PDA

View Full Version : Growing out layers

Shanarana
August 9th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I decided to grow out my layers in my hair.....I liked them for a while as it seemed to enhance my curls, but as my hair gets longer it just doesn't seem to be working for me anymore. I am more focused right now on my hemline.

pariate
August 9th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I feel the same way about my layer Shanarana. I also want the added thickness that I'll have once my hair is all one length :agree:

spidermom
August 9th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Me too. I got long layers at BSL (2006). They really brought out the curl/wave and looked beautiful. But at around waist the bottom-most layer started to look scraggly to me. It took awhile, but I don't have layers in the back anymore. I like it better that way.

Shanarana
August 9th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I know that "scraggly" look at the bottom, and ended up trimming them off a couple weeks ago.

JessTheMess
August 9th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I have the scragglies right now, I keep going back and forth from wanting to chop it off to one even length, to just letting it grow. I keep S&Ding, but my ends still look and feel like velcro from the splits:(

jivete
August 9th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Growing out the layers here too (in the back anyways). My longest layer is actually pretty healthy, but with my thin hair, it tends to look straggly. I'm waiting until I get another inch or so before I start maintaining that length to bring everything together and then onward growth!

Shanarana
August 9th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I have the scragglies right now, I keep going back and forth from wanting to chop it off to one even length, to just letting it grow. I keep S&Ding, but my ends still look and feel like velcro from the splits:(

I went through the same thing for a couple of weeks until I felt I just had to.....wearing it down was starting to look bad to me.

JessTheMess
August 9th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I'll probably end up cutting it to the shortest layer :( I should have never got that shag cut. There are so many lengths and it just feels terrible through out the whole head, especially since I got all of the cones out of it. When I run my fingers through, no matter what there is around 6 inches from the hem that get tangled :( I'm gonna do the LHC 2 week rule and if I still want to do it, we'll see :/

pariate
August 9th, 2008, 11:19 AM
IWhen I run my fingers through, no matter what there is around 6 inches from the hem that get tangled :( I'm gonna do the LHC 2 week rule and if I still want to do it, we'll see :/

Hi Jess

I'm sorry you're so fed up :flower: My hair has been quite ratty recently, until I got back into my "magic" routine. When my hair feels tangled like that it usually indicates either that it needs clarifying or it needs more conditioning/protection. The AGO mix I've been boring everyone with helped enormously - my hair is slippy and silky, where before it felt matted, dry and tangled whenever I touched it.

Maybe you could try a few different techniques from the boards here? Give me a yell if you want some pointers and I'll put you on to some useful threads :)

skay
August 9th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I can also relate to growing out layers.

I enjoyed them for a little while as they seemed to add "shape" to my hair.

I later then had the layers cut and it feels good as of now.

A benefit for me: Since my hair is one length, I feel my hair is as long as it looks.

In other words, before with layers, the back was long but the front was short and I felt I had shortish hair overall (because I couldn't see the long hair in the back).

Now I can see the true length much more easily.

It's probably a psychological thing, but it works for me. :)

Sidani
August 9th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I know where you're coming from growing out layers, but I actually miss my layers a lot of the time. My hair was waist length with long layers and I loved it. Here's the front view: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=5385&albumid=525&dl=1209784218&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=525&pictureid=5385) and the back: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=5463&albumid=525&dl=1209784218&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=525&pictureid=5463) These shots were taken in '06 and my hair is all one length now, except for my bangs. It's also quite a bit thinner due to being sick.

Sidani
August 9th, 2008, 11:59 AM
A benefit for me: Since my hair is one length, I feel my hair is as long as it looks.

In other words, before with layers, the back was long but the front was short and I felt I had shortish hair overall (because I couldn't see the long hair in the back).

After re-reading my post and looking at my photos, I realize that I must feel the same way as you do, skay, about the length. I can see in the back shot that my hair was well past waist length, but the front wasn't and I thought of my hair as being waist length at that time because I couldn't see the length in the back. I never realized this before. Thanks for the insight. :flower:

pariate
August 9th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I probably wouldn't mind if there was less difference in length between my layers. My hair is only just past BSL and the layer is about 1.5"-2" shorter. It feels like a huge difference!

Hmmm... Maybe I don't want to get rid of my layer altogether. Perhaps I just want a longer layer after all!

Nevermore
August 9th, 2008, 04:17 PM
A benefit for me:[/B] Since my hair is one length, I feel my hair is as long as it looks.

That's one of my motivations for growing out mine. While they do enhance the curl, my hair feels much shorter than it is. If it was all one length, I'd have an almost-hip length hair visible to me all the time when it's down. As it is, my shortest "layers" are collarbone length and the real length is in the back.

xrosiex
August 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I've been growing out my layers for 14 months. It gets really hard. But I just do dustings. I just cant seem to part with much length. I really need more growth.:)

pariate
August 9th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I am vowing not to trim again for six months. I'll do the odd S&D, but NO TRIMS. I'm hoping it will force me to focus on general care/maintenance rather than treating it quite roughly and then removing the damage with scissors... I can be verrrrrrrrrrrrry lazy and neglectful of my hair :shudder: