PDA

View Full Version : wavy/curly hair question so that I can improve

mamaherrera
August 29th, 2012, 09:31 PM
I hope you curlies can help me. I lose so much hair when detangling. I have to wash daily due to SD. So thus, I have to detangle daily. there is so much controversy as to whether to detangle, (i start with fingers and then run the comb through) with wet hair or dry. Now I just worry that since I'm showering in warm water, if my pores are open from the heat, could hairs be coming out easier (hairs that aren't meant to come out) when doing this with conditioner and in the shower? what are the best tips you curlies have for me to get better hair treatment, handling? Thanks so much

CurlyCap
August 29th, 2012, 09:51 PM
As you know, everyone is different.

But with my hair, I detangle every day by fingercombing. I don't use a comb because it causes more breakage. Fingercombing I only lose about 5-10 hairs. Then I lose another 5-10 hairs spreading product through my hair afterwards.

That said, I don't think it's the daily washing and detangling that's the problem. You be having more breakage or you could be one who sheds more.

And while I understand the reasoning behind waiting until the hair is dry to detangle, it doesn't work for me. My hair is curly enough that I cannot brush it easily when it's dry. Dry detangling literally means increased breakage. My hair needs to be at least damp, but preferably soaking wet with a ton of conditioner in it for lubrication.

Suze2012
August 29th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I only detangle when wet - if there is slip in it I will do it in the bath before putting conditioner in to wash out, if there is no or little slip I detangle when the conditioner is in.

I only ever finger comb and I only ever get the worst tangles out - I don't spend much time detangling.
I also don't seem to shed all that much and this has become less since starting co-washing.

If I go for a day two and don't wash my hair I don't detangle at all. I just leave it as it is and fluff it up a bit.

DancingQueen
August 30th, 2012, 12:57 AM
I never touch my hair when it is wet, I wait until it is completely dry (for me, 3-4 hours). You always loose more hair in the shower, because it doesn't slip out as it does on straight hair, it have to be physically removed. But if you comb wet hair too much, you risk pulling out more than you are supposed to, at wet hair is more fragile.

That aside, I have been a heavy shedder all my life. But I recently discovered the holy grail (at least for me): Oil.

Every morning, before I comb, I take a tiny bit of light oil, and finger comb through my hair, to get as many tangles and remove loose hair. Then I follow up with my wide-tooth comb. I went from 50-60 shed hairs, to 10 shed hairs. Litterally.

I think that patience is key. Always be very gentle with your hair, especially curly hair. Hope it helped. :)

CurlyCurves
August 30th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Exact same problem. I can't dry detangle (*snap**snap* shudder:), but I lose an unGodly amount of hairs when I detangle in the shower. But I have to detangle daily because I get awful tangles.

Sigh.

MissAlida
August 31st, 2012, 11:23 AM
I don't finger comb or comb or brush in any way. This is what I do: I don't wash my hair in the shower, but wash it separately. I bend over the bathtub, and flip my hair upside down. I use a hand held showerhead, and let the water run from the nape of my neck down to the tips. I do this and gently feel for any tangles. When there are none, I apply conditioner, and only then I comb it out. I do this all upside down, hanging my head in the bathtub. It is a bit uncomfortable, but think about all the blood that flows to the follicles.:D And I don't detangle at all when dry. It just begs for splits.