PDA

View Full Version : Just made some soap

deltadeliquent
August 31st, 2012, 03:07 AM
I just made some soap which will be ready to use in about a month.
It's made with olive oil, Shea butter, macadamia nut oil, and coconut oil and sweet almond oil.
Coud I use ths as a shampoo bar? What's the difference between a body bar and shampoo bar?

Jorja
August 31st, 2012, 03:29 AM
Ooh I just bought some African black soap which is shea butter and coocnut oil. I plan to try using it to wash my hair, I'll let you know how that goes. I like the sound of your soap more than mine, I would buy that if I saw it for sale :)

If you do shampoo with it, you MUST tell me how it goes!

moon2dove
August 31st, 2012, 11:20 AM
Your homemade soap sounds delicious enough to use on hair.

Let us know if you do :)

ARG
August 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM
I would use it! It sounds wonderful and non-drying!

deltadeliquent
August 31st, 2012, 05:45 PM
I think I'll try it! It was very easy to make. I found an app for the iPad that you punch in your ingredients and it will make a recipe for you with all the correct amounts.
I just have to wait a month for it to cure. I'll report back.

Chimom79
August 31st, 2012, 05:50 PM
I think I'll try it! It was very easy to make. I found an app for the iPad that you punch in your ingredients and it will make a recipe for you with all the correct amounts.
I just have to wait a month for it to cure. I'll report back.

Can you name the app? Id love to check that out! Thanks! :happydance:

kdaniels8811
August 31st, 2012, 08:06 PM
Google soapmaking and there are lots of lye calculator recipies. They figure the amount of lye and water to butters and oils. Lots of them out there.

Shampoo bars generally have essencial oils such as rosemary that are good for the scalp but any homemade soap is gentle enough to use as shampoo. Just depends on whether your hair likes it. Nice to know there are fellow soapmakers out there!

BambooBeauty
August 31st, 2012, 09:47 PM
so any homemade soap bars i can use on my hair?

dawnss
September 1st, 2012, 02:36 AM
That's great, was the process hard?

bekstamonkey
September 1st, 2012, 03:55 AM
ooh, I'm a sucker for soaping talk LOL :D

Sounds like a lovely batch you got there, If it were mine, I'd definitely try it on hair!

akilina
September 1st, 2012, 09:11 AM
Stupid question, but I am assuming you used lye too??

You could use it as a shampoo bar :)
The gist of shampoo bars is that they are only made with more nourishing oils for the hair.
And I am wondering why you have to wait a month?
The curing process only takes from a week to two weeks.

In2wishin
September 1st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Stupid question, but I am assuming you used lye too??

You could use it as a shampoo bar :)
The gist of shampoo bars is that they are only made with more nourishing oils for the hair.
And I am wondering why you have to wait a month?
The curing process only takes from a week to two weeks.

It depends on the water as a proportion to oils. Hot process tends to evaporate water during the process so the curing time is very quick. Cold process can take up to a month to cure to a hard enough bar.

ETA: we just started a soapmaking thread in the Crafts section of the off-Topic Board.