PDA

View Full Version : Growing out a pxiecut? It's time for things to get AWKWARD.

PossibleMermaid
September 5th, 2012, 01:27 PM
So I have IMPOSSIBLE hair. If I had been growing up in the eighties I would have been the coolest girl in school. My mom and sister both have super thin, pin straight hair, so naturally I was raised trying to style my think, frizzy, curly hair the same way. After years of struggling with my imposso-hair I gave in a chopped it down to a pixie. I LOVED it. I've had it for almost two years now and it's the best thing I've ever done to my hair. But I do miss being able to do things with it. I've decided to try growing it out and instead of fighting the curl, accepting it. Any thoughts or tips on how to get motivated and not turn back into a triangle-head when it starts growing out?

akilina
September 5th, 2012, 01:30 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405&highlight=shorties

Here is a good thread for you :D

spidermom
September 5th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Regular small trims to re-shape kept me on the growing path.

joflakes
September 5th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Trimming the mullet off helped me out! Definitely get onto the Super-shorties thread. We don't bite :D

oktobergoud
September 5th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Trimming the mullet off helped me out! Definitely get onto the Super-shorties thread. We don't bite :D

Yesss, come to us, the dark side! We have cookies :D Or something :P

PossibleMermaid
September 5th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Just posted over there, haha!

browneyedsusan
September 5th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I'm bucking conventional wisdom and riding out the mullet. It's really, really awkward right now, but I hope when it's longer, it will just look like long layers. I'll make a decision to get the ends beautified when it's long enough to --mostly--hang down my back.

I pin up everything in front of my ears every day.

HEY未来
September 5th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I bet I will be told I have a mullet soon!

Petrichos
September 5th, 2012, 05:31 PM
When I went from short hair that I tried to straighten to just accepting and growing out my curls, what helped a lot was learning to trim curly hair myself. Sounds kinda scary, but when I realized that the ladies at the salon had no clue how to accentuate my curls, I decided I could do a better job myself. My hair started looking so much better and I wanted it more and more.

KwaveT
September 5th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I have never done anything to mine either during the growing process. The back is shoulder plus. The sides are upper neck and bangs are very bottom of chin.

jojo
September 5th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Welcome! Sounds like your more a curly than a wavy, which would put you in the 3's.
Another thing to do is check for members with similar textured hair to yourself and try their routine.
Happy growing!!

coffinhert
September 5th, 2012, 09:49 PM
When your hair is drying and still damp, spend about an hour smoothing and finger-curling the individual ringlets. You can put a very small amount of oil on your fingertips to do this but not required. This helps cut down frizz enormously and will train your curls/waves into ringlets as your hair grows out. Good luck!

tiny squirrel
September 5th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Regular small trims to re-shape kept me on the growing path.

Hear, hear! I'm at APL+ right now grown out from a sharply angled and stacked bob. My bestie grew out her pixie along with me. re-shaping is the key! I found a good stylist who understood my goal and trusted her to take what length was needed. I sacrificed length for a better shape MANY times. It's taken much more time to grow, but I was happier with my hair on a daily basis because of the many trims/cuts. Good luck getting over the hump. I know how it is!

RubyTuesday
September 6th, 2012, 04:07 AM
I have had to trim my mullet a couple of times but have decided that I am not going to trim any more. I am going to just grow grow grow now that my sides are getting a bit longer. My front is still quite short. My hairdresser cut it to about half an inch originally! What was she thinking!

I think you just have to evaluate your hair as you grow it. Some people can get away with not cutting and it looks tousled and sort of cool. Others just look a mess and need it shaped to avoid the scarecrow look.

You may find that you just have to pin it up a lot until it gets to your shoulders.

ClodaghO
September 6th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Grow with me through the curly awkwardness! I just started in the last month or so

Louise148
September 6th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I've been growing out a pixie since march and I currently have a mullet and a sort of strange helmet look at the sides as it has just reached my earlobes. I have been sitting it out so far but have decided to go for a little tidy-up at the end of sept. I have a very good hairdresser who understands the concept of micro-micro-trims so I trust she won't go mad. I'm not cutting the mullet completely off I am just going to have it tidied up a little so it blends a bit better with my helmet sides.

spirals
September 6th, 2012, 10:38 AM
When I was growing out from short, small combs and headbands were my friends.

PinkyCat
September 6th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Oh my dear! I know growing out the curly pixie very well! My mother and grandmother had no CLUE how to deal with my curls when I was little - so they kept them super short until I was about 12-ish. I remember the awkward hair stages, horrible skin & raging emotions and hormones like it was yesterday! :rolleyes:

Boy do I wish I had TLHC back then. You are going to have amazing support and tips and techniques and milestone celebrations. You are going to have a great time growing out here. :cheese:

But I would love to share some of my personal tale of woe - this WAS the late 80's mind you. First stage was a curly mullet. I mean true-blue mully-mullet. Then I decided to try and grow the sides out and keep the top short. So I perpetually pinned the sides back with a barrette on each side of my head, until they were long enough to "hang" and not "protrude". Then, finally, I began growing my bangs out at about age 15. It. Was. Hard. I was a serious ugly duckling kid, and boy did NOBODY around me know anything about curly hair. I would brush and spray and blowfry. Have you seen Gene Simmons lately? Yeah that's kind of what I looked like. Black, frizzy, puffy, cottony fluff.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBsc1bOaMY-8jUbQOjP51eMkYuQkJB5kbkH3AN7V93b3UFOOOA

I have awesome blackmail photos of ALL of these horrible stages - if any of you are interested in an epic belly-laugh :p. Perhaps I'll make a new thread about grow-out stages.

You will do awesome though. :) Feel free to ask me anything, I would love to help you avoid any of the trauma I went through!

Jorja
September 6th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I have awesome blackmail photos of ALL of these horrible stages - if any of you are interested in an epic belly-laugh :p. Perhaps I'll make a new thread about grow-out stages.
!

/gets comfy with a nice coffee and waits patiently ......:stirpot:

RubyTuesday
September 6th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I have awesome blackmail photos of ALL of these horrible stages - if any of you are interested in an epic belly-laugh . Perhaps I'll make a new thread about grow-out stages.

Show show show!!! I won't laugh I promise (stuffs fist in mouth ;))

Mya
September 6th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Triangle-head is cool. Embrace the triangle.

PossibleMermaid
September 6th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I have to find this one picture for you guys. My hair was a little past BSL, I guess, and it was Christmas eve my Freshman year of highschool. It LITERALLY extends a good three or four inches past my shoulders on either side.

BlazingHeart
September 7th, 2012, 12:42 AM
When your hair starts to get mullet-y, you don't have to cut it or suffer just walking around looking mullet-y. WWII-era styles are actually designed for exactly that sort of cut - where every hair on your head is about 5"-7" long. So you can do victory rolls and all sorts of other things. The fashionable women of that era all wore their hair with a mullet-y cut that they styled all the time.

~Blaze

hairhair
September 7th, 2012, 01:46 AM
To avoid triangle heads, I'd suggest silicone-free conditioner; it doesn't work for everyone but could be something to try as it worked for me.

When I used to have hair at about your length, I didn't really think about it that much. oktobergoud, however, has done some amazing braids in quite short hair (see her signature).

Once it gets down to shoulder-ish, you could start looking into things like Flexi-8s.

Good luck! :)

PinkyCat
September 7th, 2012, 03:26 AM
To avoid triangle heads, I'd suggest silicone-free conditioner

Triangle head is a result of cut - not product.

At shoulder length to APL, curly hair that is all one length & a straight across hemline, creates a triangle. To avoid this, do a deep U or V hemline like mine - I would avoid layers if you plan on doing braids or updos.

browneyedsusan
September 7th, 2012, 05:49 AM
When your hair starts to get mullet-y, you don't have to cut it or suffer just walking around looking mullet-y. WWII-era styles are actually designed for exactly that sort of cut - where every hair on your head is about 5"-7" long. So you can do victory rolls and all sorts of other things. The fashionable women of that era all wore their hair with a mullet-y cut that they styled all the time.

~Blaze

:joy:

*scampers off for tutes*

march_sun
September 7th, 2012, 05:57 AM
for some reason I didn't cut the mullet off. It was very awkward looking for a few months. headbands were my best friend! I've made it past the awkward stage now :)

BlueRabbit
April 7th, 2014, 11:17 PM
Hang in there, all you with short hair! I chopped off the mullet and even kept an a-line for a while on the way out. There ARE fashionable haircut stops for each stage in your growth.

flemeister
April 8th, 2014, 02:24 AM
I'm bucking conventional wisdom and riding out the mullet. It's really, really awkward right now, but I hope when it's longer, it will just look like long layers. I'll make a decision to get the ends beautified when it's long enough to --mostly--hang down my back.
That's pretty much what I've done for the past two years. :)

April 2012 --> April 2014. No trims. I guess having wavy/wurly hair helps it look decent. Only want to start micro-trimming once it gets to MBL or even WL.

http://s6.postimg.org/5kf4e2hvx/DSC01466b.jpg (http://s6.postimg.org/w5hn9mk9d/DSC01466b.jpg)http://s6.postimg.org/wwadfemml/DSC02355b.jpg (http://s6.postimg.org/6b7ujuk9d/DSC02355b.jpg)

My first six months or so were pretty easy, with it becoming a decent looking shag near the end. Just enough hair to come down to my eyebrows and over my ears, and a little hanging over my collar. Not too bad. After that though, mostly awkward stages including helmet mode October 2013. :o

http://s6.postimg.org/fxbslnez1/DSC01915a.jpg (http://s6.postimg.org/hcddadg29/DSC01915a.jpg)http://s6.postimg.org/4aw9y9h1p/DSC01877a.jpg (http://s6.postimg.org/6fgmzcioh/DSC01877a.jpg)

Of the Fae
April 8th, 2014, 04:11 AM
I actually regret cutting my mullet last month, because it is harder to put it up now, even though it looks nice and even.. sigh

Of the Fae
April 8th, 2014, 04:13 AM
Grab on to every bit of length you have XD