PDA

View Full Version : Things you bought for your hair...

Suze2012
September 5th, 2012, 01:08 PM
...and have ended up using for other things entirely...

I'm pretty new to LHC and only 4 months into co washing..and I've had a few trials and a few errors! :D

In the co washing thread I just totted up how much my monthly spend is since joining here and it's quite a difference to my unhappy pre-LHC hair..and I now have much happier hair! :D

I totted up everything I bought as well as the things which don't work for my hair.

However, Along the way..and thinking about it I have only really had one failure purchase which I am not even sure is a total failure yet as I haven't tried it again recently. My total fail was Tresemme Naturals as it dried my hair out for co washing.
I haven't yet tried it as a moisturiser for my skin though........

My fails for my hair were Aloe Vera Gel - my hair doesn't like it but I'm running really low on my expensive anti-oil make up primer so have been trying it as a replacement this week and it's not too bad to be honest.

My coconut oil was a fail on dry hair but amazing for a deep treat...and I also use it to get my eye make up off and whip a tiny amount over my face to get my foundation off followed by sls free soap.
I also use coconut oil for my nails and my skin..and I deep treat my feet with it mixed with salt to help any hard skin patches from walking everywhere.

I did actually buy honey to cleanse my face with but I'm almost out of it now so just use it if a spot crops up. It's gone a little crystalized too and I don't like washing with it now but may well buy a new pot.

I got grapeseed oil - not good on my hair when dry - but it's good for make up removal too and would probably be ok for a deep treat for hair.

I thought I had bought a cone free condish that was a fail- L'Oreal - my hair didn't seem to like it - but a couple of months later I tried it as a leave in and my hair now loves it!

Do you try what you get for your hair for different things if they don't work for your hair?

What have you found is good for other stuff..either instead of being any good for your hair or as well as?

teal
September 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I put coconut oil in the pan when I make French toast. Yum! :yumm:

ptricia
September 5th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I bought liquid allepo soap to use as shampoo, but my hair was very greasy after washing with this shampoo. Now I use it for my body.

Suze2012
September 5th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I have wondered what coconut oil on toast might be like....I also have some at work for hand cream and I want to eat my hands when I use it..I always have to breathe it in.........

Allepo soap? Never heard of it...sounds good for skin though! :)

Tota
September 5th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I initially started buying coconut oil for my hair. Along the way I started using it for baking and cooking and now it's the only oil I use for that puprpose (I use EVOO for salad dressings).

I CO. At the beginning I bought a huge amount of different conditioners because I didn't know which one works and which one doesn't. I now use the "bad" ones for shaving my legs.

I bought white vinegar for vinegar rinses because I was afraid that ACV might stain my relatively light hair. I now also use it instead of fabric softener.

I also bought argan oil for my dry ends. It didn't work that great but it works amazing as body oil. It's especially good for my legs after I shave them because it soothes the skin and I get absolutely no redness if I use it.

I also use EVOO on my face and my body. It works better than any other body lotion or cream I ever had.

ETA: I also started using ACV as a facial toner. Best. Decision. Ever.

Vampyria
September 5th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I use Aubrey Honeysuckle conditioner mostly for shaving and deep treatments now, since my hair is not that dry anymore and it feels coated if I use it after washing.

I also use coconut oil for cooking and baking and for dry skin care. I still use it for hair though. The same with avocado oil, which I also use for salads and face masks, although I bought it especially for hair.

And I used shampoo that wasn't really good for my scalp as a shower gel.

Green clay was bought for clarifying hair and I use it for the face also.

HEY未来
September 5th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I use castor oil twice a week as a deep treatment. It's mixed with grapeseed oil to make it less thick. Also, I CO and on my face I use baking soda and lemon juice twice a week for exfoliation. I like to do head massages and stuff. I am really enjoying the pampering.

Clytemnestra
September 5th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I just bought a Goat's Milk & Honey shampoo bar, tried it a couple times and I'm not really digging it, my hair just felt all waxy and coated, even with a vinegar rinse. And I shed like crazy, too. To be fair, I read you need to give the bars a good amount of time for your hair to adjust, but as I only shampoo maybe once a week (at most) around my regular CO's, I think I am going to just use it up as a body bar.

I might have to rethink the Aubrey Organics condish as well, could put it in an SMT, hmmm...I went and bought some Shea Moisture shampoo today, so may end up trying their conditioner. I've been doing a lot of experimenting in my efforts to go natural, I'll get there yet.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 5th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I bought a conditioner which I didn't really like, so put it into my liquid soap dispenser instead, works fine as a soap.

anastasiya
September 5th, 2012, 08:57 PM
anyone here tried argan oil?

ptricia
September 8th, 2012, 12:30 PM
anyone here tried argan oil?

My 3 favorite oils are unrefined macadamia oil (not the brand macadamia oil) babassu oil an argan oil. I can't tell which I like the most. Babassu oil is great during summer it is a lighter oil. I use argan oil during the winter and macadamia oil a well.

dwell_in_safety
September 8th, 2012, 12:43 PM
When I stopped using shampoo, I gradually used up the rest of the bottle I had cleaning my bathroom. It worked as well as any other bathroom cleaner. :D

czech it out
September 8th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I have wondered what coconut oil on toast might be like....

SO yummy! Especially on toasted cinnamon raisin bread mmm.