PDA

View Full Version : Curly problem...

Hollyfire3
September 6th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I need some help guys, I know I ask for help a lot and I'm sorry about that but...I just don't know what to do. My hair is finally growing out nice after all my heat breakage and damaged mess I had going on for a while. But....my curls aren't wanting to be bouncy lately. Its not length, as this is a problem that just started a week or so ago, I even clarifyed last week when it first started but the problem still didn't resolve itself (and I clarifyed well and conditioned well afterwards). Now, I'm thinking might need protein or moisture or maybe soemthing else.but, I don't know where to really go from here. Any suggestions? Right now, my hair stringy and in stretched out waves instead of big bouncy curls that I usually have. However, I have gained thickness, (from 4.25 to nearly 5 inches) so its not a thickness issue, my curls just won't be curly:rolleyes:

CurlySasha
September 6th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Moisture moisture moisture.
Moisture.
Sooo important for curl formation. Try CO-washing (if you don't already).
Also, try scrunching wet hair with gel. I like a coconut oil and aloe vera gel mix :)
Good luck!

Kiwiwi
September 6th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I disagree. I'd say you need some protein.
Check out this article, very interesting!
http://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/protein-vs-moisture/

Good luck!

Hollyfire3
September 6th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I disagree. I'd say you need some protein.
Check out this article, very interesting!
http://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/protein-vs-moisture/

Good luck!

Thanks both! Do you have an easy DIY protein treatment I can try tonight?

CurlySasha
September 6th, 2012, 04:50 PM
My hair hates protein :) (it only allows it very rarely, or else dry, tangle city for my curls!)
An easy DIY protein mask should contain eggs. I suggest a whole egg and EVOO! :D

Hollyfire3
September 6th, 2012, 04:52 PM
My hair hates protein :) (it only allows it very rarely, or else dry, tangle city for my curls!)
An easy DIY protein mask should contain eggs. I suggest a whole egg and EVOO! :D

My hair typically hates protein too, (which is why I am thinking of using it as a last resort). I will try the egg with olive oil...or maybe just an egg? But I thought egg protein wasn't small enough to actually help hair?

CurlySasha
September 6th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Hmmm I'm no scientist, but when I need protein, my hair loves an egg and EVOO! The yolk especially makes my hair super shiny too :)
Coconut oil helps prevent protein loss, so you might like that too.
If your hair is protein sensitive, I suggest doing a quick protein mask (20 minutes) and then a moisture treatment (like an SMT).
I hope this helps :D

Hollyfire3
September 6th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Hmmm I'm no scientist, but when I need protein, my hair loves an egg and EVOO! The yolk especially makes my hair super shiny too :)
Coconut oil helps prevent protein loss, so you might like that too.
If your hair is protein sensitive, I suggest doing a quick protein mask (20 minutes) and then a moisture treatment (like an SMT).
I hope this helps :D

Oh I wasn't trying to say that your suggestion wasn't good...I'm sorry. I will try the egg mask, and I will do a moisture SMT afterwards. Thanks, this does help!:)

Kelikea
September 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I always use conditioner with protein in it, either VO5 strawberry, silk cashmere, or Nature's Gate Persimmon and rose geranium. That way, there is always a moisture-protein balance and I don't have to do deep treatments or masks. I don't like to oil and take time with DT, so I stick to the basics.

brave
September 6th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I have also heard that the proteins in egg are too large to properly work as a protein treatment but YMMV.

Another alternative for an at-home protein treatment is a gelatin treatment. (http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/2012/05/gelatin-protein-treatment.html) Gelatin has hydrolyzed collagen protein in it, and this recipe is a more moisturizing version of the original.

edit: yet another alternative is soy sauce. I believe that has hydrolyzed wheat (or was it soy?) protein in it, although you may want to double check. I would worry about getting hungry though.

CurlySasha
September 6th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Oh I wasn't trying to say that your suggestion wasn't good...I'm sorry. I will try the egg mask, and I will do a moisture SMT afterwards. Thanks, this does help!:)

Oh, don't be sorry! I wasn't offended :) I know that everybody's hair is different! :cheese:

Hollyfire3
September 6th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I always use conditioner with protein in it, either VO5 strawberry, silk cashmere, or Nature's Gate Persimmon and rose geranium. That way, there is always a moisture-protein balance and I don't have to do deep treatments or masks. I don't like to oil and take time with DT, so I stick to the basics.

Normally I do too, my conditioner has protein and moisture in it, but sometimes, my hair needs a bit of extra of both or one or the other.:)

I ended up doing an egg treatment after washing with diluted shampoo (trying to cut back on shampoo to prevent dryness). I know the egg isn't the best protein treatment but its fast and I had it on hand, so I did it. It seems to have helped even though my hair is soaked right now (little early to tell, but the effect was immediatly better hair). I was gonna do the gelatin treatment but someone decided to throw out or hide the gelatin once I never used it in a DT...soooo yeah....it was nowhere in sight! So egg it was, it seems better, so thanks a ton guys!