PDA

View Full Version : Confused about hair type, help please? *pics*

gratitudinous
September 3rd, 2012, 10:32 AM
I know, another hair type help thread! I hope my LHC peeps don't mind the extra clutter, but I must admit, even though I'm no good at hair typing, I love these threads! :o

I've been lurking the LHC since November 2009, but I've never done a real hair typing. I've tried but I always look at it halfway dry, see that it looks mostly straight, and brush my hair. The past few weeks have been extra humid, and I've noticed so much wavy frizz coming off my brushed hair I just had to try again!
I always brush my wet hair, and I always thought I was a straighty with lots of frizz and body, but um... are those semi-waves?! :confused:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z191/shroomynadia/hair%20stuff/9-2hairtype.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z191/shroomynadia/hair%20stuff/8-14hairtype.jpg
(pics are from two separate hair typings, several weeks apart... had to be sure it wasn't a fluke, lol)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! :flower:

SoulOfTheSea
September 3rd, 2012, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking you're a 1c.

pink.sara
September 3rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
I'd say that's 1c hair :)

DinaAG
September 3rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
1b or 1c i guess

lapushka
September 3rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
I'd go with 1c also. :)

ladylowtide
September 3rd, 2012, 01:29 PM
As a 1b, I would say that your are a 1c at least.

SlipJig
September 3rd, 2012, 01:36 PM
From my knowledge, mostly gotten from lurking, I will parrot the previous posters: looks like 1c to me!

Using various techniques to encourage the wave (plopping, scrunching with gel, brushing less), you could probably get it to make some nice defined waves, or you can get it straighter easily with a brush, I'd guess? A fairly versatile hairtype I think.

jojo
September 3rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
1b/c I'd say too and please don't brush your hair when it's wet, it causes breakage, use a wide toothed comb instead, much better!

Quixii
September 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
I'd say 1b/1c. :)

Loveisaverb
September 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Yup, my hair looks kind of similar, but I would say 1c for you!

terylenerose
September 3rd, 2012, 03:39 PM
I'd say 1c too, or 1c/2a. Those are pretty definite waves.

misspurdy06
September 3rd, 2012, 03:45 PM
1b for sure

gratitudinous
September 3rd, 2012, 03:48 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies! :flower:
1c seems to be the consensus so far, it's funny because I always thought that 1c just had body, no actual wave bends. But taking a look at the new visual hair typing guide, I can see that there is some bending to that hair type.

1b/c I'd say too and please don't brush your hair when it's wet, it causes breakage, use a wide toothed comb instead, much better!

Thank you for the advice. I know that wet hair is extra fragile, and I've been seriously trying to break the habit for the last three years! I've been brushing wet hair all my life and it feels really strange not to, I also really dislike how my hair looks when it dries unbrushed. I have really resilient hair that detangles super easily, and I don't see actual breakage from it, but maybe some of my frizz is damage... shudder:

I've had a wide toothed comb for the longest time, I should give that a try and see if I can find a good balance between not damaging and not hating my hair, lol. :)

vanillabones
September 3rd, 2012, 03:56 PM
I would say 1b/1c too, I really like your hair.

Dandelion6
September 3rd, 2012, 04:07 PM
I'm seeing 1c/2a.

gratitudinous
September 3rd, 2012, 07:15 PM
I would say 1b/1c too, I really like your hair.
Thank you! :bounce:

I'd say 1c too, or 1c/2a. Those are pretty definite waves.

I'm seeing 1c/2a.

:o I've always wanted wavy hair and always thought I was frizzy straight, maybe with some more moisture and no more brushing I can encourage it to look more like 1c/2a... :crush::cloud9:

BrownEyedBeauty
September 3rd, 2012, 09:59 PM
I see 1c or 2a but more likely it looks to be 1c.

Ml001
September 3rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
I agree with the 1c. Frizz is just curly hair begging for some tlc. start by tossing that brush. :)

BlazingHeart
September 3rd, 2012, 11:22 PM
Looks like 1c to me, but if it's frizzy, with more moisture it may become wavier. I can't remember which curly site recommended this, but one of the ways you can figure out the maximum wave/wurl/curl your hair is capable of is to CO wash, rinse, put in some more condish and leave it in, and then bend forward and scrunch your hair up towards your head a TON. Then straighten and gently tilt your head to one side and then the other to part it, and leave it alone until it dries. (Instead of the scrunching, you can also try plopping with a t-shirt.) Anyhow, this test takes a lot of conditioner, but it gives you an idea about just how much texture is possible for your hair, given treatment to bring out waves.

~Blaze

gratitudinous
September 4th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Well I think it's safe to go with 1c for now, and see what happens with more moisture and no more brush. :)
Thanks all for the help, very much appreciated! :flower:

Looks like 1c to me, but if it's frizzy, with more moisture it may become wavier. I can't remember which curly site recommended this, but one of the ways you can figure out the maximum wave/wurl/curl your hair is capable of is to CO wash, rinse, put in some more condish and leave it in, and then bend forward and scrunch your hair up towards your head a TON. Then straighten and gently tilt your head to one side and then the other to part it, and leave it alone until it dries. (Instead of the scrunching, you can also try plopping with a t-shirt.) Anyhow, this test takes a lot of conditioner, but it gives you an idea about just how much texture is possible for your hair, given treatment to bring out waves.

~Blaze

Thanks for this, I might give it a try and see what happens!

spirals
September 4th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I'm a bit confused about the 1s and 2s, but my guess is 1c. Or 2a. See? I'm confused. Nevermind.

maborosi
September 4th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Your hair looks like 1C to me, though I'm no hairtyping expert ;)

~maborosi~

MissCoco
September 4th, 2012, 06:22 PM
For me, it definitely looks like 1b hair, but that's just me. Another hair typing thread was started recently and that girls' hair looked like 1b/1c or even a full 1c, but your hair looks pretty straight. Very lovely, too, by the way!

gratitudinous
September 4th, 2012, 08:21 PM
For me, it definitely looks like 1b hair, but that's just me. Another hair typing thread was started recently and that girls' hair looked like 1b/1c or even a full 1c, but your hair looks pretty straight. Very lovely, too, by the way!
:heart: Thank you! :D

I'm so confused when it comes to anything other than the 2s and 3s! I've always thought the 1s were basically straight, with maybe some body wave, but no visible 's' waves. But in my hairtyping pics (and maybe I'm trying too hard to see this) I see at least four wave bends... lol that's why I asked for help. :o

Mesmerise
September 4th, 2012, 09:15 PM
:heart: Thank you! :D

I'm so confused when it comes to anything other than the 2s and 3s! I've always thought the 1s were basically straight, with maybe some body wave, but no visible 's' waves. But in my hairtyping pics (and maybe I'm trying too hard to see this) I see at least four wave bends... lol that's why I asked for help. :o

I think it comes down to how bendy the bends are ;). Some people may have the same number of bends, but they're more pronounced (if that makes sense). Yours looks 1b/1c to me as well... it's a wee bit wavy to be just 1b, but not quite enough to be 1c (for all that I'm no expert). It also looks as if with a brush you'd pull most of the waves out (which for me makes it lean more towards straighter than wavier).

gratitudinous
September 5th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I think it comes down to how bendy the bends are ;). Some people may have the same number of bends, but they're more pronounced (if that makes sense). Yours looks 1b/1c to me as well... it's a wee bit wavy to be just 1b, but not quite enough to be 1c (for all that I'm no expert). It also looks as if with a brush you'd pull most of the waves out (which for me makes it lean more towards straighter than wavier).

That makes sense, I do pull the waves out very easily, I've never gone without brushing my hair, so I hadn't seen them before now. I'll just go with the consensus here, and stop wishing for something I don't have. :o :)