PDA

View Full Version : Help! stuck in a hair rut!!!

sweetestpoison
August 30th, 2012, 09:19 AM
so my hair is only a couple of inches from hip length but i am stuck in a hair rut. I feel like there is so little i can do with it even though i know there are so many buns, they all have the same general appearance on me and to be honest, one can't tell the difference between the other if they didn't know better. If i want to get fancy with it, it takes far too long. I want to feel pretty again you guys! I cut my bangs back not that long ago but those have lost their appeal as well. i have had my hair cut to a bob several times, so i'm afraid that it will be no big deal for me, i'll go in and cut it and boom, instant regret. Well, regret after maybe the first night. I just wanna wear my hair down and feel pretty but i am trying to protect it so i can't heat style it. Without heat styling my hair is far from sexy. Any suggestions? I thought about selling it too, then at least i would have a good reason to get rid of it.

Amanah
August 30th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Maybe a long slightly layered almost waist length cut with chin length side swept bangs?
You could wear this down, and if you maintain it at this length you would be trimming off any extra damage you might sustain because of not keeping it up?

MissAlida
August 30th, 2012, 09:26 AM
You say you have curly hair. Might I ask (don't take it as an offence), how in the world does it not look sexy??? Long curly hair is as sexy as hair can get IMHO.:) I don't wear updos, because I love my hair down, and updos don't look very good on me. Is your hair frizzy? If it is, I suggest you try a mousse. Yes,yes, I know it has alcool. So what? It's not as bad as heat styling. And after you scrunch it out of your hair, you'll get instant shiny bouncy big curls. I don't know if you henna or not. But if you don't , then you could try that aswell. You have dark hair, it'll add a red shine to it. You could try braids, or bandana curls. Try everything before you cut. I wanted to cut it into a pixie just days ago. And I didn't because I decided to try henna instead. I love it so far, and not thinking about cutting anymore. I'm sure others will come up with ideas too.;)

ETA: I agree with Amanah, a waist lenght hair might be easier to wear down. Or even MBL.

sweetestpoison
August 30th, 2012, 09:52 AM
You say you have curly hair. Might I ask (don't take it as an offence), how in the world does it not look sexy??? Long curly hair is as sexy as hair can get IMHO.:) I don't wear updos, because I love my hair down, and updos don't look very good on me. Is your hair frizzy? If it is, I suggest you try a mousse. Yes,yes, I know it has alcool. So what? It's not as bad as heat styling. And after you scrunch it out of your hair, you'll get instant shiny bouncy big curls. I don't know if you henna or not. But if you don't , then you could try that aswell. You have dark hair, it'll add a red shine to it. You could try braids, or bandana curls. Try everything before you cut. I wanted to cut it into a pixie just days ago. And I didn't because I decided to try henna instead. I love it so far, and not thinking about cutting anymore. I'm sure others will come up with ideas too.;)

ETA: I agree with Amanah, a waist lenght hair might be easier to wear down. Or even MBL.

Been there, tried that, my hair just has a mind of its own. I will set it one way with the mousse or any kind of oil or product but the curs will for sure change. On top of that i just don't have the right face shape to rock the curls. I wear my hair up 97% of the time not because it's hard to manage but because it looks better up with some sort of straightened fringe than down with curls. I have tried sock curls and whatnot, and those are fine and all but take way too long to be practical and yeild unreliable results. Especially if i go to sleep with them in. I would love to henna but don't think it will show up on my hair more than it already does (there is some henna in my coconut oil, i have some golden and red highlights when the sun hits it).

lacefrost
August 30th, 2012, 10:00 AM
So I just checked your album and I'm curious: is your hair 3b/3c and you straightened it in all your pictures? Or could it be a looser curl, more like 3a?

I ask because styles for 3b/3c that would work are different from those for 2b/3a.

Rufflebutt
August 30th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I'm sure your natural texture is far from unsexy. Maybe you could focus on trying to learn how to care for your hair in a way that would compliment your texture? If you have naturally curly or even wavy hair, you could try the curlygirl method.

sweetestpoison
August 30th, 2012, 10:18 AM
So I just checked your album and I'm curious: is your hair 3b/3c and you straightened it in all your pictures? Or could it be a looser curl, more like 3a?

I ask because styles for 3b/3c that would work are different from those for 2b/3a.

I'm actually not really 100% sure what type i am, but every picture in my album has been manipulated in some way. It takes to styling very well and just letting it dry in a braid with some coconut oil yields a totally different result than letting it air dry with no manipulation. Also for some reason whenever i have bangs the bangs will dry pretty straight even though the rest of it curls intensely *shrugs* this is my hair without any manipulation:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8041/7894781206_894583d588.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63128997@N06/7894781206/)
226148_194056660654646_6974154_n (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63128997@N06/7894781206/) by tatfreak15 (http://www.flickr.com/people/63128997@N06/), on Flickr

sweetestpoison
August 30th, 2012, 10:29 AM
oh and another reason i can't wear it down that often is humidity. When my hair was short it stood up to humidity a LOT better and behaved itself, now if i wear it down when it is above 60% humidity i might as well put a mop on my head T.T

brave
August 30th, 2012, 04:13 PM
It can take a lot of work to find a product that can work for your particular hair. But it sounds like you just don't really like your natural hair texture, and there's not really much of a cure for that. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that either, it just means that you're going to probably have to either put a lot more work in and be ok with some damage, or cut.

Personally I think your curls look fantastic, and could definitely look incredibly sexy. There's lots of gels and mousses and etc out there, and you have to kiss a bunch of frogs to find a product that works (especially with humidity. There are gels out there that will help keep humidity out -- look for something with no PVP, some polyquat instead).

misspurdy06
August 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM
(1)Walk around your house naked with your hair down.

I do this when I feel that way. Just feeling my hair brush against my body and looking in the mirror at my long hair cascading down my body makes me feel really good about it.

(2)Put flowers and gems in your hair.

Flowers and gems won't damage your hair at all and is easy to do.

These are things that work for me.

katfemme89
August 30th, 2012, 05:55 PM
On top of that i just don't have the right face shape to rock the curls.

Are you kidding me? You're f'kin gorgeous! Oval faces like yours are notorious for being able to handle MANY styles...

kdaniels8811
August 30th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I agree, your face AND hair are both gorgeous. You are way too hard on yourself, I am envious of your looks and hair!!

Angel Barchild
August 30th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Was there a length you were happy at? I have known people who grew their hair out very long, only to find out they liked it better somewhere in between. I don't suggest you do anything drastic without thinking it through for a good amount of time (I have had so much bad hair because of this) but maybe you just don't like hip length hair on yourself. Nothing wrong with that, waist, bsl, apl, shoulder, even a pixie, they all look good in their own right.

MissAlida
August 31st, 2012, 09:37 AM

I do this when I feel that way. Just feeling my hair brush against my body and looking in the mirror at my long hair cascading down my body makes me feel really good about it.

:DThis is what keeps me from cutting. It feels soooo goood against the back.No short hair can ever replace the feeling.:rolleyes:

OP: I'm sorry mousse is not working for you. I think you should experiment with other products, like leave ins, oil, etc. But if you really want to cut, and you're 100% sure, then that is the way to go. Long hair is ok, as long as you enjoy it. If not, then it's time for a change.:)

jacqueline101
August 31st, 2012, 11:33 AM
I would do layers to enhance your curls and I like the jewels idea. Putting jewels in your hair.

lacefrost
September 7th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Based on the photo, it looks more like your hair is 3a. Your hair type looks similar to kitschy's. I would go and ask her for advice since she seems to wear it in its natural state most of the time. Plus her hair is the same length as yours and it's gorgeous.

HairySherry
September 7th, 2012, 11:33 AM

Yes! Feeling my hair against my skin makes me feel so sexy! Haha, I thought I was the only person who did that! Sometimes I just sit on my bed with no shirt on swaying back and forth. My husband will ask me "What in the world are you doing?" And I'll say, "Oh, just swaying!" :D

sweetestpoison why don't you try cutting it back in small increments in case you decide you like your hair better at MBL or something, rather than chop it all off all at once? I've always wanted big, long, curly hair so I'd love to be in your position, but I also know that we all want something different and it's usually not what we've naturally got. I hope you find something you like without having to cut all of your hair off. But in the end, no matter what you decide, as long as you're happy with it that's all that matters. Good luck!!

And P.S.: lacefrost you are gorgeous!

sweetestpoison
September 7th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks guys for all the support! And for typing my hair XD i wasn't happy at any length i have had for different reasons. Right now i am not happy because i'm trying to prevent damage but want to heat style it all the time. When it was short i wasn't happy because i felt like i couldn't do too much with it and knew i would have to wait forever for it to grow out healthy and evenly. I want it to be a couple inches longer than it is now i just have to push through this little rut. Hopefully the curlformers i just swapped my XL flexi for will help :) I love the feeling of the hair on my back as somebody on here mentioned, but i also have a neck tattoo that i love to show off. I think that's part of the reason i wear my hair up so much XD

CurlyCurves
September 9th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Big, long, curly hair is damned sexy!