PDA

View Full Version : To henna now or later?

Evadne
August 29th, 2012, 02:13 PM
The urge to henna my hair has been growing steadily over the last couple months. I'm not really sure what to do, so I'm hoping you guys might be able to give me your opinions.

I know henna can have a real positive impact on hair, which is half of the reason why I want to do it. Anything that can improve the quality of my hair, naturally, I'm more than happy to try. Whether the difference is slight or not, an improvement is an improvement, and I'll take it. So it's not really about whether or not I'll use henna, but rather, when.

The problem is that I've always wanted a natural red color for my hair. Unfortunately, I was born with a relatively dark brown color instead. I know if I want the sort of ginger color I'm in love with, my hair would probably need to be a few shades lighter than it is now, which is rather difficult to achieve without bleach.

I tried honey lightening the other day to see how it would turn out, and I did see the slightest of lightening with no noticeable difference in quality or texture, but I know it would take a rather large number of treatments to get a reasonable lightness for the shade I want.

Here's the shade of red that I'd kill to have: http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/Sweetie079_2009/IMG_0035.jpg

And here's my current hair:
http://imgur.com/eJ8Gl
This was taken today, in front of a window, with the curtains closed. The color is about as close to accurate as I can get.
(For those who may not remember, I bleached the lower half of my hair in May for the ombre look. The blonde isn't a direct result of the honey.) Oh, please forgive the slight greasies, I've got oil and panacea in my hair!

So basically, I'm struggling with the decision to just henna now, without all the honey treatments, or to wait and try to get a lighter shade of brown and then use henna.

That shade of red doesn't seem like it's too light to get without bleach, but i'm no expert. I guess I'm figuring, if I'm going to be getting red hair either way, I might as well at least try to get the "nicest" red possible. Not that I don't like a darker shade of red, it's just not my ideal color. Really, I'm secretly jealous of just about anyone with red hair!

What do you guys think? What would you do? Is my hair too dark to get that color?

battles
August 29th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I think your hair may be too dark for that color. My hair is lighter than yours, on the border of dark blonde/light brown and went much darker than that really quickly.

I would avoid the bleach. You would have to bleach your roots and then henna every time you wanted to do your roots. Also, if you do decide to use henna, definitely strand test. Make sure you really like the color before you put it on your head. :flower:

browneyedsusan
August 29th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I agree with Battles.

I think your hair will come out similiar to mine. (Maybe a little darker, because I know I have more gray than you!) Strand test to make sure you like it first!

Redhead Rebel
August 29th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I think if you don't want a dark red and want a more natural look you mix cassia with the henna, I think I was told 1/3 Henna with 2/3 Cassia. There are quite afew posts on the henna forum.
Sorry I'm not much help, I'm still quite new here too.

bunnylake
August 29th, 2012, 03:12 PM
If you have to use bleach to achieve the color you want, it might be a hassle to keep up with... you might have to continually bleach your roots, which will not make for healthy hair!
I saw give henna a go. With your ombre hair, you'll get beautiful shades of dark to light red, I bet!
:blossom:

Pierre
August 29th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I say, go for it, without bleach. It may not be the color you wanted, but the way it feels, you'll grow to love it. Do strand test, of course.

Evadne
August 29th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

Having to deal with roots that were too obvious was something that was hanging on the back of my mind. I know that probably sounds weird coming from someone with "roots" as long as chin length., but I don't really consider my natural color on the upper half as roots since the look was deliberate.

The honey lightening would be a very drawn out process with lightening the overall color, let alone trying to be precise with root application later on. It would probably be way more trouble than it's worth. Not to mention possible damage with constant application.

Thanks for pointing out the henna + cassia mix, Redhead Rebel. It hadn't really occurred to me that that could be an option. I'm going to look into that as it sounds like it could be a decent compromise.

You're right, bunnylake! That was why I wasn't too afraid of the idea of just using henna over my existing color. I mean, I love red hair, and I love ombre, so why not combine the two! I think the idea of having that amazing shade all over was just too tempting. The blonde ends are pretty darn light though, so it shouldn't be too far off. I could totally live with that.

Thanks again guys. I knew I could count on you to be honest and sensible... to talk me off the ledge, even! Really needed an outsiders perspective since I don't really have anyone I can talk to about hair stuff. Everyone in my life would probably just tell me to buy bleach from the grocery store and use a boxed dye after! *cringe* I'll do some more research and be sure to do a strand test or two. Especially if I decide to test out different mixes with cassia.

PS: Every time I see your sig, battles, I LOL. I can totally relate to that cat!

hermosamendoza
August 29th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I have dark hair and it only got darker with henna.

lapushka
August 29th, 2012, 06:24 PM
The problem is that I've always wanted a natural red color for my hair. Unfortunately, I was born with a relatively dark brown color instead. I know if I want the sort of ginger color I'm in love with, my hair would probably need to be a few shades lighter than it is now, which is rather difficult to achieve without bleach.

I tried honey lightening the other day to see how it would turn out, and I did see the slightest of lightening with no noticeable difference in quality or texture, but I know it would take a rather large number of treatments to get a reasonable lightness for the shade I want.

Here's the shade of red that I'd kill to have: http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/Sweetie079_2009/IMG_0035.jpg

And here's my current hair:
http://imgur.com/eJ8Gl
This was taken today, in front of a window, with the curtains closed. The color is about as close to accurate as I can get.

Your hair is too dark to get that color. I had that color and I'm a dark ash blonde, and even then over time, with more and more henna treatments it darkened to a mahogany color rather than a true redhead color. You have to be, I guess, a light to mid-tone blonde to have that color with repeated applications of henna.

I'm not sure how you're going to accomplish it, but it's going to involve all over bleach and then root bleaching to maintain that color. Not pretty!

browneyedsusan
August 29th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I say, go for it, without bleach. It may not be the color you wanted, but the way it feels, you'll grow to love it. Do strand test, of course.

^this^
Pierre is right on! I'd prefer strawberry, but HOLEY MOLEY my hair is like a shampoo model's with henna in it!!! It's silky soft, zero splits, and fiery red in the sun. I'm addicted...

Strand test first...;)

MonaMayfair
August 30th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evadne, I lightened up my henna'd hair, that had darkened too much, with honey but it took about 18 treatments to get it to the color I wanted. I honestly can't imagine trying to do roots only with honey, it's such a slow process, not to mention messy!

Your hair's too dark to get that color in the picture, as the others said. Maybe henna your hair now and see how you feel about the color. Then you do have the option in future of using bleach or Sun In over it to lighten it up (if you decided you want the lighter color at the risk of a bit of damage)

jojo
August 30th, 2012, 08:51 AM
If you want that colour you would need to bleach first, honey works in lightening hair but it can take many months to see a significant difference, it took me 4 months and my hair is lighter naturally than yours, honey may take you to a warm chestnut colour but not light enough to get the red you want.
I think you'd get a nice darker red with henna, but please do be sure your 110% committed to being a red forever, it is possible to remove but it's a pita!

MissAlida
August 30th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I say don't bleach, but do a strand test. I did henna for the first time yesterday, and my hair is much darker than yours. It looks a vibrant red in direct sunlight, and dark chestnut indoors. Do a strand test first, and see if you like the color. I would advice you to just use henna without bleaching. You might find, that a darker red can be just as pretty as the lighter ones. And you keep your hair healthy.:)