PDA

View Full Version : Bow hair past waist-length?

phantasmalkitty
September 6th, 2012, 11:39 AM
So, ya know those hairstyles where you make a bow out of your own hair, like the ones Lady Gaga and Katy Perry have worn? Turns out you can do it yourself, and it's supposed to be pretty easy.

Here's a tutorial: http://www.mrkate.com/2012/05/25/diy-hair-bow-bun-tutorial/

But, I'm wondering if this can be done with waist length and longer hair. Mine is past waist but not quite tailbone, and I have so far been unsuccessful. The two sides of my bow turn into huge loops instead of cute little... bow-side-thingies. That short little tail the lady in the tutorial has is also mega long for me. Has anyone else with long hair been able to do this? Are there any tricks to hiding the tail? I know I could make my bow-sides smaller, but that would leave me with an even more unmanageable tail.

Ayjay
September 6th, 2012, 11:40 AM
maybe do it as a half up and the tails will blend into the rest of the hair thats down?

katfemme89
September 6th, 2012, 12:21 PM
maybe do it as a half up and the tails will blend into the rest of the hair thats down?

I agree. I think this would make it a lot more doable. Also another option might be to make several bows until you use up the length of your hair?

Pigfarts
September 6th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Hi, what I do is I take my hair and I put it in a pony tail at the very top of my head.
I leave out a small section to wrap the center with later.
I take the whole giant pony tail and I wrap it in a figure eight.
Like I bring the pony tail, and I make a loop on the right, bring it back to the center, and make a loop on the left..

This doesn't work if you have layers btw.

and then after I pin in the ends from the loops, I take the small section and wrap it around the center and pin that in too.

Sorry if that's really hard to understand.

kallarina
September 6th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Ponytail on top of head. Make your loops the size you want them. Braid down the tail to eat up the length, and use it for the middle part of the bow between the loops. I did this style back when my hair was hip length. I wish I could show you a picture, but alas, I'm on my phone at the moment. Pm me if what I said didn't make sense.

akilina
September 6th, 2012, 05:04 PM
OMG. I didn't realize this was so easy.
I just made one on top of my head. How cute!! ^_^
I felt like a lame hair dresser because I didn't know how to make hair into a bow :(
If I had really long hair, I would just make the loop part small, and wrap the "tail" hanging out like normal, then tuck it in really neat like.

phantasmalkitty
September 6th, 2012, 07:22 PM

Idk why I didn't think of this D: It's a great idea!

I agree. I think this would make it a lot more doable. Also another option might be to make several bows until you use up the length of your hair?

I think I know what you mean, but I'm having trouble picturing it. Do you mean like make several bows with the same ponytail?

Hi, what I do is I take my hair and I put it in a pony tail at the very top of my head.
I leave out a small section to wrap the center with later.
I take the whole giant pony tail and I wrap it in a figure eight.
Like I bring the pony tail, and I make a loop on the right, bring it back to the center, and make a loop on the left..

This doesn't work if you have layers btw.

and then after I pin in the ends from the loops, I take the small section and wrap it around the center and pin that in too.

Sorry if that's really hard to understand.

Ponytail on top of head. Make your loops the size you want them. Braid down the tail to eat up the length, and use it for the middle part of the bow between the loops. I did this style back when my hair was hip length. I wish I could show you a picture, but alas, I'm on my phone at the moment. Pm me if what I said didn't make sense.

Both of these are good ideas :)

OMG. I didn't realize this was so easy.
I just made one on top of my head. How cute!! ^_^
I felt like a lame hair dresser because I didn't know how to make hair into a bow :(
If I had really long hair, I would just make the loop part small, and wrap the "tail" hanging out like normal, then tuck it in really neat like.

Yay! I'm glad I showed you something new. I always thought it would be hard too, until I saw some tutorials. I'm also really surprised that so many people have tried it, though. I haven't seen this style on anyone in real life.

(Actually when I was making this thread, I thought "Well, if it's impossible with long hair, at least I showed some shorter haired ladies a new style.")

katfemme89
September 6th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I think I know what you mean, but I'm having trouble picturing it. Do you mean like make several bows with the same ponytail?

Yeah, like maybe make two on each side of the head, almost like kitty ears.

Sagi1982
September 7th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I think, Yamale did a bow tuto for long to very long hair - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=112