PDA

View Full Version : Dead Sea Salt Scalp Scrub

louzen
September 3rd, 2012, 09:00 AM
Hi

I've started using a small amount of dead sea salt in my conditioner to exfoliate and scrub (gently) my scalp. My scalp is very gunky with hardened sebum in some places (even though I wash it regularly and don't use ANY products), due to a scalp dermatitis.

Anyway, it's done a great job and has cleared away all the gunk like no oil could do (I had been deep oiling for 9 months which wouldn't budge it)

I recently bought a USB 200x magnification microscope which showed I had dead skin and sebum building up at the hair follicle opening. When I looked at it afterwards, the gunk had all gone! (I could kick myself now that I didn't take a before snapshot)

Does anyone else here use dead sea salt as a scrub? Or any other scrub? Would be great to hear other people's methods.

Avital88
September 3rd, 2012, 09:24 AM
i have only used it for my body but would be a great idea to use for scalp.. might try it soon as i have a lot of dead sea scrub here, glad it helped you with your scalp! Whenever i swim in the dead sea my hair and skin are extremely soft afterwards..

SlipJig
September 3rd, 2012, 10:55 AM
I will have to try this (though I don't have any dead sea salt on hand... maybe some other sorta salt will do). Salt scrubs, sometimes with a little olive oil and a drop of essential oil, have worked really well as exfoliators for the rest of my skin in the past... why not the scalp?

I have used brown sugar to scrub my face (alone or with a bit of castor oil) and once, mixed with a little conditioner, to exfoliate my scalp. It worked nicely and smells divine. Feels good too!

louzen
September 3rd, 2012, 11:29 AM
I might have to try sugar as a scrub too - not sure how it compares with dead sea salt for efficacy, but I guess it's worth a try and at least you can use copious amounts without having to worry about it drying out your hair

ratgirldjh
September 3rd, 2012, 11:37 AM
Yes I have used sugar when I was WO. It actually seemed to clean my hair a bit too! I think it made my ends a bit dry though but keep in mind I was WO at the time.

Oh and I just remembered that I used epsom salts before too when WO. I think I liked epsom salts better than sugar - but it does appear to leave a film on your hair. I'm sure it would be different mixed with conditioner though.

I've also used borax on my scalp long ago trying to get out a heavy oiling. It seemed a little damaging though but I might have scrubbed to hard.