PDA

View Full Version : Scared/hesitant to try Monistat

4C4rly4
September 1st, 2012, 12:25 PM
I bought Monistat a couple weeks ago because I was getting annoyed at my hair growth. I still haven't used it. I'm worried about the immediate and quite possibly long-term side effects. Anyone else kinda hesitant about using Monistat too? I realllly want to because I want my hair to grow fast, but I don't want to risk my health. I think I'm going to return it and just stick to using natural methods. :[

*I also just read a good point somewhere that might make me consider using Monistat now. People who chemically treat their hair put so much dangerous chemicals in their hair. But perms, etc. still have negative side effects in the future, right?

And Monistat is made for your 'down-there,' so it can't be that dangerous can it? That's a really sensitive area, and if you can apply it there, then why can't you put it on your scalp? But then you think about it, and you should be careful risking putting things on your scalp because it absorbs it so it could be dangerous.... ughh..idk, I hate how everything has side effects and you can't just do something and not worry about risking your health. Maybe I won't use Monistat then because what if in the future there ARE side effects - my hair growth won't matter to me then.

AHhhh so indecisive... :/ Why can't the hair on our heads grow as fast as the hair on our legs?! It's the opposite - where we want to grow hair, it doesn't, but where we don't want to grow hair, it grows like crazy and we have to shave every day. Ugh...so ridiculous.

Artisticat
September 1st, 2012, 12:56 PM
I'm a little hesitant too...intrigued...but too scared to try....don't want headaches or shedding.
You have gorgeous hair - I would love to be your length!!! :blossom:

patienceneeded
September 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM
The main reason I have not tried MN is because of the risk of headaches/migraines. I have had chronic migraines since I was 10 (I'm almost 35 now) and anything that might bring on a migraine is avoided at all costs. I'm finally at the point where I don't get full migraines more than once a month, but I do get at least 1-2 headaches a week that require medication to shake-off. So, no MN for me. There is no way I would try something that could cause me to get another migraine. Glad it works for others though!

HairFaerie
September 1st, 2012, 03:03 PM
It actually helped my scalp when I did it. I also got more hair growth than usual for the two months that I used it.

I put mine in the palm of my hand, added a little castor oil, mixed them with my finger and applied to my scalp for about an hour and then washed. I did this about three times per week.

My dry, itchy scalp felt soooo much better. I usually have a high yeast content in my body in general and that is what this medicine treats, rather it's on your "nether regions" or your scalp.

My advice would be to mix a bit with castor oil, leave it on for an hour and see what happens. If you have no adverse affects, try it again every other day. Try that for a month and see how it works for you and then you can decide if it's right for you or not. Of course if you get a headache or any other side effect, discontinue it and you'll know it's not right for you. :)

MeowScat
September 1st, 2012, 03:21 PM
Same here, I'm too wary about possible long-term side effects to try it. I really want to and have considered it numerous times but I just can't muster up the guts to finally try it.

Wouldn't it be great if the growth rates of our scalps and legs switched? I'd be the happiest chick in the world!

hufflepug
September 1st, 2012, 06:11 PM
I'm really headache prone, and reading about people getting headaches from it makes me nervous to try it. I might wait until my vacation week in October and try it then, so I'm not dealing with a potential headache at work.

Asprettyasme
September 1st, 2012, 06:52 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

Bookloverlori
September 1st, 2012, 07:13 PM
I'm prone to headaches with the occasional migraine and I haven't had any problem with it. I used it about twice a week for a month and saw quite a bit of growth. I don't know why I stopped. I started using it again this week. I put it straight onto my scalp by dividing my hair into sections, as if you're going to do a root touch up. I guess I use about an inch of cream over my whole head. I do it before bed and wash it out in the morning.

I've gone from 14.5 inches to 19.5 inches in 8 months, and that's "curly" inches. It was a lot more growth if I stretch out my curls, but I haven't measured that.

Long_hair_bear
September 1st, 2012, 08:17 PM
Don't try it if you're uncomfortable doing so. I can personally say I've used it to amazing results and no side effects. However, everyone is different. If you really want to try but are still scared, maybe try doing a small portion of your head as a test run first. Here's the website I learned my diluted application technique from:

http://suicidesevemonistat.blogspot.com/

Automne
September 1st, 2012, 08:28 PM
Same here, I'm too wary about possible long-term side effects to try it. I really want to and have considered it numerous times but I just can't muster up the guts to finally try it.

Wouldn't it be great if the growth rates of our scalps and legs switched? I'd be the happiest chick in the world!
Right!! Hehe

I'm scared too, especially about shedding. That's why I don't try it, I am too scared to lose my hair, it's already thin so I can't take the risk! But I guess it doesn't happen to everybody, I don't know.

sharonluvscats
September 1st, 2012, 08:29 PM
I won't use monistat on my scalp. I don't even like having to use it on my cooch. I use a castor oil/sulfur mixture made specifically for hair instead. I don't care if it made me grow 6 inches over night I just cannot get past the cooch medicine part. *shrugs*

julliams
September 1st, 2012, 08:53 PM
I used that stuff and found absolutely no difference to my growth rate. I felt a bit silly putting it on my scalp in the first place and I did get a wierd buzzing on my scalp as well as some headaches so it can't be good for you.

If you are worried or hesitant, I would stay away from it.

mojavewolf1
September 2nd, 2012, 03:07 PM
The monistat is not going to hurt you any...We put far worse chemicals on our heads and bodies..I did try it and I really did not see much growth,but that is me...Listen Ladies If you can put that stuff up inside your cooch it doesnt hurt you then,so I am sure the scalp is fine..BTW I am prone to headaches and I did not feel nothing..NO side effects at all!

Here is my hair now I used monistat for two months now about 2 to 3 times a week..I am now going to organic apple cider vinegar and red pepper mix..I cant spell it so i just put red..I put that on an hour before I shampoo..Just started that...

If you are scared to use anything,then dont use it..But I feel it is perfectly safe or I would of never done it! Im a BIG CHICKEN..haha

First pic just starting monistat http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/Pamelabonilla/2012%20pics%20graphics/Copyofhairsitepics009.jpg

end of first month http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/Pamelabonilla/Animals/NEWPICSHAIRANDRCCAR012.jpg
This picture was after two months bottom picture..

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/Pamelabonilla/2012%20pics%20graphics/rctruckandhair028.jpg

jojo
September 2nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Anti fungal creams are also prescribed for the scalp which can get fungal infections too. I don't get this I don't want to put a fungal cream made for down there on my head bit, it's not made of vaginas you know, it's just a cream with fungal fighting properties. Don't use it if it worries you that much.
There's a huge thread about this topic .

Angel Barchild
September 3rd, 2012, 05:47 AM
Monistat is an anti-fungal cream used, by some people, off label, to improve hair grwth. There has been no scientific studies done so I can't argue one way or the other on if it works. However there are listed side effects, http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-1449-miconazole+nitrate+Vagl.aspx?drugid=1449&drugname=miconazole+nitrate+Vagl&source=2&pagenumber=6
They include headache, vaginal/urethral burning/itching/pain, or lower abdominal cramps, hives and rash. That's not the whole list. As with all off label use it has not been tested and is not recommended by the manufacturer.

On the other hand it is an otc medication, most of the side effects are uncommon, and you would likely be fine. I find clear information to be the best way to make a decision like this. I am personally allergic to the active ingredient, so I suggest you do a patch test (try it on a small patch of skin and wait a day) if you have never used it before.

FrannyG
September 3rd, 2012, 05:50 AM
I am hesitant to use it, because I have chronic migraines, and I am debilitated by them all too often. I really don't want to risk trying anything that might exacerbate it.

I'm really fine with my growth rate just as it is. Also, I like to use medications only if and when I need them.

Long_hair_bear
September 3rd, 2012, 06:05 AM
I say if anyone is hesitant or scared to try it, don't. MN works wonderfully for me, but its not worth getting oneself afraid of the symptoms over. Your hair will grow, and patience is the ticket. I've had great growth and no symptoms with mn, but everyone's body is different. Do what makes you feel comfortable. :)

pink.sara
September 3rd, 2012, 06:11 AM
(snip)
it's not made of vaginas you know,
There's a huge thread about this topic .

God this made me laugh. :laugh:

And yup this is all covered and then some in the MN thread, I've been using it on and off since 2009 with no horrid sheds or side effects.

However, I use it diluted in water, when I applied most of a 2gram tube neat I had a horrid lightheaded feeling that then developed into a headache and left me rather disorientated, so I never did that again!

As for the growth aspects, Miconazole/Ketoconazole and their ilk have been shown to increase anagen phase length and follicle productivity in Mice but not enough human studies have been done to say one way or another if the 'azole family stimulate human hair growth.

I'm more inclined to believe the increased blood flow and scalp stimulation and possibly this 'azole effect are responsible for the growth I experience (I've tracked it by root growth over 14 months) than the anti-fungal properties as I've made my own tea tree and mint concoction to use as a deep treatment and this didin't have the same effect at all. But, regular scalp massage when oiling does make a difference.

And on the note of it being "cooch cream" here in the UK Miconozole Nitrate isn't found in Vaginal creams, so we have to use Daktarin which is intended for foot fungus... I'm not sure if that's better or worse!?!

As always though YMMV!

jacqueline101
September 3rd, 2012, 08:33 AM
The only thing I've noticed is if I use it with something else like my mixture of products its less effective and the shedding begins. If I use it full strength I've never had any problems.

Tota
September 3rd, 2012, 08:58 AM
I was using monistat/daktarin for almost two months last year and had no headaches, just a bit of a stingy and warm feeling on my scalp. After two months of use I realized that it's just not worth it because the growth was just sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighty faster than usual.

The problems started when I stopped using it - my scalp went totally crazy. I got pimples, itchieness, redness, oily scalp - all this goodness at once. I had these problems before using it, but after I stopped it all came back and it was more intense than ever. It all went back to normal after a month or so, but well ... it's just not worth it.

I'd say trust your gut and don't use it if you're afraid. I wish I had never used it, but at least I learned a good lesson.

MaryO
September 3rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
I tried it got a headache one day only, no growth and now I'm shedding! :-(

But I think I'm the exception...

CharleaMurphy
September 3rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
I would do a spot test first, try it in a small patch on the nape of your neck for example.

4C4rly4
September 3rd, 2012, 12:27 PM
I decided not to use it :/ My hair already grows pretty fast by itself so I'll just try to have a bit more patience.