PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on my hair care routine (products)? Healthy?

Ashlbee
September 5th, 2012, 10:51 PM
My hair is virgin except for maybe the ends that had been bleached years and years ago, but I think that has all be trimmed away by now. Below is my current hair care routine, I'm wondering if it sounds ok for healthy hair growth. I'm at BSL now and shooting for waist or maybe hip.

I wash my hair (daily during the school year, every other day or two days over the summer) with John Frieda sheer blonde shampoo and conditioner. Sometimes the for lighter blondes meant to brighten blonde hair, sometimes the strengthening versions. (I'm wondering if the brightening one has some sort of lightening agent that's bad? No idea based on the long worded ingredients >.<) I am assuming as they are mainstream they are both sls with cones.

I put in the leave in conditioner by Aveeno, Nourish+ condition leave in treatment with wheat complex.

I usually put my hair in a sock bun, headband wrap, braids (to get curl) or leave loose for sleeping.

When I wake up I sometimes use dry shampoo or root valumizer from matrix and either a beach waves spray by Marc Anthony that promotes wave or a light hair spray to keep in the curls from Nexis.

I hardly ever blow dry or use a curling iron (never flat iron) except for that rare special occasion and then use a heat spray from Chi or Nor Your Mother's line.

I've tried CO, WO, no poo but my hair becomes a greasy tangled mess so regular frequent washing seems to be best for me. I've thought of tiring oils but my hair gets so greasy so quickly I am hesitant.

Thanks for reading and I really value any thoughts and opinions.

vanillabones
September 5th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I don't think your routine sounds bad at all! :) I just maybe wouldn't use the hairspray... people say aloe vera gel (which is good for you hair) in a squirt bottle can act as a good replacement. I am a frequent washer too, and I have to use cones! You could always try switching your shampoo to a more natural one considering you wash so often and just use sls to clarify your hair once in awhile if you get buildup from your john frieda. My hair gets oily/greasy very quickly however I oil my hair and it feels the benefits!
You could oil your hair before you braid or bun it at night, if you are going to be washing your hair in the morning any way. This works for me and I also have straight fine hair. :)

Good luck growing to waist you will be there soon I am sure.

goldloli
September 7th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Oh gosh does the sheer blonde not dry out your hair? It did something awful on mine, I used the platinum to champange one and just gave the stuff away after 2 uses.

I do love the sheer blonde go blonder one, gives shine like no other on light colour hair and it's never been damaging or built up (infact i find the shampoo to be good at gentle clarifying), they give moisture, weightless volume, body and lightens my hair about half a shade but i swear its just because its soo shiney it looks lighter <3

The straight ahead was very moisturising when i used heat but build up something rotten and i think would be too heavy for a lot of hair types, reminds me of kerastase nectar thermique effect on hair.

Oh I hear great things about full repair, beauty bloggers are raving about the stuff.

Sorry I get all excited about hair products.

Mayflower
September 7th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Like vanillabones said, you could try switching to a sulfate free shampoo. Since I use organic, sulfate free shampoo, I'm able to stretch my washes with an extra day (after two days I have to use dry shampoo at the roots, so I can go 3-4 days without washing). It's just way more gentle and my scalp doesn't feel so overly clean (=stripped) anymore.

Also, if you ditch the 'cones, you might be able to achieve more volume in your hair. My hair + cones = a weighed down, flat mess. Without cones = big and voluminous.

Other than that your routine sounds pretty good. :) Just look at what your hair likes and stick with it!

Ashlbee
September 8th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Thank you guys for all the suggestions! I'll try some experimenting. Good to know nothing I'm doing is horrific to my hair st least :D

battles
September 8th, 2012, 01:17 AM
I have heard that shampoo is very drying. I agree that if you switched to a gentler shampoo, you would find that your hair wouldn't get oily as fast.

Rather than oils, you could try a conditioner deep treatment or SMT. Oils don't work very well on me either, but I've found that an SMT usually works beautifully.

sakuraemily
September 8th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I don't like the daily washing and the root volumiser/hairspray but otherwise it seems fine.

Petrichos
September 8th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I've never used the JF blonde, but I used the brunette once and it made my hair feel really icky. I read some reviews of the blonde stuff on another site, and a lady said that her stylist did a strand test, the hair pretty much fizzled away on the spot, and the stylist said "You've been using those John Frieda blonde boosting products haven't you"? But take that with a grain, everyone's hair is different.

If you are personally questioning your routine, then I would suggest just switching it up with some stuff that might be more gentle, just to see if your hair likes it.

My hair was greasy/tangled with I first went no poo. It still gets that way from time to time if I take too much time between washes. It just sneaks up on you! I thought for a while that I could never give up my soapy shampoos. Now I'm so glad I gradually experimented until I found something that works (even though I still try a shampoo from time to time). My hair is so shiny and healthy, and not greasy at all.

The oils can be tricky. Some love coconut, but it was just too heavy for mine. If you get an oil and it just wont work, hey, you've got some great oil for skin and cooking. It's really a trial and error thing, but it's very possible if you are interested.

ravenreed
September 8th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I found aloe vera gel much more damaging than hair spray.

I don't think your routine sounds bad at all! :) I just maybe wouldn't use the hairspray... people say aloe vera gel (which is good for you hair) in a squirt bottle can act as a good replacement. I am a frequent washer too, and I have to use cones! You could always try switching your shampoo to a more natural one considering you wash so often and just use sls to clarify your hair once in awhile if you get buildup from your john frieda. My hair gets oily/greasy very quickly however I oil my hair and it feels the benefits!
You could oil your hair before you braid or bun it at night, if you are going to be washing your hair in the morning any way. This works for me and I also have straight fine hair. :)

Good luck growing to waist you will be there soon I am sure.

Ashlbee
September 9th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Hmmm, so many things to consider! I'm almost out of the John Frieda I'm using, but I have another new tube of shampoo and conditioner. I'm debating between using it up or trying something new and keeping it on reserve.

Suggestions for a good, non drying daily shampoo and conditioner combo? Or even a CO conditioner?

Ashlbee
September 9th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Also, the JF blonde products aren't actually color stripping like a bleach or peroxide right? I certainly don't want damage! Aside from oil problems, my hair actually feels very smooth and silkly. I'd just switched from using Suave shampoo and conditioner and it made my hair a tangled mess!

Ashlbee
September 9th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Hmmm, maybe I'll make a thread asking about this!