PDA

View Full Version : For real?

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Ok, I just saw a pantene commercial and I really have to wonder........is anyone's hair really that smooth and shiny without doing anything but a shampoo and condish?

The only way I can get my hair to even resemble something like that is to flat iron it and sleep with it in a bun (when I first flat iron it's a bit fizzy). Even than, my hair does not look as good as it does in the commercial.

girlcat36
March 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I want to know too! Are we talking about the girl with the super thick, shiny, straight hair that is almost black? That ones's been on alot.

basak
March 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM
When combed, loaded with cones and not slept on, my hair is shiny and smooth..for 3 minutes. After that, it doesn't look half that sleek.

Feisty Redhead
March 16th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I can't say anything about the smooth part... and I don't really use shampoo much anymore. But my hair's shine could blind somebody in bright sunlight. Pantene's got NOTHING on me. I have a couple pics of my hair in bright (and indirect...) sunlight in my photobucket account somewhere, I'll have to sift through the pages and see if I can find them.

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I can't say anything about the smooth part... and I don't really use shampoo much anymore. But my hair's shine could blind somebody in bright sunlight. Pantene's got NOTHING on me. I have a couple pics of my hair in bright (and indirect...) sunlight in my photobucket account somewhere, I'll have to sift through the pages and see if I can find them.

Would love to see those, that would make me believe that it is possible for someone to have hair like that....your blessed if your hair is like that. :)

Dacia
March 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
It's the professional studio light, then another pro video manipulation.

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
When combed, loaded with cones and not slept on, my hair is shiny and smooth..for 3 minutes. After that, it doesn't look half that sleek.

Your siggy shows hair like the commercials. Very pretty.

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I want to know too! Are we talking about the girl with the super thick, shiny, straight hair that is almost black? That ones's been on alot.

This one was with the girl playing pool and takes her hair out of a ponytail and it just falls like a waterfall........lol it's on again as I type this.

Feisty Redhead
March 16th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Found 'em. Indirect sunlight on a bright day, no flash, and no products in my hair. The first one's after combing, and the second was before I had combed. (and I was tilting my head back a little, trying to see what it'd look like with a little more length. lol)

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff265/lips_of_an_angel_photos/7c95ef7f.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff265/lips_of_an_angel_photos/0ce432ca.jpg

girlcat36
March 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Very beautiful, feisty redhead!

basak
March 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Your siggy shows hair like the commercials. Very pretty.

Thank you! :) This is how my hair usually is:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2354/2336143038_d0649c3582.jpg

florenonite
March 16th, 2008, 03:09 PM
basak:That's still very pretty and shiny!

Silver & Gold
March 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I've noticed that the girls who say they cannot get that kind of shine are the curly girls. I just have to say that the reason for this is that curly hair cannot reflect light like straight hair. It has little to do with the condition and everything to do with the type of hair.

Curlies just have to know that blinding shine is not likely for them but the trade off is that they have the most gorgeous curls. Love the hair ya got, baby. It's ALL good!

Kirin
March 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Nothing on commercials is ever "real". Now these women with the shiney hair, its likely their hair, but before the commercial is shot its perfected and fixed and "tricked out" and then enhanced after filming with photo effects.

Note they do pick women with superstraight hair though..... and I'd wager none on the commercials are actually using the product. Believe me, pantene is not going to hire someone with un-shiny thin lackluster hair, they pick from hundreds and hundreds of models. Easy to find a good head of hair in all that.

spidermom
March 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Oh FeistyRedhead - your shine is indeed blinding. Gorgeous. You too, basak.

Awhile back I did an olive oil treatment overnight and after I washed and allowed my hair to dry the next day, it was so wavy/curly and shiny that I thought I could be a hair model that day. Most days - no. But that day was awesome.

Bonny
March 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Nothing on commercials is ever "real". Now these women with the shiney hair, its likely their hair, but before the commercial is shot its perfected and fixed and "tricked out" and then enhanced after filming with photo effects.

This reminds me... yesterday I caught a glimpse of the computer animated Bratz TV show and was amazed at the detail in their hair. They had shiny perfect hair that swung quite realistically when they moved their heads. (Makes me wonder how much time people have spent perfecting the hair-rendering algorithm!)

Anyway, it made me think of the Pantene commercials. Who knows how long it will be before those are computer generated too?

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I've noticed that the girls who say they cannot get that kind of shine are the curly girls. I just have to say that the reason for this is that curly hair cannot reflect light like straight hair. It has little to do with the condition and everything to do with the type of hair.

Curlies just have to know that blinding shine is not likely for them but the trade off is that they have the most gorgeous curls. Love the hair ya got, baby. It's ALL good!

It kind of depends. My curls can be fairly shiny, for a curly coarse head. They are even shiny today. But, the shape and thickness of the curl makes for a smaller shine band. I will have a bunch of little shine bads about an inch across where a type 1 can have a shine band going across the whole head. A larger shine band makes for a shinier head in general.

Blueglass
March 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM
:confused::confused:Those were the days. I used to have type 1a very shiny straight hair now its frizzy. I like to think that it would improve now that I'm on thyroid meds. But may be just be because I'm old. I also find my hair is sometimes brittle.

addikted
March 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM
The hair on those commercials have probably been blow-dried and flat ironed to death. Not to mention loaded up with cones. Add to that the bright lights.......walla....commercial ready hair

maskedrose
March 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM
FiestyRedHead and Basak - Seriously gorgeous shine, the both of you (I'm jealous!)

I was looking through some old photos the other day, and I found one of me with blown straight hair, and I must say it was pretty darn shiny. I even used to get the "you have hair-ad hair!" compliments quite a bit. That was when it was long (nearly waist) and pre-Accutane, which totally messed up my system, btw, especially my hair.

Now I never blow it out anymore and although it's still recovering from the Accutane, it is getting better. It nice and shiny for most of the length in most lights, although the ends are significantly duller than the top.

My goal is to get the hair-ad hair back!!

Flying Betty
March 16th, 2008, 05:50 PM
If the ends of my hair were a little blunter, I blow dried it, and brushed it two seconds before someone took a picture then my hair would have the hair commercial shininess with just shampoo and conditioner. Having straight hair definitely helps, but mine has always been quite shiny.

sapphire-o
March 16th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Well, my little son's hair is like that. We only ever used baby shampoo on it. Everybody comment on how smooth and shiney it is and I hardly ever comb it. I think my hair was like that when I was little as well. But it's not straight any more after I grew up.

Neoma
March 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I read somewhere (I think it was Allure magazine) about what it takes to make hair look like a silken waterfall for a commercial. I don't remember most of it, but suffice it to say, it took a lot more than shampooing and conditioning with Pantene.

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Found 'em. Indirect sunlight on a bright day, no flash, and no products in my hair. The first one's after combing, and the second was before I had combed. (and I was tilting my head back a little, trying to see what it'd look like with a little more length. lol)

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff265/lips_of_an_angel_photos/7c95ef7f.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff265/lips_of_an_angel_photos/0ce432ca.jpg
Your right, you put those woman to shame......great hair!!!

SHADOWSCODE46
March 16th, 2008, 07:02 PM
It's the professional studio light, then another pro video manipulation.

Interesting! I agree. Plus I think either those women have had the Brazilian keratin treatment done and/or they they spiked the Pantene formulas with silk amino acids.

Buddaphlyy
March 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM

I so agree. Even if my hair was straightened, it would never look like those girls in those commercials, but I'm totally okay with that.

But to answer the original question, yes I do think it's possible for one to have shiny thick hair using nothing but shampoo and conditioner.

Cinnamon Hair
March 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Ok, I just saw a pantene commercial and I really have to wonder........is anyone's hair really that smooth and shiny without doing anything but a shampoo and condish?

Mine is!

Ok not really.
(sorry but it was soooo tempting!)

carloota
March 16th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I read somewhere (I think it was Allure magazine) about what it takes to make hair look like a silken waterfall for a commercial. I don't remember most of it, but suffice it to say, it took a lot more than shampooing and conditioning with Pantene.

I'm sure hair extensions play a large part, also. It's unbeWEAVEable!

Melein
March 16th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I'm sure hair extensions play a large part, also. It's unbeWEAVEable!

Oh, definitely! I was actually admiring the hair in a shampoo commercial a couple of weeks ago and was quite shocked to see in very small print at the bottom: 'Model's hair styled with extensions.'

So not only would it be incredibly difficult to get such lovely shiny hair using just S&C - sometimes it's not even real! :undecided

MadPirateBippy
March 17th, 2008, 12:31 AM
My hair can get like that sometimes. It's a mix of oiling regularly, acid rinse, brushing it when damp to semi-straiten, and getting good lighting on it.

It does not look like it OFTEN, mind you, but when it does? Those are the days I store in my head for the inevitable other side of the see-saw, the just let me shave it off now days.

ilovelonghair
March 17th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Take a good look at those commerials and pictures and you will notice the hair of those models actually looks fake, it looks exactly like a synthetic wig (a good one of course): it has that movement of synthetic hair (no hair goes out of place and there are no shorter hairs, no taper etc.)

GlassEyes
March 17th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Sometimes they don't even use the products they show on the models hair, and usually it's had something done to it (curling, flatironing, etc).

On top of that it can be visually edited. Plus the lighting would make any hair 'shine with all it's might'. Using pantene (or anything) won't give you hair like that, just like using herbal essences won't make you orgasm (no offense to those whom it would though. ;D).

The one member I can think of who could probably do a commercial like that without anything would probably be toof. Her hair looks like liquid fire for crying out loud.

AutumnLeaves
March 17th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I have to admit that girl has my dream hair (and I'd take her face too)! :rolleyes:

vdhendrix
October 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM
i think first off they look for people with the best hair they can find, i also think they probably do ALOT of styling to get it to look that good, also they probably edit, airbrush, or whatever lol

mahoganyhorizon
October 29th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I just opened this thread because I love shiny hair :) I always wondered about the women on those commercials as well!

Anje
October 29th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Where's Toof? She could sell just about anything with her shine. (Not to put anyone else down... For some reason I can't see pictures in this thread right now.)

eadwine
October 30th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Yep, mine is. Eresh can vouch for that one ;)

But I don't use the evil Pantene in any case *giggles*

rach
October 30th, 2009, 08:44 AM
anything which can be digitally enhanced is always worth "yeah....what ever" reaction to it . which is why i like it here - we're honest with our real hair (i hope:ponder:) and there is no point in pretending because we've all got a healthier hair goal and we're all helping one another.

And to get that look i need super flat iron, frazzle to pieces for it to look like that with loads of coconut oil (not a great look in the long run - been there done that and suffered the consequences)

one to add which i thought was funny -

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/worth.gif

young&reckless
October 30th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Would love to see those, that would make me believe that it is possible for someone to have hair like that....your blessed if your hair is like that. :)

I Blessed! or cursed as I love the look of curls and waves but they never stay for long.

If I use a cone condish like Pantene and comb my hair out it is straight and mirror like. My hair only likes cones once in a while thought, otherwise I get buildup and it looks gross. I get asked if I flat iron my hair when I wear it like this.:D

ll
October 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Notice how shiny your hair is when you take a photo with a flash? They are shining a spotlight on the model's hair when she is in direct sunlight, which yields that same brilliant shine as a flash does. One doesn't notice the spotlight, as the ambient light is bright... Tricky, eh?:p

Wicked Princess
October 31st, 2009, 01:13 AM
Whatever shampoo you use, whatever conditioner, whatever products don't matter. Even if one were to skip all the digital enhancement completely - a professional photographer will do amaaaazing things to make your hair look gorgeous! I showed a picture of long hair to a professional photographer friend of mine and asked him if he could make my hair look like that. He laughed and said that he could make almost anyone's hair look like that. :D

pradabacon
October 31st, 2009, 01:18 AM
one to add which i thought was funny -

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/worth.gif

Mmmmm, Snape. Thank you, Rach! :laugh: