PDA

View Full Version : Complete Newbie. Please help! I want to know everything!

DggydgJill
August 30th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Copied and pasted from the "New" section. :)

Hi!

I have been lurking off and on for about a year now, and I finally figured out how to post today!

My hair history:

About 2.5 years ago, I got a perm put into my hair to make it very curly all over. Since then I have been growing the perm out. That is the only chemical "thing" that has ever been done to my hair--I've never dyed it, high-lighted, etc. I got pregnant in December of 2010 and my daughter was born in August 2011 (she just had her first birthday!), so during and since then I have been taking prenatal vitamins. In May of this year (almost 4 months ago), I cut off ALL the dead perm ends, leaving a blunt, straight cut with all of my hair (except a little side bang) shoulder length. My hair is fine and tangles easily. It is fairly dense (meaning I've got a decent amount of it, but each strand is fine) and straight. I have a slight overall wave, especially with it at my current shoulder length, but it is by no means curly. It's just straight.

ANYWAY, I am wanting to grow all my hair out to be at least waist-length. I am open to any and all tips, advice, comments, etc. I have NO idea where to start! Are there any shampoos or conditioners you would recommend? Brushes? I should get a satin/silk pillowcase too, right? Anything else?

I hate to sound like such a "newb," but I really don't know where to begin! What are some hair care routines you would recommend? I wear it up in a clip almost everyday to keep it out of the way, and I've read that is good to do. Any other suggestions?

Thank you so much! :)

SerinaDaith
August 30th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Congratulations on the baby girl! In so far as hair care my hair is probably just about as far from yours as is possible, I do love my satin pillow case so I would say that it would be a great start for you!

Madora
August 30th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Welcome!

You might want to find a hair twin and see what they use. Everyone's hair is different and responds differently to the various products out there.

Generally speaking, "less is more". Everything you put on your hair leaves a trace..and in time, will build up. You can get rid of the buildup by using a clarifying shampoo, then conditioning afterwards.

A silk pillowcase is a good idea, as is wearing your hair up. Be careful, however, to vary the place where you put that clip.

You might want to check out the ARTICLES section (see the grey menu bar, above) for hair care tips and styling.

I recommend a pure, natural boar bristle brush for keeping your hair healthy, soft and shiny. Be sure you detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb before brushing.

Some helpful links:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=230

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=229

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=223

Try to not fall in the trap of trying everything at once. There is a tremendous amount of information here and it will take time to assimilate data.

Not all products work well together, so it is best to experiment slowly (if experimentation is your thing). Coating your hair with too many things may lead to unpleasant hair and frustration.

Besides brushing daily, S and Ding often can help keep splits at bay. Be sure and use sharp shears as dull shears will only create more damage.

Enjoy your stay!