PDA

View Full Version : Something lightened my hair without my permission...

katfemme89
September 4th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Ok so this is really weird. Last night I washed my hair with a conditioner that I've only used once before, in my last COwash. It's some kind of little conditioner bottle that looks like it's from a hotel. It was given to me by a friend in a swap, with a bunch of other little hotel shampoos and lotions. I didn't plan on using any of the shampoos because I alternate between CO and WO, but this one bottle intrigued me because it said "sea kelp conditioner" but it must've come in a toiletries kit in the hotel with the ingredients on the outside of the kit, so there are no ingredients listed on the back of the bottle. I figured that would be interesting to try, so I did. Then I used it again last night, and also while my hair was still wet, I felt adventurous and decided to smooth on a little cocoa butter after I got done putting it on my skin. The ingredients in the cocoa butter are as follows:

Cocoa Butter, Aloe Vera Extract, Nonoxynol-10, Allantoin, Purified Water, Petrolatum, Paraffin Oil, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetyl Alcohol, Polysorbate-20, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, F.D. & C. Violet #4, F.D. & C. Yellow #5.

Now, today when I took my hair down out of the bun and started brushing it, I noticed that the color is several shades lighter. I mean, quite noticeably lighter. My hair has natural high and lowlights, the lowlights being chestnut brown before are now auburn, and the previously auburn highlights are now strawberry blonde. My husband even commented on it and asked if I'd highlighted it. I like the way it looks, but it disturbs me that something I put on my hair lightened it without me even knowing about it or consenting to it. It doesn't feel dried out or anything, so I dunno wtf happened.

Any ideas as to what's going on? I don't think it was the conditioner, because I did not have this result when I used it before this time. But how could it be the Cocoa Butter?!?!?!

akilina
September 4th, 2012, 06:43 PM
WOW!
That is very interesting to hear!
I am sort of at a loss too as to what could have happened, I am sorry :[
Lol...maybe all the people wanting to lighten their hair should do exactly what you did :)

PinkyCat
September 4th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Oh yes. This happens to me all the time. I just want to keep my hair black dammit!
It could have been the aloe in there - it does bad things to my hair, and lightening it is one of them.

That stuff has a lot of ingredients for being called cocoa butter. Maybe try the real stuff.

Loviatar
September 4th, 2012, 07:03 PM
The nonoxynol-10 would be my vote. It's in a ton of hair lightening/bleaching products. ETA: especially as it's one of the first few (i.e. main) ingredients.

Notes about nonoxynol-10 here:

http://www.goodguide.com/ingredients/164031-nonoxynol-10

Another site talks about nonoxynol-10:

http://anti.agingarsenal.com/products/murad-rapid-age-spot-and-pigment-lightening-serum/
"Murad’s age spot lightener contains 2% hydroquinone, which is the standard ingredient in age-spot creams and lightening products. They don’t shout it from the rooftops but the product has Nonoxynol-10, a common bleaching and lightening agent."

My friend managed to lighten her bangs with constant use of face cleansing wipes. I dont know what was in them though.

katfemme89
September 4th, 2012, 07:04 PM
WOW!
That is very interesting to hear!
I am sort of at a loss too as to what could have happened, I am sorry :[
Lol...maybe all the people wanting to lighten their hair should do exactly what you did :)

I know, isn't it weird?! I mean I love the new color, it's just kinda disturbing to have my hair color changed without trying lol.

Oh yes. This happens to me all the time. I just want to keep my hair black dammit!
It could have been the aloe in there - it does bad things to my hair, and lightening it is one of them.

That stuff has a lot of ingredients for being called cocoa butter. Maybe try the real stuff.

I am thinking that it was the aloe, too... i have heard of it lightening people's hair a bit but dang I didn't know it'd do it this much!
Yes I agree that it does, it's just some cheap crap that I'm trying to use up. I have so many hair and skin products and my "new years" resolution is to use them all up before buying absolutely anything new.

katfemme89
September 4th, 2012, 07:16 PM
The nonoxynol-10 would be my vote. It's in a ton of hair lightening/bleaching products. ETA: especially as it's one of the first few (i.e. main) ingredients.

Notes about nonoxynol-10 here:

http://www.goodguide.com/ingredients/164031-nonoxynol-10

My friend managed to lighten her bangs with constant use of face cleansing wipes. I dont know what was in them though.

Oh wow... thank you for the info! That website scared me. I don't want to damage my endocrine system (whatever endocrine does LOL), and why in the freaking hell would they put this chemical in a body butter?!?!?! The only thing I can figure is that I bought this in the ethnic skin care section, and possibly dark skinned people use this body butter for a skin-lightening side-effect?