PDA

View Full Version : Baby Shampoo?

MiamiPineapple
September 4th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Does anyone use baby shampoo on a regular basis? I am finding that CO wash is not working as well for me now that my hair is getting longer. My hair seems to be to gunked up and feels dirty all the time. I find just the ends get dry but I think its from overuse of products, oils and conditioner.

Wondering if anyone uses baby shampoo on a regular basis. I was thinking of starting to use it a few times a week to keep my hair clean without stripping it too much.

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!:confused:

jasper
September 4th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I Used to use baby shampoo, but found it pretty harsh on my hair over the long run. Gentle on the eyes maybe, but not my hair.

tiny squirrel
September 4th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I Used to use baby shampoo, but found it pretty harsh on my hair over the long run. Gentle on the eyes maybe, but not my hair.

I second that! It might work to clarify once in a while, but for me it seemed to strip away too much natural oil.

lmfbs
September 4th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Baby shampoo is very harsh. With longer hair, it might be time to reevaluate your CO washing. I've found every 6 or so inches my hair grows, I have to change how I CO wash.

MiamiPineapple
September 4th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate that input. Maybe I will use it just on my scalp?

katfemme89
September 4th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I second that! It might work to clarify once in a while, but for me it seemed to strip away too much natural oil.

That's astonishing that they make baby shampoo so harsh!!! What the heck?!?!

lmfbs
September 4th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate that input. Maybe I will use it just on my scalp?

Personally I wouldn't, but if you do, I'd recommend heavily diluting it.

MiamiPineapple
September 4th, 2012, 08:39 PM
That's astonishing that they make baby shampoo so harsh!!! What the heck?!?!

Thats what I was thinking! I though to myself, what could be more gently than baby shampoo?!

jasper
September 4th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Well, they are formulating it to not sting the eyes, or irritate skin, but to get the cleansing job done. Generally the under age 2 crowd doesn't complain about dry hair. :shrug:

neko_kawaii
September 4th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Funny it is so harsh on the hair. My husband uses it as it is one of the few shampoos he has found that he isn't allergic to.

katfemme89
September 4th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Thats what I was thinking! I though to myself, what could be more gently than baby shampoo?!

Yeah until I saw this thread I was actually contemplating buying some. But nevermind! lol

Ml001
September 4th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Most baby shampoos have sulfates. You might consider just clarifying every once in a while - I fall back on bs/acv for that but there are other options, too.

Idjit
September 4th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I've found Toadstool (http://www.etsy.com/shop/toadstoolsoaps?section_id=11682026)shampoo to be the most gentle, but cleansing, for my hair. I go through phases of using this and cowashing.
I definitely wouldn't recommend baby shampoo.

JoieBruce
September 4th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Baby shampoo is pH balanced to be gentle to eyes, which makes it more harsh to hair. I have used it in a pinch, but I would not recommend it, and even just switched my 14 month old to a more gentle shampoo.

katfemme89
September 4th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Baby shampoo is pH balanced to be gentle to eyes, which makes it more harsh to hair. I have used it in a pinch, but I would not recommend it, and even just switched my 14 month old to a more gentle shampoo.

I know that anything for human scalps tends to be more acidic, so does that mean that stuff for the eyes tends to be more alkaline?

Well, they are formulating it to not sting the eyes, or irritate skin, but to get the cleansing job done. Generally the under age 2 crowd doesn't complain about dry hair. :shrug:

That made me LOL! Good point hehehehe!

Henrietta
September 5th, 2012, 05:54 AM

I wouldn't do that... As someone else has already posted, baby shampoos have much different pH than the ones for adults. I have never used one (though I planned), because after reading reviews of many baby poos on a Polish beauty site I've noticed that those who are at the beginning of the experiment are on cloud nine, at least in some cases. But after a few weeks-months people go back and change their reviews because the baby shampoos make their scalps sore, itchy, flaky and whatnot, and their hair becomes dry like a haystack.
Not everyone. But many people experience it. It probably depends on a shampoo, but whatever the INCI list contains, the rule is that great majority of baby poos have different pH. And that's the problem.

Lilli
September 5th, 2012, 06:56 AM
I really like this baby shampoo: http://www.happybabycompany.com/Episencial-Playful-Wash_p_684.html

Several of my kids have very fine hair, and hate having their hair washed, so no time for conditioner. But when I use this stuff, their hair combs easily with no knots, and it is very safe with no dangerous ingredients. It smells like real oranges.

Loreley
September 5th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I use baby shampoo for 2,5 years. I tried almost every brand which are available here and found only 2 (!) that were really gentle. The others were even more drying than the avarage sulfate shampoos.
But I just love those 2. They are totally sulfate, cone and paraben free and don't dry my hair at all. :inlove:

MiamiPineapple
September 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM
This is all really great info, thanks for everyones input. I think I will consider other options!

dwell_in_safety
September 5th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I never knew that baby shampoo was harsher than regular shampoo. I've no plans of switching washing methods to that, but it's good to know so as to avoid it in the future.

ratgirldjh
September 5th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Wash is very gentle and can be used on hair. I've used 3 - 7 drops in a cup or so of water and it got my hair clean.

And you could always heavily dilute the baby shampoo. There is a thread on here somewhere where someone uses a squirt of baby shampoo in a pitcher of water and then rinses and follows with a squirt of conditioner and honey and something acid and then also highly diluted in the same pitcher.