PDA

View Full Version : - Is it ok for me to use the word "nappy" in a positive way ?

RedheadMistress
September 2nd, 2012, 09:54 PM
- First of all, hope I use the correct words, I'm always trying to find the best and non-offensive words to use, english is my 3rd language and I want to speak/write it well and showing my clear intent. With that caveat:

Was having a conversation with one of my SO's and I was complaining about my sidecut growing out supercurly, wishing All my hair was as healthy and curly, so it doesn't look so weird when it's growing out, and talked about when I was younger and my sister cut my waist length hair down to a weird flat top hairstyle that grew out and since the hair was So healthy and curly, I had a little fro .

Then my So mentioned jewfro's and I said it's not like it was a proper fro, since my hair isn't supercurly in tiny curls (which I think are beautiful) like nappy hair, so yea I guess it was more like a "jewfro" as he calls it . (not what I would call it) .

Since hanging out on this forum and checking out tonnes of awesome useful videos of people of colour wrapping their hair which is one of the best things I have found from joining LHC, heatless way of straightening my curls, fckiing amazing ! So from hearing a lot of people talking about nappy hair and watching documentary with Chris Rock called Good hair (which is recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it) I thought it was ok to use, or maybe there's a better description for people who don't have that kind of hair naturally to use ?

I'm a person of colour as well and no I don't have nappy hair, my SO was saying the word isn't for Me to reclaim, but I didn't know the negative connotation, I've only heard people talking about it positively, since I've only recently even heard the word nappy, I'm born and raised and Sweden . Don't know what the swedish translation would be, but even my friends with that texture hair didn't call it that . . but then again we didn't talk much about our hairs .

I just want to know from people who aren't my white male SO, but ofc I understand that Some people don't speak for all, but I'd rather take someones word who knows better ?

Hope this is ok, I want to fix my language if it's wrong, since I don't want to offend people .

Diamond.Eyes
September 2nd, 2012, 09:58 PM
No offense intended, but I have always thought 'nappy' to be a rather negative adjective when describing ones hair. :o

ancilla
September 2nd, 2012, 10:00 PM
Yeah I agree that it has a very negative connotation to it. Like someone who doesn't take care of their hair. In a way it is on the same level of offense as saying the "N" word here in America.

Instead of 'nappy' why not say 'very curly' or '4 level' type hair? Some people term it as 'ethnic' hair but I think that is still offensive because it is 'othering' people.

Kaelee
September 2nd, 2012, 10:08 PM
I've never heard "nappy" to describe hair...but I think it is UK slang for diaper! I read the thread title and thought "what is offensive about diapers?" (other than the obvious :D)

Rufflebutt
September 2nd, 2012, 10:49 PM
Usually when I hear the word "nappy", it's being used as a bit of an insult. But I really don't know any other word to describe the unique texture other than "extremely curly"

Usually when someone uses the term "nappy" hair, a lot of people imagine extremely curly hair that is frizzy, matted, and poofy to the extreme. Which is not the kind of image I want people to have when I describe that hair texture. Which is why I stick to very curly/extremely curly.

RedheadMistress
September 2nd, 2012, 10:54 PM
- Oh wow, never heard it's similar to that word . **** .
When my SO said this I quickly googled this to see if my language is racist and I didn't want to base what's ok just from random internetppl but most people wrote it's fine if it's not used in a deragatory way so I thought I'd ask here so it's not anonymous people .
but yeah didn't know it was that bad . Ethnic hair somehow doesn't sound right, ethnic is a big word that can encompass several kinds of hair textures and colours . . but if that's the best word and non-offensive, I can use that .

"Very curly" I always thought is too vague, for all someone knows my hair is "very curly", it depends on peoples gauge ?

4 level doesn't work outside the world of hair forums, like offline . But yeah I can think about "ethnic hair" and "very curly" hair, thanks !

By the way, just sharing also how I see the words, because I know depending on where people live/grew up, words can have different connotations and depending on your experiences with them .

Yeah I agree that it has a very negative connotation to it. Like someone who doesn't take care of their hair. In a way it is on the same level of offense as saying the "N" word here in America.

Instead of 'nappy' why not say 'very curly' or '4 level' type hair? Some people term it as 'ethnic' hair but I think that is still offensive because it is 'othering' people.

RedheadMistress
September 2nd, 2012, 10:56 PM
Usually when I hear the word "nappy", it's being used as a bit of an insult. But I really don't know any other word to describe the unique texture other than "extremely curly"

Usually when someone uses the term "nappy" hair, a lot of people imagine extremely curly hair that is frizzy, matted, and poofy to the extreme. Which is not the kind of image I want people to have when I describe that hair texture. Which is why I stick to very curly/extremely curly.

- Extremely curly is my favourite so far, want to know also what people with such curly hair say what's non offensive . I like extreme ^^

Dovetail
September 2nd, 2012, 11:45 PM
I've heard kinky, springy, wooly, and ziggy xD

MinderMutsig
September 3rd, 2012, 02:27 AM
I think nappy is a word mostly used as a derogatory word or, in the world of hairforums, by people with kinky curly hair to describe their own hair. In which case it's definitely not always used in a negative way.

Anyway, I've decided for myself since I'm from another culture and I can't truly understand all the hangups that are connected to this word that it's best not to use it at all. Positive or negative. I use kinky curly since I feel it best describes what the hair is actually doing and what it looks like.

Tisiloves
September 3rd, 2012, 02:47 AM
If you say "nappy" I'm going to think you're refering to what you use for a baby.

I've heard the term "hyper-curly" used, I think that's a nice descriptive, non-offensive term.

afu
September 3rd, 2012, 02:55 AM
I've never heard the world nappy used to describe hair, for me nappy would be the thing to put on a baby's bottom (nappy short for napkin) or a horse which tries to drag it's rider home!

Tabitha
September 3rd, 2012, 04:00 AM
I've never heard "nappy" to describe hair...but I think it is UK slang for diaper!
It's not slang, it's our actual word and what you would see on a packet of Pampers. Diaper is not a word we use at all.

If you say "nappy" I'm going to think you're refering to what you use for a baby.

I've never heard the world nappy used to describe hair, for me nappy would be the thing to put on a baby's bottom (nappy short for napkin) or a horse which tries to drag it's rider home!
The naughty horse reference is the only other one I know. But then I've never talked hair with anyone whose hair wasn't caucasian.

MonaMayfair
September 3rd, 2012, 05:21 AM
Well I've heard it used in an insulting way in Nicki Minaj songs...

Correa
September 3rd, 2012, 05:28 AM

Thats what I was thinking. Its interesting how one word is used to mean different things in different places.

palaeoqueen
September 3rd, 2012, 05:45 AM
I've never heard "nappy" to describe hair...but I think it is UK slang for diaper! I read the thread title and thought "what is offensive about diapers?" (other than the obvious :D)

Almost... our word is nappy but it's not slang, it's the actual word.

I've never heard the word "nappy" for hair either.

Arya
September 3rd, 2012, 06:06 AM
Nappy and wooly are not okay to use in English, if you're not of African descent, because they've been used derogatorily for so long. Wooly is comparing their hair to sheep's wool, which is also problematic. Kinky, or 'African Hair' is probably more correct, but you're still going to have problems with those terms. I say 'Type 4 hair', and then explain it if the person doesn't get it. In private with friends, (who understand that we don't mean it derogatorily or stereotypically) we'll sometimes refer to 3c-4a/b hair as 'Black hair' or 'African hair' but I would never say nappy or wooly hair with anyone.

Jewfro is touchy too. I don't think it's really ok to use that term if you're not Jewish. It's one of those ones I wouldn't say at all, either.

lazuliblue
September 3rd, 2012, 06:09 AM

This! ^^

In the UK, it does indeed mean something you use on a baby; it's not even slang, that is the only word we have for it!

I have no idea what nappy hair is :confused:

Falcore
September 3rd, 2012, 06:35 AM
In Australia as well nappy is what you'd put on a baby.. nappy is not said here to describe hair, that's for sure.

LoveAngelBeauty
September 3rd, 2012, 07:40 AM
Try kinky, curly, coily. I prefer the last two terms the most when people are describing my hair. I don't like nappy and don't use it unless I'm in a bad mood with my hair. So, I would definitely find it insulting if someone called my hair nappy. But, I'm also aware that many people use it and have reclaimed it positively.

Still, I don't like it. If the OP desrcibed my hair as nappy, I don't think I would be offended because I know your intent. But since you are asking, i will tell you that I don't like it. I can only speak for myself, but I find it a problematic word, so I'd just avoid using it :)

Avital88
September 3rd, 2012, 07:57 AM
I thought About diaper too,we call very curly hair,wild hair,sheep hair or fro,coming from à curly family,but i would stick to very curly or kinky for non relatives.or very happy hair,haha i always see curls as happy hair

naturally yours
September 3rd, 2012, 08:50 AM
It depends on the context/intent. I call my hair curly. sometimes I'll say nappy. I and many others on predominantly black hair care forums use it as an adjective for super curly hair. It can be used as a insult or used in a negative way to descibe your hair. Op you wouldnt have offend me all if I heard you call your hair nappy based on intent and context. You wasnt using it as an insult nor was you using it to negatively describe your hair, but as super curly. I dont have a problem with what you said.

RedheadMistress
September 3rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
- Alright, thanks, I'll remember to change the word in my vocabulary (:
Glad people understand I'm not trying to be offensive or anything.
Never heard coily before, but it describes it well . I was thinking about using "kinky" before but for some reason I thought the first one was offensive to use . . but yeah something like curly can never be offensive, which feels like the safer bet ^^

Try kinky, curly, coily. I prefer the last two terms the most when people are describing my hair. I don't like nappy and don't use it unless I'm in a bad mood with my hair. So, I would definitely find it insulting if someone called my hair nappy. But, I'm also aware that many people use it and have reclaimed it positively.

Still, I don't like it. If the OP desrcibed my hair as nappy, I don't think I would be offended because I know your intent. But since you are asking, i will tell you that I don't like it. I can only speak for myself, but I find it a problematic word, so I'd just avoid using it :)

RedheadMistress
September 3rd, 2012, 12:01 PM
- I personally don't call hairs "jewfro"s but one of my SO's does, which is why I wrote in my original post it's not what I would call things . .

Jewfro is touchy too. I don't think it's really ok to use that term if you're not Jewish. It's one of those ones I wouldn't say at all, either.

RedheadMistress
September 3rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Well I've heard it used in an insulting way in Nicki Minaj songs...

- Never heard Nicki Minaj's music, but it wouldn't be surprising . . from what I've learned a lot of people look down on natural hair . :/

Artisticat
September 3rd, 2012, 12:28 PM
I think it's great that you asked the question first and foremost!
My best rule of thumb...if I think a word COULD be construed as offensive - I don't say it. I try to find a more appropriate word that's just a descriptive.

In this day and age, I believe it's important to be more sensitive to others in our word choices. And we can do this without hindering free speech.

Here's the definition from this link: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nappy
nap·py 1 (np)
adj. nap·pi·er, nap·pi·est
1. Having a nap; fuzzy: a nappy carpet
2. Often Offensive Tightly curled or coiled. Used of hair.

CurlyCap
September 3rd, 2012, 01:24 PM
I don't like the words nappy or kinky. Waaaay to many pejorative associations. A lot of pople have been using the word coily, and I like that. For me, it gets to the idea that the spirals are super tiny. I haven't met anyone in real life obsessed enough with hair to know what "Type 4" means.

My hair hangs in a weird place between 3 and 4. Some of the curls are loose enough to be 3, but it hangs and behaves like Type 4. For instance, when I try to brush my hair, or restyle my hair, it acts a lot more like my type 4 friends than my type 3 friends.

That being said, whenever someone (hairstylist, relative, etc) got frustrated with my hair or wanted to pressure me to straighten, I'd hear a lot about how they didn't like the nappy or kinky aspects of my hair. It was almost as if they thought that if they used the most insulting words like nappy or kinky to describe my hair, I'd feel pressured to change my hair into something manageable.

CurlyCap
September 3rd, 2012, 01:33 PM
Btw, the "nappy" terms comes from the likening of black hair to wool. When I was little, I didn't mind that, because sheep are soft. But as I got older I realized that the European standard of beauty was to have hair like a silk skein and that meant black hair was on the complete other side of the spectrum. So...crap.

But anyway. The idea goes that black hair is like wool, and just as when wool is initially woven into cloth, natural black styles (and the groomed hair itself) has a fuzzy texture, like the napping on (cheaper) wool clothes. It's basically a way of saying when you touch black hair, it feels fuzzy. So the hair is like wool napping, it's "nappy".

I don't know. I think soft, fuzzy hair is cool, but some people a long time ago had to otherize it, and now it's considered a pejorative word.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 3rd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Btw, the "nappy" terms comes from the likening of black hair to wool. When I was little, I didn't mind that, because sheep are soft. But as I got older I realized that the European standard of beauty was to have hair like a silk skein and that meant black hair was on the complete other side of the spectrum. So...crap.

But anyway. The idea goes that black hair is like wool, and just as when wool is initially woven into cloth, natural black styles (and the groomed hair itself) has a fuzzy texture, like the napping on (cheaper) wool clothes. It's basically a way of saying when you touch black hair, it feels fuzzy. So the hair is like wool napping, it's "nappy".

I don't know. I think soft, fuzzy hair is cool, but some people a long time ago had to otherize it, and now it's considered a pejorative word.

Excellent explanation. But I would like to know what a "Jewfro" is, it doesn't sound complimentary, I haven't heard that word before...

lapushka
September 3rd, 2012, 03:11 PM
Excellent explanation. But I would like to know what a "Jewfro" is, it doesn't sound complimentary, I haven't heard that word before...

Worse... Try and Google it sometime. :eek: :(

MinderMutsig
September 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Excellent explanation. But I would like to know what a "Jewfro" is, it doesn't sound complimentary, I haven't heard that word before...Think Art Garfunkel in the early days.

Ginbill
September 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
I've definitely heard nappy in a negative context but if you were using it for your own hair I wouldn't think twice but if you are describing someone else's unless you know them well I wouldn't use it around them. Just my two cents!

Unicorn
September 3rd, 2012, 04:11 PM
I'd say it's best not to use it. It bothers some people, but others use it about their own hair with no problem. Its just not worth trying to work out who's ok with it and who's not.

It's a Black American thing. (UKer here) I tend to use the word afro, as in afro hair. It's used commonly in the UK, I've never known anyone find it offensive.

Unicorn

Loviatar
September 3rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
I have always just said afro, which is normal here in the UK, or maybe Black hair if I were writing it down (as I don't just mean black hair colour). I have read the word 'nappy' in a couple of books, but it was used by Black American characters who disliked their natural hair.

My Jewish friend says she has a Jewfro if she cuts it short, but it's not a term I'd be comfortable using.

I guess I could just say "very tight curls" too.

MrsGuther
September 3rd, 2012, 04:40 PM
In my region, the word nappy is in reference to someone's hair that isn't well kept. Nappy is used in a very insulting way.

bunnylake
September 3rd, 2012, 04:48 PM
"curly course hair" sounds better and more accurate!

pepperminttea
September 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
This thread's been an interesting read, I'll try to use 'coily' or 'tight curls' from now on. :) I didn't realise kinky was a problematic word to use for type 4 hair; duly noted.

Is it? I've definitely seen some with fine type 4 hair here, and I thought type 4 hair was generally more fragile? A lot of people put straight and fine together, and curly and coarse, but often that's just not the case.

Unicorn
September 3rd, 2012, 05:36 PM
I'm afraid it isn't, afro hair can be very fine. Very fine afro hair feels like the softest cotton wool. mine is quite coarse, but that's the Chinese/Indian ancestry.

This thread's been an interesting read, I'll try to use 'coily' or 'tight curls' from now on. :) I didn't realise kinky was a problematic word to use for type 4 hair; duly noted.

Is it? I've definitely seen some with fine type 4 hair here, and I thought type 4 hair was generally more fragile? A lot of people put straight and fine together, and curly and coarse, but often that's just not the case.

I didn't realise kinky was problematic either... :)

Unicorn

trillian
September 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Personally, as a Caucasian female, having grown up in the southern US, I would never use this word to describe someone else's hair. Ever. Even if I remotely thought it applied.

I am going to cite urban dictionary to you. Usually, I don't use this as a source for real words often - but! Since we are talking slang, and multiple cultural contexts, I give you this...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nappy

I would suggest looking at the first two pages. It gives an interesting perspective on perceptions of the word.

In2wishin
September 3rd, 2012, 06:39 PM
Whenever I hear "nappy" in reference to hair I am reminded of Don Imus (a nationally syndicated radio personality) referring to a women's college basketball team as "nappy headed ****". It was considered so offensive that he was taken off the radio.

Unicorn
September 3rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
I believe that for Black Americans that use the term in a non-derogatory way, they are "reclaiming" the word. I'd guess that while that re-claimation is in it's transitional state, only those who have such hair should use the expression. Some people will find it offensive those with 4 something hair take a lesser risk when using the word nappy.

Unicorn

truepeacenik
September 3rd, 2012, 08:43 PM
I'd not use nappy for hair.
I've a great friend who is mixed and I have called her hair strong, serious curls that could rule the world.
Really she is the intersection of Jewfro and a Natural.

And on Jewfro, I joke that that is the hair I wish I had. I've got the Jew, where is my fro?
Basically, like any culturally loaded word, tread lightly.
It helps if you are in the club. Married/partnered is close.

dawnss
September 4th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I would be really careful about that word. For many people of color, or those who look like they have "nappy hair" (or hair that isn't straight or type 3 curls, or hair that grows up inside of down) that word can be really hurtful. Hair that for some mothers and fathers is difficult to comb and it is somewhat tough to put into submission lol. Since I am black american I can tell you that in my personal experience that a word like that just brings up lots of sensitive issues about race and beauty that some people would not feel comfortable discussing or even trying to discuss. Or for many women they can remember being in tears while getting their hair combed, so it really shouldn't be a wonder as to why relaxers are so popular in certain communities (granted their are a multitude of reasons why women, and some men, choose to have a relaxer).

Like any other word their is a context that is associated with it and their is history with it. Whether or not we like it, words are alive and they really do have power. Thank you for taking the time to learn about the word.

For some individuals, the word does not have a negative meaning for me I will admit that while my hair is coily and springy and spongey at times it is rather unruly (some people would say nappy because I have an afro, at times, and it is really hard to comb, if someone does not know what they're doing).

palaeoqueen
September 4th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'd say it's best not to use it. It bothers some people, but others use it about their own hair with no problem. Its just not worth trying to work out who's ok with it and who's not.

It's a Black American thing. (UKer here) I tend to use the word afro, as in afro hair. It's used commonly in the UK, I've never known anyone find it offensive.

Unicorn

I'm in the UK too and I agree that" afro hair" is commonly used and inoffensive. I would only use it to describe type 4 hair though. My niece is mixed-race with 3c hair and I tend to describe it as "tightly coiled/tight spiral curls" or something like that.

hermosamendoza
September 4th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Here in the US I've only heard it when one black person is describing another black persons hair as nasty. Like saying "her/his hair is so nappy and disgusting." It really means unkept from what my uncle (who is black) explained to me

HappyHair87
September 4th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I HATE the term nappy! I wish the word would just die.

dawnss
September 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I'm in the UK too and I agree that" afro hair" is commonly used and inoffensive. I would only use it to describe type 4 hair though. My niece is mixed-race with 3c hair and I tend to describe it as "tightly coiled/tight spiral curls" or something like that.

Here's the weird thing: type 4a hair is curly to it just has tighter coils and spiral curls than type 4a. If you've seen an afro then it generally does not have a spiral curl pattern it is coiled. Whereas there are type fours who have curly hair. I can understand though why you use the terminology you use.

Anje
September 4th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Like others, I'd stay away from "nappy" and stick to terms like "coily" or maybe "sproingy" for those tight spring-like curls.

FWIW, my father-in-law referred to his big curly jewish and nearly-spherical hairdo as an "Isro".

LoveSnap
September 4th, 2012, 04:17 PM
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x459/Glamourstruckk/Natural/washnfro.jpg

I personally describe my hair as kinky. I know that even kinky is not favored but doesn't carry the weight and negativity of nappy. I also describe it as afro hair. I HAVE noticed that my UK YouTube subscriptions mostly say "afro hair" but as it's been said before, the term isn't popular in the US.

LoveSnap
September 4th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Oh gosh is that image embarrassingly big! I don't have the ability to edit, sorry!

Nae
September 4th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Oh gosh is that image embarrassingly big! I don't have the ability to edit, sorry!

It is great and your hair is beautiful!!! :crush:

Unicorn
September 4th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Me too, I use it for type 4s.

I HATE the term nappy! I wish the word would just die.
:spitting: Tell us how you really feel.

Actually, I've learned that in the States it has very negative connotations for many. Personally I wouldn't use it there. As a UKer, I simply wouldn't pick up subtle cultural hints that may tell me when people find it offensive,

Unicorn

LoveAngelBeauty
September 4th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Kinky definitely doesn't bother me as much as nappy. Although I remember getting super upset because two of my "friends" kept calling my hair nappy/kinky and this was when I was getting it relaxed, so it was straight but not flat ironed straight. But nowadays, I often describe my hair as kinky although I feel sensitive when others describe my hair as kinky and I get really happy when someone calls my hair curly...so maybe it bothers me more than I realize...hm

Miss Catrina
September 4th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I've always wondered this too.

Greenfire
September 4th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Hahaha, opened the thread wondering what on earth is wrong with calling a diaper a nappy?? Wasn't even thinking hair!!!

Yeah, it's called nappy because it has a nap, like fuzzy wool gets, so probably not something you'd like to call your hair. I'd avoid it as being mean used that way. Why not just call it spiral hair? That's what it looks like it would do if you let it, and embraced its natural texture.

Ambystoma
September 4th, 2012, 09:20 PM
What a beautiful colour you have LoveSnap! It has a golden shine to it in some parts and a reddish shine in others, I guess because of the lighting angle changes. It's very pretty!

To contribute to the thread: I would never want to use the word nappy, since the only time I have heard it used it has always been in a very insulting, unpleasant context. I describe type 4 as "very curly", since I'm not sure if "afro" might make someone feel uncomfortable or not.

midbackorbust
September 4th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I'd steer clear, as it has pretty racist connotations.

midbackorbust
September 4th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I'd steer clear, as it has pretty racist connotations.

maborosi
September 4th, 2012, 11:06 PM
In the US, it's a pretty loaded word that often has racial connotations that you want to avoid. I don't use it because, at least where I am, it sounds really really rude.

~maborosi~

Asprettyasme
September 4th, 2012, 11:37 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

teela1978
September 4th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I correlate the word "nappy" to horrible teenage girls picking on someone. At my high school it was most often the principal, who's hair was "so nappy she has to wear that nasty wig to cover it up". Probably best not to ever use it. Ever.

lacrymosa777
September 5th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Honestly....if you are not black it would never sound right even if used in a positiveway....heck it even doesnt sound right when black people use it

LoveSnap
September 5th, 2012, 06:44 AM
It is great and your hair is beautiful!!! :crush:

Aw, thanks.

What a beautiful colour you have LoveSnap! It has a golden shine to it in some parts and a reddish shine in others, I guess because of the lighting angle changes. It's very pretty!

To contribute to the thread: I would never want to use the word nappy, since the only time I have heard it used it has always been in a very insulting, unpleasant context. I describe type 4 as "very curly", since I'm not sure if "afro" might make someone feel uncomfortable or not.

Thank you! I never thought about it but some COULD be offended by "Afro"...hmm. As for the color in my 'fro, that's old color from a year ago. lol. I never cut and haven't re-dyed.

palaeoqueen
September 5th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Here's the weird thing: type 4a hair is curly to it just has tighter coils and spiral curls than type 4a. If you've seen an afro then it generally does not have a spiral curl pattern it is coiled. Whereas there are type fours who have curly hair. I can understand though why you use the terminology you use.

Erm I know, I was just giving a general description of the terminology I use. I didn't actually say I use the term "afro hair" to describe all type 4 hair, I was trying to be concise and give a quick general answer of the words I use that are considered acceptable in the UK. The OP was about what words are and aren't acceptable.

Milui Elenath
September 6th, 2012, 05:41 AM
It's not slang, it's our actual word and what you would see on a packet of Pampers. Diaper is not a word we use at all.

SNIP

Here too in Australia we use the word nappy and never diaper. At my workplace, daycare, we even pick up our casual staff (which are often working tourists) if they say diaper and tell them that here we use the word nappy. :) (we don't want to confuse our children . . . okay it's true we also don't want to be too American :D)

On the hair front though I have never heard the expression but I certainly think there are better descriptive words. It seems nappy has a lot of connotation associated with it no matter where in the world you are.

dawnss
September 6th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Erm I know, I was just giving a general description of the terminology I use. I didn't actually say I use the term "afro hair" to describe all type 4 hair, I was trying to be concise and give a quick general answer of the words I use that are considered acceptable in the UK. The OP was about what words are and aren't acceptable.

Oh ok, I was just making a general observation. It wasn't meant to step on your toes, sorry if it offended you. It looks like I misread one of your posts again... sigh. I think I really need my glasses checked. Now that you mention it, there is nothing wrong with using afro, and there are some type fours who have afros, I have an afro if I do not use a product to define my kinky coils/curls.

palaeoqueen
September 7th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Oh ok, I was just making a general observation. It wasn't meant to step on your toes, sorry if it offended you. It looks like I misread one of your posts again... sigh. I think I really need my glasses checked. Now that you mention it, there is nothing wrong with using afro, and there are some type fours who have afros, I have an afro if I do not use a product to define my kinky coils/curls.

No no, not offended, don't worry about it :cool:

spirals
September 7th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I use the word kinky. People I know who have that hairtype are not offended.

spirals
September 7th, 2012, 10:06 PM
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x459/Glamourstruckk/Natural/washnfro.jpg

I personally describe my hair as kinky. I know that even kinky is not favored but doesn't carry the weight and negativity of nappy. I also describe it as afro hair. I HAVE noticed that my UK YouTube subscriptions mostly say "afro hair" but as it's been said before, the term isn't popular in the US.
Whatever you call it, it's gorgeous. The curls are healthy and well-defined.

elbow chic
September 8th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Where I live, no. Not if you want to live.

I'd go with "tightly-curly" or "afro-textured." My DD's school principal has afro-textured type 4 hair, wears it natural with a variety of headbands and accessories.

I canNOT imagine ever saying she had "nappy hair." That carries a connotation of being unkempt, low-class, not natural and professional and polished, if that makes sense.

lacefrost
September 8th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I prefer coily, tightly curled and hypercurly.

I prefer hypercurly because if I were to say to someone on the internet that my hair is "very curly" they think it's wavy. I've had my hair in an afro and said, "my hair is very curly," and a woman with 2c hair responded, "me too." It just makes me sigh.

I don't like "afro-textured" because there's no such thing. There are people of African descent with hair in the 2cs and 3a/3b. There are people of Caucasian descent with hair in the 4s or whose hair afros.

I also wouldn't use "afro-textured" in terms of "their hair turns into an afro." Because there are people with hair in the 4s that doesn't turn into an afro, it forms perfect ringlets. Like so: http://tomboylovesmakeup.tumblr.com/post/24231023465/beautiffulcurls-for-more-natural-hair-pics My hair is hypercurly like hers but it will never do that. My hair afros, hers doesn't.

Unicorn
September 9th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I prefer coily, tightly curled and hypercurly.

I prefer hypercurly because if I were to say to someone on the internet that my hair is "very curly" they think it's wavy. I've had my hair in an afro and said, "my hair is very curly," and a woman with 2c hair responded, "me too." It just makes me sigh.

I don't like "afro-textured" because there's no such thing. There are people of African descent with hair in the 2cs and 3a/3b. There are people of Caucasian descent with hair in the 4s or whose hair afros.

I also wouldn't use "afro-textured" in terms of "their hair turns into an afro." Because there are people with hair in the 4s that doesn't turn into an afro, it forms perfect ringlets. Like so: http://tomboylovesmakeup.tumblr.com/post/24231023465/beautiffulcurls-for-more-natural-hair-pics My hair is hypercurly like hers but it will never do that. My hair afros, hers doesn't.
Afro is derivative of African. As in Afro-centric or Afro-Caribbean, so there clearly is such a thing, in that it is a commonly used expression. Certainly Afro-Caribbean is commonly used in the UK as I understand that Afro-centric is a known expression in the States. That there are exceptions does not invalidate the expression. The word Afro was in use before the hair style although it did come to be used as the name of a style much as the same style was often called a "Natural" in the States.

The description "Afro hair", has been in use far longer than the "type-4" expression.

Unicorn

CurlyCurves
September 10th, 2012, 06:19 AM
In England, nappy also means diaper, but I wouldn't use it to refer to hair. It's offensive in my eyes.

palaeoqueen
September 10th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Afro is derivative of African. As in Afro-centric or Afro-Caribbean, so there clearly is such a thing, in that it is a commonly used expression. Certainly Afro-Caribbean is commonly used in the UK as I understand that Afro-centric is a known expression in the States. That there are exceptions does not invalidate the expression. The word Afro was in use before the hair style although it did come to be used as the name of a style much as the same style was often called a "Natural" in the States.

The description "Afro hair", has been in use far longer than the "type-4" expression.

Unicorn

Yep, this. "Afro" can refer to a hairstyle but it generally (in the UK at least) is just a shortening for "African".

Along the same lines as "Afro-Caribbean" I am seeing increasing use of the term "Afro-European", especially in SE London where I used to live.

alyanna
September 10th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Interesting question OP, since I was wondering the same thing.

Around where I am currently living, there are lots of people with 4 textured hair that are also very white. So even "Afro-hair" would be inaccurate.

"Ethnic" hair doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either, since it's a relative term. Around here, having 4 hair doesn't make you "ethnic" in any way since it is quite "local".

4-type hair comes with a variety of skin colors and geographic origins, so there has to be some descriptive that is not related to what we conventionally consider "race".

lacefrost
September 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM

Unicorn

I know. What I'm saying is that not only is there no such thing as Afro/African type hair (because there are people of African descent, or just plain African with hair in the 2s) but that it also shouldn't be applied to people's hair on the basis of it fitting a style.

When someone say "afro-textured hair" I have no idea what to picture. It could be fine loose 3b curls. It could 4b coils. I'm not sure what to think. It's much the same as someone saying someone has "white girl hair." I'm not sure what I should be picturing. Straight? Very curly? Wavy?

Around where I am currently living, there are lots of people with 4 textured hair that are also very white. So even "Afro-hair" would be inaccurate.

"Ethnic" hair doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either, since it's a relative term. Around here, having 4 hair doesn't make you "ethnic" in any way since it is quite "local".

4-type hair comes with a variety of skin colors and geographic origins, so there has to be some descriptive that is not related to what we conventionally consider "race".

Yes, this is what I was trying to say. "Afro-textured" is an expression without a strongly concrete meaning. It's too vague for me.

Unicorn
September 10th, 2012, 03:52 PM
When someone say says, 'person', I picture a human with two arms, legs, eyes & ears a nose, mouth, eyelashes and hair on their head, standing upright. Now there are huge numbers of people for whom any one or more of these descriptions would be invalid, that doesn't make the concept or use of the word invalid.

I can only reiterate the word 'Afro' isn't based on a hair style, so the ability to create an "Afro style" is irrelevant to the description. Afro, based on 'derivative of Africa' indicates to me that it is something/hair that is notably/visibly like something one would associate with African. If someone with 'Afro hair' happens to be white I see no reason the descriptor is a problem, 'Afro is a broad brush, just as the term 'black' is a broad brush when applied to people, as is the term 'white'. But both are valid none the less as communication tools.

Unicorn

perkidanman
September 10th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I use "kinky" meaning that it kinks or tangels easily but that gets me strange looks when I say "my hair is sometimes kinky".

lacefrost
September 11th, 2012, 10:36 PM
When someone say says, 'person', I picture a human with two arms, legs, eyes & ears a nose, mouth, eyelashes and hair on their head, standing upright. Now there are huge numbers of people for whom any one or more of these descriptions would be invalid, that doesn't make the concept or use of the word invalid.

I can only reiterate the word 'Afro' isn't based on a hair style, so the ability to create an "Afro style" is irrelevant to the description. Afro, based on 'derivative of Africa' indicates to me that it is something/hair that is notably/visibly like something one would associate with African. If someone with 'Afro hair' happens to be white I see no reason the descriptor is a problem, 'Afro is a broad brush, just as the term 'black' is a broad brush when applied to people, as is the term 'white'. But both are valid none the less as communication tools.

Unicorn

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying "afro textured" is an invalid phrase. It is just a phrase that lacks concreteness to me. "Derivative of Africa" also lacks concreteness for me. Africa is a huge continent with many people with different hair textures. For me, saying "Afro textured hair" is like saying "Irish colored hair." It suggests that those in Africa or of African descent all have the same or similar hair type: tightly curly fine hair. But that is not so. Just as not all Irish are redheads. I understand that those may be some connotative meanings but those connotative meanings are not very accurate and generalize a wealth of diversity.

If "afro-textured" is a phrase that works for many people, then that's fine. :shrug: I'm not going to tell anybody no. I just prefer not to use it myself because it holds no inherent meaning. I prefer using words like "curly" and "coily" or "fine" and "coarse" because they hold a strongly concrete meaning.

LoveSnap
September 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I always use afro-textured to mean that the hair is in the shape of an afro. That's why I use it to describe my hair--it's an afro! lol. I never really considered that it could be a shortening of afro-american as in describing a person.

Unicorn
September 12th, 2012, 12:27 PM
As stated Afro is a broad brush, pretty much any description of humans will be abroad brush, I don't see how 'Afro' or "derivative of African" is any different.

Of course each individual can use whatever expression they wish, but to claim the expression as invalid, implies an object declaration that it clearly isn't.

Unicorn