PDA

View Full Version : Melisande's wash method

Melisande
September 1st, 2012, 08:35 AM
I don't open many threads because there are so many... but over the years, I have optimized my washing method, and I want to share it. Maybe it helps others to optimize theirs.

I have a dry scalp and dry hair, very smooth, and a tendency to have either flat, moisturized hair - or puffy, voluminous, scratchy hair. Great. It took me years to find a balance between the need for moisture and the wish for volume.

What I do:

1. pre-wash
I put nearly always a pre-wash treatment on my hair. I wash in the morning, c. every fourth or fifth day, and the night before I put either straight coconut oil in my hair, or conditioner mixed with oil. Conditioners are an emulsion, and they make the oil easier to wash out. However, my hair releases oil quite easily so I can put straight oil and know that it will wash out without a problem. I always advise oil newbies to mix it with conditioner first - to make sure it comes out easily. Over time, decrease the conditioner and see how you get along.

2. Wash
I use lukewarm water throughout, never hot. I really soak my hair with water. While my hair fills up with water, I fill a pitcher with water. I add a little baby shampoo and a little conditioner and mix both very well. Even in very strong dilutions, modern detergents are still strong enough to clean very well. But diluted, they are much less harmless. The conditioner makes the washing out of the oil much easier. Besides, it makes the shampoo even gentler.

I pour this mixture over my head slowly. When I have the feeling my head is soaked, I stop. Now I do other shower duties and just let the mixture sit on my head. (I'm a water saver so usually I switch off the water now). I don't massage, I don't scratch my scalp, I don't build hair towers like the ladies in the commercials do. I just, after a couple of minutes, move my hands over my scalp and hair very gently.

I wash this first portion out, and then I check whether I need a second portion or not. If I do, then I simply take the rest of the mixture, or make a new one, and pour it over my head. I let it sit again, give a very very gentle massage, and wash it out.

This part is a bit like CWC - I condition and wash at the same time. I don't use shampoo undiluted, and I don't use it without conditioner.

3. condition
I wash out my loyal old pitcher and fill it again with water. I add a little conditioner, honey and either citric acid or vinegar. Not too much! I pour this mixture again over my head. I can feel how the hair feels softer immediately. This is really a magic mixture. On the German boards, they call it "Mata's shine rinse", that's because I'm Mata on the German boards :) For me, it gives just the right finish. I wash it out with cool water. If something is left in the pitcher, I fill it until it's so diluted that a homeopath would consent to its use, and give a last rinse. Well the very last rinse is cold - but I'm no Spartan so I rinse only the parts of my hair that don't touch my body with cool to cold water.

I let my hair air dry. I do a kind of logroll and put it inside a towel. Later, I bun the damp hair and only towards the end of the drying process, I open the bun. I know people have mixed results with damp bunning, my personal experience with it is great.

This method gives me the best results over time. I have no idea whether others may have the same results, but for me, this is the best way to wash my hair. It's clean, has volume and great shine afterwards. It doesn't tangle and is not lanky. It stays in good shape over four or five days, and if I wanted, I'm certain I could stretch washes further. I have no split ends at all.

millyaulait
September 1st, 2012, 08:44 AM
What great information, thank you for sharing this. :)

My wash day is tomorrow & I'm going to try your rinse, it sounds great!

1nuitblanche
September 1st, 2012, 08:45 AM
I like the sound of your wash method. It seems closer to natural than the typical wash, condition, go route. I would like to try it but will have to wait until DS is old enough to look after himself for a few minutes because I think it might take a little longer than what I do now.

DinaAG
September 1st, 2012, 08:58 AM
great stuff! many thanks for the advice i will do with it

cwarren
September 1st, 2012, 10:39 AM
Thank you for posting this. I think I'll give it a go!

sarelis
September 1st, 2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks for posting, actually your wash method is very similar to mine! Also the hair that likes to be either flat & over moistuised or poofy & dry, no middle ground! : D

dawnss
September 1st, 2012, 12:42 PM
Wow that sounds nice and kind of spa like!

PetuniaBlossom
September 2nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
Oh, Mata's Shine Rinse sounds wonderful. I will try it next time I wash my hair. Thanks for sharing your method.

kitcatsmeow
September 2nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks for this! I so something similar although I after I put my conditioner in I do my ACV rinse. Never tried mixing the two but maybe I'll give it a go as I do like adding honey.

BrownEyedBeauty
September 4th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the detailed information on your routine. It sounds as if you enjoy the process.

afu
September 4th, 2012, 07:13 AM
my usual routine is to CO and then do a lemon rinse but my length is prone to being dry while my scalp can be quite oily so I think I'll try your special rinse instead of just lemon and water. What sort of amounts do you use in your rinse?

hellucy
September 4th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Thanks for sharing, I think I may have to give this method a try - I love experimenting & Mata's shine rinse sounds lovely.

Neecola
September 4th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks for sharing your method!

Samitra
September 4th, 2012, 11:22 AM
That rinse sounds very nice, I might have to try it! Thank you for sharing!

I'm still trying out new stuff, but one day I want to be able to know exactly what my hair needs. It must be great having found and perfected a washing method!

ratgirldjh
September 4th, 2012, 11:34 AM
What conditioner do you use? I might like to try this.