PDA

View Full Version : Razor cutting

MaryO
September 7th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Excuse my ignorance but is razor cutting very bad for hair?

Logic sort of tells me that it doesn't cut straight though the hair because you drag the razor though the hair so it maybe makes the ends more fine or something?

I want to get one to say 'cut' bangs or so on from time to time but don't want to get one if it's going to be bad for my hair...

Any opinions or advice would be welcome!:)

Madora
September 7th, 2012, 07:55 AM
If you want to cut your hair, please use scissors. Razors are not sharp enough, plus can result in unhappy results. Be sure the shears are SHARP so you achieve the best cut.

torrilin
September 7th, 2012, 07:56 AM
If the stylist keeps after their razor properly, it can be not bad. Sharp cuts are sharp cuts, and as a practical matter, very few stylists are doing genuinely blunt cuts with scissors. There's always going to be a smidge of angling.

However, a lot of stylists do not keep their razors sharp, and a dull razor is damaging just like dull scissors are.

pink.sara
September 7th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I wouldn't use a razor on your own hair unless you are trained and the razor is a new blade everytime.

Razorcutting cuts the hair on a diagonal leaving more of the inner cortex exposed and causing fraying and splitting ends in people prone to this kind of damage. The more a blade is used the duller the edge and the more damage is done cutting the ends, meaning damage is even more likely.

For a fringe you may be better off with texturising scissors which have a blade that looks like a comb and allows you to cut out tiny chunks along a section of hair for a softer line.

Saying that I razor cut mine heavily to thin it out since I got past BSL and it suits my hair perfectly. This is probably because with lots and lots of processed fine hair I am more prone to breakage than splits, hopefully with really heavy continued razoring I will have a Fairytale sort of V hemline at hip.

MaryO
September 8th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Cool, thanks for the replies! :-)

Simone_Fatale
September 8th, 2012, 05:57 AM
I've been razor cutting my bangs for almost three months now and I haven't had a single split end yet. And I flat iron them. So... It really depends more on your hair type and how it can handle razor cutting. Just make sure to use a new blade, though.