PDA

View Full Version : Aloe Vera gel... but it has lidocaine...

katfemme89
September 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
Ok so I saw someone mention that aloe vera gel is a good moisture treatment, and my ends need a good moisture treatment... but this type of aloe vera gel I have happens to be for sunburns, and it contains lidocaine... would it still be okay to apply to my hair, or no? I can't decide. I just have to figure out if the lidocaine would have a negative effect on hair. But it's way down on the ingredient list. The first two ingredients are water and aloe vera juice. Should be ok, right?:confused:

stew
September 3rd, 2012, 03:38 PM
usually in aloe gels like that there is also alcohol included in the ingredients list, which you do not want on your hair. is it clear, or is it bright blue or green? the aloe vera you want to put on your hair is 100% aloe vera gel, without any additives or colours. lidocaine might do nothing more than numb your scalp, but i wouldn't risk it if i were you. :shrug:

czech it out
September 3rd, 2012, 03:40 PM
I saw on the SMT thread that people have had bad results when using aloe with lidocane, at least in a SMT. :shrug:

katfemme89
September 3rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
usually in aloe gels like that there is also alcohol included in the ingredients list, which you do not want on your hair. is it clear, or is it bright blue or green? the aloe vera you want to put on your hair is 100% aloe vera gel, without any additives or colours. lidocaine might do nothing more than numb your scalp, but i wouldn't risk it if i were you. :shrug:

Yes it is blue, and it's called Australian Gold. I need to check the ingredient list again because if my memory serves me correctly it doesn't contain alcohol, but I could be wrong.

I saw on the SMT thread that people have had bad results when using aloe with lidocane, at least in a SMT. :shrug:

Oh that sucks :-( Where can I get pure aloe gel? I have no idea where to even start looking.:(

stew
September 3rd, 2012, 03:47 PM
you can usually find aloe at health food stores if you can't find any clear gel at a basic drug store.

katfemme89
September 3rd, 2012, 03:48 PM

What's SMT? sorry, I'm LHC abbreviations ignorant, lol.

katfemme89
September 3rd, 2012, 03:55 PM
Here's the ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Aloe Barbadensis juice, Vitamin E Acetate, Lidocaine hci, spearmint leaf oil, pollen extract, lemon peel extract, comfrey leaf extract, tilia cordata flower extract, carbomer, phenoxyethanol, triethanolamine, panthenol, glyceryl polymethacrylate, methylparaben, allantoin, peg-60 lanolin, propylparaben, blue 1.

czech it out
September 3rd, 2012, 04:06 PM
SMT is a moisture treatment that's pretty popular here, and invented by a LHC member. Maybe you could try it for your ends? Here's a link:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

And you can see under "aloe gels reported to be problematic," the ones with pain relievers are listed. Clear aloe gel is easy to find though, at least in the US. I got mine at the drugstore in the sunscreen aisle. Just remember to avoid the ones with alcohol or dyes.

In2wishin
September 3rd, 2012, 04:15 PM

Yes it is blue, and it's called Australian Gold. I need to check the ingredient list again because if my memory serves me correctly it doesn't contain alcohol, but I could be wrong.

Oh that sucks :-( Where can I get pure aloe gel? I have no idea where to even start looking.:(

There is a little confusion about aloe vera gel.

The only way to get 100% pure with no additives is to take it from the plant.

The next closest is aloe vera juice. The gel breaks down into a liquid very quickly after being taken from the plant. The juice is the gel with a small amount of citric acid added as a preservative. The best price I have found for this is at Walgreens ($9 for a gallon) and it is usually with the supplements or the first aid.

The clear gel that you buy will have thickeners to keep it in gel form like carbomer, polymers, or other things that can get crunchy or build up. If you can find Aubrey Organics, it is thickened with guar gum which is actually an excellent conditioner. The clear gels can also have preservatives like DMDM Hydantoin, urea, etc that give off formaldehyde.

The "cooling" gels generally are the ones with topical analgesics and are not good for hair.

Like anything else, know what you want and read labels. I know some who have had excellent results putting the pure juice into a mister bottle and spritzing it on the hair.

katfemme89
September 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Thank you, czech it out I will read that article right now!

And thank you for the awesome info, in2wishin!

I love you guys! You're so helpful! *hugs*

Ml001
September 3rd, 2012, 09:58 PM
I have used Lily of the Desert brand AVG with very good results. It does have a thickener as the op mentioned. But definitely no cooling or numbing agents...:eek:

catamonica
September 3rd, 2012, 11:06 PM
Aloe Vera gel is great for my skin. I put three capfuls in my conditioner. Makes my hair real soft.
I also put it on dry hair & the ends. It didn't hurt my hair one bit!

katfemme89
September 3rd, 2012, 11:11 PM
Aloe Vera gel is great for my skin. I put three capfuls in my conditioner. Makes my hair real soft.
I also put it on dry hair & the ends. It didn't hurt my hair one bit!

What brand is yours? And where did you buy it?

catamonica
September 3rd, 2012, 11:34 PM
Its called Fruit of the earth. Only about five dollars. At a Rite Aid store. In Calif. I don't know if you have a store in Kentucky, but I always buy a off brand bottle. Less expensive.

katfemme89
September 4th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Its called Fruit of the earth. Only about five dollars. At a Rite Aid store. In Calif. I don't know if you have a store in Kentucky, but I always buy a off brand bottle. Less expensive.

Yeah there's a rite aid right across the street from a walgreens (figure that one out LOL) I think I'll definitely check that out, then.