to my natural color.

see_turtle
September 7th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I don't plan on ever dying my hair. I had some highlights once in college and I used sun-in as a teen but have not used anything like that for 8 years...I prefer my natural color. Plan to go grey with dignity and not dye.

Arashi
September 7th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Not at all! I place far more value on truly enjoying my hair than applying some arbitrary status to it. I simply don't enjoy my natural color and I think life is too short to have a love-hate relationship with my hair. And 35 minutes or so once a month applying dye to my roots and allowing it to develop really isn't too much of a hassle for me to maintain a color I love.

elbow chic
September 7th, 2012, 06:04 PM
no, not in and of itself, but I always want something that would look ok with my virgin hair, because I do not have the dedication to grow out waist-length, say, henndigo-black hair, with light blond roots.

Or the gumption to big-chop it off.

I know I don't have the dedication to keep up much of a dye/perm/straightening routine for years on end, either, so that is something I bear in mind when I see something that "whoa that looks really cool"

lapushka
September 7th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I've had my share of dye-gone-wrong more than once. No more. After the last tragedy where my hair was chemically cut and chunks of hair fell out, I stopped having my hair dyed altogether. I'm rather enjoying my natural color, I have to say. :)

Tia2010
September 7th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Virgin hair isn't important to me, healthy hair is.

I'm no way no how ready to be grey yet... so I love veggie dyes! l wont ever go back to harsh chemical dyes, but I wont ever be a virgin chaser either :D

dwell_in_safety
September 7th, 2012, 07:04 PM
It's somewhat important. If I were to dye again, it would be with a non-damaging dye. I'm more concerned with having healthy hair than with keeping my natural color.

Dars
September 7th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Yes it's very important to me. I haven't used towels or heat on my hair in 3 years and hair colour even longer. I am lusting over henna but I want to get married with my natural hair colour.

neko_kawaii
September 7th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I'm too lazy to do anything but virgin hair on myself but I sure appreciate that other people dye their hair so I can admire the pretty colors!

Lostsoule77
September 7th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I've never thought about it really. I had highlights done once, but hated them. I've dyed my hair a few times, but it was always with demi dyes that faded. Well until my last one that refuses to fade. My mom told me not to dye my hair because it was damaging. I just listened to her and am so happy I did.

I'm thinking of using some Manic Panic on my ends. I also have had my hair straightened about once a year for 4-5 years in a row and used a blow dryer a few times in my life.

My hair is virgin down to about APL. I'm loving the way it feels and I'm too lazy to keep up with much else.

Springlets
September 7th, 2012, 09:21 PM
It is for me. I've developed such an appreciation for virgin hair. Almost all virgin hair has a natural ashiness to it (I've even seen it in strawberry blonde hair) that I think is beautiful. I like virgin hair because it has more variability than dyed. And, I don't want to discount anyone's experience, but I really feel that dyed hair can never be as healthy as virgin. And I feel that the women today who don't dye, even though they have a few grays or think their natural color is "boring", are the underdogs in today's society, and I've always cheered the underdog. ;)

It is interesting to see all of these different interpretations of what 'virgin' is. For me, it's just whether you use commercial bleach or dye on your hair. If someone uses all natural products or means on their hair, I think you can still call it virgin. For example, a person who uses henna on their hair may not be able to claim it as their natural color, but can still say their hair is virgin underneath it (as in unbleached, undamaged). Since henna only wraps around the hair shaft, right? For me, a person who commercially dyes their hair and therefore alters the core of the shaft of their hair cannot say the same.

RapunzelKat
September 7th, 2012, 11:01 PM
As I said earlier, I have never colored my hair nor used chemicals on it before. But I was wondering, since my hair lightens easily in sunlight and has changed color a little because of that; can it still be considered virgin hair?

I'm sure yours would still be considered virgin, Shepherdess. :) Sun lightening is a natural process, not like applying chemicals to change your hair color.

GrowingGlory
September 7th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Yes, I want my hair to be well-respected and to make a good marriage someday. Seriously, yes, because my hair is healthiest then.

Natalia
September 7th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Im always a bit torn on this I feel more confident and attractive with dark hair (allergic to conventional dye but was going to try oxides) but i am disabled and cant do the upkeep without help and since im a blonde my roots really contrast and it bugs me to have to rely on someone else. I also dont want to have to go through this grow out twice when i go grey. My family tends to go from a few silvers to a full head quickly and that transition is going ot be a bugger if i dye it dark versus letting it blend into my blonde.

So for the past few years ive been trying to accept my natural color and only tinker with temp stuff like tea rinses. I like it better than i did a few years ago but im still working on it.

ravenreed
September 8th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Depends on the dye. I switched from conventional dyes to demi-permanent a few years ago and my hair is in better shape than it ever has been. I have fewer split ends now than when my hair was 100% virgin.

I consider any attempts to alter color as non-virgin hair. And keep in mind that natural products can still be damaging, such as honey lightening.

I seem to prefer dyed hair. Any time I compliment someone on their hair color, I get sheepish response about how it came out of a box. I think in all the years I have commented on hair, only once was it someone's natural hair color.

It is for me. I've developed such an appreciation for virgin hair. Almost all virgin hair has a natural ashiness to it (I've even seen it in strawberry blonde hair) that I think is beautiful. I like virgin hair because it has more variability than dyed. And, I don't want to discount anyone's experience, but I really feel that dyed hair can never be as healthy as virgin. And I feel that the women today who don't dye, even though they have a few grays or think their natural color is "boring", are the underdogs in today's society, and I've always cheered the underdog. ;)

It is interesting to see all of these different interpretations of what 'virgin' is. For me, it's just whether you use commercial bleach or dye on your hair. If someone uses all natural products or means on their hair, I think you can still call it virgin. For example, a person who uses henna on their hair may not be able to claim it as their natural color, but can still say their hair is virgin underneath it (as in unbleached, undamaged). Since henna only wraps around the hair shaft, right? For me, a person who commercially dyes their hair and therefore alters the core of the shaft of their hair cannot say the same.

kitten1986
September 8th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I am growing my hair out to virgin at BSL, I decided on this journey mostly because my hair was very damaged from dye and heat styling, and to be honest I couldn't remember what my natural colour or texture was.

I still have a small amount of box colour in the ends but I VERY rarely heat style, because I have fallen in love with my natural colour and texture. I also love my sparkly little greys... I kind of wish they would show through more often!

EtherealDoll
September 8th, 2012, 04:47 AM
It's not important to me. I want to be happy with my hair, and if I don't like its colour then I will change it to the one I like.

And, I don't want to discount anyone's experience, but I really feel that dyed hair can never be as healthy as virgin.

It can be even healthier. Depends on how you take care of your hair or not. I've seen lots of people who never died their hair but had a head full of split ends.

Mesmerise
September 8th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Mine won't be virgin until I decide to embrace gray hair (errm give me another 20 years or so?!). However, having healthy chemical free hair IS important, so I choose to henna my hair (and avoid all heat appliances).

However, it's not that it's virgin or hennaed only... it's that it's HEALTHY that counts for me! The only reason I avoid chemical colour is that I believe it is damaging to the hair (cumulatively... I'm sure dyeing once wouldn't pose much of a problem, but given that I'd need to re-dye at least monthly, ultimately I'd have ends that had been dyed something like 60 times!!! Errm and to clarify, I can't be bothered trying to dye roots alone... so when I dye, I dye the lot).

Angel Barchild
September 8th, 2012, 05:39 AM
It's not important to me in the least. The only way I know my hair was light red is because my Mother told me, it's been that long. :D For me it's just hair. All I want is it to look good, feel good, and stay attached to my head until I cut it off. I have zero emotional connection to my hair.

MeowScat
September 8th, 2012, 06:10 AM
It actually is now because I've done the whole dye and bleach thing dozens and dozens of times.

I've seen the damage it does to my wimpy hair over the years. I have learned, many times, that I can't grow really long, good looking, hair if I keep changing the color.

I've been almost every shade of red, blonde and black while insisting I could have it down to my butt AND still have it look healthy.

I've had to cut off 13 - 18 inches every few years because of my drastic color changes. I'd have my hairdresser put my hair in a ponytail and cut it off. Then I'd go home and hold the foot and a half long ponytail up to my ends and be mad at myself.

For me, virgin is thicker and stronger if I want my length to, at least, reach my butt. I love coloring it, but that seems to work much better if my hair is BSL or shorter. I wish it was different for me.

MonaMayfair
September 8th, 2012, 06:15 AM
The only good thing about virgin hair to me would be not having the bother of dyeing it.
I'm growing out henna and using vegetable dyes to cover it as much as possible.
If my scalp wasn't so sensitive which makes me wary of permanent dyes, I'd totally be using those.

Anyway, changing your hair color is FUN, even when my hair was virgin, I used to use temporary and semis all the time to change it up.

gillybeanxo3921
September 8th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Virgin hair is not important to me.

As long as my hair is soft, shiny, wavy, and long, I don't care. If any product or treatment will endanger my hair, I stay far away from it. Henna doesn't seem to be harmful, though.

Goodluck!

browneyedsusan
September 8th, 2012, 06:38 AM
*snip* And, I don't want to discount anyone's experience, but I really feel that dyed hair can never be as healthy as virgin.
*snip*
Since henna only wraps around the hair shaft, right? For me, a person who commercially dyes their hair and therefore alters the core of the shaft of their hair cannot say the same.

To clarify: my own hair is much healthier with henna in it. I think others that have used it feel the same. People quit using henna for many reasons, but not because of the damage it causes. :)

Henna penetrates the hair shaft and binds with the keratin in the hair. :blossom:

1nuitblanche
September 8th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Virgin hair isn't all that important to me per se. Low maintenance hair is though. I might dye my hair again one day, but right now I just don't want to deal with roots growing out.

SerinaDaith
September 8th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I like the idea of having perminant dye free hair because I am starting to get more salt and really don't want to have to keep up the dye as I get older, henna is so tempting but I just don't want to kill all of the last six months of being dye free. My dark evil plan is that when my hair is white enough and the old black dye is out of my hair I will buy every shade of purple and blue that manic panic makes and go to town! It may sound silly but I think it will be a blast.

Tristania
September 8th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I don't know. For me personally, at BSL length or shorter I would be OK with having virgin hair (my natural color is some sort of medium brown). But when you reach TBL and beyond, I think black (or any other "unusual" color) looks much more striking.

I dye the heck out of my hair and I never get any split ends and it looks really healthy, so I don't see the problem with not having virgin hair.

blondie9912
September 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM
After years of highlighting, I am really looking forward to having my natural colour (been growing out for a year, woo!). My fine hair, though it may appear unaffected at first, really can't handle bleach. It makes my hair break off like crazy.

faellen
September 8th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Generally, virgin hair isn't that important to me - even though I am now trying to grow out the dye.

I started dyeing my hair in my early teens and only stopped in Feb this year. I have been all sorts of colours, and really enjoyed dyeing it.
However, in March I had an accident which left me without the use of my right hand for a few months, and I therefore could not dye my hair, as I don't like others doing it for me and rarely visit the salon. I noticed that my hair seemed to be in much better condition, so decided to give up the chemical dyes for good.

However, I admit it has been difficult, and I've been really tempted to dye again. My natural colour is nothing special at all, and I don't have a great affinity for the colour coming through at the roots - it's certainly different from when I was a kid. It just looks so.... dirty :-/

I will continue trying to grow it out, though. The difference between the dyed hair and the roots is not too obvious, I think I notice it more than others. It sorta "fades" rather than having an obvious demarcation line. I'm also enjoying not having to maintain the colour!

gogirlanime
September 9th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I know what true virgin hair is, no dye, no chemicals, no damage, no heat, etc. Just pure hair.

My version of "virgin" is no damage at all. Which I have, no chemicals, heat, damage (henna only) I am going "virgin" and it is very important to me because I want high quality hair on my head. I am growing out my neglect from previous years.

Bianca
September 9th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Yes, virgin hair is important to me :)

1) I do not like roots, not just having to do them, the look of them more than anything.
2) My natural hair color beats anything out of a box/bag/can :D

jillosity
September 9th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I've dyed my hair so much I'm really curious about what my virgin hair will look like, I haven't seen it in a while! I'm also completely over the hassle of maintaining hair color. I want to see how long my hair will grow when I'm not abusing it. So it's not so much about virgin hair as having healthy hair, and taking care of it.

eros
September 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Generally, virgin hair isn't that important to me - even though I am now trying to grow out the dye.

I started dyeing my hair in my early teens and only stopped in Feb this year. I have been all sorts of colours, and really enjoyed dyeing it.
However, in March I had an accident which left me without the use of my right hand for a few months, and I therefore could not dye my hair, as I don't like others doing it for me and rarely visit the salon. I noticed that my hair seemed to be in much better condition, so decided to give up the chemical dyes for good.

However, I admit it has been difficult, and I've been really tempted to dye again. My natural colour is nothing special at all, and I don't have a great affinity for the colour coming through at the roots - it's certainly different from when I was a kid. It just looks so.... dirty :-/

I will continue trying to grow it out, though. The difference between the dyed hair and the roots is not too obvious, I think I notice it more than others. It sorta "fades" rather than having an obvious demarcation line. I'm also enjoying not having to maintain the colour!
ooh! may I ask if dying your hair has changed it texture in any way? I mean chemical dye, btw.

Tisiloves
September 9th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Not at all, my hair is so much happier slutty! :D

My dark evil plan is that when my hair is white enough and the old black dye is out of my hair I will buy every shade of purple and blue that manic panic makes and go to town! It may sound silly but I think it will be a blast.

This is very much my plan for when I go grey enough to bother growing out the henna.

SerinaDaith
September 9th, 2012, 05:00 PM
This is very much my plan for when I go grey enough to bother growing out the henna.

I am glad that I am not the only one. I somehow think I may be ahead of you in the grey since I have almost ten years on you. Now that I have several months of virgin hair I see grey all over the top of my head. :). I had a blast playing with color since I turned 18 now I guess it is just time for me to focus on my goal of being the cool grandma with long silver locks so nothing perminant on my hair ever again.

Tisiloves
September 9th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I am glad that I am not the only one. I somehow think I may be ahead of you in the grey since I have almost ten years on you. Now that I have several months of virgin hair I see grey all over the top of my head. :). I had a blast playing with color since I turned 18 now I guess it is just time for me to focus on my goal of being the cool grandma with long silver locks so nothing perminant on my hair ever again.

You'd be well ahead anyway, my family has a few frustrating silvers for approximately forever before finally going properly grey in their 60s. :(

SerinaDaith
September 9th, 2012, 05:16 PM
You'd be well ahead anyway, my family has a few frustrating silvers for approximately forever before finally going properly grey in their 60s. :(

You will get there, this just means that you will have longer to play before considering if you can handle the demarcation line from silver roots to whatever color is on your hair at the time. I can bairly handle the line from the black to my natural dark brown and grey.:rolleyes:

faellen
September 15th, 2012, 04:05 PM
ooh! may I ask if dying your hair has changed it texture in any way? I mean chemical dye, btw.

Sorry for the late reply!

My hair definitely feels better since I quit the chemical dyes. Smoother, somehow. But your mileage may vary.

McFearless
September 15th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Not using chemical dyes is important to me only because I can't get away with dye, it damages my hair too much. Henna improves my hair so I use it. What is your attachment to virgin hair?

katfemme89
September 15th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with dying, bleaching, hennaing, etc etc on other people, but it's not for me anymore. It pulls me into a vicious cycle of re-damaging my hair because when I dye it, it messes up my wave pattern, so then I had to straighten to keep from looking like I got in a fight with a light socket, then straightening it would dry it out and lighten the color, so I'd re-dye, etc etc etc...

Now my hair is about 75% to 80% virgin and I'm heading for 100%. Never again shall my hair be dyed!

BrightEyes
September 15th, 2012, 08:05 PM
No, virgin hair isn't important to me. I highlight and lowlight (as well as trim) my hair every 8-10 weeks. I love the color and don't plan on ever quitting. I also enjoy getting my hair done. My stylist is a good friend and it's nice to visit with her while she is doing my hair.

I'm fully aware of the damage bleaching and coloring does to hair. I actually like the lift and body it gives :D

gossamer
September 15th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I'd experiment with dyes - temporary and henna - except that I'm totally unwilling to deal with maintaining roots. It just seems like adding a huge chore to my life that I've never had to deal with before.

So it's not virgin hair that's important to me, it's continuing my regime of benign neglect that I'm concerned with! :p

Ambystoma
September 15th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I don't mind using wash out dyes (the really gentle 6-8 wash ones or the fudge/manic panic type) but permanent and demi permanent ones are not something I'd use these days - I've had my fair share of messing it up and getting unwanted cool tones or having it come out super dark (this is why I'd never use henna either). Plus I love what sunbleaching does to my natural hair and it never really responded to the sun when it was dyed - hopefully in a few years I'll have the dramatic streaks I did as a kid!

When my hair was shorter I bleached a few very fine copper highlights into it but to be honest, the sun does a better job for me and it's a lot easier! I do honey lightening treatments too but I'm still not sure if it's made that much of a difference, so no, I'm not really that concerned about having virgin hair as long as it's healthy :)

honeybunnie8
September 15th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Virgin hair is only important to me because I'm to lazy to touch up roots. lol Plus my own hair color is fine and I like having really soft hair.

melusine963
September 16th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I don't particularly like my hair colour, but I'm far too lazy to touch up roots constantly. And seeing as my hair is almost TB length, it would be pretty soul-crushing to grow out permanent dye. So yes, virgin hair is important too me.

Accalia
September 16th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Yes it is important to me! Well since a year or so... Still growing the damage out and that will be a long journey. Coloring is fun but it damaged to much.

sylvanasylvana
September 16th, 2012, 12:55 PM
it's not important to me either, i use henna and I really like it

Kaelee
September 16th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I'm a henna head. I'm NOT happy with my natural hair color, so it made perfect sense to me.

Green Eyes
September 16th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Am starting to like my hair more now it's the natural colour than before its just a pain to wait for it all to grow out the dye colour x