PDA

View Full Version : Cold Rinse

Natalia
September 6th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I realized something last month after about 2 years of consistant effort I am finally actually enjoying my final cold rinse. Ok not such a significant thing but i am always cold and i detest being any colder than i can control so im kind of shocked that i not only got used to it but i enjoy it.

So how long did it take you to adjust to or enjoy the final cold rinse?

sarelis
September 6th, 2012, 01:57 AM
I chose less than 2 weeks, but actually I have been washing my hair outside under the hose since February (brrrrr!) so my hair hasn't even touched warm water for months. I did get a headache due to the cold at first, but now I find it really refreshing & it really makes my scalp tingle, yay for increased circulation! :D

EtherealDoll
September 6th, 2012, 02:02 AM
I voted 2 weeks or less. I loved cold rinses after the first try, they made my hair feel really smooth.

Roscata
September 6th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I chose 6 months to a year because I always used to take very hot showers and it took a long time to adjust to warm water, then cold water. Now I actually enjoy cold hair rinses. I never thought it was possible.

Allychan
September 6th, 2012, 02:19 AM
I live in the tropica so the cold rinse is really nice after a warm shower

Sarahlabyrinth
September 6th, 2012, 02:23 AM
I really hate cold rinses - but do them anyway!

yurikome
September 6th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Only the first 2-3 times were difficult. But now I love it, especially in the shower when it also splashes on my feet and I stand in the cold water, feels very natural and makes me think I'm in some natural mountain spring :)

bayleafwish
September 6th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Instantly , its quite soothing and refreshing. But means I have to wash my hair in the sink afte a shower because my shower is stuck on one setting only - boiling hot! I had a stiff neck for a while because the sink is so low and small but deffinately worth it.

RubyTuesday
September 6th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Sarelis you wash your hair outside with a hose??? In winter???? You are hardcore! I would cry if I had to do that.

KittyBird
September 6th, 2012, 03:58 AM
I voted 2 weeks or less, because I've always liked cold rinses. So refreshing, and my hair feels incredibly soft afterwards :)

sarelis
September 6th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Sarelis you wash your hair outside with a hose??? In winter???? You are hardcore! I would cry if I had to do that.

Lmao! I only wash my hair around every 2 weeks, by which time my roots need doing (I use Directions) so it's less messy all round if I just do it out side :) Plus my OH is a massive clean freak & moans like you wouldn't believe when I stain all the bathroom pink! I have got used to it now & quite enjoy it, saying that though last winter wasn't too harsh...

RubyTuesday
September 6th, 2012, 06:56 AM
brrrrrr sounds too cold for my liking. I am ALWAYS cold though. Making me wash my hair outside in winter would be some kind of harsh punishment for me. I have problems even getting undressed and into the shower on winter mornings. :eek:

CurlySasha
September 6th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I do it, because it makes my hair soft and shiny, but I really, really don't like it. Really. :p

akilina
September 6th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I have mastered keeping my body out of the cold rinse (mostly :D ). I find it easier to cold rinse if I am washing my hair in the sink where I have the hand sprayer.
I can "be used to it" after one time though. I cut off the hot water then start rinsing and let the cold water take over until it is all cold. Its easier for me that way. It is like "easing in" to it.

MeowScat
September 6th, 2012, 08:49 AM
So far, I'm the only one who voted for the 1 - 3 month slot.

I'm still a newbie for this rinsing method. Cold water isn't comfortable yet, I prefer really warm/ hot water during showers / scalp washes.

I thought warmer water was better since it opens up the cuticule. I know cold water closes the cuticule and smoothes the hairshaft.

How long do you have to rinse under those cooler temps? 30 seconds? 2 minutes? Or 10 miserable, cold minutes??!

Thank you for this poll...it's a good reminder to turn down the water temperature!

CurlyCap
September 6th, 2012, 08:54 AM
It was easy, but I think a lot of that had to do with gradually lowering the temperature of my final rinse.

I still don't rinse with ice cold water. I can't take it. But it's significantly cooler that my shower water (feels like pool water) and I can see the effect on my hair.

DancingQueen
September 6th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Less than 2 weeks, although I don't like being cold either. I stopped again because while it made my hair a lot shinier, it became unruly a lot faster than usual, so I had to wash more often.

misspurdy06
September 6th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I voted 2 weeks or less because I love cold water. Its been very hot here this summer and I think it is insane to take a hot shower in 90 degree weather. Room temperature or colder for me. No need to shock myself with a cold rinse because I'm used to the cold.

My motto is If it's to hot for your face; it's too hot for the rest of your body.

maborosi
September 6th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Not too long. Then again, I often forget to do a cold rinse. Oopsies! :cheese:

Mmm cheese rinse!

~maborosi~

jen5972
September 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I wish the poll had two votes, because in summer I am completely fine with cool rinses. In winter, not so much. I can't get used to them in the winter!! BRRRRR!

Jen
Long Hair updo videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/JenniferS42394/videos
Long Hair albums: http://public.fotki.com/jen5972/

stew
September 6th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I voted 2 weeks or less because I love cold water. Its been very hot here this summer and I think it is insane to take a hot shower in 90 degree weather. Room temperature or colder for me. No need to shock myself with a cold rinse because I'm used to the cold.

My motto is If it's to hot for your face; it's too hot for the rest of your body.

agreed! i started taking room temperature or colder showers for my whole body earlier this year. my skin and hair are so much happier. then again, i run cold, so it's not too much of a stretch for me.

Vampyria
September 6th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I don't mind cold rinses as long as it's just my head and not my whole body. I also find them quite refreshing.

I can't stand cold showers though, since I'm also cold all the time and that's why I love hot water. So, I never shower and wash my hair at the same time. But if the water is too cold I get a headache.

Amorice
September 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I'm with jen - Cold rinses are refreshing in summer, but make me shiver in winter. I at least try to lower the water heat a little bit for 'luke warm' rinses.

rach
September 6th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I turn the shower to cold last thing. My head hurts to much for me to tolerate cold from start to finish.
cold water defiantly is nice and refreshing and makes it much easier to get out and face the cool air.

Kristen121
September 6th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I voted 2 weeks or less, but I've been doing a final rinse with cold water since I was a teenager and read it a magazine it makes your hair look shiner. I honestly don't remember how long it took me to get used to it or what it is like not to finish my shower with a cool or cold water rinse.

shutterpillar
September 6th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I chose 'cheese rinse' because I did not need to adjust to doing cold rinses at all. :shrug: I've always enjoyed it. I crank the shower up scalding hot and stand in it for a while before I wash my hair, so it feels extra nice when I do the cold rinse at the end.

Maybe I am just a freak though. ;)

In2wishin
September 6th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I hate cold rinses but I do them anyway since I discovered I shed less during detangling if I do them.

Suze2012
September 6th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I was a festival goer to Glastonbury and Reading (and a few others) for years though I'm used to washing my hair with cold water as I did that every day from a water bag when at a festival.
I washed my hair in cold water a couple of weeks ago as I had run out of hot water..not much of an issue for me.
It can be quite refreshing if it's hot outside.

Ginbill
September 6th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Since it's pretty hot where I live right now, I'm pretty much used to it. Come winter, though, I'll be really weary of them! lol

AineMuirne
September 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I feel like my response is flawed, because "cold" water in Florida is ~75 degrees out of the tap. So there really wasn't anything to get used to!

Indigo Girl
September 6th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I really hate cold rinses - but do them anyway!

I am right there with you! I have always hated cold rinses, but I put up with them because they really make a substantial difference for me.

Wild Strawberry
September 6th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I usually do the cold final, but I try not to get it on my skin -brrrrr! Sometimes I just wash the hair leaning over the bath and then it's no problem.

truepeacenik
September 6th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Another who moves tepid to cool.
I'll rinse all but the scalp in cold from the tap, but cold in the shower doesn't work for me.

Shepherdess
September 6th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I don't think I have heard of cold rinses for hair before, is it good?

Tisiloves
September 6th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I do my initial rinse/hair wetting with cold (to squeeze out the sebum/ stimulate the scalp), then wash warm to warm up.

ratgirldjh
September 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I have always done this. I was taught this when I was little! I always do a cold rinse if I take a shower too - my hair or body doesn't feel 'finished' without a cold rinse!!!

I can really tell the difference if the water is not cold. I usually wash with cold or lukewarm water anyway so will get water from the water cooler if the water is already cold and use it for the final rinse!!! SUPER SHINY!!! :D

I can tell more difference if I use warm water first and then cold though :shrug:

dwell_in_safety
September 6th, 2012, 05:51 PM
It took me about a month to get used to them, but by the time I was doing them I was only washing about once a week, so my month is some others' week. :p

neko_kawaii
September 6th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I chose less than 2 weeks, but actually I have been washing my hair outside under the hose since February (brrrrr!) so my hair hasn't even touched warm water for months. I did get a headache due to the cold at first, but now I find it really refreshing & it really makes my scalp tingle, yay for increased circulation! :D

Makes me miss taking hose showers as a regular thing.

Cold took no getting used to. It was more a "why didn't I think of this before?" sort of thing.

ratgirldjh
September 6th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Makes me miss taking hose showers as a regular thing.

Cold took no getting used to. It was more a "why didn't I think of this before?" sort of thing.

Wow I used to do this too! I still wash my hair outside in a bucket sometimes and I prefer it. Seems like hose water is better for hair somehow... bucket water certainly is!!! Maybe because it has stood for a moment???

mmmag
September 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I get headaches if my head gets too cold, so I can only do them in the summer.

Arakazi
September 6th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I chose 2 weeks or less, I have a shower with the hose thingy (?) so I can just move it and just rinse my hair. I don't thing I could handle getting more then that wet with cold water! Brrrr!

sisi33
September 6th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I'm in the 2 Weeks or less category. Mmmm, nice and chilly! (I know I'm weird :p)

But every now and again, it's like, "That's freez-eeezing!"

Chimom79
September 6th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I loved cool/cold rinses from the beginning. It just feels so refreshing! :wink:

terylenerose
September 6th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I don't really do "cold" rinses, but when I do it goes fine. I picked 2 weeks or less.

Fethenwen
September 7th, 2012, 12:44 AM
I wash my hair with my hair upside down and in the bathtub, so the cold water goes only on my head. Easy!

But I wished I had the guts to rinse my body with cold water when I stand in the shower more often, it really is great for the whole circulation and increases cold tolerance.

kme81
September 7th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I put "haven't gotten used to them" because cold rinses in the summer feel really good, but cold rinses in the winter are just not something I (want to) do!

CurlyCurves
September 7th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I chose cheese rinse, because it's funny :D

But, my true answer is about over one year. I used to HATE the cold rinse, but now, I am so used to it, and kind of enjoy it :)

thatcrazychick
September 7th, 2012, 05:27 PM
2 weeks or less. I used to LOVE hot, steamy showers, but honestly I hate the feeling of staying hot after getting out, especially my scalp. I started whole-body cool/cold rinses a long time ago.

justgreen
September 7th, 2012, 06:11 PM
It took me no time at all to get used to rinsing with cool/cold water. I never use warm/hot on my face (makes my face red), so it wasn't a problem at all.