PDA

View Full Version : Tender headed updos and braids....a thread for ideas

Vanilla
August 30th, 2012, 11:33 AM
What are some of your favorite updos as a tender head?

Mine are:
Chinese braided bun with spin pins, no stick
Nautilus bun with 1 stick (sometimes I have to redo)

French and Dutch braids have been bothering me lately, so I haven't done them as a base for updos in a few days.

dulce
August 30th, 2012, 11:50 AM
A lazy wrap bun held with a beak clip,it never pulls and the roots have a slight lift so they are not stressed.

Vanilla
August 30th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I use a ficcare in my lazy wrap bin and it pulls a little bit for me. Where do you secure yours?

pepperminttea
August 30th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Hair taping, or Heidi braids would work for shorter lengths. :) And it's not that protective admittedly, but just a single English braid left unbunned is really comfortable for me.

Vanilla
August 30th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Hair taping, or Heidi braids would work for shorter lengths. :) And it's not that protective admittedly, but just a single English braid left unbunned is really comfortable for me.

Do you pony your English braid before doing it? I find a pony helps a lot to distribute weight.

Dorothy
August 30th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I have bun pain now and I'm trying a new thing, a single rope braid with no tie at the top wrapped into a bun and held in place with a headband that goes around my head. It is helping. I find often though I can't braid straight enough and my braid always pulls. So a braided bun is worse. Maybe it'll get better with practice?

Not tonight, though, this is comfy. I haven't looked at it, though.

SongofLove
August 31st, 2012, 12:36 AM
Do y'all use spin pins? I have difficulty making hairstick buns that don't pull, but when I use spin pins (2 of them) to secure my braided Cinnabun it seems to be easy to make a comfy one. (I always have to do braided buns or they slip; my hair is super slippery.)

Jorja
August 31st, 2012, 02:56 AM
I've had this trouble. If I braid, there is always a few strands that are too tight, which I don't notice until I undo it later, and sticks would always either pull a section too tight, or sit too tight against my head. I like the term 'tender head' by the way lol.

I had a go at a gibson tuck a couple of days ago and that works well without pulling at all.

I used to like stretch headbands, but by the end of the day I'd have a headache and an itchy head. Shame, because they're good for hiding my greys before I henna again.

pepperminttea
August 31st, 2012, 03:07 AM
SongofLove: I do! I love spin pins for more discreet hold. Have you tried hair forks instead of sticks? I find they can hold a looser bun with less help than sticks.

Do you pony your English braid before doing it? I find a pony helps a lot to distribute weight.

I don't personally, I find it's most comfortable for me without it, and kept low - at nape. Anything high up is an instant headache.

MeowScat
August 31st, 2012, 03:19 AM
Spin Pins are fantastic, I love them dearly.

When my scalp is sore, I find that bunning (whichever kind of bun) on top of my head helps a lot. Gravity is on your side, your head makes a great resting spot for the weight of the bun.

It's easier to bend at the waist and flip your over than to comb it all upwards. Start off standing up straight, make a pony with your hands, tilt your head back and gently move the pony up, bend over while still holding your hair and either move your pony to the top of your head or just let your hair fall in front of you. Flipping your loose hair over without doing that causes tangles in detangled hair. (I hope I described that right)

Sometimes you need to give your roots a break from all the pulling and strain when wearing it at the nape or back of your head.

Just don't make it too tight, which would defeat the purpose.

Vanilla
August 31st, 2012, 08:13 AM
I like spin pins as well. I can sometimes do a braided cinnabun or regular cinnabun the day before wash day with them. It depends so much on bun placement with me.

dulce
August 31st, 2012, 10:13 AM
When I do a lazywrap bun.I tend to put the beak clip at a slight diagonal.I find for me,my only ficcarre pulls but the lighter beak clip does not.

dulce
August 31st, 2012, 10:13 AM
And I just looked at my avatar and my clip is horizontal!

HairStickler
September 3rd, 2012, 08:39 AM
When my scalp is sore, I find that bunning (whichever kind of bun) on top of my head helps a lot. Gravity is on your side, your head makes a great resting spot for the weight of the bun.
Thank you, MeowScat! My scalp is sore today, so I tried this. The bun is just sitting on the top of my head, not pulling at all, and the back of my head is getting a break.