PDA

View Full Version : Does (chemical) hair dying change hair texture?

eros
September 5th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I tried to use the search option and it wouldn't load, just kept going endlessly.
Anyway, I'd like to get finer/shinier hair. Will dying my hair with a mild semi permanent dye change the texture?

Oh and I've used henna for about a year now, but it's not exactly making my hair feel finer/shinier.

elea
September 5th, 2012, 10:02 AM
my hair is thicker and the curls are more manageable dyed.

stew
September 5th, 2012, 11:53 AM
i found that chemical dye often made my hair slightly straighter, but that could just be my hair.

maborosi
September 5th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Hmm, that's interesting, though I guess everyone's experiences with henna are different. It's definitely the dye of choice if you want shiny hair.

I'm not sure about semi-permanent dyes, but I know that dyeing my hair for years affected the thickness of it (I'm probably an M but my constant dyeing made my hair closer to F and F/M) and it wasn't in the best shape.

Some deposit-only dyes, like Manic Panic, are really conditioning for the hair, and if left on for a long time, really give the hair a good conditioning and leave it soft and shiny.

~maborosi~

spidermom
September 5th, 2012, 12:17 PM
For shine, seconding Manic Panic type dyes. My favorite is Punky by Jerome Russell (brand). It deposited richer color and lasted longer.

But I really don't know of anything that will make hair finer.

akilina
September 5th, 2012, 12:27 PM
For shine, seconding Manic Panic type dyes. My favorite is Punky by Jerome Russell (brand). It deposited richer color and lasted longer.

But I really don't know of anything that will make hair finer.
Yess I love this brand! I haven't seen it anywhere since I was 14 but I loved the blue black.
I noticed that my hair was horrible feeling when I used henna.
I recently went thru a bout with color oops and started using chemical color again. I am so happy I did. My hair is so smooth and sleek using chemical dye. I just use demi permanent. Not sure if using color on your henna would really help. I would think that getting some of the henna out would help more.

Montage
September 5th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Chemical dye tends to plump up the hairshaft as it never lies completely flat once it has been opened by the chemical dye (to deposit the colour). This has the effect of creating volume.

MonaMayfair
September 5th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Chemical dye tends to plump up the hairshaft as it never lies completely flat once it has been opened by the chemical dye (to deposit the colour). This has the effect of creating volume.

Yes, peroxide will make it feel thicker.
Henna didn't make my hair shiny either, quite the reverse. It was shinier and smoother in its natural state even though it was blonde and darker hair usually looks shinier. Henna did make it feel thicker though.

kittengirl
September 5th, 2012, 01:26 PM
My hair got thinner and more breakable when I dyed it. I hated it and will never do it again.

eros
September 5th, 2012, 01:59 PM
So, will using a semi permanent dye make my hair less frizzy? By the way whats the difference between demi/semi permanent and just a normal permanent?

Pigfarts
September 5th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I use funky colors a lot. The semi-permanent colors from Manic Panic etc, are essentially a tint. They just sit over your original hair color. So if you hair is dark, light semi permanents won't show.

My favorite brands are Special Effects hair dye (have to get it online), and Punky by Jerome Russel (at Ultas)

Manic Panic fades pretty fast. And don't even bother with Beyond the Zone.

Special Effects and Punky act as a conditioner for me. They're vegetable dyes.

kitten1986
September 5th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I dyed my hair with chemical permanent and semi permanent dye for many years, I actually had no idea what my natural colour or texture were
With the dye, it was much more porous and dry and fly away and boofy (due to the plumping of the shaft)
It was shinier and smoother for about a week following the dye application, but I think that had more to do with the coney conditioner that is supplied with the dye.

I have about an inch of dyed hair at the bottom and the rest is natural and TBH my natural hair is MUCH easier to manage (and it turns out I love my natural colour... even the little sparkles scattered amongst it!) cant wait to see my HD and get the last of it chopped off!

I definitely think that if you are going to give it a go, go for a colour deposit semi permanent and see how you go, at least it will wash out eventually

eros
September 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I don't want to dye it for the color, heck I might just dye it my own color, but I was only wondering if itd change the texture or anything. that's the only reason I want to do it. I keep reading mixed stuff on the texture. Some people get really dry and damaged hair, some get shinier/smoother hair.