PDA

View Full Version : Thin hair getting thinner

Mermania27
September 4th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Any advice for me? I have always had thin hair, but after my two pregnancies it now seems to be even thinner. I don't want to use a lot of chemicals (though I am open to suggestions) and cannot afford expensive hair replacements. Any advice for a newbie here? Please help!:confused:

kdaniels8811
September 4th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I have the same issue - menopause is making my hair thin. Trying the following recipe! Note - get aloe vera gel either from the plant or a health food store. The stuff at Walmart and the drug store are full of chemicals. You want pure aloe. I am going to try this treatment this week. Let me know if you try/like it! Good luck!

Nourishing and Volumizing Aloe Hair Treatment
Step 1
Combine 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of honey, and one ounce of warm water in a small cup or bowl. Mix well. Aloe vera gel is rich in many nutrients that are beneficial for your hair. According to the Herb Wisdom website, aloe vera contains zinc, the antioxidant vitamins A,E and C, amino acids, and essential fatty acids.
Step 2
Apply the mixture to dry hair by pouring it from the cup into your palm and then massaging it through your hair, working over a sink in case of drips and spills. Cover your hair with the mixture from the roots to the ends, pulling strands down through your fingers to coat the tips.
Step 3
Leave the treatment on for 30 minutes, then shampoo it out with a good-quality, mild shampoo specially formulated for fine hair. Condition your hair as usual with a conditioner for fine, limp hair.
Step 4
Repeat the treatment every three days for best results.

Welcome to the Long Hair Community!

Mermania27
September 4th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks so much! Your hair looks great by the way! I will let you know...

girlcat36
September 4th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Great recipe kdaniels! I want to try that.

I had very thick hair until after the birth of my children 25 years ago. It became thinner by the year. Now health problems have compounded the thinning.
I am using castor oil on my scalp in the hopes of thickening it.
Have a doctor run iron labs. I was anemic for YEARS and no one told me. You need optimal ferritin levels to grow hair---not just 'in range' ferritin.

kdaniels8811
September 4th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I am always researching natural hair and body care methods. I just spent a ridiculous amount of money on lavender, orange peel, lemon peel, and eucalyptus leaves. Put a quarter cup of each in a jar, cover with vinegar and let sit for 2 weeks, shaking every day. Strain the herbs out and you have an all natural anti-bacterial spray cleaner. Costs much more than the chemical laden stuff from the store but after beating cancer, the cost of natural cleaner is cheap. I cannot wait to try it!

Silverbrumby
September 4th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Hi Mermania.

It might also help to have a few more details like:

1. Age range

2. Genetics - mum, dad, sisters. What is their hair like?

3. Have you had any testing for health issues? Iron, Vit D, thyroid.

4. Are you stressed?

5. Are you eating enough right now?

6. Are you in the middle of the post partum shed phase?

7. What's your routine for hair? Are you using sulfate free shampoos or CO only washing? (CO washing too much makes me shed shed shed)

8. Scalp massages?

9. How are your nails lately. Are they flaking and brittle.

Mermania27
September 4th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Hey Silverbrumby
1. Age range. I am 29.

2. Genetics - mum, dad, sisters. What is their hair like? Mom has thin hair too.

3. Have you had any testing for health issues? Iron, Vit D, thyroid. No testing, but am anemic.

4. Are you stressed? A little stressed you could say.

5. Are you eating enough right now? I believe I am eating enough.

6. Are you in the middle of the post partum shed phase? I do not know...

7. What's your routine for hair? Are you using sulfate free shampoos or CO only washing? (CO washing too much makes me shed shed shed) What is CO washing?

8. Scalp massages? I have been doing scalp massages.

9. How are your nails lately. Are they flaking and brittle. Not too bad.

Mesmerise
September 4th, 2012, 07:40 PM
How long has it been since you gave birth last, and how close together were your two pregnancies? Obviously hair takes awhile to recover from a post partum shed, and if your kids are fairly close together you'll end up with hair loss on top of hair loss (because you won't have had enough time to truly recover from the first PP shed before undergoing the second).

Also, how fast does your hair grow? Hair that grows quicker will recover quicker too ;). If your hair grows slowly, it may take longer to recover from a shed of any type (on average hair grows about 6" a year, but some manage 12" or even more a year, while some may only get 3 to 4" a year).

Mermania27
September 4th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Mesmerise...My oldest is turning 4 in December and my youngest will be 2 in October. Would that be back to back? And would I still be shedding from that?

My hair grows fairly slow or so it seems.

Silverbrumby
September 5th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Mesmerise...My oldest is turning 4 in December and my youngest will be 2 in October. Would that be back to back? And would I still be shedding from that?

I'd address the iron if you can. I have a plant based iron supplement which is ok. My iron levels are normal now but I have to keep an eye on it.

Two children in four years might had caused some of the thinning. It's a lot of work.

Silverbrumby
September 5th, 2012, 10:28 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115

Mermania, come join us on this thread. There are many fine 'fine' heads of hair for you to see and lots of great advice as well. Fine is JUST fine ;-)

Silverbrumby
September 5th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Oops double post

teal
September 5th, 2012, 11:21 AM

These are the questions I would be asking:

Have you successfully addressed your anemia?

Are you still breastfeeding or pumping? How much and often?

Are you dieting or trying to shed baby weight?

How's your intake of proteins - meats and legumes? How about fats?

How's your water intake?

MsBubbles
September 5th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Sounds like pumping up your iron intake is a very easy and quick thing you can do to give your hair a chance at being all it can be! If you take supplements, take the iron with food or else it'll turn your stomach. Your Mother might have had the same issue too. Iron is huge for me. I have the same hairtype as you. It doesn't take too many sheds for it to make a huge difference in thinness. Good luck!

(now somebody will probably tell me off for telling someone to take iron, when too much of it can be toxic. Yes. I know).

noot
September 5th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I use Revita shampoo, expensive but am seeing good results. Also Shin-Men products to block DHT. I do less washing, brushing and search and destroy split ends and finally treat hair that is left like fine lace. All of these things have helped my thinning hair a lot. I also had blood work and found that I was going through menopause so now am on low dose hormone replacement therapy. Good luck as I know this can be very depressing to you. Congradulations on your little ones.

Silverbrumby
September 5th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I use Revita shampoo, expensive but am seeing good results. Also Shin-Men products to block DHT. I do less washing, brushing and search and destroy split ends and finally treat hair that is left like fine lace. All of these things have helped my thinning hair a lot. I also had blood work and found that I was going through menopause so now am on low dose hormone replacement therapy. Good luck as I know this can be very depressing to you. Congradulations on your little ones.

Shin men? I must google that. I've been using monistat to block the DHT. I'm wondering if this is better.