PDA

View Full Version : shampooing and getting the hubby trained

Long_hair_bear
September 1st, 2012, 06:24 AM
Ok, first a question, then a cute story!

Do you guys shampoo a certain number of times per week or do you do it only when it needs it?

Cute story:

I was brushing my hubby's hair (he's growing it out for me :D ) while quizzing him. I said, "We always start brushing at...." "The ends," he replied. Then I showed him my damp hair and asked, "My hair is damp..... Do you know what that means?" "No brushing," he said. I've got him trained now. :D I figured that if he's growing his hair out, I best start him of right so it stays healthy as it grows. :rolleyes:

Sarahlabyrinth
September 1st, 2012, 06:28 AM
I do it when it needs it. Usually twice a week. If I spend a day practising updos then add another time onto that as well.

Othala
September 1st, 2012, 06:41 AM
Aw, that's sweet. Well done for teaching your hubby about hair care.

My hubby knows about the combing form the bottom up and not combing damp hair. He still can't do an English braid or help me with updos, but he is great at scalp massages and helping me remove knots and tangles without damage.

It's great when hubbies share hair care :D.

My scalp tells me when it needs to be washed. It just gets a certain heavy feeling. I am a sebum-intolerant weirdo. I love using plant oils on my hair but hate my natural scalp oil.

Anyway, if I don't wash every third day then the scalp is not happy.

DarkCurls
September 1st, 2012, 06:43 AM
I use shampoo when my hair needs it. (Basically, when I feel my hair is mushy and needs to be clarified). That's usually under once a month, I guess? I don't count the days or anything. I don't know when was the last time I did it.
I wash with CO or WO the rest of the time.

(Sweet story.)

Dovetail
September 1st, 2012, 06:55 AM
Oh Bear! How cute is that. I just wash when it looks like it needs it. sometimes I can go quite a while, and sometimes it's only a couple of days. I'm sure if I actually kept track, I would see it was so many days in some sort of pattern, but I'm lazy~

Loviatar
September 1st, 2012, 07:34 AM
I wash every day. I'm a terrible person ;)

Kelikea
September 1st, 2012, 07:36 AM
I go through phases, and it is also dependent on weather and activities. During the summer, I can get so hot and gross feeling that I want to shampoo everyday. And the more I do it, the more I feel the need. Maybe the extra stimulation tells my scalp to produce more oil? Then, when I skip a few days, I get into a phase of not washing so much. This happens a lot during cold weather too, when I'd rather not walk around with a wet head anyway.

So, yeah, I can go anywhere from washing my hair 5-7 days a week to only 2x, but rarely ever less than that.

Madora
September 1st, 2012, 07:44 AM
I shampoo when I need it..once a month.

rowie
September 1st, 2012, 08:16 AM
I think it really depends on the individual's scalp needs. For me, I wash every other day because I get really greasy head after a day.

Amorice
September 1st, 2012, 08:17 AM
I wash when it feels heavy and gross and looks stringy. Usually takes about 4 days. But its been closer to 3 days over the summer, since I sweat and go swimming and stuff.

moon2dove
September 1st, 2012, 08:19 AM
I Co wash every 6-7 days - Shampoo about once a month.

Long_hair_bear
September 1st, 2012, 08:26 PM
I'm trying to decide on things. Since joining the lhc, I cut my washes down to once a week on Sundays. However, lately, it seems like my hair needs it every 5 days instead of every 7. I'm very used to a schedule with my hair care routine and trust my hair to do something like this to my nice, neat schedule. It may just be the summertime sweat and humidity; I'm not sure, but I try to hold out washing as long as I can. Past couple of weeks though, it's been very oily by day 5. /leh sigh

BrightEyes
September 1st, 2012, 08:33 PM
Aww, that's cute. My hubby's pretty clueless about all things hair-related.

I shampoo about every other day.

Wildcat Diva
September 1st, 2012, 09:21 PM
Cute story:

I was brushing my hubby's hair (he's growing it out for me :D ) while quizzing him. I said, "We always start brushing at...." "The ends," he replied. Then I showed him my damp hair and asked, "My hair is damp..... Do you know what that means?" "No brushing," he said. I've got him trained now. :D I figured that if he's growing his hair out, I best start him of right so it stays healthy as it grows. :rolleyes:

It's always good to get 'em trained.

Seriously, my DH (high and tight cut) KEEPS ASKING for "scalp treatments"/ scalp massages. (He has ME trained?)
Anyway, I use various oils on his scalp and massage in, provide a plastic shower cap and sit him under my electric heating cap. He loves this. I tell him that this winter he won't need his head and shoulders shampoo anymore. It's a nice little thing to do for my hubby, doncha think?

BrownEyedBeauty
September 4th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I wash it when it needs it which is usually every 2-3 days. I don't have specific days of the week as to when I wash it.

raej
September 4th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Hi there! I have been shampooing 2 times per week for about 3 years. Although, now I'm trying CO, so plan to use shampoo once every fortnight. I guess I'll save money on shampoo... =)

katfemme89
September 4th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Yes! I love your story about your hubby, that is so cute! My hubby is also growing his hair to terminal length with me, but up until recently he was doing everything wrong, and was being stubborn when I tried to tell him what to do with it. But now as it's gotten longer (mid back) he's realized that he's gotta get serious about his hair care, and he knows that I am always on LHC and so recently he's been asking me for advice. I have him COwashing now, and combing only, because his hair is 4a/C/iii. Yay!

Henrietta
September 5th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Awww, that's so cute! :):):) It's great to have a hair growing ally at home, isn't it? My fiancé doesn't grow his mane (he used to have it long, BSL when stretched (he's curly boy!) ) but he supports me in my hobby.
About the question, I shampoo regularly. I used to do it "whenever my hair needs it" but I noticed that my hair's needs appear regularly every 3 days, so I went back to this routine. So it's 2-3 times a week.

RubyTuesday
September 5th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Your DH sounds like a sweetie!

afu
September 5th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I shampoo about once a month, but even then I don't really need to in terms of cleaning. I do it because every 8 weeks or so i have my highlights touched up so it gets a shampoo then to get the bleach out, and then after a month I put a toner on to maintain the colour. In between I CO wash 2-3 times per week.

Yay with the hubby training :) My SO has also been growing his hair, it first he had grown it because he had been too busy to have a haircut and then he kept it so i could see it :) now he still hasn't cut it but im sure it won't last much longer. His hair grows so fast, he could probably get near to 2inches a month

yurikome
September 5th, 2012, 06:42 AM
i don't shampoo at all. When I'm in dire need of chemicals (like after using too much oil by accident), I wash with conditioner. Mostly I water wash every 4 days or so. And if I've been using any chemicals I do a one time baking soda/vinegar rinse cleanse.

Your husband sounds so sweet :D My fiancee is interested but can't really remember any tips. Every time he brushes I have to remind him "ENDS FIRST!!" (his hair is longer than mine).

ApatheticFairy
September 5th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I can't even get my DSO to let me put oils on his scalp for his dandruff. He's a stubborn boy. He barely shampoos himself properly, doesn't like to "scritch" his head with his fingers. I've been sneaking EVOO into his shampoo, though. He thinks his hair is getting softer. Wait until he finds out. =P

I have to wash every 4 days or so. I tried to do the "every saturday I wash" thing... but my hair, now that my roots aren't chemically dyed (about 3 inches of virgin hair! woot!) it was like "lol nope."

When I was bleached, I could go for about 10-14 days depending on the weather.

lydiajo
September 5th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I shampoo about once a week. Unless I go overboard with the coconut oil. I do a scalp massage with castor oil on friday night then a shampoo on saturday morning.

shutterpillar
September 5th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I shampoo mine every other wash. It goes a little something like this:

- shampoo + condition
- no wash
- CO
- no wash
- shampoo + condition
- no wash
- CO

and so on and so forth. My hair just gets really greasy after one day of skipping washes. I am hoping that I will be able to stretch it further eventually, though.

As for husbands.... i've got mine using coconut oil and CO washing every now and then (read: when he remembers to). He is a wavy/curly.... probably about 2c. I told him to try CO and add just a tiny bit of coconut oil to his damp hair and he went through the whole day telling me how his hair looks so nice and he has never been able to keep the frizzies away so well. He wasn't even using conditioner before. :P Just one of those bottles of combo shampoo/body wash.