PDA

View Full Version : any advice will be helpful :)

HeatherD589
September 4th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hello all! :) I'm new and ive been cruising around this site for a couple days and have read countless articles online....but i wanted your guys' opinions :) about a year ago my hair started really REALLY thinning out...in a scary way...it still does. when i gently run my fingers down it i come away with lots of strands ..long ones some with the root and some without. my ponytail is alarmingly small now. i just recently switched to co washing only with a biolage conditioner that i BELIEVE is "cone" free. i also take a prenatal vitamin, biotin, and msm every day for about a month now. im very careful about brushing and have chalked most of the loss up to stress. The point is i really really want to do the VERY BEST job i can and do the most beneficial things i can so if you guys have any more tips i would appreciate it :) my hair is very fine super straight and fragile :/ i want to keep every precious strand!

tiny squirrel
September 4th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I don't know if this is relevant to you and hopefully this isn't too personal, but this happened to my otherwise thick hair a few years back. I was on birth control at the time. After I read the fine print in which hair loss was listed as a side effect I stopped taking the pill. My hair stopped falling out and went back to its normal thickness. I know other medications can cause excess hair thinning as well. So that's my two cents. If you made any changes in medication that's a possible culprit.

lmfbs
September 4th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I think you need to determine if the majority of the hair coming out is shedding (at the root) or breakage. Ongoing shedding to the point where you notice thinning is usually a doctor issue (BC, hormones, stress and diet can all be factors), whereas breakage is something you can deal with right away.

You say you're taking vitamins and stuff - most of them won't give you any results you can see for 3 or more months. Personally, I don't think there's much point in taking them unless you have some sort of actual deficiency.

I had so much breakage that I estimate I lost 3 or 4cm from my ponytail circumference. In my sig you can see how my hair has changed since I started looking after it.

Breakage, for me, was a moisture issue. Baby your hair, treat it gently, give it moisture and drink lots of water.

If you can give us more info on your hairtype and the type of shed/breakage you're experiencing, we can help more :)

Madora
September 4th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Get an appointment and have a complete blood panel and thyroid check done.

Anemia can really do a number on your hair. I know, I've been there!

And, for your hair's sake, ditch the ponytail. They are not hair friendly because:

1) over use can cause breakage
2) pulling the hair back time after time can lead to traction alopecia
3) the loose hair is prone to friction from fabrics, etc. plus tangles can happen quickly. If you don't detangle frequently, you'll end up with a ponytail that is a tangled mess, which can lead to damage when detangling.

HeatherD589
September 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I think you need to determine if the majority of the hair coming out is shedding (at the root) or breakage. Ongoing shedding to the point where you notice thinning is usually a doctor issue (BC, hormones, stress and diet can all be factors), whereas breakage is something you can deal with right away.

You say you're taking vitamins and stuff - most of them won't give you any results you can see for 3 or more months. Personally, I don't think there's much point in taking them unless you have some sort of actual deficiency.

I had so much breakage that I estimate I lost 3 or 4cm from my ponytail circumference. In my sig you can see how my hair has changed since I started looking after it.

Breakage, for me, was a moisture issue. Baby your hair, treat it gently, give it moisture and drink lots of water.

If you can give us more info on your hairtype and the type of shed/breakage you're experiencing, we can help more :)
It seems that its mostly without roots...but the strands are still LONG :( I stopped using chemical dyes about 3 years ago and switched to henna, did that every few months for about a year then stopped all dyes and just let it go. i try to baby it as much as i can. i have a satin pillow case and i wear it in braids to sleep. I use an organic cream that is meant for skin ...i just use it sparingly on the bottom half mostly. its 100% natural and has things like jojba, avacado, sweet almond, shea butter, green tea....all good stuff. i never brush when its wet and i always do a good scalp massage when i co wash. hair type?..its very fine and naturally poker straight. naturally medium brown. I know it will take a while for any type of result from vitamins (if any) but it cant hurt i guess....I'm just so frustrated :/

HeatherD589
September 5th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Get an appointment and have a complete blood panel and thyroid check done.

Anemia can really do a number on your hair. I know, I've been there!

And, for your hair's sake, ditch the ponytail. They are not hair friendly because:

1) over use can cause breakage
2) pulling the hair back time after time can lead to traction alopecia
3) the loose hair is prone to friction from fabrics, etc. plus tangles can happen quickly. If you don't detangle frequently, you'll end up with a ponytail that is a tangled mess, which can lead to damage when detangling.
yes this seems like what I'm going to have to do. I really try to do everything i can to be so kind to my hair and it just keeps coming out.....I dont usually ever wear a ponytail. its usually braided or clipped up into a loose bun-y type thing. It's just that when i pull it into a ponytail i can really "measure" and notice how its getting progressively thinner. very scary 0_0. the doctors visit is really the smartest solution but having no health insurance is what is preventing me :/ in the meantime I'm trying to be as healthy about it as possible.