PDA

View Full Version : Scalp acne? Blisters? What have I done to my head...?

Freija
September 4th, 2012, 07:22 PM
I've never had scalp problems before, ever. Okay, I've been a bit greasy here and there, but I've never suffered from anything awful. Not even dandruff. I did have a bad experience when I tried katam, years ago, though (it made my scalp quite sore, prickly and sensitised), and the same thing happened more recently when I tried a Naked sulphate-free shampoo and their jojoba conditioner. As long as I kept to an ordinary shampoo with sodium laureth sulphate and my beloved Biolage balm, I was totally fine.

I should have known better, I really should, but back in June I started playing around with natural shampoos again. I started to use the Faith in Nature rosemary shampoo, and I alternated with the hemp and meadowfoam one too. Every time I washed my hair, my scalp would prickle and hurt until my hair had dried, and it would be uncomfortable for a while afterwards too. This was when I started getting little raised red bumps on my scalp, which hurt like heck when touched. I carried on with the shampoo (I know, I know, I just kept telling myself that it was natural and good and that I was being pathetic). At around this time, I also decided to strip the last of the faded red Manic Panic dye from my hair, using a UK version of Color Oops. I applied this stuff three times in all, and it made my scalp a bit sore each time, but the last time I used it I left it on for two hours and my scalp felt downright blistered afterwards. My hair, incidentally, was completely unbothered(?!).

It's about a month on from all that and I've gone back to the exact routine (washing every other day with cool water, and using the same SLS shampoo and Biolage conditioner) that I was doing so well on before all of this. But my scalp still keeps getting lots of little, painful, red (not white or yellow) bumps. They seem to be gathering towards the front of my head, and spread back about two inches from my hairline. I can't help but scratch at them - they don't itch but they do hurt and that bothers me - and they don't seem to contain anything except a bit of lymph. Scratching makes them bleed, and then I end up with scabs... and then I get more of the bumps anyway.

Please, please help. They are driving me mad! Will they go away on their own, even though they haven't yet? Am I still doing something wrong? I can't CO (my scalp hates that, too), but is there something else I can try? Anyone done a similarly stupid thing to your scalp and recovered in the end...?

Silverbrumby
September 4th, 2012, 07:26 PM
http://www.livestrong.com/article/293115-pimple-like-bumps-on-the-scalp/

This might be helpful.

vanillabones
September 4th, 2012, 07:33 PM
My hair also loves SLS and I get the same kind of red bumpy itchy blister acne on my scalp if I try to stretch washes. I was every other day and always finish in cold rinse too. I think they will go away, I have weened myself off the sulphates though and use a gentler shampoo for regular washes but I don't think this would help your problem.
Do you ever use any other conditioners?

Freija
September 4th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Silverbrumby - Hmm... I'm not sure. That website isn't very specific, but from other things I've read I don't think it sounds like seborrhoeic dermatitis... folliculitis sounds much more likely, in which case I wonder exactly what is causing it - and if it's a residual effect from all the abuse I subjected my scalp to and will go away on its own?

Vanillabones - no, no other conditioners. You have given me an idea, though - I'm going to be really careful about keeping my conditioner away from my scalp for the next week, and see if that helps.

Falcore
September 4th, 2012, 07:52 PM
You have to withhold from scratching them. I know it's hard, but if you pick the scab the wound will never heal.

You could try massaging some neem oil on your scalp. It has natural antiseptic/anti-bacterial properties (smells bad but it could help).

ravenreed
September 4th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I have all sorts of bad reactions to shampoos and conditioners. Some of the worst ones have been from "natural" lines. I sometimes get huge, pus-filled cysts all over my scalp. Ick! Have you tried just an ACV rinse? It might not make the bumps go away, but it may help with the pain. I had great results for my chronically itchy scalp just from adding that to my routine.

If it doesn't go away soon, you should probably try to see a doctor about it. It sounds uncomfortable, and there may be an easy solution. I was battling a rash on my face. I fought with it for about six months, trying everything I could think of, natural or no... It was busy spreading all over my face. I finally went to the dermatologist, was diagnosed with rosascea, and she had it cleared up in a month.

Crazycatlady
September 4th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Maybe try washing daily with your SLS shampoo for a while. Mine gets those bumps if I go too long without sulfates. And yes, they do hurt.

anime_length
September 4th, 2012, 08:28 PM
It it possible you're allergic to the SLS alternative in the natural shampoos?

Freija
September 4th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Thank you, everyone - I really appreciate the replies! I'm a bit hesitant to try completely new things (I'm not sure how I'll react to the Neem oil) but I know ACV is not a problem for me so I'll give my scalp a good soak in a bowlful of dilute ACV tomorrow morning - and if that doesn't help then I'll try the Neem. And daily sulphate washing (if I keep it off my lengths! May have to enlist my boyfriend for that one...). And I will stop scritching! I've been sitting on my hands when I haven't been typing, as a deterrent.

Ravenreed - I'm sorry to hear that you have horrible reactions too. It's miserable. But if it's not a horrible thing to say, it's also a bit reassuring to know I'm not the only one? If it doesn't go away soon then I think I will go to the GP. I suppose I just don't want to have to admit how stupid I've been...

Anime_length - maybe... the Faith in Nature wasn't completely sulphate-free, I think it had ALS in it instead, so do you think it's possible? The Naked shampoo had cocoamidopropyl betaine.

ravenreed
September 4th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Nope, you are not alone. Lots of people have sensitivities to various things. I am ridiculously allergic to everything. My mom says I am a "delicate hot-house flower," which makes me laugh because it doesn't suit my personality at all, but oh well.

Thank you, everyone - I really appreciate the replies! I'm a bit hesitant to try completely new things (I'm not sure how I'll react to the Neem oil) but I know ACV is not a problem for me so I'll give my scalp a good soak in a bowlful of dilute ACV tomorrow morning - and if that doesn't help then I'll try the Neem. And daily sulphate washing (if I keep it off my lengths! May have to enlist my boyfriend for that one...). And I will stop scritching! I've been sitting on my hands when I haven't been typing, as a deterrent.

Ravenreed - I'm sorry to hear that you have horrible reactions too. It's miserable. But if it's not a horrible thing to say, it's also a bit reassuring to know I'm not the only one? If it doesn't go away soon then I think I will go to the GP. I suppose I just don't want to have to admit how stupid I've been...

Anime_length - maybe... the Faith in Nature wasn't completely sulphate-free, I think it had ALS in it instead, so do you think it's possible? The Naked shampoo had cocoamidopropyl betaine.

ColoradoDreamer
September 4th, 2012, 11:32 PM
It sounds to me like you might be having an allergic reaction to something. If you don't get results in a day or two from the remedies suggested here, I'd recommend having a dermatologist take a look.

Alvrodul
September 5th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I'm also thinking allergies. It might be a good idea to patch test everything you are thinking of putting on your hair and skin

BlazingHeart
September 5th, 2012, 02:12 AM
I had to laugh, Ravenreed, because my mother calls me a 'delicate flower'.

That very definitely sounds like contact dermatitis, aka an allergic reaction on the skin. At this point, it sounds like you are left with the slowly healing wounds, and like you may be continuing to remove scabs and/or irritate around the scabs.

I think that you might benefit from an oil applied directly to your scalp. My first choice would be a bit of olive oil. Test it on the inside of your elbow first, to make sure you aren't going to react to it. Once you know you're safe, just a bit on your fingertips and rub it into the most uncomfortable places very gently. Olive oil is great for soothing irritation in the body (including itching), and it promotes healing. It's also mildly antibacterial and antifungal, so it will prevent an opportunistic infection. Applying olive oil to this should feel good from the start, so if it doesn't, STOP.

~Blaze

Tabitha
September 5th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Botanicals can be very allergenic, especially essential oils. You might be better off using some very bland, non "natural" but dermatological range (I can't think of one off the top of my head but something similar in hair terms to the Cetaphil bodywash). Something like Simple maybe. Or even baby shampoo. I know baby shampoo gets a bad rap on here but for scalps it does a good job.

Sulphates aren't always harsher than non-sulphates (Burts Bees I mean YOU :evil) and some scalps do need sulphate cleansing, mine seems to profit from it. I second the advice to keep conditioner not just off, but well away from the scalp. My hair length seems to act as a ladder to my scalp for the conditioner to climb up so I have to make sure it doesn't go above a certain level and be very careful during shampooing.

A pharmacist might be able to give you good advice.

Freija
September 5th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you so, so much! I shampooed and then gave my scalp a long, long ACV soak this morning and I do feel better. Even the little bumps are a bit less sore to the touch. I'm going to try doing daily ACV soaks and I will try using olive oil, too.

Tabitha - I tried to keep the conditioner only on my ends, so hopefully that will help. I'm using Joico Daily Balance shampoo at the moment, which I think is supposed to be dermatological and designed for sensitive scalps. I always used to get on well with it, so hopefully things will start to calm down again now. It's so good to hear that other people benefit from sulphates too! I tend to feel guilty about using them, but I just can't do well without them (my CO experiment came to a very abrupt end for this reason).

lapushka
September 5th, 2012, 04:15 PM
It's useless taking guesses as to what this could be. I'd go see a doctor if I were you. Have this checked out. You might need treatment for those hurtful bumps!

anastasiya
September 5th, 2012, 04:41 PM
idk how to help but i hope everything works out for u

pepperminttea
September 5th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure how I'll react to the Neem oil

If you do try the neem, be sure to dilute it first 1:10 with a carrier oil (EVOO works well); not only does it make the rather horrific smell easier to bear, but some people can have reactions to straight neem, so dilution is a safer way to go. I hope your scalp recovers soon! :flower:

louzen
September 5th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Hi Freija

I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this. Something similar happened to me last year when a volumising spray was sprayed on my scalp which caused irritant contact dermatitis resulting in burning, itchiness, flakiness and shooting pains all over my head. I was able to manage it by doing many deep oil treatments with coconut, EVOO, jojoba and emu oil. I found the emu oil the most beneficial in terms of calming the inflammation and healing the scalp due to its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, healing, and moisturizing abilities.

I also couldn't continue using my sulfate shampoo which I had been using for years since it caused extreme irriation and made the soreness even worse, so I switched to non-SLS medicated shampoo. I think once the protective barrier of the skin has been stripped due to a reaction/irritation, then SLS becomes a strong irritant to the skin. After trying many 'natural' shampoos which didn't work for me, I stumbled upon Allergenics shampoo (you can buy from Holland and Barrett) which was the only shampoo that didn't cause me irritation. In recent times, I've switched to CO washing which has helped me even more.

It sounds like you've had an allergic reaction (given the blisters) to some ingredient in the new shampoo you've been using which has sensitized your scalp. I would suggest doing some deep oiling treatments about 2-3x a week with an oil that has anti-inflammatory properties such as emu or EVOO. Leave the oil on overnight or even longer if you can and saturate your scalp (I find the oil treatment works the best if left on for 24 hours minimum). Use a really mild shampoo (no SLS), preferably unscented/fragrance free to stop the possibility of further irritation. Also pre-oil before you shampoo to protect your scalp. If you can switch to CO washing for the time being, even better. Stretching washes also helped me - I found the longer I left my hair unwashed the better my condition would get.

I would try this for a month or two, and if it's not improving definitely go to see the doctor/dermatologist who will probably prescribe you steroid which should clear up the problem in no time. (Although do your research on the side effects).

I wish you all the best, and I really hope this clears up for you :flower: Keep us updated on how it goes

torrilin
September 5th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Nope, you are not alone. Lots of people have sensitivities to various things. I am ridiculously allergic to everything. My mom says I am a "delicate hot-house flower," which makes me laugh because it doesn't suit my personality at all, but oh well.

My beloved little sister is loud, boisterous, stubborn as hell... and sensitive, allergic or reactive to a tremendous laundry list of stuff. Molds, fragrances, mildew, dogs, cats, birds, dust mites, some drugs... In some cases it's a real allergy. In others it's an asthma trigger, and she's one of those severe asthmatics who has been hospitalized as an adult.

I think the only way a delicate, fragile person can survive is to be stubborn and strong in personality to make up for the lack of constitution :).

spidermom
September 5th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I must remember to show my non-picky scalp and hair more appreciation.
I hope you're on the road to full recovery.

vanillabones
September 5th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I agree keeping conditioner off your scalp if crucial!! If my conditioner is on my scalp it gets greasy so fast and I get the itchy bumps so hopefully this helps you a lot. I used to use conditioner on all of my hair before reaching shoulder and I was fine but with heavy cones (aka pantene ice shine) I completely notice and it irritates my scalp. I suggest you wash your hair when these bumps are really bothering you rather than picking at them - that really helped me to stop picking and I am completely fine now.

goldloli
September 7th, 2012, 05:15 AM
It's so good to hear that other people benefit from sulphates too! I tend to feel guilty about using them, but I just can't do well without them (my CO experiment came to a very abrupt end for this reason).

Don't feel guilty, sulphates save many peoples hair. My hair and scalp is most happy with a conventional shampoo followed up with conditioner (spread right to the roots) I get itches and spots if I stretch washes or use natural shampoos, not to mention hairfall, esp with co washing. To protect the lengths drying out from sulphates you could try oil shampoo or a cwc method. Tbh if it were me I'd get my hands on some medicated sls shampoo, use it on the scalp a few times and then revert back to standard poo and dish. S.derm, fungus and allergic reactions can all cause hairfall and i just wouldn't risk trying out new products for a while.

Like someone said, do a patch test on the inside of your elbow with every product you have, like put on a blob before bed and check in the morning. This will greatly help you to find out what you can or cannot use or if it even is an allergic reaction at all. Some people just cant handle any kind of build up on the scalp even if it is their own sebum or a natural oil.

DinaAG
September 7th, 2012, 07:18 AM
vinegar rinses might help dear