PDA

View Full Version : Redhead festival in Holland

fridgee
September 4th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Check out this:

Redheads gather in Holland for festival (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19461177)

How awesome is that! I've never seen so many beautiful redheads in one place! Coming from the UK I've never understood the animosity towards redheaded people that exists here, I've always thought it was a stunning hair colour. What a wonderful positive celebration!

krustallos
September 4th, 2012, 10:35 AM
That is so amazing!
When the camera shows the crowd for the first time it even gives a certain magic sensation. Red hair definitely has a unique mystique.

The video also reminded me of an episode of the old Sherlock Holmes series, with Jeremy Brett, where they had the Red-Headed League. It always sounded to me like a good idea!

DayDreamerDani
September 4th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Cool! I've always wanted red hair! So unique and beautiful!

Beatnik Guy
September 4th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I've never understood the animosity towards redheaded people

From Wikipedia:

Medieval beliefs
Red hair was thought to be a mark of a beastly sexual desire and moral degeneration. A savage red-haired man is portrayed in the fable by Grimm brothers (Der Eisenhans) as the spirit of the forest of iron. Theophilus Presbyter describes how the blood of a red-haired young man is necessary to create gold from copper, in a mixture with the ashes of a basilisk.
Montague Summers, in his translation of the Malleus Maleficarum, notes that red hair and green eyes were thought to be the sign of a witch, a werewolf or a vampire during the Middle Ages;
Those whose hair is red, of a certain peculiar shade, are unmistakably vampires. It is significant that in ancient Egypt, as Manetho tells us, human sacrifices were offered at the grave of Osiris, and the victims were red-haired men who were burned, their ashes being scattered far and wide by winnowing-fans. It is held by some authorities that this was done to fertilize the fields and produce a bounteous harvest, red-hair symbolizing the golden wealth of the corn. But these men were called Typhonians, and were representatives not of Osiris but of his evil rival Typhon, whose hair was red.

Awesome festival though. Thanks for sharing that, :D

fridgee
September 4th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the education Beatnik Guy! Its funny how the legacy of ancient superstitions still manage to pervade our world today, even though we have the awareness to know better.

Anje
September 4th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Cute how they're mostly wearing green, too. Wonder if there's a dress code, or if it's just the natural color choice?

stew
September 4th, 2012, 03:52 PM
i noticed the green too! i feel like it must be organized that way, although i have noticed redheads love wearing green.. it complements their hair nicely.

FrozenBritannia
September 4th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I love hearing about that festival! i remember last year reading about an Aussie family who came because their one boy had red hair and they wanted him to get to see a bunch of other people with red hair too. Extra sweet was that his little sister was worried they were going to lose him in the crowd and was clinging to him! :) i always wished I had red hair, its so pretty!

CaranDulin
September 4th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I love hearing about that festival! i remember last year reading about an Aussie family who came because their one boy had red hair and they wanted him to get to see a bunch of other people with red hair too. Extra sweet was that his little sister was worried they were going to lose him in the crowd and was clinging to him! :) i always wished I had red hair, its so pretty!

Aww that's so sweet!

Rufflebutt
September 4th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Dear lord, they're multiplying!!! Run before they take YOUR soul too!

(I'm just kidding. I do poke fun at redheads but I'm actually quite jealous of them for having such a pretty hair color.:beerchug:)

CurlyCap
September 4th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Sigh. Red just isn't in my genetic tree. And even if I snag a redhead for myself, I'd make little brunette babies.

I'd have to breed the children to more redheads! Then I'd have red headed grandbabies! Bwahahahahahaha!

Just kidding. I adore red hair and I see it as extremely exotic. I'd have adored walking around that festival!

krustallos
September 4th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I love hearing about that festival! i remember last year reading about an Aussie family who came because their one boy had red hair and they wanted him to get to see a bunch of other people with red hair too. Extra sweet was that his little sister was worried they were going to lose him in the crowd and was clinging to him! :)

That's such an adorable story!
It's got potential even for a literary piece, I believe. Maybe I should give it a try.

alexis917
September 4th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Wow. Red hair is so gorgeous...Have they banned henna heads from the festival though?

fridgee
September 5th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Aw what a cute story FrozenBritannia! I don't know if they banned henna, but I'm sure if you wanted to sneak in then henna (before it goes deep deep burgundy) can look so natural I bet they could never tell!

Phalaenopsis
September 5th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I have been there two years ago. A friend of mine needed help in his braiding booth. I braided redheads all day long :D There were some very rare colours! One girl had this natural deep brown-red I had never seen in my life, which was to die for.

Normally, this year I would have went again, but that friend who does the booth, eventually couldn't go.

auburntressed
September 5th, 2012, 01:57 AM
I have been wanting to go to this thing for years! It seems like such a good time. Maybe some day... I hope. :)

Wow. Red hair is so gorgeous...Have they banned henna heads from the festival though?I don't think anyone is "banned," from the festival. Lots of people with normal hair colors go too, just to look at the redheads. With thousands of them milling about, I'd guess that some people will be fooled and others won't. Either way, it should be fine. :)

fridgee
September 5th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Awesome to hear from someone who's actually been there!

CorinaS
September 5th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Gorgeous! But why so few guys?

*Rose Red*
September 5th, 2012, 06:35 AM
I know about this festival since 2009 now, I always wanted to go there (not so far from me) but it never was possible. I hope for next year :D

Golden
September 5th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Dear lord, they're multiplying!!! Run before they take YOUR soul too!

(I'm just kidding. I do poke fun at redheads but I'm actually quite jealous of them for having such a pretty hair color.:beerchug:)

Have you heard this one?: For each soul we take, we earn a freckle! :D
I would love to go there one day :)

arc691
September 5th, 2012, 07:06 AM
I heard about this annual event a few years ago. It sounds like a fun experience, getting together with redheads from all over...maybe one day I can go :)

Beatnik Guy
September 5th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I have been there two years ago. A friend of mine needed help in his braiding booth. I braided redheads all day long :D There were some very rare colours! One girl had this natural deep brown-red I had never seen in my life, which was to die for.
:rockerdud

noot
September 5th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah for the Celtic Ginger Gene. All those years of being teased and now I'm surrounded by little old ladies in FL dyeing their hair red. Go fiqure? Thanks for sharing

woodlandnymph
September 5th, 2012, 07:34 PM
We need more fun and interesting stories like this in the news. Thank you so much for sharing!:D

jojo
September 5th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I loved how most of them was wearing green such a flattering colour for red heads and the little girl on her dads shoulder with the ringlet type curls, adorable!

owlathena
September 6th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Oh how cool!

*Rose Red*
September 6th, 2012, 02:00 PM
With the years my hair is more and more turning into blonde... So I should go there as soon as possible :)

ptricia
September 6th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I think guys with red hair are very sexy. Maybe I should visit next year and find me a handsome ginger!

AngryVikingGirl
September 6th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Awww....:)

ETA I mean for the video. Ptricia is right but I'm not replying to her post. Just to make it clear. ;)

MintChocChip
September 6th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Amazing festival. :) I love red hair so much! :inlove: Wish I was a redhead!

Yozhik
September 6th, 2012, 05:14 PM
That's a great feel-good piece. :)

It's great they organize something like this.

When I lived in Russia two years ago, they also had a redhead festival -- unfortunately, I missed it by a few days. :(

It must be a great experience, though!

SoulOfTheSea
September 7th, 2012, 12:43 AM
That is just way awesome! Thanks for sharing, I didn't know that such a festival existed! Perhaps I should notify my very red-headed friend. :)

Natalia
September 7th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Im not a redhead but id totally be there.... i have a HUGE thing for redheads red hair is just so lovely :D

AutumnLocks
September 7th, 2012, 12:57 PM
How awsome is that!! I have several redheads in my family besides me. My mom, my beautiful cousin who lives in Atlanta, a distant cousin and my great grandmother on my dads side all redheads. Also on my mom's side of the family she had several aunts and uncles were were also redheads. Love me some red hair! :o)

skaempfer
September 7th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I am soooooo jealous! The clip was gorgeous to watch :)

gnome82
September 7th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I think guys with red hair are very sexy. Maybe I should visit next year and find me a handsome ginger!

If I wasn't engaged I'd be thinking the same :D.

CurlyCurves
September 23rd, 2012, 03:33 AM
I LOVE red hair. Here is one of my gorgeous best friend's beautiful red hair;

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/377572_4674133051721_812958771_n.jpg

DancingQueen
September 23rd, 2012, 03:51 AM
My dream hair have always been thick, straight hip-length red hair. I think I am really a redhead inside! :D

By the way, I loved that little girl sitting on her fathers shoulders, she had hair just like the girl in Brave!

Amber_Maiden
September 23rd, 2012, 03:56 AM
that's awesome! looks like fun!!

*Rose Red*
September 23rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Your friend got very beautiful hair

PixxieStix
September 23rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
Wow, I would love to go to this festival with my little brother some day! Two out of the three kids were redheads, and how fun it would be for us to be surrounded by others with red hair!