PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with hair! Style suggestions?

Ashlbee
September 6th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I am at my whits at with what do do with my hair. I throw it up into a crappy bun every day because I have no idea what to do with it.

Right now it is BSL, layered, and pretty straight but with a slight wave to it. I've tried doing buns but my layers make it impossible to get anything to behave, plus my hair is pretty thick so even though BSL isn't short short, the thickness makes there not enough length to really do much with it (I love my layers and want to keep them though because they look great when I style and curly my hair). Also, my hair tends to get grody overnight, but I don't want to wash it in the morning and have wet hair all day.

Ideally, I want nice loose waves I can wake up with since I avoide hair dryers and curling irons except for really special occasions.

I tried doing a sock bun, but fail at it miserably! No matter how hard I try my hair won't wrap and the lays fall out and it won't roll. I tried doing the head band wrap but the front got super curly and the back not curly at all, looked silly.

I have some beach spray that says you spray it on straight hair and it adds wave, but so far nothing. I think I need some sort of curl for it to work.

Can you all give me the names of some buns that might work for me so I can look them up?

Or any advice on how to get soft curls or waves in the morning? I don't like the look of braid waves or rope waves on my hair. I'm tired of wearing my hair up all the time and want it too look nice down. If I just wake up and go with it, it looks like a mess. This is the longest my hair has ever been so really new to me.

Thank you guys and sorry for the novel!!

sarelis
September 6th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I'm not the most hair style talented person in the world, but I have recently discovered sectioned buns. They make it easy to create really elaborate looking do's, and if you are splitting your length then you will have less thickness to deal with. I've just mastered a double braided bun (in my avatar) & although my hair is hip length I can do it on DD's BSL hair too. I'm also sadly not the most technologically gifted person in the world either, so I can't post any links for you, but if you check out the 'articles' section at the top of the page then click on 'hair styling' there are lots of tutorials for styling hair of all lengths & thickness. For nice waves try the summer flower bun, pin it right on top of your head so it's comfortable to sleep in, then enjoy big sproingy curls in the morning! HTH :)

minxe
September 6th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I'd try applying some of that beach spray onto damp hair and throwing your hair into a few braids before you go to sleep. Then when you wake up you should have some nice waves :)

tambalina
September 6th, 2012, 02:55 PM
We have (somewhat) similar hair! In between washes (every 2 - 4 days), I either:

1.) Braid my hair (french or dutch) after it's been lightly misted with a water/conditioner mix. I stop about 2 inches from my shortest layer and then sock bun rolling the sock up to my crown rather than down to the nape. This insures all the layers stay put and inside the sock bun. (If I try and roll downwards, my layers fall out.)

2.) Pin curl after wetting my hair and sleeping in it overnight. (Don't remove pin curls until your hair is COMPLETELY dry or you will lose the wave pattern and potentially frizz.) I pin curls larger sections so I don't turn into a puff ball. Then I brush them out to get that "Veronica Lake" effect. I get the most hair compliments on the days I pin curl.

3.) Do 3 - 4 cinnamon buns on my hair in evenly distributed sections depending on curly I would like it in the morning. (Anymore than that and I look like a crazed lion in the morning!)

4.) Rag curls. Similar to the pincurls, only I get more root curl with the pin curl set. I use old pantyhose/tights for my rag curlers. VERY curly hair after this (think Shirley Temple,) so make sure you brush and SHAPE the curls you want after this method. These curls will stay in my hair for about 3 days.

HTH!!

ETA: Check out this You Tube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/beautyklove?feature=watch)!! She has a lot of styling/curling tricks and she's all about the "no-heat styling"!!