PDA

View Full Version : CO washing transition period?

T.J
September 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
Hi everyone. Still a bit of a newbie here, so apologies if this somehow winds up in the wrong place or something like that :o

I recently started conditioner-only washing. I'm aware that there is a "transition period", but I was just wondering

a) How long this period lasted for any other members when they started and
b) your experience within this period (how your hair felt, etc).

My hair currently feels oily, even though I CO'd just yesterday :(. I'm really hoping this is normal, as I really want the CO method to work for me.

Any advice? TIA :flower:

katfemme89
September 2nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
What kind of conditioner are you using? A too-heavy conditioner could be the culprit.

T.J
September 2nd, 2012, 03:35 PM
What kind of conditioner are you using? A too-heavy conditioner could be the culprit.

I used the Garnier Sleek and Shine to do the actual wash, and then the Tresemme Naturals as a conditioner

lmfbs
September 2nd, 2012, 03:44 PM
I didn't have any transition period at all. I went from daily washing with S&C to CO only every second day, and now can stretch washes to 7-10 days.

My hair felt different - maybe heavier and less squeaky clean, but it wasn't oily.

Did you clarify before you CO wash? I think Sleek and Shine has amodimethicone in it, which can build up very quickly. Usually, CO washers use cone-free conditioners (though personally I use light cones when CO washing without a problem).

T.J
September 2nd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Did you clarify before you CO wash? I think Sleek and Shine has amodimethicone in it, which can build up very quickly

Hm, well, I have checked this one, and it hasn't got any cones that I can see. I'm in the UK, and I thought the Sleek and Shine was supposed to be the equivalent to the US Repair and Shine, which didn't have any cones in it :confused:

I did try to clarify, but I didn't actually have any shampoo specified for clarifying, I just shampooed twice with what I had. Maybe it didn't work then?

Sigh, I really want this to work

DarkCurls
September 2nd, 2012, 03:57 PM
It's safe to keep on pushing it for a few weeks -- up to six, I'd say -- and see if it goes away. It may be the transition period, like you said. I can't say any more than that, because I personally didn't have a transition period, but I wouldn't give up after only a few washes. :D

Maybe the "conditioning" conditioner is too heavy for you, as someone said.

Funny, that. I never got the two-conditioners thing. I only use one conditioner for co-washing. :p Saves time.

lmfbs
September 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hm, well, I have checked this one, and it hasn't got any cones that I can see. I'm in the UK, and I thought the Sleek and Shine was supposed to be the equivalent to the US Repair and Shine, which didn't have any cones in it :confused:

I did try to clarify, but I didn't actually have any shampoo specified for clarifying, I just shampooed twice with what I had. Maybe it didn't work then?

Sigh, I really want this to work

Ah, maybe it is - I'm not a Garnier person myself because it leaves a shocking oily buildup on my hair all the time - almost like it's sticky.

Shampooing twice with a coney shampoo wouldn't have helped at all - it would have just stripped your hair and scalp, which could explain why you're suffering from oil now. I found my best results were using BS/ACV, then starting CO washing in the next wash.

Like DarkCurls, I don't get the 2 conditoner thing either. It seems like a massive waste of time and product to me.

Don't give up, but if I had to guess what your issue is, I'd pin it on the Garnier.

T.J
September 2nd, 2012, 04:04 PM
It's safe to keep on pushing it for a few weeks -- up to six, I'd say -- and see if it goes away. It may be the transition period, like you said. I can't say any more than that, because I personally didn't have a transition period, but I wouldn't give up after only a few washes.

Gah, jealous, I seem to be the only one having this problem D: Oh well, its just my luck :doh:

I never got the two-conditioners thing. I only use one conditioner for co-washing.

I'd like to do it that way, but my hair is so incredibly dry, it needs a moisturizing conditioner, no doubt about it. But I'm afraid that using a heavily moisturizing one might not actually clean my hair, so I thought I'd use the lighter one to do that.

But I guess I will just push it for the next couple of weeks. Thank you everyone :D

DarkCurls
September 2nd, 2012, 04:10 PM
Like DarkCurls, I don't get the 2 conditoner thing either. It seems like a massive waste of time and product to me.

Yeah, that's exactly it.
As for Garnier, well, I don't know the particular conditioner, but I co-wash with the Triple Nutrition (it's cone-free). It works great for me. I tried a heavier conditioner from them, one of the Ultra Doux with shea and avocado I think, and that really left my hair feeling oily. It was definitely a conditioning conditioner. :D I thought my hair was dry, but I found a conditioner that was too heavy for it.
It might be the product, actually.

Gah, jealous, I seem to be the only one having this problem D: Oh well, its just my luck :doh:

Nah, I'm sure it's not uncommon. It's mentioned in every co-washing guide out there. :D We're just the lucky ones.

Good luck.

Tisiloves
September 2nd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Did you clarify before you CO wash? I think Sleek and Shine has amodimethicone in it, which can build up very quickly. Usually, CO washers use cone-free conditioners (though personally I use light cones when CO washing without a problem).

Amodimethicone is an amino silicone, thus it is polarised and cannot buil up more than one layer on the hair. Dimethicone and dimethiconol are the ones that majorly build up.

Tota
September 2nd, 2012, 04:26 PM
a) About a month or so.

b) My hair was limp and stringy and my scalp became greasy in less than 12 hours.

It's very important to find a good conditioner that suits you. I experimented a lot in the first two months (cones vs. no cones, diluted vs. undiluted, with or without ACV rinse etc.). Now I CO every third to fifth day and clarify once a month and my hair and scalp are both very happy :D

T.J
September 2nd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Woah, I seem to have missed some of these replies somehow O.o but thank you everyone. I think I will try clarifying again, with either a proper clarifying shampoo or ACV. And I think I'll get rid of the Garnier.

So, one last question, do you think I should stick to using the tresemme naturals (does that count as a heavy conditioner? it just seems it like it to me but I'm not certain), or should I try to find a lighter conditioner to use?

And again, thank you all :D I love this forum, everyone is so nice and helpful

T.J
September 2nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
And OMG, thank you Tota, you've given me hope again :joy:

lmfbs
September 2nd, 2012, 05:06 PM
Woah, I seem to have missed some of these replies somehow O.o but thank you everyone. I think I will try clarifying again, with either a proper clarifying shampoo or ACV. And I think I'll get rid of the Garnier.

So, one last question, do you think I should stick to using the tresemme naturals (does that count as a heavy conditioner? it just seems it like it to me but I'm not certain), or should I try to find a lighter conditioner to use?

And again, thank you all :D I love this forum, everyone is so nice and helpful

I use Tressemme and love it, but you're going to try out some different products to see what works best. What works for one person won't work for another. Personally, I don't like really light conditioners, so maybe that's why Tressemme works well for me?

T.J
September 2nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
I use Tressemme and love it, but you're going to try out some different products to see what works best. What works for one person won't work for another. Personally, I don't like really light conditioners, so maybe that's why Tressemme works well for me?

Hm, I guess you're right, I am going to have to experiment. unfortunately I don't really have the money to do that, I was hoping my hair would actually co-operate for once :p but I'll try the tresemme for a little bit longer, purely because I love the smell of it :D

HylianGirl
September 2nd, 2012, 05:41 PM
hm... I actually did not have a transition period... like some people recommended, before I started CO washing I clarified my hair, I used diluted baking soda for it, followed by a ACV rinse. I also use garnier triple nutrisse for CO washing, mostly because granier is the only cone-free conditioner I found in my country (or at least on the region I live in it). I hope you get to find out what's wrong.

There also the official CO wash thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/search.php?searchid=4106029&pp=25&page=5 maybe someone will help =)

T.J
September 2nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
There also the official CO wash thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...9&pp=25&page=5 maybe someone will help =)

For some reason its not letting me open that thread :confused: Though I think its my internet thats at fault.

But could I just ask, the baking soda thing, could you explain? Do you just dilute it (and by how much?) and then just use as a normal shampoo?

tiny squirrel
September 2nd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Hi!

First, You are not alone! Before I started Co washing I had to wash every day or my scalp looked oily. I DID have a transition period for sure. For about 2 weeks I just put my hair up and let it be kinda... blah. After a few weeks of every other day co washing things started looking up. I use Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner. My scalp is really sensitive to dyes and perfumes so I only use the Coconut because it is dye free! It's a very light weight conditioner which I discovered is a must for me. Also, Clarifying with baking soda makes all the difference. I did it once each week at first, but now I just clarify when I feel like my hair needs a pick me up. To clarify with baking soda I just grab a medium sized bowl and dump some baking soda in. I take the bowl in the shower and fill it with warm water and stir. When the baking soda is dissolved I plop my hair into the bowl, comb the water through my hair with my fingers, and then pour the baking soda water over my scalp while massaging it in. That's it. I condition like normal and go about my day. Both the conditioner and the baking soda are super cheap and my hair looks and feels great. I hope you find a CO solution that works for you. Don't give up, keep trying things!

T.J
September 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
Hi!

First, You are not alone! Before I started Co washing I had to wash every day or my scalp looked oily. I DID have a transition period for sure. For about 2 weeks I just put my hair up and let it be kinda... blah. After a few weeks of every other day co washing things started looking up. I use Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner. My scalp is really sensitive to dyes and perfumes so I only use the Coconut because it is dye free! It's a very light weight conditioner which I discovered is a must for me. Also, Clarifying with baking soda makes all the difference. I did it once each week at first, but now I just clarify when I feel like my hair needs a pick me up. To clarify with baking soda I just grab a medium sized bowl and dump some baking soda in. I take the bowl in the shower and fill it with warm water and stir. When the baking soda is dissolved I plop my hair into the bowl, comb the water through my hair with my fingers, and then pour the baking soda water over my scalp while massaging it in. That's it. I condition like normal and go about my day. Both the conditioner and the baking soda are super cheap and my hair looks and feels great. I hope you find a CO solution that works for you. Don't give up, keep trying things!
Today 05:55 PM

Ah, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has had difficulties with this. Thank you, I'll definitely be using the baking soda idea :D

happybear
September 2nd, 2012, 06:45 PM
I used tresemme naturals for COing and found that it worked great for me. Never had any issues with build-up or a transition phase.

dwell_in_safety
September 2nd, 2012, 07:18 PM
I had about eight weeks of hardcore transition period (I had to cover my hair most days, though weeks 4-6 weren't actually bad at all, and I didn't have to cover really at all) followed by another four of mild transition before my hair finally settled into where it is today. I stopped using shampoo October of last year and started CO-washing in honest when I joined here. It was well worth the transition period to have hair this soft and shiny all the time.

HylianGirl
September 2nd, 2012, 08:10 PM
For some reason its not letting me open that thread :confused: Though I think its my internet thats at fault.

But could I just ask, the baking soda thing, could you explain? Do you just dilute it (and by how much?) and then just use as a normal shampoo?

Sorry, I think my computer just copied the link wrong =P

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898

Does it work now?

About baking soda, I just pour about a spoon of it on a water bottle, close it and shake it, untill it's diluted, when I'm wahing the hais I pour it on my head, rinse with water and then ACV rinse. Since baking soda is very good at removing oils, you don't need to use shampoo after you use it (you can even use it instead of the shampoo, but many people use it for clarifying). It is also recommended to use ACV rinse after baking soda in order to avoid unbalancing the pH on your scalp. Since baking soda is a base, and vinegar is an acid, and the natual pH of your scalp is about 5 (which is slitly acidic), leaving a base on your hair may cause a disbalance. There is no problem in using it regularly (most soaps and shampoos are a little basic, unless it says "neutral pH on the bottle) but the acidic rinse helps restore balance after cleansing. I hope this helps! Good luck!

katfemme89
September 2nd, 2012, 09:52 PM
Not trying to be a debbie downer, but the garnier sleek and shine conditioner does contain Amodimethicone and Methicone but honestly (no offense) the ingredients for the tresemme naturals look a lot worse. I'm not sure if you're using this specific formulation (http://www.walmart.com/ip/TRESemme-Naturals-Nourishing-Moisture-Conditioner-With-Aloe-Vera-Avocado-25-fl-oz/15556034) but the one in that link contains pure alcohol (not cetyl), and isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol, that caustic stuff you have in your medicine cabinet).....YIKES!!!!:scared:

Please get a new conditioner, asap! The alcohol in that conditioner is probably what's making your hair feel really dry.

katfemme89
September 2nd, 2012, 10:11 PM
If I were you I would just ditch the tresemme and use the garnier. You can solve silicone buildup with a simple clarifying shampoo but alcohol damage is much harder to fix.

HylianGirl
September 3rd, 2012, 09:02 AM
Not trying to be a debbie downer, but the garnier sleek and shine conditioner does contain Amodimethicone and Methicone but honestly (no offense) the ingredients for the tresemme naturals look a lot worse. I'm not sure if you're using this specific formulation (http://www.walmart.com/ip/TRESemme-Naturals-Nourishing-Moisture-Conditioner-With-Aloe-Vera-Avocado-25-fl-oz/15556034) but the one in that link contains pure alcohol (not cetyl), and isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol, that caustic stuff you have in your medicine cabinet).....YIKES!!!!:scared:

Please get a new conditioner, asap! The alcohol in that conditioner is probably what's making your hair feel really dry.

Wow, they have alcohol on the conditioner? Why did they put it in there? I mean I understand why the companies would put silicones on the conditioner, but alcohol? Why?

katfemme89
September 3rd, 2012, 12:47 PM
Wow, they have alcohol on the conditioner? Why did they put it in there? I mean I understand why the companies would put silicones on the conditioner, but alcohol? Why?

I have no earthly idea, especially since it is marketed as a "natural" conditioner. Big companies do this kind of crap all the time, though. They're too lazy to actually make something truly natural, so they just market it as such in order to pretend to be "eco-conscious" and get buyers, when in reality they've just re-named the same synthetic formula they had before.

cmg
September 3rd, 2012, 01:02 PM
I didn't have any transition problems at all. I went from "the worst" to cone- and SLS-free in one swoop. Never looked back. Clarified with baking soda and tried out several condishes until I found the cheapo one I use the most. Today I can't even use cones, the give my hair frizzles, a flat head and limp locks and a sticky buildup.

/ CMG

kaydana
September 3rd, 2012, 01:10 PM
There are quite a few conditioners in the UK that are good for CO washing that can be bought for less than a quid. Tesco's own brand coconut conditioner is my favourite, and Morrison's jojoba conditioner also works really well (I just don't like the smell as much). There are others, but those are the ones I've tried and had good results with.

redsonjared
September 3rd, 2012, 03:11 PM
Hm, I guess you're right, I am going to have to experiment. unfortunately I don't really have the money to do that, I was hoping my hair would actually co-operate for once :p but I'll try the tresemme for a little bit longer, purely because I love the smell of it :D

It's taken me about 3 months to find a conditioner I like that gives consistent results. I found Treseme increased my already epic shedding. I'm now using Superdrug's coconut and sweet almond oil conditioner which is cheap as chips. Good thing really, as I use a load of it each wash but I have been able to stretch my washes to 3-4 days! Good luck with finding the right routine, it is worth it!

T.J
September 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Thank you for the replies everyone. Not going to answer everyone directly as I'll probably end up confusing myself, but I've read through all the advice and taken it on board. Its very much appreciated :flower: