PDA

View Full Version : Good Oils For Fine Hair

xltorresx
September 4th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Ok I've been using coconut oil for a while now and I'm not sure its doing any good. Could this be because my hair is fine or maybe my hair just doesn't like it too much?

For those who have fine hair, what works well for you? :)

Sarahlabyrinth
September 5th, 2012, 02:03 AM
I am enjoying Sweet Almond oil at the moment, it is lighter than coconut oil. I think my hair prefers it.

MeowScat
September 5th, 2012, 02:40 AM
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, my fine hair is so picky.

Mineral / Baby Oil works well for me on damp hair. I only need 2 - 3 drops. The first time I tried it I used 20 drops...big mistake! I looked like I swam in an oil spill. It really helps with tangles and sealing moisture in. I use Johnson's Baby Oil and even a small bottle will last a long time since you only need a tiny bit on your length or ends.

afu
September 5th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Im another fan of sweet almond oil :)

millyaulait
September 5th, 2012, 06:01 AM
I find Camelia oil really nice & light, it absorbs well. :)

*Rose Red*
September 5th, 2012, 06:33 AM
at the moment I am a big fan of the NuStyle Organic Serum from Aubrey Organics, it´s a mix of oils, and makes my hair very smoothie.

Natalia
September 5th, 2012, 06:33 AM
ive found grapseed very nice gives me more shine than most oils. Typical coconut oil didnt work well for me as a daily oil but since i finally sucked it up and bought some monoi its a different world my hair reacts totally differently and im in loooove! As long as i only use it on my hair its not cost prohibitive but man its hard when it smels so good!

Lilli
September 5th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I like jojoba oil and mineral oil. Camellia oil doesn't seem to soak in for me and actually got kind of sticky. Coconut oil is too much for my hair and requires so much washing to get it out that it ends up drier than when I started!

PolarCathy
September 5th, 2012, 06:58 AM
My hair is not very fine, but I've tried lots of oils and I already recommended to many of my friends apricot kernel oil as (by far) the lightest oil I've seen/tried.

So far only good news got back to me.

wendyg
September 5th, 2012, 06:59 AM
I prefer macadamia nut oil, but it's not easy to find.

wg

bunnylake
September 5th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Argan oil is lighter I think, and so is camellia and jojoba. I really like amla oil, too.

sharonluvscats
September 5th, 2012, 08:26 AM
My favorite so far is jojoba oil even if I put in too much by mistake it absorbs pretty well. My hair hates coconut oil. It weights it down and makes it look damaged.

vanillabones
September 5th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I too really like jojoba oil, but I haven't tried many. I think I will go with sweet almond oil next, a lot of fine-haired people like it a lot.

HairySherry
September 5th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Coconut oil was the first oil I purchased for my hair when I first started to get into all of this (I'm sure that's the case for most people). I figured I wasn't doing something right because no matter how much or how little I put in my hair, my hair got crunchy. Turns out that coconut oil just does not work for me by itself. I have had better luck mixing other oils into it and putting that on my hair, and I also use it in my castor oil treatments. But straight coconut oil, nope, doesn't work for me. I do like jojoba (sparingly) and I have a cheapie "fake" argan oil that is really nice, that I got from Sally's. I'd also like to try camellia oil as a lot of finer-haired ladies have recommended it, but I need to get through the other 3 bottles of oil I have first. :) I thought I'd read somewhere that SAO was a bit heavier than some other oils, but I could be wrong about that.

lapushka
September 5th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I love either a serum (IC Fantasia, Chi Silk Infusion), or a few drops of mineral oil after washing (on damp, toweldry, hair).

Demi-Plum
September 5th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I use coconut oil in the shower when I shampoo my hair. I wet my hair and rub a little on the length to protect it from the drying shampoo. It washes it away without killing my hair. Outside after my shower I use about a pinky nails worth of argan oil. I love the smell of it and what's left on my hands I rub into my face. It softens up the skin almost instantly and my hands are always smooth after use too!

RubyTuesday
September 5th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I have fine hair - in fact I used to think I had thick hair because I have a lot of it! You live and learn...
I have problems with coconut oil too. I can use it for a heavy pre-wash oiling but not as a leave in.

I found Argan oil good as a leave in and I have tried almond oil as well and can only say that it seemed pretty good but you only need a tiny tiny bit! Also you may want to try jojoba, that is quite good.

I really want to try monoi oil and will also be trying mineral oil at some point.

If I were to choose just one I would go with Argan oil everytime.

stew
September 5th, 2012, 11:58 AM
my hair DESPISES coconut oil. i've tried it so many times, just a few drops while my hair is still wet after a shower, and it makes my entire head look like it was dipped in a vat of grease. :shrug:

i'm not entirely sure of the coarseness of my hair - but the only oils that work for me on a regular basis are jojoba oil, apricot oil (which is almost never mentioned on here!), and occasionally, sweet almond oil. they're all pretty light.

xltorresx
September 5th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I used to use jojoba oil but I only tried it as a deep treatment. Ill try using it as a leave in and I also think ill give sweet almond oil a try too. Im excited! :D lol. Thanks ladies x

anastasiya
September 5th, 2012, 03:25 PM
how do you use the almond oil? on wet or dry hair? im new to this and dont know when to use the oils. thx in advance

Sarahlabyrinth
September 5th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I use it as an oil treatment on dry hair, Just put it on hair and scalp about an hour before I wash it.(Enough to make the hair look horribly greasy all over) About 15 mins before I wash my hair I cover the oiled hair with a layer of conditioner stroked through.

I then wash and condition my hair, then put a deep conditioner on it, let it sit while I do other shower necessities, then rinse.

Before my hair is fully dry I take 2 - 3 drops of sweet almond oil and stroke it on / through my hair, just from ear level downwards concentrating on the ends. Sometimes I will use 2- 3 drops of mineral oil instead of the SAO for this last step.

Hope this helps.

In2wishin
September 5th, 2012, 03:34 PM
My hair prefers argan oil (the pure oil, not the hair treatments with argan oil like Moroccan Oil)

jillosity
September 5th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Coconut works well for me, but works best when my hair is wet and I use just the smallest dab. I like the smell too much to try anything else ;)

Tota
September 5th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I use EVOO or argan oil on dry hair (a few drops). EVOO works better for me, argan oil is too light.

torrilin
September 5th, 2012, 05:55 PM
None.

I *can* use coconut oil, but it's very easy to over oil my hair. With solid coconut oil, I scrape the tiniest amount I can off the mass, smear it over my palms into a thin film, and then smooth it over a braid. That takes 1-3 days to absorb. No joke.

Jojoba I can't get to dispense in a small enough quantity. My hair slurps up olive oil sort of, in that it absorbs somewhat faster than coconut, but quantity is a real issue.

So at this point I'm off oils completely, and I use conditioner. My two favorites are Alba Botanica's Leave In conditioner, and Alaffia's Everyday Shea conditioner. But historically almost any conditioner has worked as a leave in for me.

stew
September 5th, 2012, 09:36 PM
how do you use the almond oil? on wet or dry hair? im new to this and dont know when to use the oils. thx in advance

i generally dry my hair with a cotton t-shirt to soak up excess water and then put 2-3 drops of almond oil in my palm and rub them together before combing through my damp hair. if i apply oil to dry hair, it doesn't absorb at all and just sits on top looking greasy. but it varies between hair types i think.

pepperminttea
September 5th, 2012, 09:49 PM
For a leave-in, I love NightBlooming's Triple Moon oil blend. It's one of the very few parts of my routine that has remained the same since I discovered it. I admit, when I read someone saying no oils work for them, I find myself wondering if they've tried it. 2-3 drops of it and my hair shines like nothing else.

For heavy pre-wash oilings, I usually go with EVOO.

snowcloud
September 5th, 2012, 09:52 PM
For your type of hair.. Sweet Almond Oil is hands down the best leave-in conditioner oil you can use. It's very light and silky with a non-greasy finish..

Coconut Oil is a beautiful oil, but the unique combo fatty acids in coconut make it kinda heavy for finer hair types.

Apricot Kernel and Cherry Kernel are also excellent choices.

maborosi
September 5th, 2012, 09:55 PM
For a leave-in, I love NightBlooming's Triple Moon oil blend. It's one of the very few parts of my routine that has remained the same since I discovered it. I admit, when I read someone saying no oils work for them, I find myself wondering if they've tried it. 2-3 drops of it and my hair shines like nothing else.

For heavy pre-wash oilings, I usually go with EVOO.

I don't have super fine hair, but this. I typically don't use it much these days, though, (mostly because I'm in love with her Panacea salves and usually use those instead) it's the oil that I use when I do oil my hair. It's excellent and not heavy unless you overdo it. I find about 4 drops is sufficient for my whole head. Also, it is amazing as an oil to strengthen the fingernails!

~maborosi~

Wildcat Diva
September 5th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I have found walnut oil to be very light, and my hair absorbs it easily. I like it a lot!

Lilli
September 6th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Oh yeah, argan oil is good for my hair, too. Argan, jojoba, mineral.

Indigo Girl
September 6th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I use jojoba and sweet almond oil, regularly. Jojoba I've used for years, it's my go-to oil. Sweet almond oil I just started using about 6 months ago, and I really like it. It's also very light.

Coconut oil is too heavy for my hair for regular use; but I do add it to my cassia mixture.

starlamelissa
September 7th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I am all about mineral oil over here. my hair is fine and thick.

catamonica
September 8th, 2012, 09:40 AM
My hair is fine to.I use olive oil & water in a spray bottle. Before I shampoo. I added olive oil & two capfuls to my shampoo & conditioner. Just enough to make it soft. I also added three capfuls of Aloe Vera Gel to my conditioner. The Aloe Vera makes your hair really soft.

jacqueline101
September 8th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I like argan cocoa nut and a mixture of oils.

Petrichos
September 8th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I tried coconut oil, it wasn't so bad it just wouldn't wash out with my no shampoo routine. My skin loves it though, especially in the winter when the wind makes my face all chapped and flaky.

I was in wal-mart and saw a thing of grape seed oil for 3 dollars, so I snatched it up. It seemed too cheap, but I figured I could at least cook with it if my hair didn't like it. Well, I used a little bit and it already seemed so much better for my hair than the coconut oil. I can't wait to see if my face likes it, and if it will wash out better if I put a lot in it. I put a tiny bit on my hair while dry and it soaked it up so well and was so shiny, then got a little greasy because I had used only water and a little acv to wash for the past few days.

I'll have to try that kernal oil I saw recommended, as it seems my hair really likes the lighter oils.

MinderMutsig
September 8th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I only use coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment and leave it on for 30 min. to overnight. Post-wash I prefer argan oil and sweet almond oil although I'm experimenting with oil mixes. Right now I have a small jar with 60 % argan oil and 40% coconut oil with some lavender EO. I've only used it once so it's too soon to pass a verdict.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 8th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I am wondering if I could add a little SAO to my conditioner for the final conditioning in the shower -- has anyone tried this?

MinderMutsig
September 8th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I am wondering if I could add a little SAO to my conditioner for the final conditioning in the shower -- has anyone tried this?You could but I think it's easier to control how much oil you use and where it goes if you apply it afterwards. The hair near my scalp for instance doesn't need nearly as much oil as my ends.

MsBubbles
September 8th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Some of them worked for a few days but then that was it! But the one that seems to be working for me again is jojoba oil. I have found that my tap water makes my hair crunchy though, so the oil works better if I mix it with a bit of distilled water.

Otherwise I have stashes of coconut oil, mineral oil and shea butter that I am using for other stuff! My leg skin is so shiny these days :-D.

Thanks for starting this thread. It's kind of upsetting to keep buying oils that don't work.

rosance
September 17th, 2012, 01:10 AM
I would have to say Argan Oil. It is light and it is not as difficult to handle as the coconut oil. With coconut oil, you have to be careful on fine hair because it can easily be weight down, not with argan oil! I use the one from Dermorganic. :D

catamonica
September 17th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I use olive oil. I put two capfuls each in my shampoo & conditioner. It's a good oil.

Mischamiu
September 17th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Coconut is perfect for me, olive is a little bit heavy but you could use it as a pre-wash treatment :D Sweet almond and argan (prewash) are also nice but avocado is too heavy

IvanaGil
September 17th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Sweet almond oil is my favorite and seems to make my hair super soft. My hair didn't agree with coconut either

Synthemesc
September 17th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I love EVOO pre-wash, and coconut oil as a leave in was alright but not amazing. I was about to order some jojoba oil but after reading this I think I'm going to give sweet almond a go.

Milui Elenath
September 17th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I use EVOO it doesn't matter that my hair is fine what matters is that my hair is dry - I can use most other oils but my skin and hair hate coconut oil.

It's a myth that with fine hair you'd need to use a light oil it really depends on your hairs porosity, oil and moisture levels. That's why I can use a heavy oil like olive while other fine hairs might need a light oil. I often wish LHC had a hair typing for oily/dry.

Bopoluchi
September 19th, 2012, 08:12 AM
i don't apply oil as a leave-in cos it makes my hair look stringy and heavy and attracts dust (although its quite likely that i use too much oil). rosewater, which is basically distilled water and rose essential oil, is something that i've had success with as a leave in, i just spray it on my hair, its very light and smells amazing.

Loviatar
September 19th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I like coconut, but my favourites are argan, camellia, monoi and for my scalp I love bhringraj oil (bhringraj herb infusion in sesame oil I think, it's by a company called Pukka).

I have recently started experimenting with mineral oil too.

teal
September 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I use coconut oil for heavy oilings. I have some jojoba but for some reason have not tried it in my hair. :hmm: I've been working through a bottle of Live Clean Argan Oil Treatment which is not pure oils. I put a dab in towel-dried hair as a detangler, and it works. Smells nice, too. I find it a little on the sticky side though - I'd much rather use straight oil.