PDA

View Full Version : How long do you curlies go between washes?

Bookloverlori
September 1st, 2012, 07:36 PM
I conditioner wash. I use a shampoo bar. I even use baking soda on occasion. What I've never been able to do is go more than every other day without washing. I've occasionally gone to day 3, but my curls are looking horrible by that point.

Second day hair, as a curly, is hard enough for me. Third day is frizz on the ends and flat on the top. I'm overweight, so wearing my hair up just accentuates my fatty face.

I'm seeing that several of you are washing your hair once a week or so. As a curly, how can I get there? My hair would love me for it.

dawnss
September 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM
I can go a week tops, but my scalp hates it and so do I if my scalp is not happy then I am not happy. I usually like to wash my hair every 3-5 days. With conditioner or some kind of shampoo. I have to shampoo at least once a week though.

julliams
September 1st, 2012, 07:48 PM
I'm a wavy but I go for three days before washing for my scalp. It gets really sore and tells me that it's ready to be cleaned. So if Day 1 is a wash day, I would wash again on either day 3 or day 4 depending on weather, or how much exercise I have done in that time period.

MidnightMoon
September 1st, 2012, 07:52 PM
I used to wash twice a week, but now I only wash it on Sundays

Brat
September 1st, 2012, 07:56 PM
I go twice a week. Usually that's when my roots begin to look a bit oily and by then, my curls are all frizzed out!

Shepherdess
September 1st, 2012, 08:26 PM
Usually about once or twice a week, depending on how my scalp feels. :)

Elithia
September 1st, 2012, 08:28 PM
I shower and condition every day. Otherwise it gets pretty flat.

HylianGirl
September 1st, 2012, 09:27 PM
I CO wash everyday, sometimes skipping a day, but on the second day it looks kinda flat, with the curls messed up... I could go longer without washing and my scalp wouldn't complain, but I wash it often because it keeps my wurls and curls (also I like the feeling of freshly washed hair). Also CO washing has done wonders to me ^-^

RedBlue
September 1st, 2012, 09:35 PM
Wavy here, but I wash my hair every other day, sometimes every two days. I can go upto three days withoout washing. My hair gets flat and straight when I don't wash it.

cwarren
September 1st, 2012, 09:45 PM
I have really dry hair so I CO wash everyday and use shampoo once every week (waxy scalp).

spirals
September 1st, 2012, 09:52 PM
I generally wash every other day because I wear it down and by day 3 it's going to be tangles and/or dried out. Last week I went 4 days, and I would've gone longer, as it ws looking good brushed out, but my scalp got itchy. I wanted to go longer, too, because of the burn/puncture wound on my thumb that wasn't supposed to get wet. Oh well. But yeah--every other day.

CurlyCap
September 2nd, 2012, 12:14 PM
Co-wash every day because it keeps moisture up, reforms curls, and prevents horrid tangles.

I shampoo maybe once every 6 weeks.

PixieKitten
September 2nd, 2012, 12:42 PM
I'm a wavy and I can go a week, but my hair definately loses a lot of it's wurl around day 3-4. I don't really mind because I always have it up anyway, but if I want it curly curly all the time I have to wash it every 3-4 days... I'm just way too lazy!

DarkCurls
September 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
I wash (co-washing) every 3 to 7 days.
I sleep with my hair loose, and the curls are happy in the morning for some reason. If not, I'll lightly spritz it with a mixture of conditioner and water I have in a spray of water and wait. The curls bounce right back up. Frizz I deal with with oil.
Others wear their hair in a pineapple (works best with mid-length hair) or plop overnight to preserve their curls.
Out of concern for the state of my ends, I put it up as often as not, and once I've put it up I can't wear it down until the next wash since I've broken up all the curls. But I know if I want to wear it loose several days in a row, it'll look fine.

moon2dove
September 2nd, 2012, 01:06 PM
Depending on how my curls are behaving, I can keep them happy by Co-washing every 5-7 days!

I shampoo about every 6 weeks.

coneyisland
September 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
My hair types range into the 3s. I last washed my hair August 15th.

I do not get out much. When I do get out, my hair is easy enough to conceal under scarves, often with a hat over too. It is obvious to others that I am not well. Many people in my community suppose that I am suffering from hair loss.

PrincessIdril
September 2nd, 2012, 04:34 PM
I wash twice a week and always with shampoo. I can push it to once a week, but I can't do that very often as my scalp gets very upset.
I don't really mind my curls falling out/going flat since I tend to brush them out anyway. My main concern is my scalp, and it seems that regular doses of shampoo is the best thing to keep my scalp psoraisis happy!

terylenerose
September 2nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
I was doing once a week for a while, but my mom got sick of what she calls "greasy hair" so I had to switch to twice a week (Wednesdays and Sundays). My scalp is also really, really hard to get clean, so it's probably better for me to wash more often. At the moment I'm using Dr. Bronner's magic Castile soap and Fundamental Conditioner, but that's bound to change sometime because I'm chronically between washing methods.

cmg
September 2nd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Depending on how my curls are behaving, I can keep them happy by Co-washing every 5-7 days!

I shampoo about every 6 weeks.

Sort of the same here. My lengths look better the longer they are not being washed. They would probably look marvellous after 2-3 weeks. I dont have any scalp problems but the top looks abit flat after a few days or a week, so I wash then. I can also wash for special occasions or if doing sports demand for it. If I feel any residue from treatments I use a shampoo or BS, but my hair magically never gets dirty or smelly. When I was younger I washed nearly every day or it was totally oily.

/ CMG

floralgem
September 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM
I used to wash it every other day (Before I found this place.) I wash it once a week now, but I might wash it a bit more often because I'm in sports and am going to be sweating a lot more.

HylianGirl
September 2nd, 2012, 08:12 PM
Sort of the same here. My lengths look better the longer they are not being washed. They would probably look marvellous after 2-3 weeks. I dont have any scalp problems but the top looks abit flat after a few days or a week, so I wash then. I can also wash for special occasions or if doing sports demand for it. If I feel any residue from treatments I use a shampoo or BS, but my hair magically never gets dirty or smelly. When I was younger I washed nearly every day or it was totally oily.

/ CMG

Have you tried scalp only washing? you can do it by putting your hair on a pony or braid, and washing only your scalp on the sink, that way the rest of the hair remains dry.

DarkSky
September 2nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
I wash every 2 to 3 days depending on where I have to be. Before going to bed I lightly coconut oil my hair and sleep with my hair loose and tossed over the pillow. My wurls get looser with each day but I just go with the flow. The coconut oil tames the frizzy look.

BTW Some people get good 2nd day hair by doing a 15-20 min plop after doing a light spritz on their hair. I rarely have good luck adding any type of spritz to dry hair.

Gumball
September 2nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
I wash when my scalp decides it hates the world. For the length, if my hair gets unruly I just heavily oil it and keep on trucking. My skin and scalp are very temperamental. Washes are at their behest.

Mind you I'm a wurly who keeps his hair up 100% of the time. I'm counting sleep braids that way, too.

RedheadMistress
September 2nd, 2012, 10:27 PM
- I can go weeks without washing, sometimes to re-set or make a different texture by spraying a little bit with a spraybottle and my moisture mix, and then I can go weeks without washing it in the shower !

DancingQueen
September 2nd, 2012, 11:28 PM
I wash every 3 days, with both shampoo and conditioner. My hair looks great on day 1, decent on day 2, and horrible on day 3. But I usually put it up on day 3, sometimes on day 2. I just started a new routine though:

Wash every wensday like normal. Saturday night, soak hair in coconut oil, and wash out in the morning. I might adjust it a bit, but this is the general idea. I could never go once a week, my hair is not made for that. :)

MinderMutsig
September 3rd, 2012, 03:44 AM
I wear my hair up all the time so I don't have the second day hair problem. I was my hair every 3-4 days when my scalp needs it.

When I was still doing the curly girl method with the gel and all I used to wear it down or in a half up on day 1 and then bun it on day 2 and by day 3 I couldn't stand that I wasn't able to run my fingers through my hair and jumped in the shower the very first thing in the morning. So basically I used to wash it every other day with day 1 being spent with hard gel curls since my hair wasn't dry until right before bed. Basically I was miserable on the curly girl method, can you tell? :p

afu
September 3rd, 2012, 04:48 AM
I CO wash every 2-3 days normally but I do try to stretch longer. I tend to braid for bed, a french rope braid helps preserve my curl pattern. If my hair feels flat or frizzy I wet my hands and scrunch it upwards in the morning. If my hair is feeling dried out I dampen it and apply some conditioner before I braid for bed

cmg
September 3rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Have you tried scalp only washing? you can do it by putting your hair on a pony or braid, and washing only your scalp on the sink, that way the rest of the hair remains dry.
I tried that once. I didn't feel confident about the rinsing part. Perhaps I should give it another go.

/ CMG

Tigermama
September 3rd, 2012, 01:12 PM
I usually cwc 1 or 2 times per week. I keep my hair up during the day, then let it down at night while I am relaxing. Before bed I dampen the length and put some conditioner and/or oil in and place it in a loose topknot. In the AM I once again dampen, moisturize, and carefully detangle with a wide tooth. Then I place it into the daily updo.

kitschy
September 3rd, 2012, 01:16 PM
I usually CO wash every other day. Occasionally I'll try for third day hair, but it is really frizzy, stiff, and messy looking. I usually end up putting it up on day three.

Third day hair. What a mess!

http://images58.fotki.com/v132/photos/0/1803120/9931107/IMG_1102-vi.jpg