PDA

View Full Version : What stays put in slippery hair?

Kristen121
September 6th, 2012, 01:27 PM
My 3.5 year old DD had very slippery hair. It is about APL. I would say her hair type is 1b F/M ii. Regular ouchless elastics slide right out as do most clips and barrettes. Anyone have any ideas? She isn't very patient with my styling her hair, so intricate styles with pins might stay put, but she probably won't sit still long enough for me to do it!

Tisiloves
September 6th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Have you tried scrunchies? The larger surface area should give you a little more friction, and I find they hold better than the ouchless elactics.

akilina
September 6th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Maybe get the hair wet first?
That is the only thing I can think of. Spray some tea into it?
When my hair gets wet it seems to stay put once it dries.

brave
September 6th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I have these no-slide scrunchies that have a bit of rubber or something on them. I think they make similar hair bands. They might not be no damage but they'll stick. I think you can find them at most drugstores.

The true answer: gum, peanut butter, mud -- whatever a 3 year old puts in her hair, and nothing that you will ;)

ravenreed
September 6th, 2012, 01:40 PM
What about the little clear elastics? Those hold pretty well in my hair.

Kristen121
September 6th, 2012, 01:44 PM
What about the little clear elastics? Those hold pretty well in my hair.

Oh good idea! I used to use the teeny tiny clear elastics to make a little baby ponytail on top of her head when she was around 1 year old. I should get some bigger ones, I bet those would stay in better.

ravenreed
September 6th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I use them on my sleep-braid ends. Everything else I have tried slides right off when I am sleeping. I guess I am an active sleeper.

BrightEyes
September 6th, 2012, 02:46 PM
My hair can be pretty slippery and I've had great success with Flexi-8 clips. I wear them in half-ups, and when my hair was longer I wore one to secure a pony tail. They always stay put and are pretty too.

ETA: Of course Flexi-8 clips are not cheap. So they might not be the best thing to put in a little girl's hair if she is prone to loosing clips and barrettes:)

Kristen121
September 6th, 2012, 03:14 PM
My hair can be pretty slippery and I've had great success with Flexi-8 clips. I wear them in half-ups, and when my hair was longer I wore one to secure a pony tail. They always stay put and are pretty too.

ETA: Of course Flexi-8 clips are not cheap. So they might not be the best thing to put in a little girl's hair if she is prone to loosing clips and barrettes:)

I use Flexi-8s in her hair for special occasions, but for everyday I don't want to risk them getting lost at daycare.

katfemme89
September 6th, 2012, 03:18 PM
These :D
http://www.shophairwig.com/images/detailed/57/38995_goody-stayput-elastic-ponytail-holders-8-pcs.jpg

BlazingHeart
September 7th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Have you tried Blax elastics? They stick very well indeed. I just wish they were in a size that worked well for my hair (super thick hair, so they're just a hair smaller than I can get around my ponytail twice, and once is too loose). Ugh, that reminds me, I need to find them again and post them on the swap board, 'cause they're doing me no good.

~Blaze

sparrowswing
September 7th, 2012, 12:50 AM
I don't really have anything useful to add, but I wanted to pop in and offer a word of advice. The Scunci Evolution (http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-slip-Evolution-Ponytailers-14-Count/dp/B003DKO83E) elastics get recommended a lot on other sites, especially for young girls' hair. True, they do stay put no matter what. But that includes when it's time to take them out. They have a tendency to bring an awful lot of hair with them and cause a lot of pain coming out. They might be decent for the end of a braid or something where only a small amount of hair would have to get past the elastic, but I definitely wouldn't use them for ponytails.

I have slippery, escape-artist hair, and the hair ties katfemme89 posted are what I use when I want a ponytail to stay in place.

browneyedsusan
September 7th, 2012, 06:08 AM
My hair is super-slippery too, but is quite a bit shorter than your DD's, so what works for me might not help her.

I use those clear elastics and pins. Pins: twist the front back, open the pin, put the opening of the pin right over the twist--with the "legs" of the pin straddeling the twist, and push the pin directly under the twist toward my face. When the pin is inserted, it will be hidden under the twist with the open end of the pin pointing toward my face. --Gosh, I hope that makes sense!-- They hold all day pretty well, but again, my hair is short, so the weight of her hair might pull it out? It might be worth a try?

Good luck!

Maybe
September 7th, 2012, 09:03 AM
You could also braid her hair overnight, secure with a little clear elastic.
Then, because her hair will be wavy when you take it out in the morning, whatever you use might stay better.

skyblue
September 7th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Claw clips...we have the same type of hair, for about 3 days after a wash claw clips are the only thing I can use, I can't use hair ties at all, even though my hair is light and thin they give me headaches

vanillabones
September 7th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I use scrunchies the most so I second that suggestion seeming as your DD and I have the same type of hair no doubt. The only thing that will tie the ends of my braids are the little clear or little rubber elastics... and I also have been using flexi-8s since being a 'super shorty'... however they still can slip with slippery hair but that probably has more to do with styling.