PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing Monistat Stories

Asprettyasme
September 4th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Anyone else gets embarrassed when they go and purchase Monistat? :blushing: LOL

When I first heard about Monistat it was from this site, :confused: I had no clue what it was. When I heard about what it did for hair and read the threads I was sold! I was ready to buy it and I could not wait. I didn't care what it was. But when the day came to buy it I literally froze in embarrassment thinking about how people would look at me when they see I am purchasing yeast infection cream.

So I went to Target to buy Monistat but it was so crowded and I was mortified :bigeyes: and so I ran to the CVS across the street to buy it because I knew they had self check out but the Monistat was right near the darn register. Everyone in line and the workers was staring at it and I was just to scared so I walked out the CVS and went back to Target. When I got to Target I decided I would buy a couple of things I need to cover the Monistat in the basket. It was a brilliant plan and since Target had self check out lines this should be easy peasy lemon squeezy. I thought that Target had a self checkout line. So I grabbed the stuff I need happily and when I got to the Monistat aisle I would pretend to smell the Summer Eve vaginal soaps (Thats was my cover) and when I am smelling I would stare the hell at the Monistat :shocked: and then I would put it down and then pick up another and stare insanely again. Then once everyone left the aisle I threw two boxes of Monistat in my basket, covered it with one of the items I was going to purchase and rushed to the self check out line only to find their was not one. :sad

All the lines was crowded except this one line so I rushed their and as I put the basket down on the conveyor belt I felt so mortified. Since I thought Target had self check out I just threw anything in the basket that I had needed without a second thought and so my basket was full of soaps and Summer Eve vaginal soap (it smelled so good I wanted to give it a try LOL), bath brushes and I had some fishoil and Niacin and like this one pretty make up bag. It was so embarrassing. I could only imagine what the cashier was thinking. He probably thought I was so stinky and dirty "down there". I could not make eye contact with the guy at the register, I was just staring everywhere trying to avoid his facial expressions :uhh: LOL. I was so relieved when it was over.

So then the other day my Monistat is about to run out so I went to a CVS near my job to check out if they had the 4% Monistat, because I cannot find it anywhere. I was so happy to see that the Monistat was still in the front but wasn't near the register it was way over to the side where no one was at. I go to the aisle all eager that I can finally look at Monistat and its this super old lady just sitting facing the aisle and looking directly at me. :disgust: I don't know why she was sitting there but I felt so uncomfortable, I mean this lady was staring so damn hard i thought she was staring into my soul. I picked up the Summer eve as my cover once again but it was just to uncomfortable, I look like I am 12 so I could only imagine what would of ran through her head if I would of picked up one of the Monistats. so I just left, :run: I didn't even bother with it LOL. (Who convince CVS to put the Monistat in the front of the store anyways, shame on them! :rant: I hope I never need Monistat for its intended purposes because then that would be really mortifying) I really hope these two tubes that I still got last for forever because I do not feel like purchasing it again! lol

So do any of you girllies have embarrassing Monistat stories? Have anyone caught you using it for your hair and freaked out? LOL. Have you ever purchase it and had the cashier give you dirty looks or say something mortifying to you? Like "good luck" or "next time use a condom" or something totally embarrassing. LOL Tell your stories!! I would love to hear them and get a good chuckle out of all of them. Thank you.

*Please DO NOT ask any questions about Monistat! Please DO NOT say negative stuff about it or try to convince people not to use it :foot: . Don't ask what Monistat is or what it does for hair or how to apply it. This is not a thread about that. If you want to know about that information

here are two threads you can check out:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68526

Here is also a website:

http://suicidesevemonistat.blogspot.com/

Here is also two videos by Suicide Eve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0HIwdB5ak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4xqXaEsLbI

- Please be respectful. Thank you!*

jacqueline101
September 4th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I go to the Dollar General and get it the cashier looks at me like I'm diseased. Its embarrassing they don't understand us why we use it.

TheMechaGinger
September 4th, 2012, 09:13 PM
It bothers me that people think yeast infections are like STD's. Most people get yeast infections from being on antibiotics! Not because they're unclean in anyway. But I've had the same thing, I tried monistat for hair growth once and the cashier (who was a woman!) looked at me like I was super dirty. I wish that mindset would change

SandyStar
September 4th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Oh I remember trying Monistat lol.

At first I was a bit embarassed, but then I thought, what the heck, they must see people buying more embarassing things lol.

I'm not too embarassed to buy things like that anymore, unless it's a young guy at the cash, then it's kind of weird for me lol. But maybe they don't know what it is. LOL

I had to stop using it after a couple of weeks as it got way too expensive for me.

ahrph
September 4th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Haven't had a problem, for one of two reasons. One is that I don't care what other people think, peer pressure has never been an issue for me. Second is that I'm a pharmacist and I will be happy to educate anyone who may ask. I've recommended Monistat numerous times, and not just for vaginal yeast infections, but for any other yeasty type rashes. And I've had WAY more potentially embarrassing conversations in my profession.

lmfbs
September 4th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I don't think women should be embarrassed about their bodies, or medication for very, very common ailments. It's very sad that some women feel like they should be.

lastnite
September 4th, 2012, 09:32 PM
When I was your age I would of felt a little funny buying it, but to me it's along the same line as buying tampons and pads. took me awhile to feel comfortable even standing in that aisle and putting those things in my cart or basket. then I would have to get a female cashier cause I felt weird having a guy think I was on the rag lol :)

eventually as you get older you do grow not to care what others think, you just do what you have to do, especially for your hair's sake. if I ever see monistat on sale really cheap I'd have no problem now buying a bunch and carrying them right up to a male cashier. if anyone asks, I'd even say I'm going to use it on my head to make my hair grow..just to give them a laugh, and myself a chuckle because I'm being serious.

Asprettyasme
September 4th, 2012, 10:16 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

xltorresx
September 4th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I never felt embarrassed about buying it, and I bought it for what its actually made for lol. I don't really care what people think though.

xltorresx
September 4th, 2012, 10:34 PM
How effective is it for growth?

Kaelee
September 4th, 2012, 10:35 PM
I never felt embarrassed about buying it, and I bought it for what its actually made for lol. I don't really care what people think though.

Same here!

I have gotten things for free though, I think, because I bought sexy underwear and went to the checkout line with a young male cashier. He was so flustered when he saw the underwear I think he forgot to charge me for half the stuff! :D

SerinaDaith
September 4th, 2012, 10:42 PM
The first time I ever had an actual need for monistat was while I was pregnant and I had to get a prescription filled from my doctor,that was embarrassing. Buying it for my hair at a store is just no big for me anymore. The store sells it and I need/want it, if someone wants to judge me for buying it that is not my problem.

ETA: buy it at walgreens if they have them in your area, they have it tucked in the aisle with all the other lady stuff and the sexual health stuff too. I am sure monistat is not the weirdest thing that any cashier there has sold before.

xltorresx
September 4th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Haha I might try that one. Next time I'm buying lingerie ill go to young male cashier lol

Clem_Dela
September 4th, 2012, 11:01 PM
yeast infections are pretty common and i think if i happened to get one i'd be so frustrated that i'd buy all the monistat i needed and more without giving any f***s what the casheir thought :P probably look him dead in the eye and ask him about upcoming sales or something. Lol.

koala
September 4th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Well you're braver than me. I could never do it. I'm terribly awkward buying things for my period and still have my mom do it for me when I'm living at home and often leave it until the very last possible minute because it gives me such anxiety.

I don't even know how the Summer's Eve could be a cover up because I could never do that either.

I mean I'm awkward just buying toilet paper and I have to buy something with it. I asked my roommate once "What do you buy with your toilet paper?" And she had no idea what I was talking about. She said she just buys the toilet paper. I thought maybe a drink, but that would make the cashier think of bathrooms, so it's a challenge to find the most innocent and unrelated thing.

Asprettyasme
September 4th, 2012, 11:15 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

Asprettyasme
September 4th, 2012, 11:17 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

cwarren
September 4th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I've never bought Monistat, but I've bought other "embarrassing" items and rarely had a problem. I've only got a rude reaction twice and both times I put my mean face on and both times the cashier backed down and did their job.

Wow, I know that sounds evil, but it worked at the time :)

Asprettyasme
September 4th, 2012, 11:20 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

ColoradoDreamer
September 4th, 2012, 11:24 PM
I just don't care any more what people think of my purchases. It's not their business anyway. So, even when I needed Monistat for its intended purpose, I really didn't care what they thought. Now, when I was a teen, I would cringe at buying feminine products if a guy was a checker, but I got over that. No big deal.

Asprettyasme
September 4th, 2012, 11:29 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

cwarren
September 4th, 2012, 11:52 PM
No that doesn't sound evil. Mind explaining those both times and what was the items? LOL its okay if you don't. I am just being nosy. #nosy LOL

No, I don't mind :D

Both times I put my mean face on, I was buying AZO for urinary tract infections. Once for my friend (who wouldn't go to the store and buy it herself:rolleyes:) and once for myself. UTI's have a negative connotation of only occurring as an STD. While you can get it that way, you can also get it from simply being dehydrated or taking antibiotics.

The first time, a woman cashier gave me a questioning look that turned into disgust. I guess she thought I was going to turn away and look ashamed or something. But I raised my eyebrow and gave her a "say something" look and she looked away and continued to check out my other items without ever looking me in the eye.

The second time, it was an older woman who gave me a look that I took as "you should know better" :confused:. I didn't want to get cocky because she was an older woman, but I did raise my eyebrow, looked her dead in the eye and waited for her to say something outloud. Had she questioned me, I would have calmly offered an explanation (even though its none of her business), but she didn't say anything and continued to check out my other items without any more funny looks.

But I will say this, if any store clerk or cashier is rude to you about the items you are purchasing, just go to the manager. You should never feel embarrassed or ashamed of buying items offered in the store.

MinderMutsig
September 5th, 2012, 02:39 AM
LOL all of that is funny. No I am usually very calm and mature about buying pads and things in that nature. I openly talk about periods and I think its crazy people hide those things or are embarrassed about them because they are so natural and periods happen to all women. BUT when it comes down to "yeast infection" cream,, I didn't think I would be embarrassed but I was. I mean I just don't want people to think i have an itchy booty and I am not taking care of myself properly. LOL Thats just gross. yeast infections are not really natural.

It makes me feel silly thinking about Monistat and after I got home from the store I laugh so hard so its all in good nature. Its funny. What I was nervous about the most is that I didn't want to get up to the register squealing and squeaking like a little girl with excitement. Knowing me and my silly nature I probably would of hug the box of Monistat in the cashier face and just been like "you don't know how excited I am that I just bought this!! Oh yeaahh!! Booya!" He would of looked at me like I was a psycho child. But I was just so eager to buy the Monistat but I had to remind myself constantly that not many people know its used for hair and that's when I started siking myself out and making myself nervous LOL.
They really are though. Women get them for all kinds or reasons.
My 3 year old niece just got off a monistat-like cream for a yeast infection that she got from being on antibiotics.

Everyone carries around numerous yeasts and fungi and if your health isn't the best like from being sick, it's very easy for these yeasts to cause problems and infections. Both men and women carry yeasts around and both can get infections somewhere on their body on occasion. Some people are more prone to them but that has nothing to do with hygiene.

As for sex, yes, you can get it from sex, especially if you are susceptible to it. Usually because the guy you are having sex with carries yeasts on his privates too even though it might not bother him like it does most women. The solution? Both of you have to use monistat for as long as the box says. So it's not just a weird woman problem, it's a human problem. Just like colds.

I really don't see how anyone could be embarrassed to have a medical condition and being responsible enough to take care of it. Having a vaginal yeast infection is no more embarrassing than having athletes foot. In fact the effective ingredient in monistat (miconazole nitrate) is used to treat both. The only difference is in the delivery method. That guy at the register who might give you funny looks is probably applying the very same stuff to his toes on a daily basis.

DaniVerde
September 5th, 2012, 02:46 AM
My 3 year old niece just got off a monistat-like cream for a yeast infection that she got from being on antibiotics.

Everyone carries around numerous yeasts and fungi and if your health isn't the best like from being sick, it's very easy for these yeasts to cause problems and infections. Both men and women carry yeasts around and both can get infections somewhere on their body on occasion. Some people are more prone to them but that has nothing to do with hygiene.

As for sex, yes, you can get it from sex, especially if you are susceptible to it. Usually because the guy you are having sex with carries yeasts on his privates too even though it might not bother him like it does most women. The solution? Both of you have to use monistat for as long as the box says. So it's not just a weird woman problem, it's a human problem. Just like colds.

I really don't see how anyone could be embarrassed to have a medical condition and being responsible enough to take care of it. Having a vaginal yeast infection is no more embarrassing than having athletes foot. In fact the effective ingredient in monistat (miconazole nitrate) is used to treat both. The only difference is in the delivery method. That guy at the register who might give you funny looks is probably applying the very same stuff to his toes on a daily basis.

Thank you for writing this, MinderMutsig! You wrote what I didn't have the patience to type.

Frankly, Asprettyasme, I find your assumptions rather offensive, and I think you need to educate yourself a bit more about how the human body works before coming out with such blatantly untrue statements as "That's just gross. Yeast infections aren't natural". :rolleyes:

Bagginslover
September 5th, 2012, 04:46 AM
...... yeast infections are not really natural.......

Of course they're natural! Yeast is an organism, don't get much more naural than something thats alive ;) Unpleasent yes, but not at all unnatural.

Don't worry how people look at you, thats their problem, even if you were buying it for its intended purpose, its none of their bussiness, and if anyone working in the store dared to say anything, complain! Its their job to just ring up your items, not judge you on the contents of your basket ;)

minxe
September 5th, 2012, 05:00 AM
If it bothers you, why don't you buy it online instead? :)

Arakazi
September 5th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Well said MinderMutsig and DaniVerde. I completely agree.

Thinthondiel
September 5th, 2012, 05:43 AM
I've never bought Monistat, but I wouldn't be embarrassed if I were to buy it. It's a treatment for a very normal condition, and if other people don't know that and judge me for buying it, then... too bad for them. It's not my problem that they're ignorant.

But then it takes a lot to embarrass me. Just like my sister, who once went into a pharmacy and loudly asked for one of those single-use enemas (she had postpartum constipation). The pharmacist was more embarrassed than she was, and asked quietly if it was for herself or for a child, and my sister didn't hesitate in saying it was for herself. It didn't occur to her to be embarrassed at all, she was just excited she was finally going to get relief, so to speak. :p

Acting embarrassed just makes situations more embarrassing. I used to get more embarrassed about stuff before, but then I realised that simply acting confident and doing what I have to/want to do without hesitation no matter what other people might think of me practically eliminates any embarrassment there might be.

Tota
September 5th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Not a single problem. But here this kind of stuff can only be bought in pharmacies, not regular stores and drugstores. And to people who work in pharmacies this is really no big deal comparing to other stuff they have to deal with.

One thing they always have to ask a customer is "Do you know this drug and know how to use it or do you need any further explanations?". I said "Yeah, thanks, it's for my scalp." The lady was genuinly interested and we talked about hair for the next 30 minutes:D She explained to me that this sure does make sense because yadayadayada (insert some medical statements here). She also said that some people have yeast infection on their scalps for their whole life and don't even know it or know how to treat it:) So I got a thumbs up from the pharmacy lady.

But another quite embarassing thing happened this summer lol:) I was on holidays (camping) and I needed tampons. I went into the only store at the camp and it was breakfast time - very crowded because everyone was buying bread and newspapers and stuff to start their day. All I needed were tampons. I'm not a very shy person so I took the tampons (and nothing else) to the cash register. People everywhere around me.

And then, when it's finally my turn, the cashier says to me quite loudly: This is it? I said yes and smiled at him. Then he starts: Oh my, women problems. I always say that I would love to be a woman, but then I remember about THIS STUFF and I change my mind. It's the worst possible thing that can happen to you. And you're on your holiday, you poor thing! I just said yes, thank you, bye and left laughing my a** off. What a show!

Natalia
September 5th, 2012, 06:36 AM
This is just so cute! Its the hair version of buying condoms in high school and collage everyone i knew was too mortified so i did it for them lol the cashiers must have thought i was VERY "active".

FrannyG
September 5th, 2012, 06:43 AM
I don't use Monistat for my hair, but I have had occasion to use it for the labelled reasons. I didn't feel the least bit of embarrassment, and if anyone has given me a funny look, I haven't seen it. It wouldn't even cross my mind to be embarrassed, or to think that anyone else would find it odd.

auroraclio
September 5th, 2012, 10:11 AM
LOL Thats just gross. yeast infections are not really natural.

What the.........??

Yes they are, there is nothing to be "ashamed" of if you get a yeast infection.

I have no problems buying anything of this sort, the cashier do not care, trust me...

HairFaerie
September 5th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I, in no way, shape or form get embarrassed when buying Monistat.
However, I do have an embarrassing Monistat story...
One time I had it on my scalp already for a few hours. (I mix it with castor oil.) I completely forgot I had it in there and went to the corner store real quick to pick up a few things. I got in the car when I was finished and looked in my rear view mirror and realized it was in there and I had forgotten about it!!! Luckily my hair didn't look TOO hideous. It kind of just look like I had a bunch of gel in there and was trying to spike it or something. Nobody looked at me funny or anything but I was a bit mortified that I had forgotten it was in there and went into the store like that! shudder:

Ephemeral
September 5th, 2012, 10:15 AM

I buy mine online through Walmart - good prices and I can browse and comparison shop as long as I want! :D

DaniVerde
September 5th, 2012, 10:22 AM
This is just so cute! Its the hair version of buying condoms in high school and collage everyone i knew was too mortified so i did it for them lol the cashiers must have thought i was VERY "active".

This is another thing I don't quite comprehend about our North American counterparts (it mostly seems like it's NA's that post this kind of thing): didn't it ever occur to anyone that if they're too immature to be buying the things necessary to have sex, they're too young/immature to be having sex?

Dovetail
September 5th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I've never used it on my hair, but I used to get pretty bad infections so I'd buy it pretty often. The first few times I'd snatch it and pay in the jewlery department or one of the registers like sporting goods or somewhere no one could see me @.@

After a while I just got over it *shrug* Usually I'd try to pick out the old lady cashiers, they've seen it all, and so many people are processed each day I doubt they'd say "oh theres the long hair chick again! she must be nasty!" like seriously, I worked as a cashier and I saw SOOO many people that stuff just didn't phase me. Unless it was like a REALLY old guy and much younger woman buying condoms or something, but even then I wouldn't say anything or give them a look since that's rude.

Asme- I agree about being embarassed about somethings and not others! did you know that even like body wash soap can give you infections :c It turns out mine were from my shampoo running down my back and getting all up around there! wild.

Besides, the cashiers can get in real trouble if they harrass you about personal stuff like that. The "girlie stuff" was always at the back of the beauty department by the adult diapers and pads and stuff, so if any one shot me a look I'd shoot one right back like "what are YOU here for? diapers? *scoff*" I guess it helps to be confident about it, you'd be suprised at how little other people actually think about you, I'm sure they have other stuff going on to think about rather than some girl at the store.

Wanderer09
September 5th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I work as a cashier and I promise we're not judging you! At least us grown-up ones aren't. I've noticed my younger male coworkers getting all nervous when they're ringing tampons through. :p

But really, most of us don't care what you're buying, especially if it's a busy day. We just want to scan your stuff, have you pay for it, wish you a good day, and move on to the next customer.

Maybe
September 5th, 2012, 10:40 AM
It never bothered me on the occasions I bought it for it's labelled purpose. I figured cashiers had other things to worry about than whether I had a yeast infection.

However, I bought some recently, thinking I would try it on my head.

And the young male cashier said "how was your wekend. Oh, not so good I guess given what you are buying".

What??????? Who says that?

Dovetail
September 5th, 2012, 10:46 AM
And the young male cashier said "how was your wekend. Oh, not so good I guess given what you are buying".

What??????? Who says that?

GEEZE! What? I've had cashiers see me buying steak and wine and they kinda give a http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/3025-if-you-know-what-i-mean.png look :p

BrightEyes
September 5th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I never feel embarrassed when buying Monistat, tampons, condoms or anything like that. Yeast infections, periods, sex....are all a part of life. Nothing to feel embarrassed about when buying them.

Kyla
September 5th, 2012, 10:54 AM

Haha. :p I was never embarrassed to buy condoms at the store, until one day the mom of a close friend walked right by. And yes, she recognized me, and yes, she talked to her daughter about it later. It was really embarrassing at the time, now I think it's hilarious though.

As for monistat, I've never used it for either purpose, but I told a male friend of mine about the hair growing properties and he really wanted to try it. I looked up some info on it here and went to the store with him to pick the right kind out. When paying, the female cashier kept looking at me (he was paying, and buying nothing else, so it must of looked quite odd), and when we were leaving she started giggling. I still think that that's also quite funny.

teal
September 5th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Huh, I've bought these and other items with way more potential for embarrassment without a second thought. No one has ever given me any looks that I recall, or I didn't see them.

I have run into some cashiers who have needed to acquaint their mouths with their hush puppies, though... some people really don't think before they speak.

PinkyCat
September 5th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I wonder if any of the men on the board have ever bought Monistat for their hair. Lots of guys are really shy about buying womens products.

The reality of it is, people think men who buy womens products look like superheros for running to the store & buying things for their SO's. "such a good man!"

Seriously - no one would suspect it's for you, and you win the hearts of every lady that sees you holding it. A can't-lose situation!

barely.there
September 5th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I'm generally not to concerned about the cashiers reactions to what I buy....except for maybe condoms ;) Once I bought a pregnancy test, and the walmart cashier looked at me, shook her head, and said I "was too young". I was like "WTF IM 21"!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT 12!!!!!! It has nothing to do with the buyer, its all about the cashier's who don't know how to control their tongues. They work in a store that sells this stuff. Indirectly, they are promoting it just by working there.

palaeoqueen
September 5th, 2012, 11:56 AM
No, I don't mind :D

Both times I put my mean face on, I was buying AZO for urinary tract infections. Once for my friend (who wouldn't go to the store and buy it herself:rolleyes:) and once for myself. UTI's have a negative connotation of only occurring as an STD. While you can get it that way, you can also get it from simply being dehydrated or taking antibiotics.

UTIs are NOT sexually transmitted.

As for Monistat, other people have covered everything I wanted to say so I just wanted to comment on the vaginal soap. I assure you that this is the quickest route to needing Monistat for it's intended purpose. That area and soap should never meet. Plain old water is how you should wash those parts of your anatomy.

Kyla
September 5th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I'm generally not to concerned about the cashiers reactions to what I buy....except for maybe condoms ;) Once I bought a pregnancy test, and the walmart cashier looked at me, shook her head, and said I "was too young". I was like "WTF IM 21"!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT 12!!!!!! It has nothing to do with the buyer, its all about the cashier's who don't know how to control their tongues. They work in a store that sells this stuff. Indirectly, they are promoting it just by working there.

Once a pharmacy tech commented when I was picking up by birth control that I was "too young for the kind of medicine." I was seventeen, and I understand that many many people feel this is too young, but still, RUDE!

MinderMutsig
September 5th, 2012, 12:05 PM
UTIs are NOT sexually transmitted.

As for Monistat, other people have covered everything I wanted to say so I just wanted to comment on the vaginal soap. I assure you that this is the quickest route to needing Monistat for it's intended purpose. That area and soap should never meet. Plain old water is how you should wash those parts of your anatomy.

True but you can get them from having sex.

palaeoqueen
September 5th, 2012, 12:07 PM
True but you can get them from having sex.

Yes you can but they're still not STDs.

MinderMutsig
September 5th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Agreed. And for accuracy: you can't get them from not wearing underwear or wearing a skirt on cold days either.

UTI's are bacterial and cold or a draft don't make bacteria magically appear. :p

palaeoqueen
September 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Agreed. And for accuracy: you can't get them from not wearing underwear or wearing a skirt on cold days either.

UTI's are bacterial and cold or a draft don't make bacteria magically appear. :p

Lol! I haven't heard the drafty explanation before :lol:

Tota
September 5th, 2012, 01:22 PM

True. I got it a few times while I was on BC pills. When I stopped taking the pills it never reappeared again.

MinderMutsig
September 5th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Lol! I haven't heard the drafty explanation before :lol:Oh yeah, "ik heb op de tocht gestaan" (I've stood in a draft) is a Dutch phrase like your "catching a cold" and indicates either catching a cold or catching a UTI. There are tons of people out there who think not wearing underwear or wearing short skirts causes them. My mom used to make me double up on underwear to prevent UTI's since double underwear stops the draft from getting all up in your business. :o

palaeoqueen
September 5th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Oh yeah, "ik heb op de tocht gestaan" (I've stood in a draft) is a Dutch phrase like your "catching a cold" and indicates either catching a cold or catching a UTI. There are tons of people out there who think not wearing underwear or wearing short skirts causes them. My mom used to make me double up on underwear to prevent UTI's since double underwear stops the draft from getting all up in your business. :o

That's sort of cute!

Rinna
September 5th, 2012, 01:57 PM

I was thinking the same thing... monistat is available on amazon and will be delivered to your doorstep, avoiding any embarrassment.

Arakazi
September 5th, 2012, 02:07 PM
:lol: Tota! That is a very funny story!

Kristen121
September 5th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I used to be a cashier at a grocery store and I never really noticed/cared if someone was buying monistat anymore than if they were buying aspirin or band-aids. It's an OTC medication to treat a common problem.

ETA: As for me, I've never bought monistat either for my hair or for a yeast infection, but if I needed it, I would just load it into my cart along with my 48 pack of toilet paper, jumbo box of tampons, laxatives, and packages of condoms :p The only time I've been somewhat embarrassed buying something personal was when I ran into my sister at Target when I had a ovulation predictor kit and a few pregnancy tests in my cart because I wasn't interested my making TTC a family event. She didn't say anything so she either didn't notice or knew better than to mention it.

jeanniet
September 5th, 2012, 02:39 PM

Natural as all get-out. Dogs and cats get them--virgin dogs and cats, might I add. People who get yeast infections aren't any more "dirty" or "nasty" than anyone else. I've never had a yeast infection, but I'm sure my hygiene doesn't qualify me for madonna status. I'm just fortunate to have a very healthy immune system.

Caring for your health is part of being a responsible adult. Nothing to get skeeved out about.

teal
September 5th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Lol! I haven't heard the drafty explanation before :lol:

Me neither - lol! :D

That's sort of cute!

Cute and endearing! I hope my boys complain about something annoying like that when they are older, haha! :)

silverstars
September 5th, 2012, 03:17 PM
The reason I bought mine online was that it was so much cheaper and I could get a pack of 6 for what I would have paid for one or two at the grocery store (mine doesn't seem to have the generic cream). I don't think I would have a problem getting it from the store if I needed it. When I was a pharmacy tech and ringing up someone's items it didn't seem to phase me.

jillosity
September 5th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I just went and bought it from Target. Sorry you had such an emotional reaction OP, but dang I love being old enough to not care about this sort of thing ;)

Just an aside, from having worked retail, I can assure you that nobody really cares what you buy, they are absorbed in their own life and though it might seem that they're "looking" especially at you, they're most likely daydreaming about X or Y or Z.

MinderMutsig
September 5th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I just went and bought it from Target. Sorry you had such an emotional reaction OP, but dang I love being old enough to not care about this sort of thing ;)

Just an aside, from having worked retail, I can assure you that nobody really cares what you buy, they are absorbed in their own life and though it might seem that they're "looking" especially at you, they're most likely daydreaming about X or Y or Z.

I agree. Teenage anxiety and insecurity is definitely not something I miss. I remember vividly what it feels like to think everyone is looking at you and paying attention to every little thing you do and it's not fun. And in reality those looks are mostly in your head. People really don't care what you buy in the store, they're too busy dealing with their own crap.

Asprettyasme
September 5th, 2012, 06:22 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

jeanniet
September 5th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by DaniVerde http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2290779#post2290779)
This is another thing I don't quite comprehend about our North American counterparts (it mostly seems like it's NA's that post this kind of thing): didn't it ever occur to anyone that if they're too immature to be buying the things necessary to have sex, they're too young/immature to be having sex?

The whole thing about sex is getting pregnant and having offspring's.

Offspring that you need to responsibly care for--which, BTW, is often far more embarrassing than buying any health product. So I'd say that if you can't buy XYZ product without worrying what other people think, you're REALLY not ready to be a parent.

ETA: Using "you" in the general sense, not anyone in particular

battles
September 5th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I'm not really embarrassed buying anything. :shrug: I'm the type of person that will buy a really suspicious (confusing) collection of items just to see reactions.

Watermelon, lube, nitrile gloves and a weird looking metal contraption from the kitchen supplies? Definitely. I dare you to give me a weird look.

cwarren
September 5th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Oops! Maybe I should said STI to be clear...

I'm not really embarrassed buying anything. :shrug: I'm the type of person that will buy a really suspicious (confusing) collection of items just to see reactions.

Watermelon, lube, nitrile gloves and a weird looking metal contraption from the kitchen supplies? Definitely. I dare you to give me a weird look.

Lol! THAT is hilarious. The only look I could imagine is one of confusion :)

katfemme89
September 5th, 2012, 07:36 PM
It bothers me that people think yeast infections are like STD's. Most people get yeast infections from being on antibiotics! Not because they're unclean in anyway. But I've had the same thing, I tried monistat for hair growth once and the cashier (who was a woman!) looked at me like I was super dirty. I wish that mindset would change

I second this. Yeast infections happen sometimes. I get them every time I use an antibiotic, and quite a few times I've gotten them after my cycle. It doesn't mean you're dirty. It shouldn't be anymore embarrassing than buying a product to clear up acne. I hate rude cashiers who appear to judge me by the stuff I buy. :steam

Asprettyasme
September 5th, 2012, 07:42 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

Kyla
September 5th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Asprettyasme, I may have, it happened over a year ago and sometimes I forget that I've already posted something. :p

MinderMutsig
September 5th, 2012, 08:00 PM
lmfao at the bold part. Yes, I know that. My "coochie" is allergic to almost everything, pads, soaps, underwear .ect. The only thing I can use "down there" is dove soap. But I wanted to see if Summer eve would work since its specifically for that purpose. But my aunt said it was bad to use so I don't use it anymore ;[. Thanks for your story, it was funny.
Products like summer eve are bad but regular soap is even worse. You are asking for trouble (read: a yeast infection or bacterial infection) by using soap down there. It's better to use just plain old water. Anything else throws the natural systems out of whack and can cause serious trouble.

Asprettyasme
September 5th, 2012, 08:01 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

Asprettyasme
September 5th, 2012, 08:02 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

MinderMutsig
September 5th, 2012, 08:05 PM
lmfao at the bold part. Yes, I know that. My "coochie" is allergic to almost everything, pads, soaps, underwear .ect. The only thing I can use "down there" is dove soap. But I wanted to see if Summer eve would work since its specifically for that purpose. But my aunt said it was bad to use so I don't use it anymore ;[. Thanks for your story, it was funny.
Products like summer eve are bad but regular soap is even worse. You are asking for trouble (read: a yeast infection or bacterial infection) by using soap down there. It's better to use just plain old water. Anything else throws the natural systems out of whack and can cause serious trouble.

gnome82
September 5th, 2012, 08:29 PM

Ignorant cashier!!! Any illness is an imbalance in the body somewhere, just cause there is an imbalance in the nether-regions does not mean one is a dirty person :disbelief.

Asprettyasme
September 5th, 2012, 08:43 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

anastasiya
September 5th, 2012, 09:09 PM
i never had to buy it but i dont think i'd be embarrassed either.

Beckstar
September 5th, 2012, 10:01 PM
LOL all of that is funny. No I am usually very calm and mature about buying pads and things in that nature. I openly talk about periods and I think its crazy people hide those things or are embarrassed about them because they are so natural and periods happen to all women. BUT when it comes down to "yeast infection" cream,, I didn't think I would be embarrassed but I was. I mean I just don't want people to think i have an itchy booty and I am not taking care of myself properly. LOL Thats just gross. yeast infections are not really natural.

It makes me feel silly thinking about Monistat and after I got home from the store I laugh so hard so its all in good nature. Its funny. What I was nervous about the most is that I didn't want to get up to the register squealing and squeaking like a little girl with excitement. Knowing me and my silly nature I probably would of hug the box of Monistat in the cashier face and just been like "you don't know how excited I am that I just bought this!! Oh yeaahh!! Booya!" He would of looked at me like I was a psycho child. But I was just so eager to buy the Monistat but I had to remind myself constantly that not many people know its used for hair and that's when I started siking myself out and making myself nervous LOL.

Well, you could have some fun next time they stare at you. Ask where they keep the Monistat 6-packs or if they have a punch card that you buy 5 and get the 6th one free... :)I'd pretend to scratch and than pay with the same hand...

jeanniet
September 5th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Go figure--I use soap, and lots of it, always have! I do think that some people are more prone to yeast infections for whatever reason--not hygiene, but perhaps skin Ph being slightly off, immune system, etc. My husband is very clean but he gets odd little skin/fungal infections very easily.

DaniVerde
September 5th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Okay. Didn't mean to offend anyone of course. I had no clue it was natural because I never had that problem. I knew urinary track infections was normal but not yeast infections. I guess thats weird LOL. But now I know. You learn new stuff everyday.

Don''t they teach you these things in school?

Interesting. sex is natural, and every living thing has it. Who cares when socielity says its okay or not okay to have it. Your period is what tells a women its okay to have sex that's when nature/the universe says you are ready. The whole thing about sex is getting pregnant and having offspring's. if my body starts its period and starts developing eggs for sperm then that is when I am ready to have sex. It does not matter what anyone else says. To each its own on when they deem its okay to have sex. Me,, I personally prefer to wait until marriage but not everyone is like me and that is okay.

Yeah, sex is natural...so is my base instinct to kill someone who takes my food. Doesn't mean it's good or right. I mean, just because I started menstruating at 13 does NOT in any way shape or form mean that I was ready to be a parent, to take care of the offspring.

I personally believe that people who can figure out "Tab A into Slot B" at that age, but are too immature to go and buy condoms/get birth control are irresponsible as hell, because they're risking bringing a child into the world when they're little more than children themselves. And why? For a few moments of pleasure.

And anyway, what's the fascination with "natural"? Dying of tuberculosis is natural. The computer you're using to type on isn't natural. See where I'm going with this?

Offspring that you need to responsibly care for--which, BTW, is often far more embarrassing than buying any health product. So I'd say that if you can't buy XYZ product without worrying what other people think, you're REALLY not ready to be a parent.

ETA: Using "you" in the general sense, not anyone in particular

This. This. This.

Artisticat
September 5th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Perhaps try ordering it from drugstore.com. Then you don't have to face the dreaded checkout lane lol. Free shipping over $25.

Which one do you typically buy?

http://www.drugstore.com:80/search/search_results.asp?N=0&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntk=All&srchtree=5&Ntt=monistat&Go.x=10&Go.y=23&CSRFToken=YqjEDCZkVrbGJPWE17jAmb9179koi3SiWJZA9rPS 7v0%3D

Asprettyasme
September 6th, 2012, 01:04 AM
#error

#An error occurred.

Artisticat
September 6th, 2012, 01:37 AM
I don't buy online because I think its dangerous. I forgot to mention that. I don't like buying medicine or serious items online because I am scared the seller might do something to it. I just don't trust people with that type of stuff. Atleast at the store if I go to a good store I feel more safer and I can see what I am purchasing.

Drugstore.com is legit - it's not one of those online pharmacy scammers.
It is now owned by Walgreens. It used to fulfill its prescriptions through Rite Aid (until March 2011 when it was sold to Walgreens).
I've ordered a bunch of stuff like Burt's Bees cream, Tom's toothpaste, Mrs. Meyers Clean Day and have been happy with their service... saves me a trip to Target!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drugstore.com

palaeoqueen
September 6th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Oops! Maybe I should said STI to be clear...

STDs and STIs are the same thing, UTIs are neither. They are NOT contagious and CANNOT be transmitted through sexual intercourse.

Sorry to pick on your post, it's nothing personal, I just can't stand propagation of misinformation.

joflakes
September 6th, 2012, 03:54 AM
I couldn't care less. In fact one of my personal favourite things to do is to buy a collection of items and see if I can provoke a reaction with the person on the till. For example:

Wine
Cucumber
Lubricant
Romantic film on DVD

:laugh:

For Monistat I'd probably buy a load of it at once. Just 10 boxes or something. :lol:

I don't do it EVERY time I go to the shop but when I do it's really funny. Sometimes I go into the store and buy things for work such as:

20 cereal storage boxes

The cashier gave me a weird look and I just said..." What?! I really like cereal. " :lol:

RileyJane
September 28th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I actually never felt embarrassed bc ik what im using it for, so it really doesnt bother me, its just shopping for my hair :p the last time i bought it though, the cashier hit on me the whole time, not sure if he knew what i was buying though, which made it funnier! XD

owlathena
September 28th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I've never felt embarrassed to buy monistat or AZO or lube or such things. Who the heck cares what I'm buying? And why should I care if someone does? That's their problem. The only time I've ever felt uncomfortable buying anything was when I bought a pregnancy test. I was so afraid I was going to run into a family member or someone. And my nerves were all over the place for obvious reasons. (And the fear was legitimate, turns out I was pregnant!)

MaryMarx
September 29th, 2012, 03:30 AM
I couldn't care less. In fact one of my personal favourite things to do is to buy a collection of items and see if I can provoke a reaction with the person on the till. For example:

Wine
Cucumber
Lubricant
Romantic film on DVD

:laugh:

That's just... :D

Like when I need to get toiletpaper... and nothing else. I always imagine I'd buy some plums or something to make it a really awkward situation. :p