PDA

View Full Version : Gray hair coverage

Anisaa
September 2nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Hi everyone
I am 30 years old and have lots of gray hairs. My hair is a very dark brown its so dark it looks black. This past year the gray in my hair has quadruplet. I am not against gray hairs, but at this moment I do not want them, I am not comfortable having them, therefore I nee YOUR help:D.

This past saturday I almost bought a box of hair dye from my local drugstore, but decided that I was going to research other natural alternatives to "cover" my grays.

I have been reading about black tea and dark coffee and so many other herbs that are great for coloring the grays. Some of the herbs such as marigold color the grays to look like highlights.

I am very interested in experimenting with natural safer ways to cover my grays. It will be nice if I can make the grays into highlights :cheese:or just cover them into my natural hair color.

So my question is:
What herbs have you used to dye your hair?
What is the recipe?:stirpot:
How long do you leave it on for? and how often do you use it?
ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am new to all this and would LOVE to hear all you experiences, suggestions and recipes. I am trying to learn as much about natural hair dye as possible. Thank you all and have a great weekend!!!!:blossom:

p.s. I also bought a bar of henna from LUSH but decided henna was not for me, after I heard so many people complain how difficult it is to remove the color etc... I decided to leave henna as a last resource.
Last edited by Anisaa (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/posthistory.php?p=2287219); Today at 02:34 PM.

katfemme89
September 2nd, 2012, 02:29 PM
I wonder if Henna covers grays?

gonzobird
September 2nd, 2012, 03:01 PM
I would look into getting aveda black Malva conditioner. Lots of people use it for grey coverage. I use the clove, black , and blue for all different things depending on what i need. The shampoos you don't really need...its the conditioners that deposit color.

browneyedsusan
September 2nd, 2012, 03:14 PM
I like henna, but I wanted red hair. Your hair is probably too dark to show the red, but will probably flare red in the sun. I'd order a sample from http://www.mehandi.com/ and do a strand test before you do your whole head.

Here are some things to know:
*Henna is rock-solid permanent. Once you put it in, you can't lift it. --Your natural color will lift before the henna will! If you want to get rid of it, you'll need to grow it out and cut it off.
*Henna can't lighten your hair, it only makes it darker and redder.
*Henna is translucent. Your natural color shows through. It lays down a layer of copper over everything. Your grays will be coppery, and the rest of your hair will be your natural color with copper on top.
*If you repeat applications of henna over your whole head, the stain will build up and deepen and get darker.
*henna is good for your hair. It makes it silky soft, strong, and sparkely in the sun!

Dig around in the link I shared. Read the free e-book on the site, and have a look at the different recipes.

My natural color is medium ash brown and gray. My temples are over 50% gray.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions! I think henna is the best thing since sliced bread!:D

spidermom
September 2nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
I've heard that cassia conditions and stains your hair yellowish-golden, which would only show on the gray/white hairs. I have no personal experience, though.

lapushka
September 2nd, 2012, 03:40 PM
If you are wanting to use henna, be ware that over gray it's going to go quite light (meaning bright red). You'd need quite the few applications for it to considerably darken up, if at all.

Toadstool
September 2nd, 2012, 04:00 PM
Henna turned my grey/white hairs bright orange. Rosemary and coffee didn't work at all.