PDA

View Full Version : Deposit-only dye: experiences & recommendations, please

Panth
August 30th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I've been considering putting some bright deposit-only dye over my blonde hair without bleaching it. Possibly green or green+other colours, seeing as I like green and fear blue would just look green anyway when done over blonde. However, I'm a complete novice at this sort of thing. So, I'd like to hear from anyone who has used deposit-only dyes, particularly without bleaching. Questions include:

What colour/brand did you use?
What method did you use to put it in (e.g. times, etc.)?
How much did you need (and what is your length/thickness)?
How long did it last (and what is your normal washing method)?
Did you experience any damage?
How difficult and/or messy was it to put in?
Did it make a mess subsequently when washing?
Did you have multiple colours at once, and if so how easy was it to put in and how much bleeding/blending did you get when washing?

My main worries are that it would damage my hair or that it wouldn't come out. I'm ok if it lasts up to maybe 6 months but beyond that I'd want it out for reenacting in the summer.

I'm also a bit worried about how much extra care I'd need to either keep the colour for more than a few weeks or prevent the colour from dripping out whenever my hair got wet - I have no experience with this and so no idea of what to expect, but I'm generally a benign neglect sort of person so much extra fuss and I'd just not bother.

EDIT - I have never used any sort of dye ever. So I have absolutely no idea how messy dye is in general. Mess is quite a consideration as I'm in a quite nice rental property - if I can't bleach any drips out of the sink/shower or if the run off while washing stains my shower this is not an option.

EDIT 2 - also to point out, I'm currently at fingertip...

Loviatar
August 30th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I havent used green but I have used red, pink, purple and black deposit only dyes.

I have used Fudge Blueberry Hill (purple), Crazy Colour black, Crazy Colour fire red, Rusk Scream red, Directions Tulip, Directions Plum.
Scream was used over lightened hair and I bleached down to almost white before using Fudge. The rest were over normal hair.

One tube or bottle, most of the time. I have not dyed with deposit dyes when I've been past shoulder length.

Most dyes stick in my hair. I use shampoo bars now, but I have done CO in the past when I've been doing deposit dyes. ACV rinses help the colour to stick, I find.

No.

No worse than regular dye.

Not a mess per se. The water always had runoff, but no big deal. I occasionally stained some of my towels, so I switched to darker ones. My big bugbear is that the Rusk Scream red stained a pale hairfork when I wore it to the gym. This was 2 weeks after dyeing, so I know it came off my hair not my scalp itself.
I've been dyeing wacky colours for a long time so I know what to expect really.

Did you have multiple colours at once, and if so how easy was it to put in and how much bleeding/blending did you get when washing?
I have never had multiple colours at once, I'm afraid.

akilina
August 30th, 2012, 12:04 PM
So I take it you want something like a fun crazy color? Like manic panic, or anything similar? :]
You want to use it over your natural blond hair??

The only thing here is that the color might not take as well, or it may rinse out faster, or may turn out into a color you really do not like. Some colors like this will not even stick to the natural hair.
Are you wanting to color your whole head? Or just a few strands or sections?

No damage should occur.
If you section your hair out, and apply it with a tint brush and wear gloves it should not be too messy. The key is to not glob it on and use too much, but use the perfect amount and distribute it evenly.
Also wear a towel over your shoulders.

I do not know if you are in the UK or what, but perhaps if you are someone who lives there too could recommend a good brand of dye :)
Some dyes fade more than others and stain more than others. I never use manic panic and always used Pravana Vivids because its available to me. That stuff stains bad. Its usually the purples and reds that rinse out and stain things in my experiences.

As for care...I don't know what your current routine is but I would wash CO, and possibly stretch the washes, and also...don't wash it with hot hot water, and follow up by a nice cold rinse.

millyaulait
August 30th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Hiya! :flower:

What colour/brand did you use?: I used Manic Panic's Pillarbox Red & Vampire Red (mixed). They do some lovely blues. :)
What method did you use to put it in (e.g. times, etc.)? I did my first application on dry hair, I covered it in saran wrap & left it overnight and then some.
How much did you need (and what is your length/thickness)?: I used about half a tub, my hair was SL and medium thickness.
How long did it last (and what is your normal washing method)?: It lasted about a month before fading to pink, but I just topped it up then & kept it in for a few hours to refresh the colour. This is by using regular shampoo & conditioner.
Did you experience any damage?: Absolutely none! My hair actually felt much healthier afterwards.
How difficult and/or messy was it to put in?: The dye, IMO, has a slightly jelly-ish consistency but it is quite messy. It wound up mostly on my walls. :lol: Very easy, however. I am just not good at being tidy with dyes.
Did it make a mess subsequently when washing?: Yes, a bit. But that happens with every dye I've ever used.

elbow chic
August 30th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Manic Panic: Hot Hot Pink, and Ultraviolet (two separate occasions.)
First time I think I left it in for thirty minutes, second time left it in overnight before rinsing out.

I used one jar both times. Diluted a little with extra conditioner the first time, just to be sure I would have even coverage, and the second time I just did streaks. Had enough left over for my kids. haha

Lasted about two months the first time, IIRC. It did wash out completely.

My current batch is on the verge of washing out. I put it in sometime back in late June, early July? It's still lightly green. Started off a dark indigo blue, so you are right about blue fading to green over blonde. It gets a little paler every time I wash.

I wash about twice a week with some diluted shampoo and ample conditioner.

No damage.

Kind of messy, but truth is, I'm just a messy person. You should see my stove when I'm done cooking spaghetti sauce. Shouldn't be that bad for normal people. It was less messy the second time!

Yes, it stained my bathtub bottom pink. Got some splatters on the bathroom counter, too. Let me tell how how thrilled my husband was. lol I used some bleach to get it out. Also stained my pillowcases, so don't use any you are real attached to.

All in all, if you are looking for some hair amusement and aren't overly attached to the outcome, deposit-only is a good way to go!

There are some pics in my album. If the uploady thing is working, mebbe I'll put up a few of my current pale teal shade. I kind of like it, though it is very different than the original color I put in!

Panth
August 30th, 2012, 02:30 PM
So I take it you want something like a fun crazy color? Like manic panic, or anything similar? :]
You want to use it over your natural blond hair??

The only thing here is that the color might not take as well, or it may rinse out faster, or may turn out into a color you really do not like. Some colors like this will not even stick to the natural hair.
Are you wanting to color your whole head? Or just a few strands or sections?

No damage should occur.
If you section your hair out, and apply it with a tint brush and wear gloves it should not be too messy. The key is to not glob it on and use too much, but use the perfect amount and distribute it evenly.
Also wear a towel over your shoulders.

I do not know if you are in the UK or what, but perhaps if you are someone who lives there too could recommend a good brand of dye :)
Some dyes fade more than others and stain more than others. I never use manic panic and always used Pravana Vivids because its available to me. That stuff stains bad. Its usually the purples and reds that rinse out and stain things in my experiences.

As for care...I don't know what your current routine is but I would wash CO, and possibly stretch the washes, and also...don't wash it with hot hot water, and follow up by a nice cold rinse.

Yes - a bright, crazy temporary colour to go over a fairly dark golden blonde. I'm aware it won't look like the packet unless I use bleach and it may go funny colours as it fades out. I was thinking whole head maybe.

As far as mess goes - I've never dyed my hair ever, it is fingertip length and I'm in a rental property. Hence the concern! I have no idea what would constitute globbing it on or too much. I think I'd have to wear a beach towel or similar over my entire back...

As for current routine: Pantene S&C but maybe 1-2x week and I could dilute the shampoo if necessary. I use cool water and a vinegar rinse anyway.

Panth
August 30th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Manic Panic: Hot Hot Pink, and Ultraviolet (two separate occasions.)
First time I think I left it in for thirty minutes, second time left it in overnight before rinsing out.

I used one jar both times. Diluted a little with extra conditioner the first time, just to be sure I would have even coverage, and the second time I just did streaks. Had enough left over for my kids. haha

Lasted about two months the first time, IIRC. It did wash out completely.

My current batch is on the verge of washing out. I put it in sometime back in late June, early July? It's still lightly green. Started off a dark indigo blue, so you are right about blue fading to green over blonde. It gets a little paler every time I wash.

I wash about twice a week with some diluted shampoo and ample conditioner.

No damage.

Kind of messy, but truth is, I'm just a messy person. You should see my stove when I'm done cooking spaghetti sauce. Shouldn't be that bad for normal people. It was less messy the second time!

Yes, it stained my bathtub bottom pink. Got some splatters on the bathroom counter, too. Let me tell how how thrilled my husband was. lol I used some bleach to get it out. Also stained my pillowcases, so don't use any you are real attached to.

All in all, if you are looking for some hair amusement and aren't overly attached to the outcome, deposit-only is a good way to go!

There are some pics in my album. If the uploady thing is working, mebbe I'll put up a few of my current pale teal shade. I kind of like it, though it is very different than the original color I put in!

That's great to know.

Mess is a concern because of being in a rental property.

It would be great to see your pale teal - your pink is quite amazing - so bright and a nice shade when faded too. Mine would be likely quite different as I'm a much darker blonde than you - golden blonde (most of the time) but on the very dark end of the blonde scale.

luthein
August 30th, 2012, 05:35 PM
What colour/brand did you use? Manic Panic Electric Lava
What method did you use to put it in (e.g. times, etc.)? 1 part dye, 4 parts conditioner
How much did you need (and what is your length/thickness)? ~2 tablespoons
How long did it last (and what is your normal washing method)? 8 weeks = 80% fading. 12 weeks = 95% fading. I CWC 3-4x weekly.
Did you experience any damage? none
How difficult and/or messy was it to put in? I applied it myself and stained a ring around my tub.
Did it make a mess subsequently when washing? It didn't stain, but lots of dye ran out for the first 5 washes.
Did you have multiple colours at once, and if so how easy was it to put in and how much bleeding/blending did you get when washing? Only one single color. It was a little difficult to get in; I tried to be mindful of my shower and any splattering.

misspurdy06
August 30th, 2012, 05:42 PM
What colour/brand did you use? Manic Panic Midnight Blue

What method did you use to put it in (e.g. times, etc.)? I combed it in and left it on for 3 hours

How much did you need (and what is your length/thickness)? 1 jar worked fine. I have TBL

How long did it last (and what is your normal washing method)? It lasted well into 3 months but I wash WO. By the end of 3 months it was just lighter blue. Didn't turn green very muchl.

Did you experience any damage? The only damage I got was from lightening before hand. I didn't really need to but I figured the dye would last longer.

The first time was a little messy because it was my first time but once you get some experience it's not difficult at all.

Did it make a mess subsequently when washing? Not really. If you comb in the dye till it froths it won't rinse out or drip or sweat blue.

Did you have multiple colours at once, and if so how easy was it to put in and how much bleeding/blending did you get when washing? Just the one dark blue.

Faded a little
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/243034_1989552586411_1471249053_32147852_7874506_o .jpg

A couple of applications in
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/258896_2033280159573_1471249053_32205965_6891572_o .jpg

After lots of color oops and a 10 developer to seal the cuticle then waiting a week to dye natural color.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/0824143132_01.jpg

Panth
September 4th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Ok, this is all quite encouraging...

Anyone else have any recommendations?

joflakes
September 4th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I have used (just today!) Directions. Today I used Rubine and I used a whole tub on my SL hair. It was quite messy but I'm a messy person! I left it on for 2.5 hours under a carrier bag with a turban on top to keep it warm and stop mess! It's over non-bleached hair and has just given my hair a lovely sheen of purpley-red.

In the past I've used Directions in other colours, most recently plum (a purple) which lasted about 8 weeks on my ends.

I hope that helps! :flower:

Panth
September 4th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I have used (just today!) Directions. Today I used Rubine and I used a whole tub on my SL hair. It was quite messy but I'm a messy person! I left it on for 2.5 hours under a carrier bag with a turban on top to keep it warm and stop mess! It's over non-bleached hair and has just given my hair a lovely sheen of purpley-red.

In the past I've used Directions in other colours, most recently plum (a purple) which lasted about 8 weeks on my ends.

I hope that helps! :flower:

Thanks!

I think now I'm just deciding on brand/shade and deciding whether to try a streak to start with or just go and do the whole lot (after patch and strand testing)...

I've told DH, so now that means I can't chicken out, right?

Another thing I've been thinking - what counts as "lasts ages" in bright dye terms? I would be a bit bored after say 6 months but I would be rather peeved if the dye only lasted a month - with fingertip-length hair it's going to be quite a lot of dye and quite a lot of faff so it better stay on long enough for it to be worth it!

detritus
September 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I've been dyeing my hair with deposit-only dyes for over a decade. It's entirely possible to dye over unbleached hair. I actually prefer the effect. The color is less intense but it preserves the color variation of your hair, which looks more sophisticated to me. The color will definitely fade faster on unbleached hair though, so it is vital to pick a color that will fade nicely. Usually blue and green look bad when they fade. The often go a dull pea-green or "too long in the chlorine pool" look. Pinks and cool reds fade well, as does purple.

Special Effects is hands-down the best, IMO. Fudge is good too. Manic Panic is trash. I just dyed my unbleached blonde hair lavender by diluting some Wild Flower and Cupcake Pink Special Effects in toner, then adding some stripes of each after the allover color was done. I wanted a very subtle pastel color--which unfortunately means if fades even faster. I CO and I put a little dye in my conditioner too to help preserve the color. It's not nearly enough to stain my hands or the tub but it really helps maintain the pale lavender that I want.

Generally you can use bleach to clean up porcelain without any trouble. Dye spatters on walls are tougher.

Aside from the mess that can result, deposit-only dyes are really easy and forgiving. Too dark? Just wait for it to fade. Too light? Slap some more dye on. It's not damaging at all. Usually my hair feels better after I touch up my color. You can easily add stripes of different colors for a really pretty watercolor effect. My towels get some dye on them, but otherwise I don't make much of a mess on pillows or furniture. If your head sweats a lot you might have more trouble with that.

Every day mine fades a bit, so it's hard to answer "how long does it last?" If I didn't add some dye to my conditioner, it would probably get light enough to look bad in a week. If you dyed a darker color initially, it could look good for 2-4 weeks. It really depends on your tolerance for faded color, how dark it was initially, your washing method and frequency, and your hair texture. It'll be different for everyone.

detritus
September 4th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Also, if my fade time seems really low compared to others, blame that on my hair texture not the dye. With the color I'm currently rocking, Manic Panic would probably need to be touched up after just a couple days. It doesn't take much fade to make lavender go to gray.

Special Effects lasts about twice as long as Manic Panic and has a richer tonality when it fades out. But, for me, unbleached hair holds the color only about 1/3 as long as bleached hair. My hair is very fine and silky. There's just not enough roughness to my natural texture for the dye to grab on to. When I bleach it's entirely to rough of the cuticle, not to remove color. Deposit-only dyes work by dye molecules sticking to the cuticle and more rough areas of the cuticle means more area for dye molecules to stick. Coarse or curly hair tends to grab the color for longer.

Panth
September 4th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I've been dyeing my hair with deposit-only dyes for over a decade. It's entirely possible to dye over unbleached hair. I actually prefer the effect. The color is less intense but it preserves the color variation of your hair, which looks more sophisticated to me. The color will definitely fade faster on unbleached hair though, so it is vital to pick a color that will fade nicely. Usually blue and green look bad when they fade. The often go a dull pea-green or "too long in the chlorine pool" look. Pinks and cool reds fade well, as does purple.

Special Effects is hands-down the best, IMO. Fudge is good too. Manic Panic is trash. I just dyed my unbleached blonde hair lavender by diluting some Wild Flower and Cupcake Pink Special Effects in toner, then adding some stripes of each after the allover color was done. I wanted a very subtle pastel color--which unfortunately means if fades even faster. I CO and I put a little dye in my conditioner too to help preserve the color. It's not nearly enough to stain my hands or the tub but it really helps maintain the pale lavender that I want.

Generally you can use bleach to clean up porcelain without any trouble. Dye spatters on walls are tougher.

Aside from the mess that can result, deposit-only dyes are really easy and forgiving. Too dark? Just wait for it to fade. Too light? Slap some more dye on. It's not damaging at all. Usually my hair feels better after I touch up my color. You can easily add stripes of different colors for a really pretty watercolor effect. My towels get some dye on them, but otherwise I don't make much of a mess on pillows or furniture. If your head sweats a lot you might have more trouble with that.

Every day mine fades a bit, so it's hard to answer "how long does it last?" If I didn't add some dye to my conditioner, it would probably get light enough to look bad in a week. If you dyed a darker color initially, it could look good for 2-4 weeks. It really depends on your tolerance for faded color, how dark it was initially, your washing method and frequency, and your hair texture. It'll be different for everyone.

Thanks, that's really helpful.

I know blue/green are liable to fade badly/funnily. But I don't really like red/purple at all. I guess that is why they are more common, though. That and people somehow thinking that red/purple with a tiny bit of a brown tint count as "naturally dyed hair".

The main complaint with green seems to be fading to a yellowish colour, yes? Do you think that might be better or worse if the base was a dark golden blonde? Perhaps it might blend a little better...

As far as "lasts ages", yeah, maybe a silly question. I guess most people doing crazy colours don't do it over unbleached hair and deal with the really faded stages at the end by either bleaching or re-dying so would never really know how long it might last if just left alone and washed.

Perhaps a better question is, what constitutes "ARGH, it won't come out!", which people seem to report a bit with, say, Directions Turquoise. Are we talking 3 months? 6 months? I'm trying to gauge if these ones are ones I should be avoiding or gravitating towards.

I guess the only real answer is a strand test...

kaydana
September 4th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Directions Pillarbox red, Tulip, Turquoise and Violet

wrapped it in cling film and left it on for a few hours

N/A I only dyed the ends of my hair

The violet was gone completely within a week, the red and tulip faded quickly but were faintly visible for about a month, the turquoise was visible for at least twice as long as that. (I reapplied the tulip over the remaining turquoise. The turquoise was still faintly visible after the tulip had faded again)

ETA: I wash my hair about twice a week, I changed from S&C to CO in the middle of that.

Only from the bleach (found LHC a little too late, didn't know to put coconut oil on before bleaching)

Not difficult or messy at all (but I've never had trouble with mess when applying dye to my hair)

Don't let it get on anything that can't be washed with bleach and you'll have no problems. (I stained the bath mat, but everything else was fine)

Yes, I had all of them in at the same time. Putting it in was easy enough (but I did only dye the ends) I just wrapped each section in cling film as I did it.
I rinsed each strand out individually, then washed it as normal. I didn't notice any bleeding at all.

detritus
September 4th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I've only experienced "argh it won't come out" with color over bleached hair. I've had pink dye hold on to bleached, damaged ends for 6-7 months. The pro of pink is that super pale bits sticking on forever usually looks ok. Pale bits of green usually doesn't look so hot. Since you already have some yellow tones from your natural color, those will combine with whatever color you put over top. So a true blue dye will turn out a little turquoise on your unbleached hair. When you are ready for it to be completely gone, often shampooing with a bit of bleach will remove the last bit of dye. No guarantees though!

Here are some photos of dyes over unbleached hair: http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/unbleachedpage1.html

Panth
September 5th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I've only experienced "argh it won't come out" with color over bleached hair. I've had pink dye hold on to bleached, damaged ends for 6-7 months. The pro of pink is that super pale bits sticking on forever usually looks ok. Pale bits of green usually doesn't look so hot. Since you already have some yellow tones from your natural color, those will combine with whatever color you put over top. So a true blue dye will turn out a little turquoise on your unbleached hair. When you are ready for it to be completely gone, often shampooing with a bit of bleach will remove the last bit of dye. No guarantees though!

Here are some photos of dyes over unbleached hair: http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/unbleachedpage1.html

Bolded bit: this is my problem. I am not putting bleach in my hair. No way. Not at all. Not even a little, not even diluted. Not at all. I have probably what amounts to a 10 year investment in growth sitting on my head and I know my hair is delicate - I'm a F and I can't grow past TB without daily bunning.

So, I'm obviously quite concerned about the dye never coming out with just washing. A fun temporary colour is not worth having to re-grow 10 years worth of hair.

However, equally, the faff (and expense) of dying fingertip length hair means it's not going to be worth it if it only lasts a week or so.

I guess the only real answer to all this is a strand test, though, right?

spidermom
September 7th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I used Punky by Jerome Russell, also Manic Panic, but I liked the Punky better. To prepare, I washed my hair but used no conditioner at all and let it dry.

I separated my dry hair into horizontal panels and only dyed every other one (my daughter used a regular paint brush, the size used for trim painting but cut off to half the bristle length). Once I left the panels loose, the next time I braided them. They were easiest for daughter to handle braided. I only used half the jar of Punky. I didn't want the color to be too intense. To make the color hold better, I made my first rinse a pitcher of diluted vinegar. I think I used about 1/4 cup vinegar to a large pitcher. I poured it very slowly through all my hair.

Yes, it did make a big mess when I first stepped into the shower to rinse the dye out of my hair, but Comet cleanser took it right off. After that, I could tell that dye was coming out every time I washed my hair (the suds were pink). The dye that got onto my pillowcase and towels washed out easily in the washing machine.

The dye gradually faded away over 3-4 months. I found it to be a really good conditioning treatment - no damage at all and blinding shine.

Panth
September 8th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I used Punky by Jerome Russell, also Manic Panic, but I liked the Punky better. To prepare, I washed my hair but used no conditioner at all and let it dry.

I separated my dry hair into horizontal panels and only dyed every other one (my daughter used a regular paint brush, the size used for trim painting but cut off to half the bristle length). Once I left the panels loose, the next time I braided them. They were easiest for daughter to handle braided. I only used half the jar of Punky. I didn't want the color to be too intense. To make the color hold better, I made my first rinse a pitcher of diluted vinegar. I think I used about 1/4 cup vinegar to a large pitcher. I poured it very slowly through all my hair.

Yes, it did make a big mess when I first stepped into the shower to rinse the dye out of my hair, but Comet cleanser took it right off. After that, I could tell that dye was coming out every time I washed my hair (the suds were pink). The dye that got onto my pillowcase and towels washed out easily in the washing machine.

The dye gradually faded away over 3-4 months. I found it to be a really good conditioning treatment - no damage at all and blinding shine.

Thank you!

3-4 months sounds quite encouraging.

Did you ever try any blue-based shades, or just the pink/purple ones?

Freija
September 8th, 2012, 04:04 AM
I'm just going to chip in with a word of caution - everybody's hair is different, and thus, takes dye differently. I have always found deposit-only dyes a nightmare to get out, and although my hair is curly and thick, it's also fine and soft, not coarse (which you might expect would hold onto colour for longer). Please strand-test and wait for the test-strand to fade completely, because you might always be the odd one (like me) who ends up not being able to get rid of the colour and with ten years' investment in hair on your head, it's not worth taking a risk.

Re: Deposit-only dye: experiences & recommendations, please
Directions Tulip, Directions Vermilion, Stargazer Foxy Red, Stargazer Coral Gold (my favourite).

When I wanted a brighter result (Directions Tulip, Directions Vermilion, Stargazer Coral Gold) I applied as much of the tub as I could, neat, and left it for two hours. When I became more cautious later on, I started applying a tablespoon of dye mixed with conditioner. I didn't bother with clingfilm, just clipped my hair up.

I was between shoulder and APL when I was dyeing my hair, and my hair is thick and curly but quite fine. I used anything between a full bottle of Stargazer, neat, and a third of a tub of Directions, mixed with conditioner.

I'm an SLS-washer and I still had to resort to using three boxes of dye-remover over the course of two weeks to remove the worst of it - including one lot which I left on for three hours. Like you, I wasn't prepared to use bleach - but even having to use that much colour remover was drying, it roughed up my hair quite badly, and burnt my scalp. My natural colour is light auburn, but you can still see that my lengths are a brighter shade when you look closely. I'm waiting to see how obvious this will be as it grows out...

No, not with any brand. Getting it out again was another story - especially for my scalp (which was already sensitised from a bad reaction to a natural shampoo). I'm sitting here with aloe and olive oil on right now to try to calm it down, and all of this happened a month ago. Thankfully my hair doesn't seem to have incurred any lasting harm, though.

Quite messy compared with other dyes (if it drips, you have no time to get it off before it starts to stain porous surfaces - like china sinks, flooring, towels, and you). Wear rubber gloves and expect them to be completely dyed by the time you're done! Use old, dark towels, wear an old t-shirt and put down loads of newspaper. Deposit-only dye also stains your scalp for the first couple of washes, so don't apply it right before you have to go somewhere!

A little bit on white towels and the bottom of the shower (especially the Directions Tulip) but the shower scrubbed clean.

Nope, just the one shade at a time.

Panth
September 8th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I'm just going to chip in with a word of caution - everybody's hair is different, and thus, takes dye differently. I have always found deposit-only dyes a nightmare to get out, and although my hair is curly and thick, it's also fine and soft, not coarse (which you might expect would hold onto colour for longer). Please strand-test and wait for the test-strand to fade completely, because you might always be the odd one (like me) who ends up not being able to get rid of the colour and with ten years' investment in hair on your head, it's not worth taking a risk.

Re: Deposit-only dye: experiences & recommendations, please
Directions Tulip, Directions Vermilion, Stargazer Foxy Red, Stargazer Coral Gold (my favourite).

When I wanted a brighter result (Directions Tulip, Directions Vermilion, Stargazer Coral Gold) I applied as much of the tub as I could, neat, and left it for two hours. When I became more cautious later on, I started applying a tablespoon of dye mixed with conditioner. I didn't bother with clingfilm, just clipped my hair up.

I was between shoulder and APL when I was dyeing my hair, and my hair is thick and curly but quite fine. I used anything between a full bottle of Stargazer, neat, and a third of a tub of Directions, mixed with conditioner.

I'm an SLS-washer and I still had to resort to using three boxes of dye-remover over the course of two weeks to remove the worst of it - including one lot which I left on for three hours. Like you, I wasn't prepared to use bleach - but even having to use that much colour remover was drying, it roughed up my hair quite badly, and burnt my scalp. My natural colour is light auburn, but you can still see that my lengths are a brighter shade when you look closely. I'm waiting to see how obvious this will be as it grows out...

No, not with any brand. Getting it out again was another story - especially for my scalp (which was already sensitised from a bad reaction to a natural shampoo). I'm sitting here with aloe and olive oil on right now to try to calm it down, and all of this happened a month ago. Thankfully my hair doesn't seem to have incurred any lasting harm, though.

Quite messy compared with other dyes (if it drips, you have no time to get it off before it starts to stain porous surfaces - like china sinks, flooring, towels, and you). Wear rubber gloves and expect them to be completely dyed by the time you're done! Use old, dark towels, wear an old t-shirt and put down loads of newspaper. Deposit-only dye also stains your scalp for the first couple of washes, so don't apply it right before you have to go somewhere!

A little bit on white towels and the bottom of the shower (especially the Directions Tulip) but the shower scrubbed clean.

Nope, just the one shade at a time.

Thank you. It's very helpful to hear the warning stories as well as the happy ones.

I'm thinking of doing a thin stripe (like <1" wide) near my nape, but down the whole length, and leaving it in until it washes completely out. Then maybe doing the whole head if it worked nicely and I liked it, etc. I certainly think caution is best with this!

Out of curiosity, how long did your colour last (with SLS washes) before you started to actively try to remove it with the dye-remover? Also, was it any particular colour that wouldn't wash out, or all of them?

jacqueline101
September 8th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I used claiol jazzing fuschia plum it was purple. It lasted about a week. Easy to use didn't bleach prior to use. It never faded on my hair items. It wasn't damaging.

Panth
September 8th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I used claiol jazzing fuschia plum it was purple. It lasted about a week. Easy to use didn't bleach prior to use. It never faded on my hair items. It wasn't damaging.

Thank you.

I have to say, I'd be pretty peeved if I went to all the effort of dying my hair for it to only last a week, though!

Freija
September 8th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Thank you. It's very helpful to hear the warning stories as well as the happy ones.

I'm thinking of doing a thin stripe (like <1" wide) near my nape, but down the whole length, and leaving it in until it washes completely out. Then maybe doing the whole head if it worked nicely and I liked it, etc. I certainly think caution is best with this!

Out of curiosity, how long did your colour last (with SLS washes) before you started to actively try to remove it with the dye-remover? Also, was it any particular colour that wouldn't wash out, or all of them?

Let's see... I used the Directions Tulip first, and left it to fade. I had to use Head and Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo, and dish-soap, to get the worst of it out at about the one-month mark. This worked quite well, and then the last of it just faded out. I'd say that it was gone within three months or so.

Some time later, I dyed my hair with Directions Vermilion, neat, left on for more than an hour. This looked like fresh henna at first, it was so bright and fiery - and it glowed similarly in the sun, too! It faded fast, but left a natural-looking and very soft warm copper-gold tint. I got most of this out with a single application of colour remover, but a warm sheen did stick around.

Then, a few months later, I topped up the red again with a diluted application of Vermilion (I added conditioner). When this had faded a bit, I dyed again with Stargazer Foxy Red, then a month later I used more conditioner and Vermilion, then finally, a month after that, I used Coral Gold. It was when the Coral Gold finally started to fade that I got sick of dying my hair and wanted my natural colour back - and ended up repeatedly applying colour remover. With each of the red dyes, I found that the original colour did go - it just left a warm coppery gold stain on my hair which probably still isn't totally gone.

To give you an idea of the amount of SLS involved, I wash/shampoo my scalp every other day.

Freija
September 8th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Also - remember that you can often apply these dyes once and get them out again completely, but the more you reapply them, the more likely they are to stain the hair permanently. Just like henna, if your hair holds onto even the tiniest hints of colour, that can build up. I'm not trying to scare you, and I don't want to needlessly put you off doing someting that you really want - but I do wish I'd heard more of the negatives as well as the positives when I was sitting in front of my bathroom mirror with a bottle of dye and my growing-out-virgin hair thinking 'oh... it'll wash out again'.

rach
September 8th, 2012, 03:25 PM
What colour/brand did you use?: I used Manic Panic's pink/ purple one
What method did you use to put it in (e.g. times, etc.)?over damp hair and left for few hours under cling film
How much did you need (and what is your length/thickness)?: one pot ish
How long did it last (and what is your normal washing method)?: week ? not long
Did you experience any damage?: none. Felt unnaturally silky - not that i'm complaining.
Did it make a mess subsequently when washing? came out very easy
How difficult and/or messy was it to put in? most messiest stuff i have ever encountered but it was fun.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2337/5782294377_cb1aab3de5.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5263/5781647635_de9aeea0d9.jpg

over my before henna colour

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8289/7843714802_0dbc9d9e76.jpg

Panth
September 9th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Let's see... I used the Directions Tulip first, and left it to fade. I had to use Head and Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo, and dish-soap, to get the worst of it out at about the one-month mark. This worked quite well, and then the last of it just faded out. I'd say that it was gone within three months or so.

Some time later, I dyed my hair with Directions Vermilion, neat, left on for more than an hour. This looked like fresh henna at first, it was so bright and fiery - and it glowed similarly in the sun, too! It faded fast, but left a natural-looking and very soft warm copper-gold tint. I got most of this out with a single application of colour remover, but a warm sheen did stick around.

Then, a few months later, I topped up the red again with a diluted application of Vermilion (I added conditioner). When this had faded a bit, I dyed again with Stargazer Foxy Red, then a month later I used more conditioner and Vermilion, then finally, a month after that, I used Coral Gold. It was when the Coral Gold finally started to fade that I got sick of dying my hair and wanted my natural colour back - and ended up repeatedly applying colour remover. With each of the red dyes, I found that the original colour did go - it just left a warm coppery gold stain on my hair which probably still isn't totally gone.

To give you an idea of the amount of SLS involved, I wash/shampoo my scalp every other day.

Thank you.

I do SLS (Pantene) every 4-5 days or so. I'm not bothered if it is still sticking around after a month. 6 months and I would start to worry. :p

So, your times don't worry me too much (and, as I said, I'll be testing on a very small patch and leaving it until it completely washes out). But, it is still very good to know.

Also - remember that you can often apply these dyes once and get them out again completely, but the more you reapply them, the more likely they are to stain the hair permanently. Just like henna, if your hair holds onto even the tiniest hints of colour, that can build up. I'm not trying to scare you, and I don't want to needlessly put you off doing someting that you really want - but I do wish I'd heard more of the negatives as well as the positives when I was sitting in front of my bathroom mirror with a bottle of dye and my growing-out-virgin hair thinking 'oh... it'll wash out again'.

This is also good to know. Thank you.

Panth
September 9th, 2012, 05:18 AM
What colour/brand did you use?: I used Manic Panic's pink/ purple one
What method did you use to put it in (e.g. times, etc.)?over damp hair and left for few hours under cling film
How much did you need (and what is your length/thickness)?: one pot ish
How long did it last (and what is your normal washing method)?: week ? not long
Did you experience any damage?: none. Felt unnaturally silky - not that i'm complaining.
Did it make a mess subsequently when washing? came out very easy
How difficult and/or messy was it to put in? most messiest stuff i have ever encountered but it was fun.

Thank you. That is a lovely colour you got. Pity it only lasted a week!